Xianyu

Why this mod is failing

But riddle me this: when was the last time you actually sought to team up with someone on a server? When was the last time you trusted someone enough to even allow them within range of direct chat? And have these instances DECREASED, or INCREASED the more you play the game?

Since I'm a bandit, I treat anyone I find as prey anyway, and share the spoils with my buddy bandits. But if I was offered cash reward for playing as a friendly for a bit and showing that it's possible, I'd be able to do it easily. Because I'm not a complete fucking moron like most friendlies.

I haven't read every post here but the mod obviously has alot of potential. There does need to be more to do than get gear and kill other players. I hope that eventually there is more to it than that but right now that is what it boils down to. The one thing that will destroy the potential of the game is not bandits but shady admins and hackers. Those two things will do more damage than bandits and bugs combined.

This idea is already being copied and I am sure in a few years, you will have a few zombie survival games to choose from.

Edited by nuclear

There is one BIG thing I really don't like about this kind of post;

it induces in everyone's mind (noob/casual/veteran) the idea that cooperative gameplay is non-existent in Dayz. Almost everybody is starting to think that teamwork isn't an option anymore, which is clearly wrong. Of course, it is not the actual #1 strategy of survival, but anyone with a decent brain will still try to look and fight for it.

Unfortunately, each time someone reads a post like this one and go to play Dayz afterwards, they will be in a state of mind where they can't trust anyone.

So yeah, you are right about some points, and even if you don't seem to reason like an idiot, why can't you see that this community doesn't need rants like this one nowadays? If you really want to make it better, that is.

Seriously man, grow a little.

Edited by StOrD

I don't agree that bandits are ruining the game. You are right about the lack of purpose OTHER than being a bandit...There is none.

I wrote a suggestion along those lines here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27817-a-reason-to-live/

The truth is, the game needs fleshing out if it's going to be a stand-alone game. Hopefully it will get that as it is developed.

Funny all you could do was kill people with stacked gear when Day Z went public alpha.

900,000 individual people later it's still growing...

You're wrong. Face it.

Just get a group of people that you have become to trust, then play. With friends who watch your back other than shoot it makes the Mod 100% more fun and enjoyable other than going solo, or Playing with someone you just met on the coast.

I have shit all to contribute to this thread but shoot on sight is actually what gives the game a little atmosphere... Where's the fun if you're never worried about being killed.

I'm actually quite surprised at all the people posting who didn't read the OP.

But, anyway, I'm rather new to DayZ however, one of the biggest problems is the PvE.

PvE so far is WAY too easy(I think it's the best explanation of WHY people love to kill new players, it's just as easy as killing zombies except it's an actual player). Zombies are way too easy to kill or sneak by. But, I believe this is more of an Arma2 problem limiting the possibility of more complex zombies. I hope to see most things fixed in the standalone.

After all it is 'alpha'.

If you qualify DayZ as "failing" then you must live in Bizarro world. I admit that this mod is eons away from becoming the zombie survival horror game of my wet dreams. However, the experience that is here is something you currently can't find anywhere else. Definitely the closest thing to a realistic zombie apocalypse - and I do realize 'realistic' and 'zombie' in the same sentence is kind of and oxymoron. This mod is so much more than just the sum of its parts. If this game wasn't considered a mod then it would more than likely win many Game Of The Year awards.

If the mod had some sort of goal for all of the players to reach to instead of just doing what you said above maybe their wouldn't be so much killing.?

OK, color me stupid, but what exactly does authenticity mean in this instance?

Is it:

"Authenticity is a technical term used in psychology as well as existentialist philosophy and aesthetics. In existentialism, authenticity is the degree to which one is true to one's own personality, spirit, or character, despite external pressures; the consciousself is seen as coming to terms with being in a material world and with encountering external forces, pressures and influences which are very different from, and other than, itself. A lack of authenticity is considered in existentialism to be bad faith."

"I'm striving for authenticity (the suspension of disbelief) rather than realism."

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/7054-changes-to-female-characters/page__st__20#entry73458

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9452-many-players-are-quitting/page__st__40#entry102870

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/597-ai-death-squads-bullet-lethality-and-delayed-disconnect/#entry7140

False, you don't raid towns, you raid camps that have medical supplys or kill people with it. The only one who is the looser is the one actually collecting it, though he might spend the most time of all of them by getting the stuff. This simply sucks. The selfcalled "pro's" kill so called "noobs" that have done the work for them. Is this the way it should be? If you are a new player and play the game it seems supposed to be, you're just a victim playing for the "big boys" cause they just wait till you gathered all the stuff to kill you. great experience for new players, really...

