munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

I like it the way it is. If you're getting killed by PvP'ers, adapt. Adapt or die. I've managed to survive for 6 days now. Probably a combination of luck and trying to play smart. "I went to Cherno and all anyone does is PvP! This game sucks!". Then stop going there!

Voodoo's opinion on things.

Today, I just PVP'd my first person. By that, I mean I began firing, murdered them, and took their stuff. I did it as an experiment to myself, to see how others get their kicks off doing it.

I concluded.. I felt bad. It's a game, I know, but the people I was in TS with had to co-erce me for 30 minutes to kill him, because he "Could kill me". Now, I've been murdered in cold blood, looted after finding a brilliant weapon and plenty of ammo by people who had been friendly with me the whole 3 hours we were together, But I don't get how some people literally have no morality. Fair enough, Kill to Survive, if they're a known PVP'er I wouldn't be afraid to fire a few rounds off to save my own skin, but whenever I hear shooting or someone close, I ALWAYS go on direct comms screaming "FRIENDLY, DON'T FIRE, FRIENDLY!", and those people who I meet are in the same boat as me. They don't know whether to trust this random bloke who's just come out of the trees behind them.

Long story short - I always want to team up, but I'm always wary of getting popped in the back, if your truly friendly then you wouldn't mind me being so wary :D

I am beginning to ponder more and more about killing other players. There is a limit how much u can endure the search of "same" buildings for the same stuff and same zombie situation over and over again. The mod is repeating itself too much.

The intelligent people who last more than a few hours in this game are the ones who understand that your best chances of staying alive for long periods of time are to interact with others. The bandit skin marks you as a dangerous person and a potentially unstable ally. Everything you want is already here' date=' but the balaclava option would be interesting to have.

[/quote']

You are entirely off base. The ones who last more then a few hours are the ones who understand your best chances of staying alive for long periods of time are NOT to interact with others.

The more people you encounter the large the chances of being back stabbed or outright murdered become. Stick to people you know have your back and make no exceptions to the rule. Avoid contact with other groups/players whenever possible and when not possible be sure you will win the fight.

Personally I think PVP is best part of the game.. It gives nice challenge when you cant know if someone is gonna back stab you or not. Really fun and makes you rage sometimes as well :D

I predict that as soon as they re-release the bandit skins again you will see 60-70% or more of all players with the bandit skin.

The infected make us look like monsters in comparison.

What I cannot understand is people PVPing at the coast towns with makarovs. I can understand people not willing to risk it when you get inland, when you have alot better gear and something to lose.

When I get killed inland by someone with a well placed sniper shot or someone pops up around a corner and sprays me full of bullet I think "Well done".

If I spawn on the beach and try to locate where I am and someone start chasing me with the makarov, now that just pisses me off. I have nothing you can't find at the nearest house.

Will people please stop the "POINTLESS" pvp and this game will become SOOOO much more enjoyable.

The intelligent people who last more than a few hours in this game are the ones who understand that your best chances of staying alive for long periods of time are to interact with others. The bandit skin marks you as a dangerous person and a potentially unstable ally. Everything you want is already here' date=' but the balaclava option would be interesting to have.

[/quote']

You are entirely off base. The ones who last more then a few hours are the ones who understand your best chances of staying alive for long periods of time are NOT to interact with others.

The more people you encounter the large the chances of being back stabbed or outright murdered become. Stick to people you know have your back and make no exceptions to the rule. Avoid contact with other groups/players whenever possible and when not possible be sure you will win the fight.

You misunderstand me, sir. I advocate exactly what you're describing, but I think it's rather difficult to find quality people who you know you can trust without interacting with others for prolonged periods of time. The complete loners who avoid all contact with others will die sooner than they would otherwise if they were part of such a group.

Once you find such a group it's best to avoid social contact with other players outside your group whenever possible, and, if you're forced to trade, it helps to treat the people you're trading with as mentally unstable felons who could snap at any time.

