rocket

Pending Build Progess: 1.5.9

I was travelling wit a pair friends a couple days ago, we were wondering through the wilderness, trying to return to our camp site, but it started to rain and one of them got sick, from that moment on we tried to lag behind, gave him a map and compass and told him to lead the way. We didn't want to catch an infection, and felt bad for ostracising him, but it was our only option, he eventually understood and tried to keep his distance, as we were unsure how close you had to be for the infection to spread.. It's a really cool feature, and greatly adds to the immersion while travelling, as you have to ensure you have the correct supplies to start and maintain fires for warmth.

I only hope that antibiotics don't decrease in rarity too much, maybe a little, but still it's a rare item that should be kept as such.

Also, I haven't heard any mention regarding the vehicles from you Rocket, are you avoiding it for this patch or is it going to be something we'll see in 1.5.9?(Just saw the post) some of my friends' interest in playing together has waned as once we've found weapons and such, all we're doing is maintaining our supplies, or meeting up again if we get hit by Bandits or the like.

I team up with my son online and the first time I heard his character cough, my immediate concern was his welfare. First, because he IS my son and even though this is a virtual reality, morality and compassion still carry over into your actions. My first thought was to get his character next to a fire to get it warmed up. To do that, we had to cease our current route and move to an isolated area where no one would see the firelight since it was dark. Once he was warmed, the infection still lingered and so the need for antibiotics, and where to get them became my next concern. On this point, perhaps allowing antibiotics to spawn in random homes would be appropriate, since many families do stockpile certain medicine to counter the common cold? So immersion was definitely there.

The good and bad thing is that the next log on, spawned us in different locations and his cold was gone but our situation had changed, obviously, and immersion was broken.

I really like the temperature system, it really adds to the immersion. I think the rates could be tweaked a little though. Maybe a little slower losing temp in the rain and a little faster gaining temp inside. I lost like 50% running around in the rain for 10 minutes and gained 2% in 10 minutes (rough estimates, don't remember exact values) when I finally found a safe interior.

I like how you can get a cough as well, really ups the intensity/paranoia when you're sneaking around and you are coughing. It would be cool if you could find cough drops for temporary relief.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGh

yes vehicles will be fixed.

Good feedback on temp. Please anyone else with their experiences/feelings in situations where it has been applied.

The vehicles should get colds.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGh

yes vehicles will be fixed.

Good feedback on temp. Please anyone else with their experiences/feelings in situations where it has been applied.

The only issue i find with temp is that, since it's a game, you can't really know what's the temperature out there, except whent it's obvious (rain, night). Sometimes, i stayed 15 minutes without losing a single %, sometimes i lost 5 in that same lapse.

I think an "external temperature" indicator would be good too.

Also, good for vehicles (will they respawn now ? And will choppers stop to have an unrepairable leak )?

What I really want to know' date=' is how you felt about it in game. Did it seem fitting? Or did it feel wrong? How did it affect your immersion? How did it affect the way your teammates felt about you?

[/quote']

I like it.

The cold adds a nice bit of immersion, and danger too. I mean, who wants to go sneeky sneeky with a buddy who's coughing and spluttering? You need the extra man so you'll take him any way but it does raise the tension a tad.

I want to know if I got this right.

You loose temperature depending on where u are, if it's day or night and if it's raining.

If you drop below a certain number u can or will get an infection which doesn't have any efect yet.

If you are around other players they can get an infection too but only if they also got a low temp.

If ur temp drops below 30 u start shaking.

Please correct if there is anything wrong and add things I missed.

What the temperature system took from me was laying for an hour under a pinetree (love the pinetrees) at night near a town just enjoying the night, looking at the stars and having a smoke whilst reflecting on the day. and following wonderful events unfolding in sidechat Please give me sleeping bags that keep you warm when you are stationary.. (sure they can be rare as fuck) give it a penalty of getting out of it like 10 seconds perhaps or so.

I know I have a silly playstyle. Being alone in the woods up north simply raiding for food and water and simply hiding under bushes with my binoculars for stretches of time but after the initial chaos of the beach and securing some decent gear it is a great moment of immersion for me with a "now what" feeling that a real apoc victim would feel aswell. Then the loneliness hits and you think about teaming up perhaps, but who and how.. and can you trust them.

I'm just afraid it becomes too much of a "look at the temp nr" game, lack of stats only adds to immersion, and this is really a number im looking at, doesnt really mean anything to me other than that it has to stay above a certain thing. hunger and thirst are more analogue properties. Perhaps you could add tea, and make that to stay warm for long stretches of time?

Just some thoughts :)

Temp still seems to drop a little fast.

Considering I got matches already and all I need is wood.

It sometimes just isn't found in the first town and temp drops so fast in rain I don't have a chance of making it to another town.

My only choice is to log out and be alive and well on another server or get sick and killed.

Wood glitches out of my inventory every time I think also.

I have yet to have wood stored in a tent or bag, stay there.

It just vanishes and if anything leaves 1-2 weird blank slots.

Tends to do this when picking up / storing more items or when logging out of a server and back in.

I think only character inventory is not affected this way but I can't spend the whole game holding onto piles of wood.

Space is too precious... I rather log and switch servers.

Sleeping bags would be awesome. I absolutely love this idea.

What I really want to know' date=' is how you felt about it in game. Did it seem fitting? Or did it feel wrong? How did it affect your immersion? How did it affect the way your teammates felt about you?

[/quote']

I think that it needs some more work, but that it will overall increase immersion.

