munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

You know, after getting killed 10 times a day by bandits/baits/everyone else during the "are you friendly" phase, I am seriously considering shooting everyone who I see.

Welcome to the world of DayZ, watch out for noobs, assholes, cowards, retards and paranoids... oh there's these things, zombies i think it was, yeah don't worry about em, keep an eye out for those other things i mentioned. Enjoy your days in DayZ the free for all grief fest where you can be an asshole all day.

P.S. For those that are wondering I've only been TKed 3 times, i think, and all of em where stupid, senseless, retard related deaths. And I haven't seen or heard of a bandit that wasn't just griefing. Except in the wild imaginations of said griefers .

Welcome to the world of DayZ' date=' watch out for noobs, assholes, cowards, retards and paranoids... oh there's these things, zombies i think it was, yeah don't worry about em, keep an eye out for those other things i mentioned. Enjoy your days in DayZ the free for all grief fest where you can be an asshole all day.

[/quote']

No shite? I just can't believe how easy it was to find people who'd not only shoot you, but also cooperate with you and go on. Now, that was a unique thing in games. Today, it's just a bunch of wankers killing people on sight.

An example of extremely friendly people who didn't know each other prior to the video:

Anyway, my solution would be to return the ability to see names (difficulty setting). And fuck the fact that you'll be able to see the distance between you and all that. I love difficulty, I love hardcore realism in ArmA, but it's just no fun if they just get away. At least when you see names, you have a certain definite chance to see their name and warn others, and they'd have to consider this before they kill you. That also would allow people to identify if it's someone they know or some random bloke who looks fishy.

Hello,

I and my group of friends kill anything that moves, sorry to say but we have been sick and tried of either being followed and murdered. Since the rid of the name tag system there is not many ways of contacting another player. Usually by the time you have attempted to contact them they have either gunned you down or have broken your legs.

Protip: Shoot a players legs while they are getting chased by zombies! The out-come has got to be the best I have ever seen. -Tip thanks to Scott'.

~Derranged

Actually we already survived quite a lot of apocalypses' date=' the entire business of evolution ... well I mean I can imagine taking on a 6ft zombie who wants to eat you, I can't imagine how the fuck we survived taking on 50ft creatures that want to eat you. [/quote']

Actually we've only endured a few apocalyptic events, none of which like the scenario that Day Z gives us. I can't imagine any sort of 50ft creatures that we had to survive against either. What were these? As far as I know, the human race hasn't been actively hunted down by any other creature, let alone 50ft ones. Are you under the impression that cavemen lived alongside massive dinosaurs?

This game is pretty much a social experiment.

If you turn off PvP in DayZ' date=' you might get a bit of a shock from what other people do in a real Zombie Apocalypse.

...just sayin'

[/quote']

Actually we already survived quite a lot of apocalypses, the entire business of evolution ... well I mean I can imagine taking on a 6ft zombie who wants to eat you, I can't imagine how the fuck we survived taking on 50ft creatures that want to eat you.

But that's what we do in survival situations, humans are known to use extensive teamwork in a crisis (and occasionally bash each others' skulls in, note: occasionally), so if that's not happening in your survival "simulation" either a) you're not properly simulating a survival situation or, b) you're survivors aren't human (possibly c) the situation does not permit teamwork, but again if that's the case then I strongly recommend revisiting a.)

Josh' pid='3406' dateline='1335600376']

It's a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. People are going to kill each other for food and water.

I' date=' for one, am a greedy 'ol bastard and kill whatever walks, crawls, or drags itself. I won't lie, yeah, I prey on those less fortunate than I am...

[/quote']

See how you did that there, contradict yourself? Yeah, that about sums up most PKer arguments when they try to explain they're surviving for food and water with a back pack full of both along with ammo they'll use to take out the player who has less of all three, but of course they won't need any of what he has anyways.

If the loot spawns are revisited, I can see maybe a few small minority cases where PVP is for surviving (that would make it about the right balance of risk vs reward for PVP), but as-is now the overwhelming majority of PVPers aren't doing it to survive, but just to grief.

