Xianyu

Why this mod is failing

The game is NOT failing and bandits only add to the game, they are a good thing.

The Warz is coming out soon and left4dead2 is already out, go play those.

Looks like there's a lot of brownosing

What exactly does that mean? Who are we brown-nosing to and what benefit might they confer on us for such an action? As brown nosing by definition is generally done for favors from a superior. That may make sense in school or at work, but here...

I think you need to hit the books and dust off the old family vocabulary.

Don't tell me you wouldn't kill a man who jeopardized your own survival in the real world.

Well, I'm sure people have different ideas on what someone has to do in order to jeopardize their survival. Some bandits would claim that another person being alive jeopardizes their survival. While I would say somebody has to spot me and show intention of malicious behavior. Just a note I figured important to the idea you had.

I didnt read.

THEN WHY THE FUCK DID YOU POST?

On another note, banditry does sort of feel like the wild west but give it time. Like someone said above, the game is evolving.

How about what I would do in a videogame meant to simulate the real world... I wonder what I'd do..

Wait, I play one called Day Z and I shoot people on sight.

Forget what you WOULD do in the REAL world, this is a game. Do what you would do if it were Day Z, not "real life".

Its just a part of the game! ;)

If people choose to play it that way then so be it! No good moaning about it just get on with it or leave, and go play the sims or something!!! :rolleyes:

I love how so many people get all butthurt when someone bad mouths this game.

Yes, everyone's "butthurt" for laughing at the OP for playing a game he think's is failing.

*scratches head*

butthurt

butthurt

butthurt

Say this word another 20 times

How old do you feel?

Butthurt

Everyone in this thread has hurt botties

Edited by Izziee

Well in all honesty it really is JUST A GAME. I think perhaps you missunderstood the point of the game tho ... this is not a zombie survival simulation man, otherwise there would not be .50 caliber snipers and helicopters and all that crazy military equipment. This is just survival and yeah a slow deathmatch. Zombies are here to ... i dunno, because of the title i guess. I don't think we're playing it the wrong way, i think you are. Look at what the game gives you and tell me this was not meant to be purely PVP.

Edited by oby

Yes, everyone's "butthurt" for laughing at the OP for playing a game he think's is failing.

*scratches head*

butthurt

butthurt

butthurt

Say this word another 20 times

How old do you feel?

Same age I did 5 minutes ago.

Nice try though.

Thanks for validating my point.

A lot of you are failing to accept this game is supposed to resemble a real life zombie apocalypse. Don't tell me you wouldn't kill a man who jeopardised your own survival in the real world.

It seems this guy can't handle the reality of the game, and is complaining no one can be trusted, and his right, because that's how it actually is these days.

Also, tl;dr you hate bandits, but then

Cheer up mate! Survival of the fittest ;)

My thoughts on:

In bold: Supposed to resemble, is the key here. It really doesn't mean that playing this game/mod/simulator gives any indication to what would actually happen.

In cursive: Please tell me you would just shoot everybody on first sight. In this game there are no consequences if you kill someone, in life there is. In this game there are no consequences if you miss and get killed (only inconveniences), in real life there is. I know you said who jeopardises you, but should we go from this game, that's everyone.

Underlined: Dude...What?!?! EDIT: I guess your saying how it is now in the game. I read that wrong. My bad...

Edited by CLewis

In cursive: Please tell me you would just shoot everybody on first sight.

That's not what most people are claiming.

But alright. I would absolutely without hesitation kill someone who was a threat to my own or my families and friends safety, in any way available to me at the time, in a situation such as a real zombie apocolypse. On sight, after knowing them for a few days, doesn't matter. In a real apocolyptic situation, my own and my families survival comes first. In a real survival situation, if I get one hint that my safety or my families safety is in jeoprody, that's enough.

An apocolypse is an end of the world scenario, an end to rules and organization. If not, it's not an apocolypse. The idea that humanity would band together in such a scenario and disregard personal safety and the safety of their immediate friends and family, disregard survival, is laughable. This has nothing to do with being a pessimist. Similarly, trying to make the claim that this outlook makes someone a "Kill everyone in sight maniac" is laughable. It's a straw-man.

I just hate how the nubs run into this game with their console and WoW experience and start asking rocket to change the game according to those standards. Two games which are literally -designed- to be easy to get into and stay into.

I really don't understand people like you, who have to whine just because it can't always be their way. Grow up man - it IS just a game. And I don't understand the fact that this - alpha mod, not even a real standalone game - is one of the rare games that gives you the opportunity to do whatever the hell you want! But no! You need a goal set before you by someone else. Man, I was looking for a game like this in moths before I heard about DayZ. It gives you the opportunity to play as you like. There are guys teaming up - not in-game, I'll give you that. Why don't you camp on the coast waiting for a new player and then help him collect gear. Team up with him and expand your team?

There was a bunch of guys who thought of slavery system! They had imagination and were not whining about the lack of 'end game' like you do. They made the game fun for them, because the game gives you the opportunity to turn it into whatever you want.

