jaymurphy98@hotmail.co.uk

A Question directed to rocket.

Seeming as this game is being considered becoming a stand-alone game, what happens to those who have already gotten the mod itself? Would they have to then buy DayZ when/if it becomes stand-alone or would they be emailed a code for the game. Seeing as lots of people have bought ARMAII for this growing Mod I was curious of how the mechanics would work for the people already playing and enjoying the Mod.

Seeming as this game is being considered becoming a stand-alone game, what happens to those who have already gotten the mod itself? Would they have to then buy DayZ when/if it becomes stand-alone or would they be emailed a code for the game. Seeing as lots of people have bought ARMAII for this growing Mod I was curious of how the mechanics would work for the people already playing and enjoying the Mod.

You haven't bought DayZ, when it's standalone, you will have to buy DayZ. Horrible question.

He stated in one of the interviews that going stand alone will hold many new additions and he will be trying to add enough to make it worth the additional money for the standalone. If I find the video I will post it.

Maybe you should consider 'search'. Hes been up this road quite alot and is thinking about how he would do it (minecraft model is his favorite afaik).

Either way standalone != a mod, you can be more then expected to have to pay for it in some way.

have to agree... you bought arma II .. dayz is free lol but im not flaming its a honest question. all i know is when its standalone ill happily put down the money even if i have to go without food for abit. lol just need me and my beans

You bought ArmaII not Dayz. Dayz is just a free mod. If its becoming a stand alone game you surely have to buy it. They ve planned to do it the minecraft-way. You will be able to buy it once its getting to a stand alone status. While at beta phase it will cost less. If you buy it when its fully finished and released it will cost the max.

If you read what I said I never said that we bought DayZ, I say many have bought ARMAII FOR DayZ...

So what? You bought a game to play a mod, this was your decision. There wont be any other solution for this since they wont give dayz for free to every one who bought Arma2. There are still people playing ArmaII who dont care about dayz. You wanted to play dayz alpha mod and had to buy armaII. Later on you want to play dayz stand alone and have to buy it.

It would be cool if the DayZ team imported your user ID into the standalone and possibly offer those ID's that were active during Alpha a special skin or outfit, or maybe a symbol on your profile on the website that denotes Alpha cred.

Silly people like me eat that stuff up.

• Like 1

I had same doubt and I'm sure we'll have to pay again for it. I'm sure it will be worth it tho, unless it's another 60€ game (retarded price for a game if you ask me), in which case I'll consider waiting for a sale or something.

I had same doubt and I'm sure we'll have to pay again for it. I'm sure it will be worth it tho, unless it's another 60€ game (retarded price for a game if you ask me), in which case I'll consider waiting for a sale or something.

Honestly i hope they make it cost around 20 bucks (maybe 10-15 during beta) and have some monthly payment system which will allow them to run their own 200+ servers without lags and server admin abuse. Little CoD/BF3 kids will then take a circle around this game cause mum is not going to pay 10 bucks for her sun to slay zombies. It would also allow them to invest much more money into some nice addons/patches/dayz2.

If you read what I said I never said that we bought DayZ, I say many have bought ARMAII FOR DayZ...

We know, we just assumed you didn't know their was a difference since you asked such an idiotic question. Obviously you will have to pay to play the game when it's standalone.

Monthly payment would be horrible, and CodBFkids moms have no problem paying 69.90 for a game.

Honestly i hope they make it cost around 20 bucks (maybe 10-15 during beta) and have some monthly payment system which will allow them to run their own 200+ servers without lags and server admin abuse. Little CoD/BF3 kids will then take a circle around this game cause mum is not going to pay 10 bucks for her sun to slay zombies. It would also allow them to invest much more money into some nice addons/patches/dayz2.

Lol, $20, so you don't want them to make a profit? Likely be $15-25 in the early stages and around $40 for the finished product. This is one of the few games I wouldn't mind paying $60+ for.

Monthly payment would be horrible, and CodBFkids moms have no problem paying 69.90 for a game.

Monthly subs insure constant attention/updates. a $5-10 would be just fine with me. More than that I would have to say kma. Of course I would only agree with a monthly sub if the game itself were a free dl.

Lol, $20, so you don't want them to make a profit? Likely be $15-25 in the early stages and around $40 for the finished product. This is one of the few games I wouldn't mind paying $60+ for.

i truly want them to make profit. this is the reason why i want them to have some monthly payment (at least make it an option so you can play on servers they would host).

isnt it true that 20 bucks + monthly payment is bringing more money in then a 40 bucks pay to play?

The fact that we bought Arma II is our choice knowing that we could play DayZ for free. Do you honestly think that they could afford to just make a standalone DayZ for free for the hundreds of thousands that bought ArmA? Sorry but they will have to charge indiscriminately.