If I have enough supplies of my own, I won't bother killing people for it all. Just to protect mine.

Actually we already survived quite a lot of apocalypses' date=' the entire business of evolution ... well I mean I can imagine taking on a 6ft zombie who wants to eat you, I can't imagine how the fuck we survived taking on 50ft creatures that want to eat you. [/quote']

Actually we've only endured a few apocalyptic events, none of which like the scenario that Day Z gives us. I can't imagine any sort of 50ft creatures we had to survive against either. What were these? As far as I know, the human race hasn't been actively hunted down by any other creature, let alone 50ft ones. Are you under the impression that cavemen lived at the same time as dinosaurs?

Technically our distant ancestors DID live at the time of the dinosaurs. No, I don't mean cave men or anything even closely resembling modern humans. Mammals bonding together into packs, mobs, clans, tribes, troupes, etc. for the benefit of the group is as old as warm blooded animals themselves... we are no exception. The show Meerkat Manor is a fascinating example of these behaviors still occurring today: http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/meerkat/about/about.html

Is it just me or does the discussion look like this:

Griefing should be punished VS Griefing is what makes the mod fun

to everyone?

It's not griefing, though. It's what should be happening.

Think of this akin to EVE online. You put yourself out there, somebody somewhere is going to want you dead because of you what you have. It's just the nature of survival.

Due to the random nature of spawns along the coast, it's really hard to "Grief" proper.

Lets get down to brass tacks.

50% of the people are friendly who enjoy teaming up and working together and playing a zombie game.

50% of the players prey on these players and specifically play this mod because they know they can PvP without the worry of being shot first and could give two shits about zombies.

We are playing two separate games. Half of us are playing a zombie survival game and half of us are playing a PvP deathmatch sniper simulator where the other people are their bots and their content.

Just take the zombies out. Problem solved.

Zombies are just getting in the way of all dat L337 PvP.

TEXT

This guy sure understands me and any other manhunter in the game. Totally. I mean' date=' he's so right! We should take zombies, and survival out of the game! [/sarcasm']

Way to grossly oversimplify the situation and the diverse interests people have in the game.

Yeah Turkey, if you really believe the situation is like that, then you shouldn't be here discussing it with us, because you clearly don't understand it.

Just because you're upset that it's been pointed out that can't handle an intelligent discussion anymore doesn't mean you have to resort to flaming.

Edit: It should be added that that kind of behavior only hurts others that are on your side of the argument.

Yeah Turkey' date=' if you really believe the situation is like that, then you shouldn't be here discussing it with us, because you clearly don't understand it.

Just because you're upset that it's been pointed out that can't handle an intelligent discussion anymore doesn't mean you have to resort to flaming.

[/quote']

Suggesting I leave because you disagree with my opinion. WHAT YEAR IS IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Make a thread asking for input and discussion on pvp.

Tell anyone who doesn't agree to your single viewpoint to leave.

OH WOW! STAY CLASSY!

It is like I am really posting on the XBOX Call of Duty forums! DUDE SWEET!

It was suggested you leave because you fail to understand the core of the matter. Grossly oversimplifying the situation makes it even more difficult to come to compromise or to learn about other people's mindset when playing the game. Sometimes, certain approaches to a discussion are more detrimental as a whole than they are beneficial to all parties.

Suggesting I leave because you disagree with my opinion. WHAT YEAR IS IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Make a thread asking for input and discussion on pvp.

Tell anyone who doesn't agree to your single viewpoint to leave.

OH WOW! STAY CLASSY!

It is like I am really posting on the XBOX Call of Duty forums! DUDE SWEET!

Anyone disagreeing with my views are welcome here to argue, just as they give me the same courtesy. You, on the other hand, have resorted to flaming/troll posts, and as Freyar mentioned, you've shown that you clearly don't understand the matter.

I hope everyone on the "PvP side" (as if it could even be simplified as that) understands that Turkey doesn't represent the rest of those that are from the other camp.

