munchy

The PvP Discussion Thread

i would like pvp challenge if we had the ability to keep our last gear before we die and a better respawn system.Moreover it would be nice players to challenge u 1st before they just blind shoot u.

Otherwise i hope all of teamkillers get kiccked!!

LOL :):D

The risk of encountering other players is the thing that keeps this mod alive and made it so popular. It's not "teamkilling", we aren't playing Left 4 Dead, it's survival. Sometimes you benefit most from grouping up with a person you come across, but sometimes they may seem too dangerous to even go near. Other times you want to kill them. Either out of greed, or desperation.

Tip: Smart people don't often want to group up with those dumb enough run around out in the open or stand right in the middle of a light source at night. (Hopefully a new zombie spawn system makes these people more cautious, since they obviously aren't learning from people it seems)

This is the only realistic zombie/survival simulator out there and it doesn't need to be monitored by magical anti-PvP systems. In real life you don't need to be in designated areas or worry about your magical humanity score changing when you decide to do something. Naturally the game already supports risks and consequences for every decision you make.

Otherwise i hope all of teamkillers get kiccked!!

I agree teamkillers should be kicked. But seeing as you have teams of 1, it seems beside the point ;)

The implication there is that if you want to PVP you go to these areas' date=' if you don't want to you go somewhere else and you're fine. Hence, arenas.

[/quote']

Incorrect. The implication is if you want *risk-free* pew pew, you may go there; however if you want to play a survival mod where PVP has consequences and a meaningful impact on the way you interact with other players and survive, then you play with the regular areas. Really it's the only comprise I can see short of banning excessive PKers who will undoubtedly turn the mode into senseless PK.

the Ships Destroyed in Last Hour option on the star map you'd know that as well.

Perhaps you should have took the time to Check Ships Destroyed in Jita, you would have realized the irony that is your argument: PVP systems such as the one I proposed don't prevent PVP, if anything they encourage it in a better way.

As for my EVE profession, I've been playing for close to three years, and I live in wormholes where people know the risk of being there and the ones that live to fly another day are the ones who are smart enough to know that simply by being logged into the game they are subjecting themselves to a certain amount of risk.

I didn't have a single one, but I spent a lot of time in lowsec drinking tears of failpirates and sharing hearty laughs with them about the gross misconceptions of risk in sea-of-blues, super-cap happy land that is null/wormbear space.

In either game, the people who are not intelligent enough or not cautious enough to adapt to the risks of the game environment generally won't last long.

Your last paragraph regarding this mod is ultimately subjective and the only opinion that really matters in the end when it comes to this matter is that of the people making the game.

yeah, but the "risks of the game" aren't the same. Ask yourself why there is a large initial interest in this mod if there already exist many others for PVP? Why make an entire separate mod, assets, if they're just a sideshow?

While you may think the intent of this mod to be more than just another PVP shooter is subjective, I'll simply look upwards and point at the sign on the entrance, that it reads "DayZ".

not "DayPVP".

Day. Z.

Z

While you may think the intent of this mod to be more than just another PVP shooter is subjective' date=' I'll simply look upwards and point at the sign on the entrance, that it reads "DayZ".

not "DayPVP".

Day. Z.

Z

[/quote']

You seem pretty down on the whole PvP thang. Perhaps someone should point out that all the most interesting zombie movies and literature are about interactions between people. The zombies are more of a backdrop.

Conflict between players should obviously remain a part of the game, and as far as I am aware the developers fully intend for it to remain so. The question really, is how much of a part. For me, the balance needs to be tipped ever so slightly away from it. Not a lot, just a few degrees.

You are all being intentionally dishonest. There exists a HUGE difference between competitive PvP and gankers and griefers killing people by sniping them in the back for no reason other than for LULZ on a server where a large portion of the playerbase would not shoot first and do not even play that way.

What we do NOT have is a gigantic world like EvE online. We have sharded servers.

The best solution would be to have PvP servers and non-pvp carebear servers (that is if anyone is willing to even host a non pvp server).

The griefers and gankers are taking advantage of a large trusting playerbase. Unless you want every player to simply shoot the first person they see on sight to not take the risk they will be shot then you need to act.

The Bandit system is a great idea but punishes the innocents who kill in self defense. Maybe make the number of kills required to earn the bandit skin higher. Like kill three people to earn the bandit skin and no magical refilling humanity, you have to earn it by blood transfusions and bandages.

That way people who kill in self defense can go into large towns hospitals and do work to redeem their name before they turn bandit.

The bandit skin puts us on a more even playing field. It separates the innocents from the murderers.

Do what you guys feel is best but PLEASE do not think that I am stupid enough to mistake ganking and griefing for competitive PvP in any way shape or form.

In a game using (essentially) perma-death, there really is no "competitive" PvP. This is a kill or be killed game when it comes to unknown players. A person firing off indiscriminately at walls or ground (yes, I've seen that) is a risk to not just himself, but people around him as well.

So far, I've had to carefully consider the risk of going after another player. I balance the risk of being shot an attracting a zombie (or horde) versus being able to get what I want (resources or security). The people against the system as it is now mistake this whole approach as malice, killing "for teh luzl" as they put it when it simply is a cold calculated ratio of risk, reward, and security.

