scoffield77@gmail.com

Electric and Natural lighting's V 4.0

also, IF/when the power is turned on, significantly increase the number of zombies that spawn? xD

in every film i have seen, zombies are attracted to light.. usually big fucking waves of them :)

I WANT MOAR! :trollface:

Light and electricity should influence on the stamina and health of your character.

Preventing him from getting sick and let him be free of the "panic" faster.

It should also be transportable.

Let's just say that a group took all of those and assembled it in a building (yeah in my POV , generators should only give electricity to an area and only if the cables are in a good shape.) and want to put it elswhere , they disamble it and take it away.

But other players can aslo do that and steal the generator!

And to finish what i sayed earlier , you must also "fix" the electric network of the building you're in or it won't work.

We could add maps just for the electricity network.

Now imagine , bandits trying to raid a group , they see that there's electricity , they check on the electricity network for cables around the building , they sneak around and cut one of the cables , boom one part of the building have no electricity (which cause a huge noise , attracting more zeds) and take advantage of the panic and steal the generator (and kill the group).

Electricity should also be used to power-up everydays object like a micro-wave , making it easier to cook meals (giving more blood)etc etc

And of course the more you use it , the faster the fuel runs low.

(Light and electricity should influence on the stamina and health of your character.

Preventing him from getting sick and let him be free of the "panic" faster.)

Let's just say that a group took all of those and assembled it in a building (yeah in my POV ' date=' generators should only give electricity to an area and only if the cables are in a good shape.) and want to put it elswhere , they disamble it and take it away.

But other players can aslo do that and steal the generator!

And to finish what i sayed earlier , you must also "fix" the electric network of the building you're in or it won't work.

We could add maps just for the electricity network.

Now imagine , bandits trying to raid a group , they see that there's electricity , they check on the electricity network for cables around the building , they sneak around and cut one of the cables , boom one part of the building have no electricity (which cause a huge noise , attracting more zeds) and take advantage of the panic and steal the generator (and kill the group).

Electricity should also be used to power-up everydays object like a micro-wave , making it easier to cook meals (giving more blood)etc etc

And of course the more you use it , the faster the fuel runs low.

[/quote']

(Light and electricity should influence on the stamina and health of your character.)

Stamina Is fine Since you would be free off stress when In the light just not instant stamina heal!!...

Health on the other hand Is stupid why would going In the light heal you.. "except for alan wake"

(Preventing him from getting sick and let him be free of the "panic" faster.)

Preventing panic Is fine That's what a light source Is supposed to do

preventing sickness.... seriously? do I need to answer this!?

hmmm, radio tower - give location of downed helicopters?

(like a distress signal with co-ordinates)

hmmm' date=' radio tower - give location of downed helicopters?

[/quote']

Radio Tower: Could be used for long range speaking for when global chat ceases to be = a better radio... If there will be one's?

When we are talking about Generators' date=' we are talking about the big blue ones in the towns. They can't be moved lol

[/quote']

Unless you hook it into the Ural fuel truck that will be implemented to haul heaps of fuel :cool:

When we are talking about Generators' date=' we are talking about the big blue ones in the towns. They can't be moved lol

[/quote']

Unless you hook it into the Ural fuel truck that will be implemented to haul heaps of fuel :cool:

That would be cool ;) But those are a part of the map, and I don't think they could move at all lol. It would be nice to have a generator that you could transport but if there was it would have to be transported via vehicle

hmmm' date=' radio tower - give location of downed helicopters?

[/quote']

That's what I was thinking, and has already been hinted at from the ingame radios.

Advanced repairs on weapons/vehicles could require a powered functional workshop.

Nothing would be cooler than crawling through the woods, when you run into a road and want to cross it as silently as possible, until the lights turn on and you find yourself crowded by zombies.

Yes please

awesome idea. I'm all for this one. Would add another nice objective for you to go for in chernarus. I hope this makes the cut.

awesome idea. I'm all for this one. Would add another nice objective for you to go for in chernarus. I hope this makes the cut.