Who says you need the best gear? Try surviving with basic stuff. Make it harder for yourself. But I guess it wouldn't be much fun for you, because you wouldn't have anything else to do. Yeah, the game has some major exploits, but this is an alpha. What don't you understand about that? It's a mod, considered to be a standalone in near future. If you pay full price for that standalone, and you get nothing more than there is now, then complain all you want. Or go ahead and just play Sims, then you'll have some objectives and it's all roses and rainbows.

How could there be end game content for characters that are not meant to persist for more than a few days anyway?

Seems -mid game- content is what would drive the end-game success of this mod... And it is.

• Like 1

I remember Rocket posting that the Bandits (Bad Guys) are winning is because all Survivors are QQing about it on the forums.

if this mod is failing why have nearly 1 million people purchased arma 2 in the last... say month just to play DayZ

you sir/maam/it

have just blown my mind...

That one million people have recently acquired ARMA2 for DayZ in no way means they're going to stick around.

The community is slowly but surely killing itself. (In more ways than one.)

I'd be curious to see how many active players this mod still has one month from now: If I had to venture a guess, I'd say no more than 20% of these new recruits will still be around.

Edited by Sloi
  • Like 1

That's not what most people are claiming.

But alright. I would absolutely without hesitation kill someone who was a threat to my own or my families and friends safety, in any way available to me at the time, in a situation such as a real zombie apocolypse. On sight, after knowing them for a few days, doesn't matter. In a real apocolyptic situation, my own and my families survival comes first. In a real survival situation, if I get one hint that my safety or my families safety is in jeoprody, that's enough.

An apocolypse is an end of the world scenario, an end to rules and organization. If not, it's not an apocolypse. The idea that humanity would band together in such a scenario and disregard personal safety and the safety of their immediate friends and family, disregard survival, is laughable. This has nothing to do with being a pessimist. Similarly, trying to make the claim that this outlook makes someone a "Kill everyone in sight maniac" is laughable. It's a straw-man.

I don't disagree that there are situations where most would defend them selves. But you would shoot a guy walking past you, who hadn't even seen you? Can you actually kill with 1-2 shots, as in are you good with guns? Are you good with rifles and even larger weapons? Would you watse the few bullits you had? YOU might be good with these weapons, but I highly doubt the majority is.

And the guy is was responding to used the "realism" argument, and thats was what he would do.

Edited by CLewis

How could there be end game content for characters that are not meant to persist for more than a few days anyway?

Seems -mid game- content is what would drive the end-game success of this mod... And it is.

This might be one of the best arguments I have seen on these forums. Not sarcasm...And beans!

And the people that agree with me. Well, you won't hear from them. They've already moved on.

The mod has potential, but the removal of bandit camouflage led to the situation we're now in.

It used to be a much friendlier environment: now that we have practically no way to determine a player's intentions and overall style of play, it's better to shoot on sight than take a chance.

Granted, it's not terribly difficult to reacquire your gear (takes me roughly one hour to get an ALICE, all tools and a primary weapon from a crash site).

The two biggest problems with DayZ: lack of end-game goals/material, and no persistent storage and/or overall progress.

Starting over loses its novelty after you've been killed a handful of times... then, it becomes a tedious exercise.

Until there are quests or some form of end-game goals along with better ways to semi-permanently store items and park vehicles relatively safely, I will spend considerably less time playing DayZ. Let's face it, who the fuck wants to spend hours fixing a helicopter, only to lose it to a random survivor's chance encounter with it the moment you log out for the night? It's a futile endeavor.

/rant

That one million people have recently acquired ARMA2 for DayZ in no way means they're going to stick around.

The community is slowly but surely killing itself. (In more ways than one.)

I'd be curious to see how many active players this mod still has one month from now: If I had to venture a guess, I'd say no more than 20% of these new recruits will still be around.

Where are you getting these magical statistics from or are they just your personal and rage induced opinions?

Where are you getting these magical statistics from or are they just your personal and rage induced opinions?

No rage involved, sir.

Just my intuition after years of experience playing online games and seeing what a shitty community ends up doing to them. DayZ is already unforgiving enough without people universally becoming bandits and shooting everyone they don't personally know on sight.

Believe it or not, most people tire rather easily of tedious and pointless exercises. DayZ is no exception to that.

Edited by Sloi
  • Like 1

My favorite thing about this thread is that everyone clearly didn't read the OP and just and just put the flame on.

• Like 1

Good post OP. Wasted though, the non-PvP players don't post on the forums long-term. They work out the truth of what the game is, how long it will take to mature, and silently move on.

This game has had a massive media hype, largely undeserved for the stage of development it is at, that has driven up people giving it a try. But longer term the number of players logging in each night will fade to the hard-core player base the mod is designed for (Rocket's bias is pretty evident).

Still, it's confirmed the obvious (If you have zombies in it, it will sell) and I'd expect to see other iterations of the idea.

• Like 1