rocket

Should we scrap bandit models?

No' date=' keep the bandit skin. Remove the humanity system entirely. Make skin selection either via website or ingame command, (/skin bandit, /skin survivor_black2) and have the changes take effect on respawn so you don't have to worry about the inventory related bugs associated with dynamic skin changing/scanning and replacing dynamic backpack contents.

[/quote']

I thought skins changing on respawn and lasting until you brought your humanity up + died, sort of like reincarnating into whatever depending on the actions in your past life. A bit far out there but you never know :p

Leave them in.

It provides consequence for killing survivors. It gives motivation to heal someone injured.

Is there a maximum value for positive or negative humanity? More player textures could be added for various levels of each.

They should definitely go. So boring to be able to tell a murderer from a mile away. However, there should be some sort of a replacement system that enables people to distinguish each other, as I have suggested here.

Can't vote rocket. no permission.

my vote is to scape them, they do not bring anything to the game and the bandit status isn't reliable anyway.

If the skin switching system is causing trouble and hinder the implementation of more important features, you should scrape it, simply for the sake of moving forward, even if it means to re implement it later.

I also can't vote, no permission.

But my vote is to scrap them, but maybe keep them as a skin you can pick at the start of the game in case you want that skin. I'd like the skin, but not the stigma that goes with it.

I also can't vote' date=' no permission.

But my vote is to scrap them, but maybe keep them as a skin you can pick at the start of the game in case you want that skin. I'd like the skin, but not the stigma that goes with it.

[/quote']

Skippy i think that's actually the problem.

I aven't touched arma mission scripting for a while, but to change a player's skin after he spawned you have to do a lot of juggling if i recall (basically kill him, respawn him in a different body and transfer his gear, but i could be wrong)

I'd rather see that we get to pick our appearance at the slot selection screen by picking a slot (it's already the case i think excepted all slots are named the same so we can't know which we picked) it would be a decent temporary solution while rocket get more important things done.

I say scrap them. It is not fair to have a model which distinguishes someone as a player killer, especially given that you could be switched to this model when defending yourself against one.

TKJ

Don'r scrap them, but give diversity by making different skins as Bandit and Suvivor. E.g. bandits have random german ksk, and survivor have random of their type.

Can also be based on the humanity factor. Have differnt skin on diffrent ammount of humanity.

Yes.

Makes little sense from a realism standpoint and PVP mechanics are better handled by players. It boxes you into a role b/c being a bandit forces you to shoot everyone on sight. (They will sure as hell shoot you if you don't.)

Don'r scrap them' date=' but give diversity by making different skins as Bandit and Suvivor. E.g. bandits have random german ksk, and survivor have random of their type. Can also be based on the humanity factor. Have differnt skin on diffrent ammount of humanity.[/quote']

I disagree, and I think the humanity factor should also be scrapped on the face of it. People may want to be bad guys one day, and good guys the next. Humanity/morality limits that.

Makes little sense from a realism standpoint and PVP mechanics are better handled by players. It boxes you into a role b/c being a bandit forces you to shoot everyone on sight. (They will sure as hell shoot you if you don't.)

Hear, hear!

TKJ

Yes.

This is all that needs to be said.

If they give you trouble, scrap them. For a replacement way to tell if someone is a bandit immediately, how about making the font colour red when a bandit player name show up in front of you (by default, it's green, isn't it?)? Also hoping for character skin choice at character creation (if possible), can always bring back the old bandit skin in that.

There should be no indication of if someone is a bandit. If this game is to be seriously realistic, there should be no visual indication of a person's stance.

This poll (that doesn't work) was started eons ago, in the DayZ time frame anyway. If they were going to pull the bandit skins don't you think it would have already happened?

I suspect that they are working pretty well now. There have been changes to the humanity side of things that seem more refined and probably a lot of coding on the back end that we as players never see. It could very well be that *something* needs to act as a balance and the bandit skins are the best option available at this time. Click back a few pages and read all the posts... how many bandits do you think are here complaining?

Removing them at this point might well break a fairly well established set of dynamics. Think about it... no more bandits? What does that do for trust between players now? Everyone just shoots everyone because at least some of them are bandits but since you can no longer tell visually why take the chance at all?

Removing the bandit skins, without a more advanced alternative to take their place, is NOT the same thing as just winding the clock back to the time before there were bandit skins, is it?