It has a good amount of support, I don't even have to bump it up, people do it for me ;)

I don't see why this wouldn't make the cut lol Imma count the supportive post Edited: 33 approve 0 disapprove

I didn't like this idea to begin with, but its grown on me. Personally I think full power-stations are a bit OTT. But buildings and small areas with emergency generators you could repair and fuel would be great I think.

Working generators could cause game to become too easy, why?

Assume generator output be 20kW. That means 166 working 120W lights. towns in chernarus have about 50 lights, total 6kW. Less than half than generator maximum output. Generator consumption on half load is 1 gallon/hour and jerry can carries 5 gallons.

Meaning you could keep town lit for 5h just one jerry can, that is if generator doesn´t break.

But still a great idea.

I didn't like this idea to begin with' date=' but its grown on me. Personally I think full power-stations are a bit OTT. But buildings and small areas with emergency generators you could repair and fuel would be great I think.

[/quote']

you're just saying that cause i'm 0 disapproves ;)

I understand through, and I think it is OTT too, but I think a little OTT is good. If you see my other suggestion, I talk about how Big power ball (optional) Objectives would promote group play and cause shoot on sight (witch I'm going to call SOS from now own) tactics to ease up.

Working generators could cause game to become too easy' date=' why?

Assume generator output be 20kW. That means 166 working 120W lights. towns in chernarus have about 50 lights, total 6kW. Less than half than generator maximum output. Generator consumption on half load is 1 gallon/hour and jerry can carries 5 gallons.

Meaning you could keep town lit for 5h just one jerry can, that is if generator doesn´t break.

But still a great idea.

[/quote']

well i wasn't really putting real life # in to the equation didn't see any need to..

I mean they didn't put the real life numbers about eating into gameplay, 30min with out food or water =/= real life ;)

Well if one generator is linked to one buildings, one compounds or maybe bigger ones that are harder to repair and harder to fuel for a section of town?

The game can impose arbitrary restrictions on it if necessary. Who knows whats drawing power unseen in a messed up system ?

Well if one generator is linked to one buildings' date=' one compounds or maybe bigger ones that are harder to repair and harder to fuel for a section of town?

The game can impose arbitrary restrictions on it if necessary. Who knows whats drawing power unseen in a messed up system ?

[/quote']

I don't really see the point of small generators powering 1 building ..It seems rather a hassle to carry a generator from building to building, I can see it powering radio towers and what not

Also.. Thanks for posting my link in your "My Good Suggestions" post I appreciate it :D

If I had to scale it, it would be like this

Power Plant-

Each powers half the map

Hard to repair(requires group to do in half days time)

attract a lot of zombies(can be damage by zombies)

requires fuel(holds a lot)

maintenance is above average

Controls Current flow

Blue Generators-

Powers 3/4 of town

Easy to repair (can do by your self)

attracts some zombies(can be damage by zombies)

runs out of gas fast

maintenance is average

Portable Generators

Powers a 10m radius around generator

needs no repair

attracts few zombies(can't be damage)

runs out of gas slowly

uses a lot of inv space

Rare to find

If i had to feel passionately about one, it would be the power plants. People bitch and moan about SOS(shoot on sight), The solution is to have Obj like the Power Plant or towns you can secure, that requires groups to do.

(like how the Heli is only captured by those who work in groups)

love this idea, i want it hard to do though...

power station needs coal so you'd have to fix up a train that spawns berezino or solnichny area, get that to elektro train station(possibly needing to defend it, change points etc).

fix the power station itself, turn on the power, but you'd need someone to flick a switch in the substations(may also need fixing) within 5 mins or so, or the electric won't go any further than that.

ie: fix elektro powerstation ONLY and ONLY cherno and elektro get 'lit up'.

fix elektro and all the substations and get the whole map lit(bearing in mind not all the bulbs etc will still be in good order, intermittant street lights and a few bulbs on supermarkets/petrol stations and the like).

