scoffield77@gmail.com

Electric and Natural lighting's V 4.0

I'd be in support of petrol/diesel fuelled generators' date=' but not a power grid per se. I think the technicalities of trying to get any substantial infrastructure like that up and running is beyond the capability of apocalyptic survivors. Finding beans is hard enough, now you're talking about operating a power station? I think it's a dream too far.

But yes, smaller generators, man-portable or otherwise, would definitely make sense, given the only apparent available fuel we have is petrol.

[/quote']

I understand, but this isn't something for the lone survivor to do. it requires a group of people to get operation and maintain a power grid

The idea is to promote teamwork (see my post: The Vaccine for Shoot one sight tactics is teamwork

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7036 )

Zeds attacking transformers and hence breaking it' date=' go too close open wires and get electrocuted, electrified fence, repairing power lines for keeping lights on in towns etc....

So many ways to die, so much to do.

[/quote']

I think since the movement in Arma is kinda, eh.. rough around the edges? I mean it's not the cleanest movement even with the mod STMovement

adding death by touching stuff isn't a good idea

how about just fixing local power generators ? (those blue generators on wheels)

it does not light up the whole country but just a small town or part of town ?

maybe have the lights break when shot at, till server restart ?

how about just fixing local power generators ? (those blue generators on wheels)

it does not light up the whole country but just a small town or part of town ?

maybe have the lights break when shot at' date=' till server restart ?

[/quote']

I think having both systems would be good, the power plants will be harder to repair and can power more, and last longer, giving the owners a lot of power, and control over comfort-ability

But to challenge that

Generators will be able to power single towns (doesn't last as long and will break again after x amount of use) better for the lone wolf or small squads who don't have the time to put in that kind of work. It would also serve as a back up generator if the main electric grid goes down (again).

I think it would complement each other quite nice, but not every town should have generators.

the generators are already there i believe (models) in the towns (maybe not all towns)

having such a system of power grids would be fun, it would be like road flares but with normal lighting giving it more lively feel to the world

the big generators would be nice if you have large groups, and yes they should be possible if there is to be any light at night

make them hum and attract zombies, maybe aggravate them so they are more alert ?

it may give you more comfort when there is street light but it is less comfortable to walk there ? maybe let zombies spawn from the closed houses to make it equally or more difficult ?

(edit for missing sentence)

the generators are already there i believe (models) in the towns (maybe not all towns)

having such a system of power grids would be fun' date=' it would be like road flares but with normal lighting giving it more lively feel to the world

the big generators would be nice if you have large groups, and yes they should be possible if there is to be any light at night

make them hum and attract zombies, maybe aggravate them so they are more alert ?

it may give you more comfort when there is street light but it is less comfortable to walk there ? maybe let zombies spawn from the closed houses to make it equally or more difficult ?

[/quote']

I agree, they would complement each other quite while, and remember there is 2 power plants, and 7 substation. so it's not like.. if you repair one power plant and then the whole map lights up

Zombies can see better at day. if you had the lights on, it would be harder. just think if someone turned on the lights while you where trying to sneak threw a town ;)

having such a system of power grids would be fun' date=' it would be like road flares but with normal lighting giving it more lively feel to the world

[/quote']

I agree, they would complement each other quite while, and remember there is 2 power plants, and 7 substation. so it's not like.. if you repair one power plant and then the whole map lights up

Zombies can see better at day. if you had the lights on, it would be harder. just think if someone turned on the lights while you where trying to sneak threw a town ;)

The possibilities of this suggestion are endless. Bandits controlling towns in one way, survivor groups in another. I can't wait to see this implemented (pretty please, Rocket)

It'd be interesting if power determined certain choice loot spawns and not re-entering a city repeatedly.

ie. power the factory to spawn the higher end ammo clips every X minutes, or the hospital to spawn antibiotics/bloodbags, or a gas station to activate the pumps, etc.

You'd have groups holding down this building or that, possibly testing the waters to trade with one another, or forming an uneasy truce in order to take on the 30 man group holding the powerplant, etc. Add in randoms & bandits for a dash of chaos and you'd have a fun fucking time.

