ripbabyg@hotmail.co.uk

DayZ Development Blog #1: The end of the beginning

Yeah I remember him saying he would like to bring it out by the end of the year but I don't think it's realistic tbh.

It is. He is probably porting the current state of the alpha to the standalone and develops it from there. Also it has been said by some official in the forum that they are working simultaneously on the Mod and the Standalone, and that they want new content for the Alpha of the Standalone to be ready when it comes out, so players don't feel ripped off when they just bought Arma2:CO - e.g. base building, better animations and stuff like that.

Minecraft... I'm sorry, but those games don't entertain me what-so-ever... I used to play with lego when I was a kid.

Let the trolling begin...

Lol know what ya mean. I took a look at it and was amazed people actually pay money for that pos.

Yeah... not surprised.

I'm sorry to say it but it just shows how much of a disaster Rocket is at PR and at keeping the community informed about everything.

Sorry, but a message on twitter is not enough.

Seriously, it takes 10-20 minutes to write a post on this forum letting people know what happened and what are the current plans.

I know probably Rocket didn't go into a really fine details with Bohemia about how the development of this game should continue but the very least, he should clarify if players should wait for 1.7.2.5 or we might as well forget about it because 1.7.2.4 is going to be the last release until a new alpha version (if any) will be made available with the new game engine/standalone game.

Locking a thread dedicated to 1.7.2.5 and 1.7.2.4 feedback for "one hour" and then forgetting about it for days is NOT NICE.

Delaying the release of an alpha just because there's a game convention or an occasion for you to show off the game and not letting the actual people that root for you and support you know about it is NOT NICE.

You have people checking every hour or so this forum, hoping to get some kind of fix or news about the 1.7.2.5 patch to get the artifacts fix and there's no news about that for days now. NOT NICE.

It is. He is probably porting the current state of the alpha to the standalone and develops it from there. Also it has been said by some official in the forum that they are working simultaneously on the Mod and the Standalone, and that they want new content for the Alpha of the Standalone to be ready when it comes out, so players don't feel ripped off when they just bought Arma2:CO - e.g. base building, better animations and stuff like that.

I remember reading that the DayZ code back at 1.6.0 worked with builds of Arma 3, albeit with glitches of course lol.

When I think about it, its a really smart development cycle.

They're already working on the gameplay with the current DayZ mod, and now they get to design and iron out the kinks for the new standalone alpha engine while still evolving gameplay.

If you watch some of the Arma III videos and see how complete the engine is you will see that the possibility of a Dayz standalone coming out pretty soon is quite good.

There is a huge detailed map already done with every building enterable and destroyable.

The near future setting is described as "semi post apocalyptic" already.

There are lots of civilian character models pretty easy to modify for Dayz characters / zombies.

(skip 1st minute)

• Like 1

Oh and this one

Uniform swapping nice and easy.

So much nice stuff in there.

Smoke blowing in the wind, destroyable scenery, physics simulation, rag dolls on bodies, weapon customisation, fantastic landscapes.

I'm def excited :)

Edited by Strategos
  • Like 1

Yeah... not surprised.

[blah blah blah]

You have people checking every hour or so this forum, hoping to get some kind of fix or news about the 1.7.2.5 patch to get the artifacts fix and there's no news about that for days now. NOT NICE.

Why wouldn't you be following twitter as well as checking the forums if you were so anxious for a fix?

I just happened to come across the announcement (missed it on twitter actually) because I just got home, checked out a couple of streams to put on, and its all over the chat rooms. Same thing happens for the patches too.

Why wouldn't you be following twitter as well as checking the forums if you were so anxious for a fix?

I just happened to come across the announcement (missed it on twitter actually) because I just got home, checked out a couple of streams to put on, and its all over the chat rooms. Same thing happens for the patches too.

Because if you check the twitter, he doesn't announce there when a new alpha/patch/version is released, or it's announced very, very late. As far as I know, there was no announcement for 1.7.2.4, he just edited his first post and put links to the torrent file after there were already 50+ pages of discussion about the 1.7.2.4 future release... the twitter post was hours later.

There's also nothing about 1.7.2.5 on Twitter yet he posted on forum stuff about what's fixed or improved.