maybe as a reward for getting it all lit a bunker on one of the airfields could open for ONLY 1 hour(after that the lights furthest from electro start failing) from full 'power up'(elektro AND all substations) the bunker would spawn all medicines/blood bags/good loot.

or generally 'better' loot would spawn everywhere as it's easier to spot things 'lit up'(same loot in the same places, less tin cans etc).

even if you do it to loot the bunker, everyone on the map would be slightly better equiped as a result.

would start to encourage less 'shoot first, shoot second and then maybe ask some questions' gameplay as it really would need cooperation, its unlikely that whoever fixed elektro powerstation could make it to the bunker in time to loot.

i'm not expecting this in the next patch ;)

love this idea' date=' i want it hard to do though...

power station needs coal so you'd have to fix up a train that spawns berezino or solnichny area, get that to elektro train station(possibly needing to defend it, change points etc).

fix the power station itself, turn on the power, but you'd need someone to flick a switch in the substations(may also need fixing) within 5 mins or so, or the electric won't go any further than that.

ie: fix elektro powerstation ONLY and ONLY cherno and elektro get 'lit up'.

fix elektro and all the substations and get the whole map lit(bearing in mind not all the bulbs etc will still be in good order, intermittant street lights and a few bulbs on supermarkets/petrol stations and the like).

maybe as a reward for getting it all lit a bunker on one of the airfields could open for ONLY 1 hour(after that the lights furthest from electro start failing) from full 'power up'(elektro AND all substations) the bunker would spawn all medicines/blood bags/good loot.

or generally 'better' loot would spawn everywhere as it's easier to spot things 'lit up'(same loot in the same places, less tin cans etc).

even if you do it to loot the bunker, everyone on the map would be slightly better equiped as a result.

would start to encourage less 'shoot first, shoot second and then maybe ask some questions' gameplay as it really would need cooperation, its unlikely that whoever fixed elektro powerstation could make it to the bunker in time to loot.

i'm not expecting this in the next patch ;)

[/quote']

I like your idea's but..

Honestly, I'm worried we are making it to complicated. If Rocket does decide to you this, let's pray he does, I don't want it to be so complicated it takes a half a year to get it working right and still have bugs on the other end.

It originally was suppose to be a drop in add on with slight modifications I linked to the script and everything. now it's turning in to 2 power plants 2 types of generators, trains, etc.

P.S. There are two power stations, 1 at Elektra and 1 at chena

No worries on the link, not that your not doing fine on your own lol.

I was thinking more that some buildings have backup generators. Or some areas. And these are the things that need repairing. They aren't portable generators. The bigger ones could be a big job and light larger areas.

Well, I feel I need to post in this thread. I am a Control Operator as a thermal generating station. I've read most of this thread, skipped through a few parts, and I hate to tell you guys, but realism is GONE if you want to run a power plant in DayZ. That being said, I would play the shit out of it. Let me itemize the problems with running a generating station / grid.

1. Survivors and Bandits are not trained professionals.

- Takes years to learn to properly run a power plant effectively.

- Lack of experience operating a plant will result in massive damage. Especially on a unit start up.

- Powerplants require (depending on size) 3-8 operators, 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year.

2. Repairs. You need them.

- Many unique parts. Gauges, relays, probes, transmitters, are all pretty common and can be mail ordered by JerryCanz'R'Us. Gas Turbine / Steam Turbine Rotor blades are not.

- 4160v Condensate Pumps aren't found in your neighbors barn.

- Boiler waterwall tubes require pressure ratings from 500-4000 psi, depending on the unit.

- Generating Units that "sit dead" become shitty if they are not run. Its like leaving a car or motorcycle rot in your garage. Except amazingly worse. Offline units still require regular repairs. And we're just pretending in the middle of a zombie nightmare (or dream, as it is me) they took the time to shutdown properly and save the units from self destruction.

