scoffield77@gmail.com

Electric and Natural lighting's V 4.0

This looks great man. I wrote about this about a month ago, and there are a few other topics kicking around the forums. I'm glad this one is getting the attention it deserves!

I appreciate the detail you go into, but I think that city power plants should be wood fired or coal fired, not gas. You couldn't power a city on gasoline effectively. Imagine you get lots of new players running back and forth between the woods and the power plant collecting wood for the furnace! This would be especially great if the trees could be chopped down if you harvested too much wood from them.

http://dayzmod.com/f...g-civilization/

I believe that restoring power should keep zeds away, but I understand why you feel different... they are attracted to flares in the game.

If there ever is going to be any significant crafting of any kind, electricity should be required first. It might even be interesting if gas stations would work as long as there is power (the pumps.)

guess coal would give an excuse to open up a different kind of underground area, aswell as making just an area of interest/source of negotiation power if groups controlled the mines.

guess coal would give an excuse to open up a different kind of underground area, aswell as making just an area of interest/source of negotiation power if groups controlled the mines.

Since rocket said there might be underground shanankins in later versions, I guess Coal as a power source would be possible then!

I love it, and as someone else said, I gotta think that electricity and lights were part of the original design philosophy, as a way to get around the pitch black nights. This is the kind of content which will make the endgame shine. True oldschool sandbox fun. Warms my heart.

I love it, and as someone else said, I gotta think that electricity and lights were part of the original design philosophy, as a way to get around the pitch black nights. This is the kind of content which will make the endgame shine. True oldschool sandbox fun. Warms my heart.

there are plans to add a portable generator or something along those measures. I hope htey add the rest of this post to the game too. it would add great dept to the game. and you're welcome for the warm heart ;)

This looks great man. I wrote about this about a month ago, and there are a few other topics kicking around the forums. I'm glad this one is getting the attention it deserves!

I appreciate the detail you go into, but I think that city power plants should be wood fired or coal fired, not gas. You couldn't power a city on gasoline effectively. Imagine you get lots of new players running back and forth between the woods and the power plant collecting wood for the furnace! This would be especially great if the trees could be chopped down if you harvested too much wood from them.

http://dayzmod.com/f...g-civilization/

I believe that restoring power should keep zeds away, but I understand why you feel different... they are attracted to flares in the game.

If there ever is going to be any significant crafting of any kind, electricity should be required first. It might even be interesting if gas stations would work as long as there is power (the pumps.)

I think wood would be to easy. As the game stands right now lol I think gas is the only option. Maybe as it progresses in to something new with different resources it could change the mechanic that fuels the power plants and generators.

but for now, I believe Gas is the best for the playability of the game, thought it's just a place holder

Theres some ideas here +1 for getting the power grid up and running again. would be a good excuse to work as a team and for bandits it would be a good place to raid ;)

Theres some ideas here +1 for getting the power grid up and running again. would be a good excuse to work as a team and for bandits it would be a good place to raid ;)

Team work is the main point of this post! Through I love the idea of lights being on for Navigation and atmospheric reasons Plus the other reasons lol.

I really believe the solution to Shoot on sight tactics and other issues is Teamwork.

Bandits take over power plant: "Give us food and water each hour you want this town generated!"

Bandits take over power plant: "Give us food and water each hour you want this town generated!"

;)

don't forget you have portable generators/town generators use too. so it's not like you're entirely to those "Bandits" mercy

I didn't read all the posts after the OP, just wanted to say I support this idea! The game currently needs some "real" objectives to prevent the endgame becoming so stale.

^_^

May perhaps need a few tweaks, but I'd love to see this implemented. Would create some fantastic PvP scenarios..

I didn't read all the posts after the OP, just wanted to say I support this idea! The game currently needs some "real" objectives to prevent the endgame becoming so stale.