It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment

Where most games are designed to succeed' date=' most experiments fail. I just hope you get enough results to start making a proper game... before you run out of lab rats ;)

Your actions have real and brutal consequences. There are no game designed safety nets.

There is no real or brutal consequence to deathmatching all day in this game. Until one is introduced, your experimental design is flawed (unless the experiment is to see how many deathmatchers/griefers you can attract, in which case that experiment has been done countless times before, do your literature review!)

The sniper you describe - there are people like this in the world, and in the breakdown of order I can bet that there would be people who would sit on a roof and shoot people "just for the lulz".

I bet so too, but they'd be the nutjobs few and far between and certainly not on every corner block, you might want to review your population sampling strategy, it isn't representative at all (unless, as above, you're sampling griefers).

Why make something that has already been done?

Essentially (if the mod is to continue as you describe) you've made any other ARMA deathmatch mod, except with zombies in place of rabbits and loot in place of ammo crates.

My opinion on the PVP in this game is simple:

Right now, it's WAY too easy, and it trivialises the mods "survival" aspect. There is NO punishment for PvP (The bandit skin is... well what exactly did it stop?). I have friends who simply sit near~ the coast, far enough away so that newer spawn-ins can pick up stuff, let them wander up the coast toward them, and then plug em and ransack em. Why? Because it's a lot lot easier to get food and water by letting pack mules come to you.

Right now, I think PvP is the big thing hurting this mod more than anything. PvP however DOES have a place in the mod ,and it's a damned shame it's going the way it is. Right now, it feels like i'm playing the old Infiltration Mod (Remember that for UT99?) to some Silent Hill music, the zombies are just THERE and I HAVE caught myself saying "Oh, no it's just a zombie..." over team speak HUNDREDS of times.

A certain range of ground or certain areas of the map should be designated safe zones and a section of the map put aside for PvPers, or something, I don't know. Right now Zombies are just sort of there, and I've had people just turn the mod off for good the 21st time they got shot on the beach that day.

This mod should be about surviving a zombie apocalypse, not surviving in the wild west. It's all well and good saying you want people to experience a range of emotions but the fact it's an online game, people just don't care. It's 'not real' and 'It don't matter!' I mean, just look at what happened in EVE over the weekend? A market fucked over and for what? And on there they had police the stop them!

I'm not saying PvP shouldn't be in the mod, it most certainly should be. Just not how it is now. Something NEEDS to change as right now this feels like an annoying deathmatch.

Probably the best way to fix all the complaints about pvp is to increase the number of spawn points and spread them out more within the map. Everyone starts relatively close together on the coast, but if they started randomly throughout the island you'd have less people hanging out by the spawns waiting to cap newbies.

I'd say just keep the spawns away from the places that give the best loot, airfields, military camps, so on and so forth, but have folks spawn near all those little farms.

It's safe to say this is a PvP mod. The Dev team has just started. I'm sure they got plans.

Comms will get better; skins will show more visual cues as to who you're looking at.

Fortifications are coming.

If you don't wanna fight, find a way to play the mod as a pacifist. --hey!, if you throw down your weapons, less people will want to shoot you. Maybe we need a Monks skin for the unarmed? Be a healer, live on charity and stealth. Zombies are Gods children too!

But if you want to tote a gun, learn to hunt.

Saying "This game ain't what i thought it was." . .., well, it is what it is.

And yeah, it's PvP.

I totally agree it's a pvp game. It seems the majority of the complaints come from people who have been killed repeatedly within the first 15-20 minutes of game play, before they actually start getting into it. I think if the spawns were more varied you'd have less of that and more actual pvp, people getting decent shit to duke it out with, the fights being more centered on the places that load the best gear, airfields, military camps, such like that.

I don't think most people mind pvp, they dislike the "chill on the beach and shoot the newbie" mentality.