3. Regular supplies.

-Hardhats and earplugs? Sure, they are everywhere. 500 gallons of 43% solution NH3 to maintaim boiler chemistry for a week? How about Sulfuric acid to maintain cooling tower pH. Or Phosphates to reduce boiler scale. Or oxygen scavenger to prevent pitting. Or Sodium Hypochlorite to reduce microbial growth in the condenser tubesheet. I ignored the 20,000 gallons of NH3 you'll need to clean the exhaust, because the AQMD guys are prolly crewing on corpse bits or killing eachother for beans.

- FUEL. On my old unit, 460mw supercritical forced draft boiler, it burned 6.3 MILLION cubic feet of natural gas PER HOUR.

4. Distributed Power Grid Operation.

- Not going into detail here. Basically power plants dont control where the power goes. Lines could be down. Each city will require it own station for customer distribution. Things in disarray; things every where will be going to ground and cause a myriad of circuit trips. Fires break out.

5. Water.

- You need lots of it. And highly pure, to the order of <10ppb SiO2.

6. Damage.

- When things go south, they can get real bad. Toxic gases, 1000F 1800PSI steam leaks (its like a lightsabre, cuts the arm off and burns flesh at the same time).

7. Server load.

- We will have to make it really, really simple, so the servers don't die when you go to sync a generator.

All of these items deal with industrial size plants, either nuclear, coal, fuel oil, and natural gas. Smaller size equipment is more of a reality. Look up a General Electric LM6000 or a GE LM2500. They are distillate/natural-gas, but are simpler to run.

Hydroplants require less, but grid problems still axes that idea.

Repairs could be made by gathering manuals, scrap metal, and crafting special parts at a machine shop.

Any power plant questions; PM me. I could also record ambient power plant noise for use in game. I used to map for HL1 and HL2, and I made powerplants for those games. (Made them in minecraft too, in great detail, but its @^$% minecraft so w/e)

Also, I read a post about zombies attacking a transformer. Not likely. They are usually made of ¼-½" thick steel. Unless your talking about a poletop xformer, those are flimsy by comparison.

Well' date=' I feel I need to post in this thread. I am a Control Operator as a thermal generating station. I've read most of this thread, skipped through a few parts, and I hate to tell you guys, but realism is GONE if you want to run a power plant in DayZ. That being said, I would play the shit out of it. Let me itemize the problems with running a generating station / grid.

1. Survivors and Bandits are not trained professionals.

- Takes years to learn to properly run a power plant effectively.

- Lack of experience operating a plant will result in massive damage. Especially on a unit start up.

- Powerplants require (depending on size) 3-8 operators, 24 hours a day, 365.25 days a year.

2. Repairs. You need them.

- Many unique parts. Gauges, relays, probes, transmitters, are all pretty common and can be mail ordered by JerryCanz'R'Us. Gas Turbine / Steam Turbine Rotor blades are not.

- 4160v Condensate Pumps aren't found in your neighbors barn.

- Boiler waterwall tubes require pressure ratings from 500-4000 psi, depending on the unit.

- Generating Units that "sit dead" become shitty if they are not run. Its like leaving a car or motorcycle rot in your garage. Except amazingly worse. Offline units still require regular repairs. And we're just pretending in the middle of a zombie nightmare (or dream, as it is me) they took the time to shutdown properly and save the units from self destruction.

3. Regular supplies.

-Hardhats and earplugs? Sure, they are everywhere. 500 gallons of 43% solution NH3 to maintaim boiler chemistry for a week? How about Sulfuric acid to maintain cooling tower pH. Or Phosphates to reduce boiler scale. Or oxygen scavenger to prevent pitting. Or Sodium Hypochlorite to reduce microbial growth in the condenser tubesheet. I ignored the 20,000 gallons of NH3 you'll need to clean the exhaust, because the AQMD guys are prolly crewing on corpse bits or killing eachother for beans.

- FUEL. On my old unit, 460mw supercritical forced draft boiler, it burned 6.3 MILLION cubic feet of natural gas PER HOUR.

4. Distributed Power Grid Operation.

- Not going into detail here. Basically power plants dont control where the power goes. Lines could be down. Each city will require it own station for customer distribution. Things in disarray; things every where will be going to ground and cause a myriad of circuit trips. Fires break out.