^_^

May perhaps need a few tweaks, but I'd love to see this implemented. Would create some fantastic PvP scenarios..

you should read it all ;)

Ah, good to see this post again, I believe last time I was here I was discussing whether or not zombie spawns should be affected by the power being on? I still think they should spawn in the area, just not in the city/town/camp, like on the outskirts maybe. And for loot, I'm torn between no difference and 25-50% less loot.

Ah, good to see this post again, I believe last time I was here I was discussing whether or not zombie spawns should be affected by the power being on? I still think they should spawn in the area, just not in the city/town/camp, like on the outskirts maybe. And for loot, I'm torn between no difference and 25-50% less loot.

There's been a lot of comments ;) forgive me for not remembering the conversation haha

I agree, I think lights being on shouldn't null the spawning of zombies.

Though I do wish for this to be coupled with the town Seattle idea. and When towns are captured, spawns of loot and zombies will stop.

This is exactly the kind of thing that we need as an end game. at the moment, great, i got a working helicopter, cant do anything with it!

Got electrisity? now we are getting somewhere. reminds me of zombies on CoD but with much more effort put in.

I'd give you my beans, but you've already eaten your weatabix today.

This is exactly the kind of thing that we need as an end game. at the moment, great, i got a working helicopter, cant do anything with it!

Got electrisity? now we are getting somewhere. reminds me of zombies on CoD but with much more effort put in.

I'd give you my beans, but you've already eaten your weatabix today.

Uh oh, don't tie this with CoD! haha

• Like 1

There's been a lot of comments ;) forgive me for not remembering the conversation haha

I agree, I think lights being on shouldn't null the spawning of zombies.

Though I do wish for this to be coupled with the town Seattle idea. and When towns are captured, spawns of loot and zombies will stop.

Well see that's where the problem comes in, imagine if this super awesome clan comes by, powers up Cherno, Electro, and everything in between the two cities and patrols the area to kill any zombies spawning, halleluiah for all the noobs right? WRONG, if turning the lights on in cities stops loot from spawning, that's going to severely hurt people who are spawning/respawning on the coast. So at bare minimum the loot should be reduced 50%, personally I prefer the idea of just a 0-25% reduction in loot spawning (preferably zero, powering the generator should be difficult and rewarding), so you can't just turn the lights on and fuck the spawns up. Even if zombies are nullified, there's no food, weapons, ammo, supplies, etc. Understand my view?

Edited by CarloNord

I don't think that a big power plant could work at all. Why would you use a large power plant? Its far easier to add portable generators as loot (6 slots in inventory)

They could be used to power the following:

-portable lights (in case you don't want to stay in a city at night) - 2 slots

-motion sensors (hard to find even in military facilities, will alert you if trigered) - 1 slot each up to 4

-satellite phones (1 call, 1 charge) - toolbelt - 1 slot

-ipod (come on don't say you didn't like it in MGS4 - use your own tracks or ask rocket to create a playlist, once powered - will last for 1 day) - toolbelt - 1 slot

-stoves (electric ones in buildings - cook meat, boil water etc.) - n/a - not portable

-an accessable building (connect it to a switchbox and anything electronic inside will work) - n/a - not portable

-uavs (to scout the area ahead or a city - nothing fancy, just the uav and a camera, lasts 5 minutes on a charge)

-an armory (basically a small portable locker, locked with an electronic 4 digit passcode, if power is lost, then the only way to access its contents is by blowing it up, escentially a secure storage facility) - 2 slots

-city lights (connect it to a power distribution terminal) - n/a - not portable

-large military tents (have built in heaters, armories and what look like portable stoves) - 4 slots

Basically it should work like this: you need a gas can to power it, a gas can gives you 4 charges, charging a device (or using a stove or armory) costs 1 charge, powering something for a while (like a building, lights or motion sensors) costs 1 charge every 15 minutes. I'm thinking that the stove should be charged (use one charge) rather than powered (use one charge every 15 minutes), since you wouldn't need more than one charge anyway.