I think the spawns being where they are work just fine. Its sorta like an initiation, if you can make it thru that toughest part and get out alive with some type of gear, you know youre doing the right thing. Plus id rather there be lots of people around that area any way. It gives you a good understanding of how the action flows on the map.

I totally agree it's a pvp game. ....I don't think most people mind pvp' date=' they dislike the "chill on the beach and shoot the newbie" mentality.

[/quote']

Yeah, it's a hard game. Spawn camping's a bitch. Newbies always hit their head on the learning curve.

And ofcourse, there's always guys online who just want to ruin it for everybody else.

Let's be frank, that's every pvp game ever played.

Let the Dev team sort it out.

Being a bandit needs to have some sort of negative implications.

Hell I think it should be changed to 'sanity'. Killing innocent people reduces your sanity and you start hallucinating or develop schizophrenia - hearing phantom gunshots, zombie growls, voices in your head...

There's no real point to this game, so people aren't PvPing because they, say, need water or ammo and are killing a certain guy because he's loaded with ammo and water, they're killing people simply to grief.

Killing someone at the NW airfield not only forces them to endure hours of walking to get back there, but the killer even has the option to make all their loot unrecoverable. What is the point of that, besides a griefing tool?

Someone mentioned before that yes, in a survival situation, there will be people who will kill 'just for fun', but these people represent less than 1% of the population. In-game it's more like 75%.

I was just killed outside the NW airfield. I had a blood level of 2000, and some pretty weak weapons. Didn't find anything in the airfield except a shotgun with no ammo, so I left it. I asked some guy for help, and he didn't have blood packs but gave me a bunch of cooked food.

He then proceeded to follow me until I found my stash (which took half an hour in the dark) and immediately killed me for: a CZ 550 sniper rifle with two magazines, some basic meds, an empty canteen, and a .45 revolver and some bullets.

Having a low humanity should be extremely undesirable. Killing an innocent should have a profound immediate effect and long-lasting effects. Most people aren't killers and would be unable to deal with the mental consequences of it.

Additionally, no serious PVP penalties and nothing to really "do" in this game means people who are PVPing have a 'goal', to hunt other people. People who aren't PVPing are just going to quit the game.

I was just killed at the NW airfield by a guy who I helped save from zombies. I lost all my stuff (my weapons I didn't care about, I cared more about my collection of survival gear). My body is now so far away it might as well not be there, and I'm sure he hid it anyway.

I see absolutely no reason to play this anymore. Hours of playtime completely wasted. I'm not going to piss around the shitty newbies towns for another several hours desperately trying to find even the most basic supplies.

Well frost if you can't beat em' ......join em. Why not try the bandit lifestyle out for yourself? Hell even the game maker has turned into a griefing bandit killing beanfaces just for the fuck of it. Might as well jump on board the gank train express. Next stop Griefville! All aboard! CHOO CHOO! It's like babby's first fps. If the DayZ server could track mouth breathing the statistic would set a new world record.

Turkey, have you ever survived in a real zombie apocalypse? I'm going to go ahead and answer for you, and say that you haven't. Judging on the fact that if I go outside, everything is still pretty normal, I'm gonna say we haven't had the pleasure of knowing what life would really be like in that situation. How do you know that in such a devastated situation human resiliency and cooperation would remain, as seen during small natural disasters. Even Katrina was small compared to a world wide zombie apocalypse, so you can't compare the two. Realistically, things were pretty bad down there after Katrina anyway, but they don't show you that in the news. You take out government, police, and all else, mix that with limited water and food, and people will fight. You might want to learn how to, and learn how to build a solid group of like minded players for your mutual protection.

on a more personal note, your childish crying is honestly entertaining to me. You think the game should be played one way, and are upset because others wont play with you how you want to play. Your literally throwing a tantrum like a 5 year old, because you want to play tea party, and everybody else wants to play GI Joe. You prefer the love of other men, we get it, its cool... you enjoy their company, even in large groups, the bigger the better right? ;) You can keep your man love all you want, I'll be killing you pretty pretty princess party fruitcakes all day.