It'd be interesting if power determined certain choice loot spawns and not re-entering a city repeatedly.

ie. power the factory to spawn the higher end ammo clips every X minutes' date=' or the hospital to spawn antibiotics/bloodbags, or a gas station to activate the pumps, etc.

You'd have groups holding down this building or that, possibly testing the waters to trade with one another, or forming an uneasy truce in order to take on the 30 man group holding the powerplant, etc. Add in randoms & bandits for a dash of chaos and you'd have a fun fucking time.

[/quote']

Yes could cause a lot of conflict, stress and what not. I really would like to see some power ball objectives in game to make it evolve as the game progresses

1st post has been edited.

Yeah, i like this idea. Maybe some settlements could be done, and more agressive players would try to either retake the town, first taking out their electricity? This has potential! Is it doable?

Yeah' date=' i like this idea. Maybe some settlements could be done, and more agressive players would try to either retake the town, first taking out their electricity? This has potential! Is it doable?

[/quote']

There is a couple post out there right now about retaking towns, with a lot of support.

I'm sure it is. I don't know much about mission editing through, I think Rocket would just have to copy the script i linked in to the mission folder, with some edits to add repairing the power plant

I'd always try to sabotage the power grid, so people need to light their flares, what give me the opportunity to sniper them.(at night)

more optional side objectives are good.

anything to wane the boringness that the mod is beginning to make.

As long as you don't get a reward for doing it!

You don't get a reward for repairing cars other than using the car.

So only reward for repairing the power grid would be, it works.

i really hope this gets implemented. it would foster a community since teamwork would be required to maintain the power.. would add alot to the sandbox.

Yep and it would steer the game towards more teamwork, as a lot of people are asking.

Will keep an eye on this thread and bump at intervals in the hope of getting official response.

i really hope this gets implemented. it would foster a community since teamwork would be required to maintain the power.. would add alot to the sandbox.

Agree, if you read my other post in my sig, it addresses Objectives leading to more team work too

This post gave birth to that one in a way.

BUMP

some nice ideas here, i for one am part of a 7 man team on dayz so adding a side quest to turn the power on for some sort of light is probably something we would want to try and do + IRL you dont have an option to turn your HDR, gamma and brightness up! xD

also who wouldnt want to turn the power on :)

people mentioned about fuel, why not have it so the plant is powered by wind turbines?? i see a lot of open space on the map with nothing but fields.. just a thought!

Erm, what if, when the power plant is activated, the lighthouse's actually work? xD

@sui = maybe have the lights break when shot at, till server restart ?

i totaly agree to this, this will definatly give more realism :)

BUMP

some nice ideas here' date=' i for one am part of a 7 man team on dayz so adding a side quest to turn the power on for some sort of light is probably something we would want to try and do + IRL you dont have an option to turn your HDR, gamma and brightness up! xD

also who wouldnt want to turn the power on :)

people mentioned about fuel, why not have it so the plant is powered by wind turbines?? i see a lot of open space on the map with nothing but fields.. just a thought!

Erm, what if, when the power plant is activated, the lighthouse's actually work? xD

[b']@sui = maybe have the lights break when shot at, till server restart ?

i totaly agree to this, this will definatly give more realism :)

I think wind turbines would be cool, but that's a lot of maintenance work =0 I think it would just be easier to drive a MTRV Gas truck up to it, or a good amount of Jerry cans

I support this too!

This idea would be awesome, and would give those guys who complain about the darkness at night something to work towards.

No rewards for doing it, just the satisfaction of knowing you (and a few others?) got a power station up and running.

It should be hard, require lots of time and effort, just to fit in to the whole DayZ theme.

I love how this game punishes you so much, but each time you get punished you learn a little bit more =)

Adding things like this to the game only add to the 'awesomeness' of it, the more options survivors have, the more risks we take, the more trekking we do.

Just thinking about it makes me giddy ^_^

I like this idea because it encourages character interraction to fix the power, and sends out a bit of a 'hey everyone, come kill us' message to the entire server.

Opens up huge possibilities for future features.. activating the radio tower etc.