You obviously didn't read http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6487-wtf-is-happening-to-the-server-community/page__st__40#entry67159 that was linked before in this thread.

Since I don't trust you to do that this time either...

"...the fact is, they operate under the same rules and restrictions as you guys and if anything, they have MORE to loose than you. When you spawn you have everything you need to survive, but you can't PK too easy."

I agree with OP.

I'm pretty much a bandit myself, have nothing against PVP as long as it's not just killing noobs wielding flashlights at the coast... The fear of getting shot by other players and losing all your sh*t is what makes this game so intense and awesome.

But the point OP is trying to make is that the end-game in DayZ is pretty much ALL about killing other players. There's really nothing else you can do but PK or possibly hoard vehicles and raid clan bases, all bandit activities.

If that's your experience, you're a scrub, plain and simple. If you're playing this more like an MMO, your main concerns should be who is locking down which parts of the map, what any player you spot is doing, where he might lead you, finding a niche for yourself on your given server, etc.

This.

I started staking off my claim in the game last night. I'm learning the area better and I'm prepping it to work in my favor. I feel bad for anyone who thinks the "end game" is deathmatching in Cherno and Elektro.

this failing mod that has almost reached 1 mill unique players. clearly its not failing to most people.

1. Your post is to long but i got your point (yes,i read it all)

2. Everything you posted as a flaws of this game is actuly what maked this mod interesting in first place.

3. Bandits are 85% of this game.(mostly guys who played FPS deatmach games true their entire life,,bored,, guys like yourself and 75% of others in this game)

4. Once you get all your gear its your personal prefrence by going on the rampage or continue your survival.Being or becoming a bandit or silent guardian angel,or just staying neutral.

5. The mod was intended as hardcore in first place,it was always against you,it is a hard,brutal and unforgiving experiance.

6. Everything ,,we,, hate about this mod is actuly the no.1 thing that makes us get back to it and play some more.

Its funny how people are forgeting that this is just a MOD (plus a mod in alpha stage) and FREE.

And you guys still cant stop expressing your negative opinions on it.Its funny how 90% of your statements are refering to anoying players and incuding ,,thats,, why this mod is failling.Mod and players are 2 separate things.

• Like 1

Well... I don't see how saying "its an alpha" isn't an intelligent comment, because its true. I'm sure rocket will think of some end game content in the beta and late alpha stages, so.... Your thread is invalid.

I have to agree with the OP in the sense that there's no trust.

I'm relatively new having only played DayZ on & off for a couple of weeks although Ive been playing Armed Assault for 5 years (since it was released). The Zeds in this mod have become just something you don't need to think too hard about anymore.

I'm at the point now where I'm sick of being shot on sight, mostly in the back, when minding my own business, with very little kit, trying to tool up after a respawn. Since I started I've found two friendly players and I feel the only option for me now is, like 99% of other players, to shoot on sight.

And I don't like that, its against my nature, but there's no other choice.

I agree 100% with the OP. I did not get involved with the mod just to be entering into a pvp deathmatch for 12yr olds, that's all this game is right now.

Edited by Mr Muggles
  • Like 3

You obviously didn't read http://dayzmod.com/f...__40#entry67159 that was linked before in this thread.

Since I don't trust you to do that this time either...

"...the fact is, they operate under the same rules and restrictions as you guys and if anything, they have MORE to loose than you. When you spawn you have everything you need to survive, but you can't PK too easy."

Yes, Rocket has not the slightest clue why his mod became popular or how to appeal to a non-niche audience. It wasn't for the PvP. It was because gaming magazines talked about the psychology and ambience of role-playing survival against zombies.

And he needs to pack it in with the "this is art!" bullshit. That is the saddest excuse for not actually thinking about the player behaviour your rule changes will have on how the game is played. He should just admit it's Arma-II, and you should bring your own organised team if you want to compete, with a bait and switch wrapper suggesting it's about zombies.

• Like 2

I am a new guy in this game ,and seriously thinking i wasted my money on ARMA II + expansions.

Been playing for a couple of days and never met anybody who is prepared to help or just let me be on my own way. Shot on sight at the first glimpse ,with NOTHING in my hands or my pack.

Well i guess so much for survival horror game,you kids need to go back to COD or BF3.

Is it so hard to be friendly these days?

• Like 2