It was suggested you leave because you fail to understand the core of the matter. Grossly oversimplifying the situation makes it even more difficult to come to compromise or to learn about other people's mindset when playing the game. Sometimes' date=' certain approaches to a discussion are more detrimental as a whole than they are beneficial to all parties.

[/quote']

And just what is the core of the matter? That debating and discussing PvP in a thread asking for opinions on PvP shouldn't be allowed? Do you even read what you write before you hit enter?

How am I grossly oversimplifying anything? You yourself called your game play style as a "Manhunter". How can I take that for anything other than shooting other people for the sake of shooting other people?

We are playing two entirely separate games. You are playing Manhunt people are my content PvP mod and I am playing a sandbox Zombie game.

And just what is the core of the matter? That debating and discussing PvP in a thread asking for opinions on PvP shouldn't be allowed? Do you even read what you write before you hit enter?

How am I grossly oversimplifying anything? You yourself called your game play style as a "Manhunter". How can I take that for anything other than shooting other people for the sake of shooting other people?

We are playing two entirely separate games. You are playing Manhunt people are my content PvP mod and I am playing a sandbox Zombie game.

Hunting another player is much more risky than that of sneaking through a village where zombies can get tripped' date=' and getting caught with your pants down by another survivor has (typically) resulted in a shoot-first-ask-later scenario. Tracking a person is faster, but has a higher risk of failure compared to carefully sneaking into a town, at night, finding a Compound Crossbow, two bolts, two cans of food, and maybe a map.

50% of the people are friendly who enjoy teaming up and working together and playing a zombie game.

50% of the players prey on these players and specifically play this mod because they know they can PvP without the worry of being shot first and could give two shits about zombies.

This shows you aren't thinking about the whole of it, and are willing to oversimplify.

Lets get down to brass tacks.

We are playing two separate games. Half of us are playing a zombie survival game and half of us are playing a PvP deathmatch sniper simulator where the other people are their bots and their content.

Just take the zombies out. Problem solved.

Zombies are just getting in the way of all dat L337 PvP.

As one of the players in the first 50%' date=' I don't think the game would be fun without the element of unpredictability and danger the other 50% brings. Some of the most fun I have had is getting ambushed by PKs. People come into this game with an MMO attitude about getting the best loot and then rage when they lose it, but that is totally out of place for the gameplay experience.

Remember: "LOSING IS FUN"

If you keep that in mind, that you will have a lot more fun than if you camp for hours to horde up NVGs in a tent and never encounter danger.

The stories you create are what makes this game fun time after time, and player killers are part what makes them all so different and exciting.

Anyone disagreeing with my views are welcome here to argue' date=' just as they give me the same courtesy. You, on the other hand, have resorted to flaming/troll posts, and as Freyar mentioned, you've shown that you clearly don't understand the matter.

I hope everyone on the "PvP side" (as if it could even be simplified as that) understands that Turkey doesn't represent the rest of those that are from the other camp.

[/quote']

I never claimed to represent anyone. I am stating my opinion as I see it. As for you referring to my posts as "troll posts" and "flaming" your posts are doo doo kaka and poopy doop.

I never claimed to represent anyone. I am stating my opinion as I see it. As for you referring to my posts as "troll posts" and "flaming" your posts are doo doo kaka and poopy doop.

No, you didn't claim that you represent anyone, but you do share opinions with others on that side of the argument. What I'm saying is that I don't want any of the others, who have great arguments and make good posts, to be associated with you and looked down upon like you are now.

No' date=' you didn't claim that you represent anyone, but you do share opinions with others on that side of the argument. What I'm saying is that I don't want any of the others, who have great arguments and make good posts, to be associated with you and looked down upon like you are now.

[/quote']

Well looks like you win baby stomper I don't want to stink up this thread any longer with my treasonous traitorous viewpoints that will corrupt the youth. Since I am so looked down upon, I will banish myself back to the lower levels of hell.

Leave now and NEVER come back. LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK!

Traitorous viewpoints? No, just lacking with any particular insight. Lumping people into one of two groups is pretty lame and doesn't do anything to help really get into the meat of what drives PvP.