Everyone's playing your game the wrong way' date=' Turkey. Even Rocket!

[/quote']

I think the problem is the discrepancy between what's advertises on the box and the actual game as it plays out. That confusion and sense of misdirection is why there currently exist two different game definitions in the minds of players who came for the advertised gameplay (post-zombie-apocalypse) versus players who came for the emergent gameplay (griefer/PVP free for all).

What I mean by misdirection are things like the name "DayZ", the whole blood-spattered claw-marked title design, the swirling viral background of the site, the description mentioning infections:

You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Really, if all the intentional misdirection were stopped:

the above would read:

You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland Deathmatch Arena with item spawns in order to fight for your life frags against other opponents and what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease suckers who don't yet realize they're playing just another deathmatch and the griefers who enjoy harvesting their tears due to this confusion.

The whole Zombie theme needs to be turned WAY down and/or dropped completely (does ARMA 2 feature a rabbit theme because rabbits roam its countryside?). The theme and colors should be standard green camo, with say the logo being a criss-crossed pair of rifles, backdrop to a skull. The titling font should be redone into standard military cut-out font or maybe a variation thereof to indicate para/post-military forces.

What's going on at the moment is nothing short of repackaging PR, doing up some artwork in a space theme, calling it "Space Wars", then when the thousands of space-sim fans come pouring in wanting to know where the space simulation part of the game is, you tell them that it's all an experiment and that they're fighting a battle. On Earth. And Earth is in space.

Throwing in my lengthy opinion for what little it's worth. This mod needs less "PvP" references and more "Incidental Player Kill" references.

By that I mean first and foremost I see this as a survival game, and love it all the more because of that. Being stuck in the wilderness in pitch blackness, relying only upon a map and the north star above me to tell where I'm going--hearing only the sound of zombies in the distance as I get closer to towns that I need to scout for supplies--it's a survival game, not a free-for-all.

It's the deathmatch mentality of a lot of the (frequently new) players that ruins the experience for me--players who buy ARMA II simply so they can play the Zombie mod. A lot of them don't have the cooperative experiences that stock ARMA II provides, or understand the realism mechanics, or the general mentality of people who enjoy the milsim style of gameplay not to be found in shooters like Modern Warfare and such.

People like those only see the respawn counter, and the item pickups. They don't see the cooperative ventures, the required teamwork in surviving against a common foe. They know they'll repawn if they die, and thus don't see the consequences of death as being that great. Players who embrace the survivalist, realism side of the game see only the next checkpoint--the next ration they need to use. It's muddying the waters having two completely different player bases in a single server. People who play for the cooperation side of things get punished for trying to help other players, when those other players either turn on them five minutes in, or shoot them simply for the hell of it.

"PvPers" have nothing to lose by dying--they know they'll respawn. They don't have the same emphasis on survival as much as they do killing other players. When I first heard of the mod from my buddy, I thought it was just another zombie mod, but when I started playing, and saw how intact the realism settings were, I rejoiced! Here was a game where I could apply my tradecraft and survival knowledge, where I could actually look at the stars and gain useful information, where I could pinpoint landmarks and figure out my bearings, and feel rewarded for successfully reaching my destination (and a few hours afterwards I was sniped by someone with night vision and a high powered rifle whilst I was laying in the middle of a dark, cluttered forest examining my map).

Keep the player killing option. It's fine. But try to get rid of this 'Player versus Player" deathmatch mentality that's spreading so rapidly. Just look at the "Murders" counter on the front page--it goes up by 3 every minute! In a single day, well over 500 murders take place! The ARMA 2 engine has its limitations, but there needs to be some greater purpose to the mod, in order to remove the unintentional emphasis on killing other players.

But right now, all a bandit player needs to do is run to the airport or something, find some night vision goggles, and then go to town. They get the satisfaction of getting kills on other players, and those players get the frustration of having their survival experience ruined.