No, having a Concord system lifted from EvE would not be a good idea. Zombies aren't a balancing force. They're deadly in a crowd and can really **** up an unprepared person. Even if you are prepared, that's a set of resources you're still spending anyway.

"If you shoot someone,you're a griefer" isn't the proper way to look at this.

The issue really needs to stop being treated like the game is an MMORPG. Although I can see the comparison with EvE in that you have huge risk/reward, the games should not be treated the same way. The difference is that adding anti-PvP mechanics like we're playing an MMORPG and not a simulator will not benefit the mod. and will take way from the organic nature of the gameplay that makes it so great.

Look it boils down to this. You got to have something here. Either the bandit skin, or a quarantine zone, SOMETHING!

It is not fun to have absolutely no chance at all.

It is not fun to not be able to trust anyone in game because there is absolutely no system of checks and balances against ....PvPers as you so kindly refer to campers who snipe people from cover for no reason other than the lulz.

I don't want to be your content.

I don't want to be a bot in your sniper simulator.

You are all being intentionally dishonest. There exists a HUGE difference between competitive PvP and gankers and griefers killing people by sniping them in the back for no reason other than for LULZ on a server where a large portion of the playerbase would not shoot first and do not even play that way.

What we do NOT have is a gigantic world like EvE online. We have sharded servers.

The best solution would be to have PvP servers and non-pvp carebear servers (that is if anyone is willing to even host a non pvp server).

The griefers and gankers are taking advantage of a large trusting playerbase. Unless you want every player to simply shoot the first person they see on sight to not take the risk they will be shot then you need to act.

The Bandit system is a great idea but punishes the innocents who kill in self defense. Maybe make the number of kills required to earn the bandit skin higher. Like kill three people to earn the bandit skin and no magical refilling humanity' date=' you have to earn it by blood transfusions and bandages.

That way people who kill in self defense can go into large towns hospitals and do work to redeem their name before they turn bandit.

The bandit skin puts us on a more even playing field. It separates the innocents from the murderers.

Do what you guys feel is best but PLEASE do not think that I am stupid enough to mistake ganking and griefing for competitive PvP in any way shape or form.

[/quote']

I personally don't think the PvP in dayz can be classed in any 1 of the 3 states you listed above, infact its a mix of all 3 mashed up to be the "survival" key aspect of this mod the bit which everyone seems to love soo much, what do you really expect from a post apocalyptic wasteland with few resources and ever increasing competition for said resources??

Your gonna have the gangs of guys roaming around looking to pick off easy targets for supplies or lone Psycho just moving from place to place trying to stay alive by killing or hunting people if needed, as well as the more set up groups with a camp/base and intent on controlling an area of their own to stay safe (I see the last group as a sorta remains of military units) which as we're all ready seeing them clash for territory in the edges of the map.

But alas it is not "competitive PvP, ganking or griefing" as you state but it is my good sir....... it is survival by. Any. Means. Necessary. In it's truest form. (deal with it Nerd)

PS. if you want a carebare server then you better check out the Zombie sandbox mod (whichever one) because this is not the game for you at all.

act.

I personally don't think the PvP in dayz can be classed in any 1 of the 3 states you listed above' date=' infact its a mix of all 3 mashed up to be the "survival" key aspect of this mod the bit which everyone seems to love soo much, what do you really expect from a post apocalyptic wasteland with few resources and ever increasing competition for said resources??

Your gonna have the gangs of guys roaming around looking to pick off easy targets for supplies or lone Psycho just moving from place to place trying to stay alive by killing or hunting people if needed, as well as the more set up groups with a camp/base and intent on controlling an area of their own to stay safe (I see the last group as a sorta remains of military units) which as we're all ready seeing them clash for territory in the edges of the map.

But alas it is not "competitive PvP, ganking or griefing" as you state but it is my good sir....... it is survival by. Any. Means. Necessary. In it's truest form. (deal with it Nerd)

PS. if you want a carebare server then you better check out the Zombie sandbox mod (whichever one) because this is not the game for you at all.

[/quote']

The resources are NOT limited! I found 20 cans of food in two apartments buildings along with enough soda to have your sweet sixteen birthday party (I hope you get lots of presents and cake). There is no competition for supplies. They are freaking everywhere!

You are intentionally being dishonest for whatever reason. Either to try and defend griefing people or because you have not played the game enough to know this.

Where is this necessity that you speak of?

How is it survival to kill a guy for food when if you walk for 5 minutes you will have a 20 slot bag with as much as you can hold?

You are delusional if you think this is the case. The bandit system is already a step in the right direction. Looks like you might be a little bit butthurt about it? Perhaps you should comb those cheeto crumbs out of your neckbeard.

Told [ ]

Not Told [ ]

Turned into a zombie [X]

It shouldn't take ppl long to realize that killing someone for their loot is pretty useless. Killing someone for a can of sardines or a winchester/sniper is not worth the penalty when u can easily find those weapons after few towns and 1h walk.

If you could gut a human for 8 steaks then "normal" players might start killing others just to survive after they have gone really low in blood.