Monthly fees? No thanks.

Go for 15-25$ price and microtransaction for cosmetic items (i'm sure devs can create cool skins for clothing or weapons)

Also I think people really underestimate the amount of people who will buy the game for 15-25$ but won't for 50+$ and more people equals more possible future sales (if the tell their friends or post review/opinions in forums). If you add microtransactions to this, it's even better to have more people rather than higher price.

For instance, the new Counter Strike is coming this month and it will be only 15$

isnt it true that 20 bucks + monthly payment is bringing more money in then a 40 bucks pay to play?

I don't think so. Monthly payment will "scare" people away, resulting in less sales overall and probably less income.

Edited by Arkod

Monthly fees? No thanks.

Go for 15-25$ price and microtransaction for cosmetic items (i'm sure devs can create cool skins for clothing or weapons)

Also I think people really underestimate the amount of people who will buy the game for 15-25$ but won't for 50+$ and more people equals more possible future sales (if the tell their friends or post review/opinions in forums). If you add microtransactions to this, it's even better to have more people rather than higher price.

For instance, the new Counter Strike is coming this month and it will be only 15$

I don't think so. Monthly payment will "scare" people away, resulting in less sales overall and probably less income.

Have you heard of games such as EvE and world of warcraft?

You would be surprised at how much money can be made from a monthly charge - imagine if they sold a game for $100, thats $100 in pocket. Now imagine a game that you have to pay $15 a month to play and a person plays the game on and off for a year. Wow being the big example here, its $15 a month. How long has that game been out for? Lets say a person bought that when it was released and paid each month since.... the mind boggles.

Dayz is a highly addictive game. I could see it working quite well for the developers pockets. People are willing to spend $40+ for Arma just to play the mod.... Why not $X a month.

Edited by NZStalker

when they would have monthly payments for the game then noone will play it anymore. people will porbably go to WarZ (theres a free dayZ knockoff in the making). i think it should be around 15-20 euros (5-10 euros in beta) and have 3rd party servers and some official ones.but the monthly payment thing... no-no... we dont want another WoW...

in my opinion, they should have a donate button (im pretty sure loads of people will donate money, when they know that the money goes towards making DayZ a heck of a lot better).

when they would have monthly payments for the game then noone will play it anymore. people will porbably go to WarZ (theres a free dayZ knockoff in the making). i think it should be around 15-20 euros (5-10 euros in beta) and have 3rd party servers and some official ones.but the monthly payment thing... no-no... we dont want another WoW...

It's not a Dayz knock off and it's not free...

Yeah, and I hope we get Arma 3 free since we payed for Arma 2 as well.

Have you heard of games such as EvE and world of warcraft?

You would be surprised at how much money can be made from a monthly charge - imagine if they sold a game for $100, thats $100 in pocket. Now imagine a game that you have to pay $15 a month to play and a person plays the game on and off for a year. Wow being the big example here, its $15 a month. How long has that game been out for? Lets say a person bought that when it was released and paid each month since.... the mind boggles.

Dayz is a highly addictive game. I could see it working quite well for the developers pockets. People are willing to spend $40+ for Arma just to play the mod.... Why not $X a month.

You shouldn't compare DayZ to real MMORPG giants like WoW. World of Warcraft is the most played MMO because when it came out there was no more than 1 or 2 other "good" MMOs. Since it became popular people kept playing it and paying monthly fees.

Things have changed from release of WoW to today. People doesn't want to pay monthly fees because there are other free games, maybe not as good, but free. Just look at latest MMOs that came out: Aion went f2p, SWTOR is going f2p, Tera may go f2p from what I heard, Guild Wars 2 is coming out in 3 weeks and won't have monthly fees either.

If you translate this to DayZ it happens to be a survival zombie ""MMO"" FPS and probably its competitor is War Z (I've no idea about war Z at all, but I heard it's very similar...). Even tho DayZ it's original and kinda unique it's still a FPS, in a FPS generation and I don't think it's unique enough to charge monthly for it.

PS: Yes, I know it's still an Alpha and a lot of things can change until release, but I don't think that going for monthly fees is a good decision, for any game today. We, as gamers, are abused enough with the f*ck ton of DLCs that should've came out with the original, 60$/€, game. I'm not willing to pay monthly fees and you shouldn't either. There are other ways for making money of this game outside monthly payments or abusive release price.

I think it's pretty obvious that probably 95% of the people playing DayZ bought Arma 2 specifically for it. I think if you own Arma 2 already and have played DayZ (If you have a hive character present or something?) that you should get a discount or something. Maybe like 25-50% off DayZ. I understand why it shouldn't be free, but let's be honest most of us bought Arma 2 specifically for this mod.

Edited by Yatagan