Life isn't fair, life isn't balanced, but this game isn't about life, it's about the undead zombies. It's anti-life. Just let us have our life ended by the zombies we're massacring, not by some prick who gets entertainment by playing ARMA 2 like other generic free-for-all first person shooters.

That's over-exaggerating a metric fuckton.

Zombies still pose problems. Most of the stories I read involve zombies in one way or another.

It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment

Where most games are designed to succeed' date=' most experiments fail. I just hope you get enough results to start making a proper game... before you run out of lab rats ;)

Your actions have real and brutal consequences. There are no game designed safety nets.

There is no real or brutal consequence to deathmatching all day in this game. Until one is introduced, your experimental design is flawed (unless the experiment is to see how many deathmatchers/griefers you can attract, in which case that experiment has been done countless times before, do your literature review!)

The sniper you describe - there are people like this in the world, and in the breakdown of order I can bet that there would be people who would sit on a roof and shoot people "just for the lulz".

I bet so too, but they'd be the nutjobs few and far between and certainly not on every corner block, you might want to review your population sampling strategy, it isn't representative at all (unless, as above, you're sampling griefers).

Why make something that has already been done?

Essentially (if the mod is to continue as you describe) you've made any other ARMA deathmatch mod, except with zombies in place of rabbits and loot in place of ammo crates.

As far as I can see, the game is continuing to grow daily. Every time I log in there are more and more and more servers, and they're all full to the brim. People like the evolution of the game enough that instead of surviving, it's prospering. The Days Ahead Youtube series garnered about 10,000 views in several days.

There are plenty of real and brutal consequences to a player's actions. Haven't you ever been shot at before? You throw around the term deathmatching too lightly. Instead of full respawns with all of your gear, as is usual in a deathmatch, you're left with a very basic kit in a tight spot if you're stupid or unlucky enough to get killed. Depending on how long you've been playing and what you have on you, death can be either a simple annoyance or a devastating, soul-crushing loss. The latter is NOT the kind of gameplay found in brainless deathmatching, which mostly occurs in this mod between noobies who have just spawned in at the beach and decide to start shooting at each other with pistols.

(I've seen the term deathmatch get thrown around so much that I'm thoroughly sick of hearing, reading, or encountering it in any form and likely will remain so for the next two weeks or somewhere thereabouts. There's far, far, FAR more diversity in what people have done in this mod than would be found in a deathmatch where the only goal is to kill everybody else. Please, it's not a relevant comparison and should not be used ever in rational debate.)

If you get killed, instead of screaming "COD NOOBIES RUIN MY GAEM WAAAAAH" and running off to a corner to cry consider that:

1. People most likely don't want to wind up playing an ArmA 2 version of Left 4 Dead with this mod once they read about it on the website.

2. Arma 2 is NOT the kind of game that attracts 13 year olds who have one hand in their pants and another on the mouse so they can shoot people. Even if they convince Mommy to buy it for them, they probably won't stick around long (I shouldn't have to explain why. Also, forget one of them figuring out how to install the mod). The vast majority of l33t$n1p3r$ who shoot people for the sake of shooting them fall into that demographic, which statistically probably doesn't even qualify for minority status in this game. The profile of those who shoot others is probably closer to the paranoid guy who (rightfully) distrusts Joe Blow on the internet and anything he says and wants to protect his stuff that he worked to get or, alternately, the person who is interested in grabbing what the other guy has because it's convenient and also has the former benefit mixed in.

As I've mentioned previously, there are many different ways to play this game. Different people have different personalities and will play the game different ways. I think saying that the game demographics are poor, innocent survivors vs. the masturbating mob of acne is vastly oversimplifying things.