The armory would be charged once and could stay online permanently.

Now to make things harder - in order to connect it to a building or city power grid you need an electrician's toolbox, which should spawn mostly near factories, power plants and other industrial buildings.

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DAYZ UPGRADE. YOU COULD CREATE LONER OR TEAM CAMPS IN FORESTS OR NEAR CITIES TO WAIT OUT STORMS OR ROAMING ZOMBIE HOARDS.

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DAYZ UPGRADE. YOU COULD CREATE LONER OR TEAM CAMPS IN FORESTS OR NEAR CITIES TO WAIT OUT STORMS OR ROAMING ZOMBIE HOARDS.

Or you know, build a safe zone? Nice ideas though.

Well see that's where the problem comes in, imagine if this super awesome clan comes by, powers up Cherno, Electro, and everything in between the two cities and patrols the area to kill any zombies spawning, halleluiah for all the noobs right? WRONG, if turning the lights on in cities stops loot from spawning, that's going to severely hurt people who are spawning/respawning on the coast. So at bare minimum the loot should be reduced 50%, personally I prefer the idea of just a 0-25% reduction in loot spawning (preferably zero, powering the generator should be difficult and rewarding), so you can't just turn the lights on and fuck the spawns up. Even if zombies are nullified, there's no food, weapons, ammo, supplies, etc. Understand my view?

A supper clan that can own two big cities + every thing in between and keep up patrols, maintenance, scavenger for goods would require 50+ men, that's an entire server.

Plus I don't think Elektra/Chena/Berzino will be caputerable due to their sheer size.

honestly I don't think the town settling will be in the game, since Rocket has been talking about under ground digging and what not. our suggestions are based on Arma2 and he wants to take this to a stand alone game so i don't know how much weight these suggestions carry

honestly I don't think the town settling will be in the game, since Rocket has been talking about under ground digging and what not. our suggestions are based on Arma2 and he wants to take this to a stand alone game so i don't know how much weight these suggestions carry

They probably dont, but i do like to recite my hopes for ze perfect zombie game XD

tbh yea i think town settling might be a bit extreme, but if the map is opened out further in ze standalone, i would hope that parts of cities would be defensible.

I was thinking about this today. It's a similar sort of system Eve uses I guess, a whole world created by players.

It would require a bigger map and many more players, but I like the idea of people banding together, securing a town, electric supply, food supply etc. In turn that gets made into a safe zone. Before you know it there is a whole economy of trade running, and the emphasis of the game shifts from PVP, PVE to a much larger dynamic.

This is how Eve works, there is much more than just fighting. People have come together to make huge corps, mine, trade and buy. They build huge fortifications and start manufacturing their own equipment. Imagine something similar on DayZ?

In a sense it would be like real life and eventually the Zeds would become something of the past, something that would just be part of the games history. Of course, for a model like this to work well, and for it to be fun, it would need a server that can host more than 50 players!

But there is so much potential.

I was thinking about this today. It's a similar sort of system Eve uses I guess, a whole world created by players.

It would require a bigger map and many more players, but I like the idea of people banding together, securing a town, electric supply, food supply etc. In turn that gets made into a safe zone. Before you know it there is a whole economy of trade running, and the emphasis of the game shifts from PVP, PVE to a much larger dynamic.

This is how Eve works, there is much more than just fighting. People have come together to make huge corps, mine, trade and buy. They build huge fortifications and start manufacturing their own equipment. Imagine something similar on DayZ?

In a sense it would be like real life and eventually the Zeds would become something of the past, something that would just be part of the games history. Of course, for a model like this to work well, and for it to be fun, it would need a server that can host more than 50 players!

But there is so much potential.

.. Ye posted this in another thread too XD I feel this may be too much. Things fracturing and breaking down, is an aspect of the game. Doubt anything will last forever, but it is part of ze fun of it. XD