And why should I check Twitter? Isn't this a community forum? Why is there a Dayz Announcements in the forum? To hear about this on Twitter or Reddit?

Just kill the forum then and force all players to use Twitter.

Players and fans shouldn't chase news on Twitter, Facebook (don't even have account there), Tumblr (what the f**k is wrong with this domain or "dayzgame.com" or whatever, what's the point of dayzdev.tumblr.com, how do I know it's even official and not a fake rumor spreading website by the way?)

That's what the forum and the website is for.

Edited by mariush

Because if you check the twitter, he doesn't announce there when a new alpha/patch/version is released, or it's announced very, very late. As far as I know, there was no announcement for 1.7.2.4, he just edited his first post and put links to the torrent file after there were already 50+ pages of discussion about the 1.7.2.4 future release... the twitter post was hours later.

There's also nothing about 1.7.2.5 on Twitter yet he posted on forum stuff about what's fixed or improved.

And why should I check Twitter? Isn't this a community forum? Why is there a Dayz Announcements in the forum? To hear about this on Twitter or Reddit?

Just kill the forum then and force all players to use Twitter.

Players and fans shouldn't chase news on Twitter, Facebook (don't even have account there), Tumblr (what the f**k is wrong with this domain or "dayzgame.com" or whatever, what's the point of dayzdev.tumblr.com, how do I know it's even official and not a fake rumor spreading website by the way?)

That's what the forum and the website is for.

Now you're just sounding lazy.

And why should I check Twitter? Isn't this a community forum? Why is there a Dayz Announcements in the forum?

THIS.

I don't use Twitter, But i happen to have an account of the official forums.

Why am i hearing info second hand by seeing a thread about a twitter post?

Simply needs to be a pinned thread, locked for all but Rocket and admins, to post up to date info on mod/game development.

Could have it as even one post, just edit and update the OP as new info comes.

Edited by Never

Details.....we all really want details. Even a tentative date would be fun :)

Also, dayzgame.com is one of the ugliest sites ever. Give me one hour (or another talented fan an hour) and we can put something together that is functional and looks good. ;)

I don't know if to be happy or disappointed because I just bought Arma 2 CO for 30$, but anyways it's gonna be amazing to see this mod becoming an standalone game, finally!

Not too sure why people don't understand that Rocket will be up to his eyeballs in meetings, not just with his company but many others offering him all kinds of business propositions. Good things come to those who wait, and in this case, great things are coming.

People need to relax and not expect everything to just come at the snap of a finger. I know we are at a time when we are used to things being instant with social media being so accessible etc. but you have to remember Rocket has been pretty much alone for the duration of the development.

There's times when i'm reading this forum and all I can picture is the scene of the seagulls from Finding Nemo.

"MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

Relax. Good things are coming.

• Like 1

Congrats Rocket and crew! You guys rock and deserve this. Can't wait to check out the goods, I am hooked!

Oh and congrats DayZ communtiy!

*Edited yup sure was*

Edited by Pendragon

That are good news! Great!

Zombie apocalypse is coming and I am with it :D

All I ask is that it will be sufficiently optimized. I'm already playing at the peak of my computer's performance at nearly the lowest settings, so I hope the Arma 3 graphical improvements won't be that taxing (or will be actually properly optimized this time...), or can be turned off without compromising said performance.

• Like 1

Curious.. I was reading the main page and noticed this. Now I know Rocket works for BIS, but wouldn't it require Rocket giving/selling the Dayz IP to BIS in order for them to put this there?

DAYZ™ and Bohemia Interactive™ are trademarks of Bohemia Interactive.

It does. Rocket has been in talks with BI and several other large corporations on whom to partner up with to make DayZ. We all know Rocket is most familiar with Arma 2's engine, and working on it will make a quicker and easier release for him and us than going to another company for another engine.

Putting it on the arma II engine will be the biggest waste of money in video gaming history.

It's already on the ArmA2 engine. There are a million people with ArmA2/DayZ and now they will have to buy another game just to play DayZ.

it says people who already have DayZ can carry on as we are now, does that mean we wont have to buy the stand alone game? surely we'll have to get a different version unless they 'merge' them or have I gone completely off track?