Ozelot (DayZ)

What is the point to DayZ, if not to kill players?

If PvP is the only thing worth doing in this game, why aren't people just playing ARMA 2 instead of DayZ.

Because most of these kids just bought Arma 2/OA to play dayz and probably haven't even booted it up and played a single game. Shame because its a fun military shooter if you find some guys who are good at setting up scenarios.

DayZ = Zombie Apocalypse Survival simulator

How it's played = Kit up and PVP other Survivors, essentially DM

This is why everyone else wants to play. Because it's fun.

If PvP is the only thing worth doing in this game, why aren't people just playing ARMA 2 instead of DayZ.

Because most ArmA2 players are only interested in playing co-op versus predictable AI wearing distinctive uniforms. In dayZ, you don't know who is out there and who will try to kill you in the forest. There are no clearly defined factions and everyone is on edge.

Its PVP weighted because the survival in the game is way too easy at the moment. You will wind absolutely massive amounts of ammunition almost everywhere. Guns are not rare at all. Food and drink spawns almost anywhere. And duping makes things infinitely worse.

This is why everyone else wants to play. Because it's fun.

Negative.

I tend to play the game in three stages

I play it in two

Stage one: no gear, acquire winchester/enfield/get lucky and find an AK or something

Stage two: Kill a guy who has better loot than me, get his loot, kill another guy, acquire all tools in the game, ALICE, military grade guns, food, and medical supplies after half an hour and three shots in game

To those of you who whine about too much PK, I have one question: What point do you see to the game if not PvP in the long run?

Is it simply to survive the longest time possible? If so, that is extremely easy: Just get a few tools, go to some corner of the map where no one ever goes. Now wait patiently for your hunger and thirst meters to slowly dwindle and refill them by hunting and refilling water bottles. Wow, so much fun, right?

Is it collect incredibly rare weapons and equipment? Why? So you can waste the ammo on zombies? Watch as another simply respawns to take it's place. And honestly, if all you want to do is kill zombies, then camping in a barn with a Lee Enfield is all you have to do. You don't need fancy gear to kill zombies.

So, really. What is the point to this game if NOT to hunt players in the long run?

umm...to sneak up behind you and steal your beans from your alice pack silly man. Whats the point? pssshhht :facepalm:

i have one character that's already kitted out by hotspotting the military drops and finding some twats camp, etc. i save it for playing with some friends so we can just kinda roam around from one adventure to the next. someone dies, so we trek to look for loot for him, we fight along the way, etc....it works.

and i have a solo character that's stuck crawling around shitty little towns all alone looking for a bloody winchester. it's hard. try to find a can of beans, end up being chased by a 20 Z horde. run into a player, take a shot, bandage and keep running...etc. try to play a solo NO META GAME survivor. that's the challenge.

Laughing my arse off here that no one has suggested what I do.

When I have all the kit i need I head out and play a game of shoot the zombies.

It a hard job but someone has to keep their numbers down.

I am with you on that one! Going into electro and cherno now and fighting off hordes of zombies is awesome. Last night we drove our bus into the middle of both big towns (of course grabbing some medical supplies also) but it was a massacre zombies laying everywhere along with 2 of my teammates that died. Great time

i find it fun helping people. i also found being an elektro sniper to be alot of fun..

What is the point?

What is best in DayZ?

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

:D

Edited by kentk94

PvP is really all this game has.. As you suggest, the "endgame" is very lacking, and getting the highest tier loot isn't hard once you know the fundamentals of the game.

I haven't gotten much positive feedback on this suggestion I made, but I think the basic idea is pretty cool, and it would help add to long term objectives. It may not be the perfect answer but the game needs lots of somethings like this. I'm drunk and I can't be bothered summarizing so I'm just gonna quote myself..

This is more of a suggestion for when underground bases/generators are introduced, but hopefully it can get some attention before then!

What I'd like to suggest is introducing a TV set, a console, and game cartridges as lootable items. It would be cool if the games were developed by the community, and this really suits how Rocket is trying to involve the public with the development of DayZ.

Not sure how to implement this, but I was thinking there could be some kind of rating system for the games here on the forum. A game that gets rated highly becomes very rare, thus increasing it's value further. I don't agree with currency, but rather a player to player trade system based off the value and demand for items in the game, this is potentially one of those commodities.

I don't know how this works from a programming perspective, but I think it would be a really cool feature that would add to the immersion of (future) endgame.

Edit: To summarize, players need a generator, a TV, a console, power and AV cables and the minigames, to play them. Minigames become a commodity, and can beused for trade. This is way off yet obviously, for if/when underground bases are introduced..

The original thread can be found here if anyone wants to help bump it along.. Or flame it, I'll take you

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/38928-community-minigames/

Too much PVP and that's why I quit DayZ for a while. I don't say there shouldn't be at all but too much is just too much and it makes this mod/game just another silly run 'n' gun shooter. Death needs to feel like death and zombies need to be real threat.

The ultimate point is to have fun. Under that is survival, within the confines and mechanics of the game.

I suspect that the overarching subtle point, is to see what you evolve, or devolve into when placed in a scenario. Lord of the flies, or Robinson Crusoe.

I play for the unique experiences that come from interaction with other players, you don't get those if you shoot them on sight before they do something funny....

I do not play for "fun", the word "fun" has no place in this game. I play for terror, panic and paranoia, if my hands aren't sweaty and my heart pumping then i'm doing it wrong.