Consider what I said just now about how people with different personalities will approach things different ways. You say that people will always work together to survive in catastrophic situations. I generally agree, but the actions of the groups they form will differ greatly depending on the nature, scope, and severity of the situation. If a tornado rips through a town in Kansas, the community will most likely come together and work to rebuild. However, a tornado and a zombie apocalypse (especially one that takes place in a recent warzone with plenty of military hardware just lying around) are not comparable scenarios.

While humanity has fortunately not been involved in a worldwide apocalyptic event yet, there are plenty of examples in history where there have been localized or regional disasters of sufficient intensity that we can reasonably sample behavior from those and apply what we find to a larger scenario. Remember, people can and have reacted to serious life or death situations in ways that they never, ever would have in any other situation. These types of environments can change people and how they behave in very fundamental and radical ways.

Take Hurricane Katrina, for instance. There was a wave of looting and chaos in the aftermath of what transpired. On several occasions, armed bands of gunmen were spotted roaming the streets and gunfire was reported in parts of the city in the news.

This is a direct copy/paste from a contemporary news article when a civilian asked a POLICE OFFICER for help:

"But Debbie Durso, a tourist from Michigan, said when she asked a police officer for assistance, he replied: "Go to hell. It's every man for himself."" Then there's James Gourlie. He was a Kiwi police officer, one of the six police officers out of two hundred (!) officers in his district force who remained in the city after the hurricane passed to try and preserve order. From the news article containing the quote: "A fellow officer was killed after warning looters away from a store. A looter pushed a gun against his head and pulled the trigger."

Officer Gourlie had the following to say: "It was heartbreaking to see this police officer lying on his back, blood pouring out of his head....I would expect something like this in a war zone in the Middle East. You'd be stupid not to be afraid. It's how you face it that counts."

While Katrina is probably the most relevant example, there are other examples of widespread chaos after less serious events (like the New York Blackout in 1977).

That's in real life. Now, you take people on the internet and put them into a game environment like the one we have now and it shouldn't be a surprise that people are getting killed all over the place. Still, human life in this mod is not entirely without worth because of the hours of work people put into the game in order to get what they have. That's probably one of the primary reasons for people being suspicious and shooting the other guy before he gets the chance to do the same to you.

Of course, there's also the problem where someone with good gear teams up with someone who has mediocre or poor gear. In that scenario it's a very foolish thing to do because the most likely outcome in my view is that unless you know the person IRL or outside of the game your colleagues will probably shoot you and take what you have. There will always be tension in groups like that, even where the people involved have gear that is roughly on par with everybody else's, unless all of your good luck comes in pairs (or threes, or fours, or fives....)

T. Penn, you keep complaining that this isn't a survival sim but a deathmatch sim. You people keep saying that in crises, the defining factor of humanity is that we pull together and help each other survive. There's just one problem with that analogy. The comparisons that have been drawn thus far are from real-life, small-scale natural disasters. Let me emphasize something. This mod is not about getting lost in the woods and having to survive in the wilderness for a week. It's not about having a tornado demolish your neighborhood. It's not about getting hit by an earthquake.

It's about dealing with being stuck in a corner of the globe that has has been overrun by zombies and is awash in weapons following a war. It's you and dozens of other internet denizens out there who will each handle things differently and in their own way. There are going to be the peaceful groups of reasonable, civic-minded people who manage to coexist and only want to help each other survive, and then there are going to be the raiding parties of roughnecks and bandits who use the copious amount of weapons left in the aftermath of the war to take what they need or what they want from others by force.

The mistake that the former group usually makes is that they project their goals onto everybody else and in doing so put themselves in a vulnerable position, which almost invariably will result in them getting screwed sooner or later. Then they come whine on the forums. Obviously, this group has the better odds of surviving longer. The downside is that bandits just love to attack these groups of people and they will almost always be on the defensive in such a scenario.

The latter group will always exist because many people at their core in these types of situations are mistrusting and greedy individuals, plus, many will opt for the easy way of obtaining good equipment by taking 30 seconds to shoot the players that have it instead of searching through towns for potentially hours to find the same stuff. The downside is that if it's done repeatedly they will eventually become known to the community at large and that will hamper their chances of long-term survival.