The current illness may not seem to everyone too bad, but I have been down to the 2k blood I would now loose for being sick many times. Illness, I am sure, will be the tie breaker between life and death for many people.

When we first heard about illness coming out we talked about having to kick the sick person from the group until they are better to prevent everyone else from becoming sick and lowering our combat potential as a unit. However the sickness is not that much of an inconvenience, really. I got within 10 feet of zombies while coughing and prone, and they did not care. The cough should attract a larger radius, but not too large. I really couldn't say how much larger, just that the current does not seem to be enough. I never attracted a zombie going through towns sick and coughing.

I was really interested in the mental / group issue with sickness. As I said, we toyed with the idea of kicking people out for a time until we realized that the sickness is not that bad. The spreading rate should be more like a plague as I didn't infect them while traveling for an hour sick, so that groups are seriously forced into the decision.

Along with that though, as I said, it is not too bad. Increasing the cough aggo radius will be a large improvement, but I feel as if there should be something more to make it really unappealing to be sick. Possibly another coma like feature, where you stop moving make throwing up sounds? You cannot move for like half a minute due to puking, your food drops dramatically since you just threw it all up, water drops a lot. Both of those just generally drop quicker while sick. Basically, sickness would be a serious factor rather than a minor inconvenience.

I also noticed it is too short to ever make me want to get antibiotics even if these features or similar ones were to be implemented. It only seemed to last for an hour or so each time I got sick, but should last for at least a good day if not a few. If you only have a crippling illness for an hour you can hide in a building or the forest, but if you have it for 2 days you are forced to live with it and still attempt to function alone or as a group.

Implementing some more sickness features to make it pretty much terrible and a much more likely death sentence would make groups be forced to decide. Leave a man behind, or risk infecting everyone? If people start puking in a fire fight or while running, they are likely to die unless the others guard them, risking their lives as well then. Food and water will be a usually sought after thing rather than something I go for every couple of days (normally keep 3 of each on me) and dangerous hospital raids in major cities will become a constant thing. Again, leave a man behind or risk shooting up a glass wall in a major city and fighting off hordes of zombies and players? It will become a very large aspect of the game, and add much needed drama.

What would really be intense is infection that eventually kills the player (they respawn as normal) and leaves a zombie in their place. THAT would create some great "HE WAS BITTEN WE GOTTA END HIM NOW!", "I WAS NOT I FELL ON A BRANCH!" moments.

Do you plan to release this soon? Or in several days. Since there are a decent amount of issues (giving blood repairing things like that) any chance of a hotfix for those? Because personally i love the changes you are making but i would prefer not to wait a week to give my buddy blood and fix our car. Just a couple interaction fixes would be nice.

The ability to increase body temp in the sunshine is perfect but using the command, "rain", to detect when it is actually raining and then implementing a countdown timer to reduce that body temp 1 degree/percent for every 15 minutes outside, would aid in immersion.

If you have any plans to really give this feature a lasting impression I would force the player into an ammo crate animation and have the unit play a vomit sound which attracts infected within 20 meters, if the character is allowed to drop to a specific body temp while a cold is contracted. This could also increase hunger by 20% for every hurl. After 4 hurls, the player passes out with an hourglass screen. This is not suppose to be like other games. If you're sick, you can't go outside to play with your friends, you can't go to work, you can't do chores. Your friends will either rally around you and do everything they can to help you or they will leave you for the wolves. The treachery will be ever so delightful.

Maybe don't have numbers for the temp-system. Instead like, "you feel cold." "you are warm."

"you are freezing" etc.

You can calculate with numbers and thats unrealistic.

Hey rocket,

did you look into the tent bug? We can't place any tents. Would be nice.

-snip good idea here due to large post size-

I agree a lot. If you saw my super post a page back I also would love to see a puking animation and hunger/thirst increase. I did not think of passing out after so many times, but that is an amazing addition. I want to see sickness being a SERIOUS downside, and something that really makes people go "Holy shit! That dudes sick, we gotta go!" or "Shoot him! Quick, before he kills us all!" and so on. People will fear being sick because they are likely to die and antibiotics are rare enough that almost every will simply need to ride it out for the day or two (hopefully) that they have it.

Do you plan to release this soon? Or in several days. Since there are a decent amount of issues (giving blood repairing things like that) any chance of a hotfix for those? Because personally i love the changes you are making but i would prefer not to wait a week to give my buddy blood and fix our car. Just a couple interaction fixes would be nice.

Indeed. Many of us are waiting for an update to start playing again. The body dissapearing fix is what Im waiting for. Im together with a couple players with good gear, if one of us is down we want to protect his body and kit. Or atleast be able to get his from his body properly. Unfortunately they dissapear now. So we are waiting. Patch ETA?

The update will be released today

Looking good! You're making patches with insane rate, you're the best! :P

Can't wait to see the full patch notes :) Keep up the good work!

[/quote']

It makes total sense. What one is exposed to will have consequences. Rain and cold in the combination is a killer. I appreciate the feeling of having fallen into an unbearable situation for me to solve or accept my doom (which is not an option). The only thing that felt less convincing is that I can not raise my body temperature by running around. It's a, I dare to say, more or less classical way to keep warm, as long as you have the energy that is.

Which leads into this with endurance, stamina - with a really low body temperature, or if you're sick, you should not be able to perform as you normally do. You should get out of breath after just a short distance running, and not be able to maintain full speed. The same applies in case of injury.

What other type of feedback do you need. I mean, what seems most pressing to the dev team at this point?