Edit:

PvP player: Sees another guy run past him into a building, shoots him dead. This is your DayZ experience

our group spots another guy running past into a building, we surround the building and fuck with occupant to the point where he either freaks out or quits. Or maybe we'll chat and he'll tell us a story and swap gear or maybe we will just shoot him, but that's the point, we play for more variation than just deathmatch, I can get that from any other FPS on the market. You know what you can't do in those other FPS? You can't bluff a fully armed player into dropping his gear, you can't freak another player out by chucking flares at them from an unseen position, you can't stop and offer lifts to other players in a Skoda, you can't...

list goes on and on, it's not my fault you're too narrow minded to see anything more than PvP.

Edited by ironman Tetsuo

I think it's odd the assumption that killing other players is the only thing to do in a game with almost limitless possibilities. Personally, I enjoy creating camp sites, finding and restoring vehicles, or helping people. The reason I fell in love with this game to begin with is derived from my enjoyment of post apocalyptic or zombie fiction, and the emergent story telling that comes from sacrifice, teaching people how to survive and lending a helping hand, has always proved more interesting to me than shooting mindlessly at anything that moves.

Some of the talk about murder counts being all that really matters in this game is pretty troublesome, especially since it tends to come from the anonymous online aggressors which usually pride themselves on playing hardcore, or surviving a cut above, when the truth is that playing friendly is far more challenging and rewarding. If you're going to die and lose your shit anyway, why not take the chance of trusting someone? Nothing in this game is particularly difficult to acquire, so what's the problem?

Oh the irony.

If the game really did have a purpose to eliminate the zombies then that would be different wouldn't it?

Like if this was real. Yeah sure, there's no cure. Let's kill everyone. Or maybe find a cure. Or maybe the mod ers should really make something new and have a finish to the game. Think more outside the box just cause this doesn't have a purpose don't fall in the box.

People should help people, and if you exercise these thoughts. Hmmmm I wonder. Would you be a zombie yourself. In the real world.

This game should add more to the human reality, find an actual cure, then this game is just a waste of time and more time. And breeds bad thoughts of people who just kill people. Nice one.

To those of you who whine about too much PK, I have one question: What point do you see to the game if not PvP in the long run?

Is it simply to survive the longest time possible? If so, that is extremely easy: Just get a few tools, go to some corner of the map where no one ever goes. Now wait patiently for your hunger and thirst meters to slowly dwindle and refill them by hunting and refilling water bottles. Wow, so much fun, right?

Is it collect incredibly rare weapons and equipment? Why? So you can waste the ammo on zombies? Watch as another simply respawns to take it's place. And honestly, if all you want to do is kill zombies, then camping in a barn with a Lee Enfield is all you have to do. You don't need fancy gear to kill zombies.

So, really. What is the point to this game if NOT to hunt players in the long run?

In my life before last I went 21 YES 21 days without firing a shot at another player. To be honest it drove me bat sh*t crazy so I satisfied myself with a 500m dmr headshot on a axe weilding survivor

What ur doing wrong here is that u take a statement like "I think there is to much PVP in dayz, game is to dominated by PVP" and u interpret it as "we want no PVP in dayz"

So...the players that whine about pvp are whining about TO MUCH PVP...they are not calling for the abolishment of PVP.

The reason u make this faulty interpretation and end up with a statement (the no pvp at all statement), that probaly no one on the foum supports, is because ur a teenager and only have the ability to hold two opposite viewpoints in ur mind at the same time.....

Later when u grown up...hopefully ur brain will have matured and u get the ability to see all the viewpoints as a continually line in between the two opposite viewpoints u can only see atm.

Edited by svisketyggeren

PVP is a core factor of DayZ . People complain about fresh spawn killing .

Just imagine , just spawned went into cherno got a hatchet , a Lee Enfield , medical supplies and food . Why would someone with an AKM or a sniper kill you ???? Unless they need food and too dam lazy to go into town and get it themselves .

A second scenario ,where you have an AKM low on food and meds , and a guy with a sniper runs right in front . He is a dead man . If I was that guy running with the sniper , I wouldn't whine or complain . That was a legit kill , in fact I will say "I need to be careful next time , and check my six more often"

I always thought the point was to build a throne of beans and rule the wasteland as a just Bean King.

What ur doing wrong here is that u take a statement like "I think there is to much PVP in dayz, game is to dominated by PVP" and u interpret it as "we want no PVP in dayz"

So...the players that whine about pvp are whining about TO MUCH PVP...they are not calling for the abolishment of PVP.

The reason u make this faulty interpretation and end up with a statement (the no pvp at all statement), that probaly no one on the foum supports, is because ur a teenager and only have the ability to hold two opposite viewpoints in ur mind at the same time.....

Later when u grown up...hopefully ur brain will have matured and u get the ability to see all the viewpoints as a continually line in between the two opposite viewpoints u can only see atm.

You type like an eight year old and I'm twenty three. LOL.

You type like an eight year old and I'm twenty three. LOL.

yeap, u just used the grammarcard as a last resort....and thats when I know im right and u dont have the brains to disprove my post.

And if ur 23 ur a teenager, u dumbass teenager

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

I have now reached the point of playing dayz where PVP is no longer fun. Might as well just play wasteland/Arma 2 multiplayer for PVP.

• Like 1