scoffield77@gmail.com

Electric and Natural lighting's V 4.0

Hmm will not be fun when you are walking down the streets of Chernarus and the power is still holding up from some unknown survivor. Eventually you turn the next corner only to meet few blood covered zombies idle waiting for prey and as you begin to choose a different rout the power flickers and shuts off... You are now left blind and at the mercy of the zombies. :D

If towns are lit up, snipers are going to be an even more prominent of a night. They won't even need NVG's anymore.

If towns are lit up' date=' snipers are going to be an even more prominent of a night. They won't even need NVG's anymore.

[/quote']

don't go where the towns are lit up, it's pretty much impossible to get both powerplants running at 1 time. at least half of the map will be dark.

This idea is pretty nice.

The only problem is that the zeds spawn system would be remade.

Taking one situation as example:

Server with 10 player.

Cherno lit up with 5 palyer around it.

Assuming that it would be 50 zeds in there, if the players kill the zeds, they will keep returning. SO, no deal to even lit up a city because zeds will keep spawning over and over. But if this spawn time is delayed, and zed only spawn when more players come in, the city would be at least safe. =)

If towns are lit up' date=' snipers are going to be an even more prominent of a night. They won't even need NVG's anymore.

[/quote']

don't go where the towns are lit up, it's pretty much impossible to get both powerplants running at 1 time. at least half of the map will be dark.

If lighting the towns would attract snipers, and it would be better to stay away... What would be the point of lighting them up?

Server with 10 player.

Assuming that it would be 50 zeds in there' date=' if the players kill the zeds, they will keep returning. SO, no deal to even lit up a city because zeds will keep spawning over and over. But if this spawn time is delayed, and zed only spawn when more players come in, the city would be at least safe. =)

[/quote']

I don't understand? lights will not effect zed spawns, it will act the same way they do in the day. And they keep returning now anyway.

[/quote']

If lighting the towns would attract snipers, and it would be better to stay away... What would be the point of lighting them up?

not everyone in there mother has a sniper nor is everyone going to kill people ;)

obviously there are people who are will-en to light up the towns (the umpteen post before you) if you want to stay in the dark, then go to the dark part of the world

the point is that you can see, people will naturally find comfort in the light. it will add a unkown factor for other players, increase the atmosphere of the game, it will also help navigation at night, promote group play, the pro's out weigh the cons.

plus if you roll in a group, it's quite easy to take out a sniper. spec one who shoots at night lol

Server with 10 player.

Assuming that it would be 50 zeds in there' date=' if the players kill the zeds, they will keep returning. SO, no deal to even lit up a city because zeds will keep spawning over and over. But if this spawn time is delayed, and zed only spawn when more players come in, the city would be at least safe. =)

[/quote']

I don't understand? lights will not effect zed spawns, it will act the same way they do in the day. And they keep returning now anyway.

[/quote']

not everyone in there mother has a sniper nor is everyone going to kill people ;)

obviously there are people who are will-en to light up the towns (the umpteen post before you) if you want to stay in the dark, then go to the dark part of the world

the point is that you can see, people will naturally find comfort in the light. it will add a unkown factor for other players, increase the atmosphere of the game, it will also help navigation at night, promote group play, the pro's out weigh the cons.

plus if you roll in a group, it's quite easy to take out a sniper. spec one who shoots at night lol

I see, as for zombie spawns, They should be lessened to the point where they're pretty much not there, like you'll find maybe 3-4 zombies in all of Electro. However, that's not very realistic as the lights would attract zombies, as would the noise from the generators.

I like the idea, but we need clarification on how much lughting would be in the town.

I would agree on lamp posts, but not all enterable buildings and so on, maybe inside the hospital, but all lamp posts in the town could be powered, it would light up more than enough imo.

And the idea in general seems awsome to be honest..

But my oh my, having a generator at the camp, it would attract everything, however, i think that IF you had the ability to have an generator at your camp you could put up electric fencing, and if you touched it you would get knocked out, THAT state is allready in the game, 5min knockout timer, and to stop the electricity you would have to turn of the generator inside, OR, blow it up with some well placed shots, grenade, rocket or what not..

So yeah, im all for this to be honest, but then they should implement the chance of putting up electric fencing that can't be taken down by toolboxes unless the power to the fence is cut.. imo..

From what I can gather in PCGAMER interview with Rocket, he has been toying with the idea of having a working power grid.

Love the idea though. This mod needs more community based objectives.

From what I can gather in PCGAMER interview with Rocket' date=' he has been toying with the idea of having a working power grid.

[/quote']

LInk that please :D

From what I can gather in PCGAMER interview with Rocket' date=' he has been toying with the idea of having a working power grid.

[/quote']

Here ya go m8.

http://www.twitch.tv/pcgamer/b/322996808

2 hours! holy cow.

Thanks =) It would be really cool if he did do this

[/quote']

Here ya go m8.

2 hours! holy cow.

Yeah it gives some really nice insights into his way of thinking and what he is trying to achieve in the mod.

From what I can fathom, there was a good reason he added total pitch black night times and that was he is intending to add a power grid to light the roads, towns and cities.