I think once they add roaming zombies that are away from towns people are going to have to think a little bit more carefully when shooting others, since the basic reasoning for shooting someone if you've been alive longer than 30 minutes is self-preservation and self-benefit. As things stand (this is coming from someone who's been the aggressor twice and the defender four times) if you're coming up on a town with people in it, you're at an advantage because the people inside, if they want to return fire, will either draw a zombie horde or will have to sprint out of town first while under fire (and possibly being chased by a zombie horde). If the shooter is more at risk of attracting flanking zombies, then the playing field is a bit more even.

In closing, wait for the devs to flesh out the game a little bit more and at least get it into a beta before we start arguing, guys. Rocket has already said that they'll be adding a bit more consequence to shooting people than we already have, and, if we're lucky, it will be enough to satisfy both parties to a reasonable degree. Wait and see, my friends, and in the mean time, adapt to the game as it stands now.

[/quote']

I think the problem is the discrepancy between what's advertises on the box and the actual game as it plays out. That confusion and sense of misdirection is why there currently exist two different game definitions in the minds of players who came for the advertised gameplay (post-zombie-apocalypse) versus players who came for the emergent gameplay (griefer/PVP free for all).

What I mean by misdirection are things like the name "DayZ", the whole blood-spattered claw-marked title design, the swirling viral background of the site, the description mentioning infections:

You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

the above would read:

You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland Deathmatch Arena with item spawns in order to fight for your life frags against other opponents and what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease suckers who don't yet realize they're playing just another deathmatch and the griefers who enjoy harvesting their tears due to this confusion.

The whole Zombie theme needs to be turned WAY down and/or dropped completely (does ARMA 2 feature a rabbit theme because rabbits roam its countryside?). The theme and colors should be standard green camo, with say the logo being a criss-crossed pair of rifles, backdrop to a skull. The titling font should be redone into standard military cut-out font or maybe a variation thereof to indicate para/post-military forces.

What's going on at the moment is nothing short of repackaging PR, doing up some artwork in a space theme, calling it "Space Wars", then when the thousands of space-sim fans come pouring in wanting to know where the space simulation part of the game is, you tell them that it's all an experiment and that they're fighting a battle. On Earth. And Earth is in space.

Best summary yet.

Except it's so much worse than a death match for those who aren't initiated yet. The second I realized what it was I stopped playing. I'm not being the collector for these assholes to get gear. Let them figure it out when those of us who wanted PvP to be just a PART of the game as opposed to the whole thing are all gone. Which will NOT be long. I can't imagine people blowing more than 20 or so hours with this rinse repeat ganking till they say fuck it.

[/quote']

the above would read:

Best summary yet.

Except it's so much worse than a death match for those who aren't initiated yet. The second I realized what it was I stopped playing. I'm not being the collector for these assholes to get gear. Let them figure it out when those of us who wanted PvP to be just a PART of the game as opposed to the whole thing are all gone. Which will NOT be long. I can't imagine people blowing more than 20 or so hours with this rinse repeat ganking till they say fuck it.

You should be alert and aware of your surroundings and play the game the way you'd play it if you were actually out there if you want to avoid getting mercilessly ganked over and over again. For military equipment, learn the good spots away from towns and airfields where it spawns. This is a societal breakdown with a shitload of guns sim, PVP is going to be a major component of the gameplay like it or not.

My advice is to find trustworthy friends to play the game with if you can't handle being a loner until you find a good group to run with. Whatever you do, anyone who's not either you or your tribe/clan/group/whatever should be treated with a large degree of distrust. Don't hesitate to shoot them if you have to, either.

Remember, there are wolves and there are lambs. You should avoid the former if you want to retain any chance of working with strangers (this game is still best played in groups like Legion or with IRL/OOG friends or people you've known for a while) and you should avoid the latter lest you fall prey to the former.