5. Water.

- You need lots of it. And highly pure, to the order of <10ppb SiO2.

6. Damage.

- When things go south, they can get real bad. Toxic gases, 1000F 1800PSI steam leaks (its like a lightsabre, cuts the arm off and burns flesh at the same time).

7. Server load.

- We will have to make it really, really simple, so the servers don't die when you go to sync a generator.

All of these items deal with industrial size plants, either nuclear, coal, fuel oil, and natural gas. Smaller size equipment is more of a reality. Look up a General Electric LM6000 or a GE LM2500. They are distillate/natural-gas, but are simpler to run.

Hydroplants require less, but grid problems still axes that idea.

Repairs could be made by gathering manuals, scrap metal, and crafting special parts at a machine shop.

Any power plant questions; PM me. I could also record ambient power plant noise for use in game. I used to map for HL1 and HL2, and I made powerplants for those games. (Made them in minecraft too, in great detail, but its @^$% minecraft so w/e)

Also, I read a post about zombies attacking a transformer. Not likely. They are usually made of ¼-½" thick steel. Unless your talking about a poletop xformer, those are flimsy by comparison.

[/quote']

The game's not base on realism, it's base on authenticity. for exp, We can repair Helicopters/cars (at least for me, I can't even repair a car in real life little lone a helicopter) Food and Water: they drain in 30 mins not 1-3 weeks. etc.

also this post isn't complete, I did some changes and pushed it up to V2.1 but the hack put it back at a prev state. I need to re-edit it.

I'm willing to say that mechanics should resemble real life, But I wasn't trying to make Power Plant Simulator 2012

I believe this is a must, for any players at night, it's almost impossible to see if the moon isn't out, Power will help people navigate, and provide a since of comfortabilty to the players, It's also a Unkown factor that will make players paranoid (You don't know if it's going to go out or turn on and zombies will be all around you)

Another thing this will promote is group play.. See: Team work philosophy in my sig. I would want it to mimic real life as much as possible to make it hard, and require a group to rebuild/maintain it. But I don't want it to be impossible

I think the pros out weigh the cons

I agree. I like that idea I had about getting "repair books" and scrap metal to a machine shop for parts. I would love to see a LM6000 gas turbine ingame.

I wasnt trying to play PowerPlant Simulator 2012, just saying its a little outside the scope of Zombie Simulator 2013.

Basement diesel gens I think are the way to go. Power a single building. it is your clans new fort. make fuel runs. easy to see out of. electric gates. SPOT LIGHTS OMFG.

maybe even charge electric carts/vehicles? they could be silent.

Also, sorry for excessive overkill on power plant info, but, you know, its mah thang.

I agree. I like that idea I had about getting "repair books" and scrap metal to a machine shop for parts. I would love to see a LM6000 gas turbine ingame.

I wasnt trying to play PowerPlant Simulator 2012' date=' just saying its a little outside the scope of Zombie Simulator 2013.

Basement diesel gens I think are the way to go. Power a single building. it is your clans new fort. make fuel runs. easy to see out of. electric gates. SPOT LIGHTS OMFG.

maybe even charge electric carts/vehicles? they could be silent.

Also, sorry for excessive overkill on power plant info, but, you know, its mah thang.

[/quote']

I completely understand ;) I do the same thing to people about guns

I like the idea of diesel gens, but I think both should be in-play.

generators can be a lone wolfs/small clans energy source. but there should also be factors in game that gives clans power(not energy, but responsibility) i.e. Power Plants

Things like this idea and 'settling in towns' to make clans more threatening, or to cause tension between to clans to start a war.

Let's say a clan captured a town with a hospital, and the clan that owns the power plant needs meds. That could work out many different ways and it adds to the play-ability to the game. What I mean is, right now all we do is survive and it gets kinda boring after a couple of weeks or so. So let's give people more things to do! add dept to the game!

P.s. I want the power plants to be hard to repair and maintain. i think there is a thread out there about books being a way to learn skills or something, It would complement this idea really well. It's by VicterM I think