[/quote']

Here ya go m8.

2 hours! holy cow.

Yeah it gives some really nice insights into his way of thinking and what he is trying to achieve in the mod.

From what I can fathom, there was a good reason he added total pitch black night times and that was he is intending to add a power grid to light the roads, towns and cities.

there is a lot of good information in here, a lot of suggestions that resonated from the forums. I didn't think they really look at the suggestion forums since they don't really comment on the suggestion forums.

really refreshing listening to this ;)

there is a lot of good information in here' date=' a lot of suggestions that resonated from the forums. I didn't think they really look at the suggestion forums since they don't really comment on the suggestion forums.

[/quote']

Oh im sure once in a blue moon theyll look XD, or maybe they go off number of views and replies in which case, bumpty bump bump.

It occurred to me also that if electricity would start being a more common aspect of the game. Maybe other electronic items will be?

If so surely a whole host of electronic components could fall in, if not an electricians toolkit. (i know the toolkit could also potentially fit this role, but the buff realist in me knows theres alot of different equipment in both).

TBh though ive been struggling to think of that many electronic devices components that could be added to the game (that would be of some use anywayz)

there is a lot of good information in here' date=' a lot of suggestions that resonated from the forums. I didn't think they really look at the suggestion forums since they don't really comment on the suggestion forums.

[/quote']

Oh im sure once in a blue moon theyll look XD, or maybe they go off number of views and replies in which case, bumpty bump bump.

It occurred to me also that if electricity would start being a more common aspect of the game. Maybe other electronic items will be?

If so surely a whole host of electronic components could fall in, if not an electricians toolkit. (i know the toolkit could also potentially fit this role, but the buff realist in me knows theres alot of different equipment in both).

TBh though ive been struggling to think of that many electronic devices components that could be added to the game (that would be of some use anywayz)

I've seen rocket and one of the other Dev teams members comment on some of the post up here :P

We could add electric guitars TVs and Ipads ;)

We could add electric guitars TVs and Ipads ;)

Certainly on my survival check-list XD

post-16707-0-25836300-1341963997_thumb.jI kind of meant plausible devices (whatever they may be :s)' date=' i mean if the game holds onto sandbox features whilst exploring several different features of activities/interactions; so as examples including other threads ive come across, moding vehicles/weapons/skins(clothes), establishing and fortifying bases, foraging/bush-craft(survivalist creativity); with the intention of pushing sandbox interaction, it might also be the basics for exploring with economic mechanics.

So the basics of what i was thinking were simple repairs to radio/gps/torch/vehicle radios(this would be along the lines of similar principles with weapon repairs, if included :s) The remote laptop device mentioned earlier (dunno whether by OP) also could be a very delicate rare item, which could be vulnerable in a fire fight, but repairable in an organized group.

Expanding it further for the sake of sandbox, it could also include possible repairs to street lights/inner building lights(when/if buildings are opened up in arma 3 XD).

An assortment of items could possibly create a sort of security(NV) camera to look over approaches to established organized settlements, aswell as the equipment for receiving visual feed created and established somewhere in the base (computers stripped from offices/schools). The camera could also possibly be worked in conjunction with one of the radio towers for distant observations of positions of interest (whatever that clans p.o.i might be)

If bases were set up around airfields, maybe mechanics could be developed around utilizing the radar system in the ac towers? Which advanced groups who wanna monitor the (mist)hordes XD plan movements/retreats/evasion-tactics/camp lock-down tactics/ or a rid-the-world-of-zeds-campaign. Or maybe make the whole process even more of a challenge and make survivors de-construct the equipment and haul it back to base (along the lines of suggestions for stripping damaged vehicles for parts)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/25101-airborne-virus-v35/page__hl__%2Bairborne+%2Bvirus

(If the mist was really damaging, advanced groups could of stripped medical equipment from hospitals to deal with those suffering the affects, helping new players to interact with the established DayZ community, and giving a risky dilemma to lone wolves and small groups on whether to approach and if they will need to offer/do anything for treatment XD)

lol if (severe) environmental effects were considered more seriously you could even construct a small portable wind generator http://inhabitat.com...e-wind-turbine/

that'd be lighter and quieter than the portable fuel generator, but more unpredictable/vulnerable to changing weather.

I dunno, like i said before im not sure on what the electric kit could serve for devices, maybe it would be purely for larger more complex arrangements repaired with a catalogue of various electrical components, mirroring the same mechanics to vehicles and their associated universal used items. But the sandbox element combined with the challenge of hauling and combining rare equipment/components/items could explore options for a basic economic interaction between established groups and small groups/survivors wishing to use facilities/equipment.