I suspect that they are working pretty well now. There have been changes to the humanity side of things that seem more refined and probably a lot of coding on the back end that we as players never see. It could very well be that *something* needs to act as a balance and the bandit skins are the best option available at this time. Click back a few pages and read all the posts... how many bandits do you think are here complaining?

Removing them at this point might well break a fairly well established set of dynamics. Think about it... no more bandits? What does that do for trust between players now? Everyone just shoots everyone because at least some of them are bandits but since you can no longer tell visually why take the chance at all?

Removing the bandit skins' date=' without a more advanced alternative to take their place, is NOT the same thing as just winding the clock back to the time before there were bandit skins, is it?

[/quote']

Regardless of the opinion, (and of course, this may only be my opinion) having people who are labeled due to their past actions is not a fair mechanic, regardless of the intent.

TKJ

Regardless of the opinion' date=' (and of course, this may only be my opinion) having people who are labeled due to their past actions is not a fair mechanic, regardless of the intent.

TKJ

[/quote']

Perhaps you'd like to share what you think are "fair" mechanics? Remember, this is a game and requires certain certain conditions to be maintained to resemble reality... because it's NOT reality. You haven't stated anything I can argue with so please don't take this reply the wrong way... If you have a better idea (without stirring up the old PVP sissy fight stuff again), please share.

Perhaps you'd like to share what you think are "fair" mechanics? Remember' date=' this is a game and requires certain certain conditions to be maintained to resemble reality... because it's NOT reality. You haven't stated anything I can argue with so please don't take this reply the wrong way... If you have a better idea (without stirring up the old PVP sissy fight stuff again), please share.

[/quote']

No offense taken. I have a really thick skin.

;)

My concern is with the humanity system as a whole. You have a whole segment of players who are forced into looking a certain way, which has been shown to cause distrust, because of their actions in-game. I've never seen a game that has had this before, and it gives one side an obvious advantage - you KNOW the bandit character has done some questionable things, because they're wearing a different skin altogether!

Imagine this for immersion. A bad guy player uses the 'long con' and infiltrates a group of players. He plays with them for hours, and when he's ready to spring his trap, he kills every one of them. He has the ability to do this, because he shares the same attributes. Now, with the humanity system, he's labeled as a bad guy from the onset. There's no trust, and a player team is even more likely to dispose of 'his kind' because of the way he looks.

That, in a nutshell, is my concern. When the bandit style player starts, he's at a disadvantage.

TKJ

Perhaps you'd like to share what you think are "fair" mechanics? Remember' date=' this is a game and requires certain certain conditions to be maintained to resemble reality... because it's NOT reality. You haven't stated anything I can argue with so please don't take this reply the wrong way... If you have a better idea (without stirring up the old PVP sissy fight stuff again), please share.

[/quote']

No offense taken. I have a really thick skin.

;)

My concern is with the humanity system as a whole. You have a whole segment of players who are forced into looking a certain way, which has been shown to cause distrust, because of their actions in-game. I've never seen a game that has had this before, and it gives one side an obvious advantage - you KNOW the bandit character has done some questionable things, because they're wearing a different skin altogether!

Imagine this for immersion. A bad guy player uses the 'long con' and infiltrates a group of players. He plays with them for hours, and when he's ready to spring his trap, he kills every one of them. He has the ability to do this, because he shares the same attributes. Now, with the humanity system, he's labeled as a bad guy from the onset. There's no trust, and a player team is even more likely to dispose of 'his kind' because of the way he looks.

That, in a nutshell, is my concern. When the bandit style player starts, he's at a disadvantage.

TKJ

Fair enough and true enough... if the humanity system wasn't currently capable of turning a bandit back into a regular survivor in a reasonable amount of time. I don't shoot every bandit I see on sight (I am much more cautious) and not every bandit I run into comes at me with guns a blazing. But I detest long winded posts and threads about PVP/antiPVP so I won't go there...

Rather I would like you to consider that the bandit skin, like it or not, is very much a part of this game... now. To reverse that might cause even more chaos and distrust in the game, especially with easy communication (DC) still being a bit "iffy". I really don't want to punish the guy that wants to take the "long con" nor do I think anyone that was serious about pulling off such a job impeded from doing so. But I also don't want to see anything make the already fragile enviroment of grouping and limited trust worse. Maybe taking away the skin would have that effect and maybe it wouldn't. I don't know. I think things are working pretty well as they are at this point. Do I want them to change? Well, it's an alpha and I signed on knowing that. I only hope that any future changes will improve the game for the majority of players rather than damage it.