Alot of this also depends on whether clans/groups could establish well fortified permanent bases without them being spit roasted by exploits/hacks as ive seen in game very large groups and large assortments of items/vehicles/perma-fixtures be destroyed by ghosters (or even a well placed sniper considering what cherno/electro looks like lit up with flares let alone street lights)

Edited by 3rdParty

BLeh, cant believe I spat that out at 10 in ze morning last night, knowing these forums i had ze foresight to copy and paste before i posted it, just as update and forums were being repaired :s

Certainly on my survival check-list XD

post-16707-0-25836300-1341963997_thumb.jI kind of meant plausible devices (whatever they may be :s), i mean if the game holds onto sandbox features whilst exploring several different features of activities/interactions; so as examples including other threads ive come across, moding vehicles/weapons/skins(clothes), establishing and fortifying bases, foraging/bush-craft(survivalist creativity); with the intention of pushing sandbox interaction, it might also be the basics for exploring with economic mechanics.

So the basics of what i was thinking were simple repairs to radio/gps/torch/vehicle radios(this would be along the lines of similar principles with weapon repairs, if included :s) The remote laptop device mentioned earlier (dunno whether by OP) also could be a very delicate rare item, which could be vulnerable in a fire fight, but repairable in an organized group.

Expanding it further for the sake of sandbox, it could also include possible repairs to street lights/inner building lights(when/if buildings are opened up in arma 3 XD).

An assortment of items could possibly create a sort of security(NV) camera to look over approaches to established organized settlements, aswell as the equipment for receiving visual feed created and established somewhere in the base (computers stripped from offices/schools). The camera could also possibly be worked in conjunction with one of the radio towers for distant observations of positions of interest (whatever that clans p.o.i might be)

If bases were set up around airfields, maybe mechanics could be developed around utilizing the radar system in the ac towers? Which advanced groups who wanna monitor the (mist)hordes XD plan movements/retreats/evasion-tactics/camp lock-down tactics/ or a rid-the-world-of-zeds-campaign. Or maybe make the whole process even more of a challenge and make survivors de-construct the equipment and haul it back to base (along the lines of suggestions for stripping damaged vehicles for parts)

http://dayzmod.com/f...airborne +virus

(If the mist was really damaging, advanced groups could of stripped medical equipment from hospitals to deal with those suffering the affects, helping new players to interact with the established DayZ community, and giving a risky dilemma to lone wolves and small groups on whether to approach and if they will need to offer/do anything for treatment XD)

lol if (severe) environmental effects were considered more seriously you could even construct a small portable wind generator http://inhabitat.com...e-wind-turbine/

that'd be lighter and quieter than the portable fuel generator, but more unpredictable/vulnerable to changing weather.

I dunno, like i said before im not sure on what the electric kit could serve for devices, maybe it would be purely for larger more complex arrangements repaired with a catalogue of various electrical components, mirroring the same mechanics to vehicles and their associated universal used items. But the sandbox element combined with the challenge of hauling and combining rare equipment/components/items could explore options for a basic economic interaction between established groups and small groups/survivors wishing to use facilities/equipment.

Alot of this also depends on whether clans/groups could establish well fortified permanent bases without them being spit roasted by exploits/hacks as ive seen in game very large groups and large assortments of items/vehicles/perma-fixtures be destroyed by ghosters (or even a well placed sniper considering what cherno/electro looks like lit up with flares let alone street lights)

lol yes ;) but I was joking about the ipad stuff haha. some pretty good idea's here. I'll read it more indept when i have the time

for any of this to be possible (trading cities, power groups etc) you need to eliminate the whole hop on another server walk there and then spawn in behind the fortifications.....

lol yes ;) but I was joking about the ipad stuff haha. some pretty good idea's here. I'll read it more in depth when i have the time

lol i knoooow, i cringed a bit after i realised how much id wrote, (actually tried to cut it down a bit :s).

LAst night i had a completely unrelated random thought whilst crashing an ATV into a tree. Its annoying when ye get vehicles stolen from you after hiding them away, or making brief stops, and how much more useful having keys to a vehicle would be, whilst recognizing how many peeps would then be prevented from driving. Unless that electric toolkit was also used for hotwiring a vehicle.

The idea kind of lost momentum a bit when I realised how easy it CAN BE (if you know what your doing) to hot wire a car, maybe it could help speed up the process of hot wiring or other simple elec activities or be essential for hot wiring a helicopter. But it could add potential functions for an "e-kit".

Edited by 3rdParty

for any of this to be possible (trading cities, power groups etc) you need to eliminate the whole hop on another server walk there and then spawn in behind the fortifications.....

GHosting will be sorted eventually, there is no way the entire concept of dayZ could work as a fully fledged game whilst ghosting was still an issue. (it is still in alpha)

This looks great man. I wrote about this about a month ago, and there are a few other topics kicking around the forums. I'm glad this one is getting the attention it deserves!

I appreciate the detail you go into, but I think that city power plants should be wood fired or coal fired, not gas. You couldn't power a city on gasoline effectively. Imagine you get lots of new players running back and forth between the woods and the power plant collecting wood for the furnace! This would be especially great if the trees could be chopped down if you harvested too much wood from them.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10998-restoring-civilization/

I believe that restoring power should keep zeds away, but I understand why you feel different... they are attracted to flares in the game.

If there ever is going to be any significant crafting of any kind, electricity should be required first. It might even be interesting if gas stations would work as long as there is power (the pumps.)