Herp derp trollers who just play to kill other players for lolz are something that you just have to accept and change your own gameplay accordingly. These players are here to stay. They exists in every game. Though in DayZ there is almost demand for them. And I can imagine that without any side-missions or whatnot, others will start to kill humans just to experience something other than just doing the same old town-sweeps all over again.

We need more incentives for "normal" players to start crossing their ingame moral threshold. Perhaps some side missions that force u to cross the line.

Make the social experiment more deeper...

The resources are NOT limited! I found 20 cans of food in two apartments buildings along with enough soda to have your sweet sixteen birthday party (I hope you get lots of presents and cake). There is no competition for supplies. They are freaking everywhere!

You are intentionally being dishonest for whatever reason. Either to try and defend griefing people or because you have not played the game enough to know this.

Where is this necessity that you speak of?

How is it survival to kill a guy for food when if you walk for 5 minutes you will have a 20 slot bag with as much as you can hold?

You are delusional if you think this is the case. The bandit system is already a step in the right direction. Looks like you might be a little bit butthurt about it? Perhaps you should comb those cheeto crumbs out of your neckbeard.

Well as I can guess your playing on the US servers??? you know the ones with a more than double spawn rate or random items and guns. Yeah that might be you problem.

but lol as it goes for being butthurt about the bandit system well........ I have the top living human kill for this mod (58 I do believe)......and I don't have that skin :P and in terms of "intentionally being dishonest" (you keep using that phrase which makes me think whatever happens you'll sup in your own reality to override real life due to you inability to understand someone disagreeing with you as "lying to themselves" ) I know far more about the PvP than you and as I said before THIS IS NOT THE MOD FOR YOU! go play zombie sandbox thats is full of fun things that you clearly like doing such as collecting food/can as well as guns and living happily ever after with all your zombie friends.

Have fun on sadbox :) you wouldn't be missed xx

What mod are you playing? Certainly not the same one that I am. Supplies are everywhere. No matter which server I have played on I can find a backpack filled to the brim in under 30 minutes from first spawn.

Yes we get it. You grief and gank people all day. That is fun for you. Nothing wrong with that. Please stop trying to convince me that I should play a different game because you are not happy with the new changes that have been put into the game. Bandits are in game now. If you do not like it maybe you could go back to call of doody. Perhaps that it a little bit more your speed?

Can anyone on this message board get into a pvp discussion without bringing up CoD comparisons and turning it into mudslinging contests? PVP AND teamplay are both just facts of life in Day-Z right now, and as an above poster pointed out, zombies aren't the focus of any but the most simple horror storys that involve them. Unless the zombies are far different than the flesh eating norm.

Anyone even watch and understand what the first three George Romero zombie movies were about? It wasn't the zombies, it was about the human condition.

And yes. Some of us are Bens, or Peters. But some of us are definately more Captain Rhodes than either of them, and that's where the urge and feel to take what isn't yours by force or coercion comes from.

What mod are you playing? Certainly not the same one that I am. Supplies are everywhere. No matter which server I have played on I can find a backpack filled to the brim in under 30 minutes from first spawn.

Yes we get it. You grief and gank people all day. That is fun for you. Nothing wrong with that. Please stop trying to convince me that I should play a different game because you are not happy with the new changes that have been put into the game. Bandits are in game now. If you do not like it maybe you could go back to call of doody. Perhaps that it a little bit more your speed?

Ahahah you really don't understand anything do you......... the bandit thing was a point you made, I said very little on the subject infact what I did say (just to recap) was along the lines of it doesn't affect me one bit, I would like to have that skin to tell the truth. Oh and one last thing just note I started this thread to ask people how they felt about Pvp, not to complain about changes that I like or don't really effect me. Try and keep up.

Ahahah you really don't understand anything do you......... the bandit thing was a point you made' date=' I said very little on the subject infact what I did say (just to recap) was along the lines of it doesn't affect me one bit, I would like to have that skin to tell the truth. Oh and one last thing just note I started this thread to ask people how they felt about Pvp, not to complain about changes that I like or don't really effect me. Try and keep up.

[/quote']

Im way ahead of you champ. I think you are still stuck on trying to imply that the US 1-4 and NYC 1-3 spawn items like a vending machine.

Why don't you let us all know what is the RIGHT server to play on sport?

Why don't you both take the garbage to private messages or something so that maybe some actual discussion on the current state of PVP can go on?

Im way ahead of you champ. I think you are still stuck on trying to imply that the US 1-4 and NYC 1-3 spawn items like a vending machine.

Why don't you let us all know what is the RIGHT server to play on sport?

Well I wouldn't say ahead..... more like on something I said, just a few posts back but whatever. Your learning I guess.

Well yeah they are set higher I asked Towic or Tonic (not clear on the name) the guy who set them up it's the same setting which gives crosshairs and 3rd person but yeah they are, that's why it's so easy to find stuff. I'm not saying it's bad it's just how the servers set.

And if you would like to know where I play that would be the EU servers which is in no way the "RIGHT" server just the one I prefer, you're fully welcome to join and see if I'm lying to myself.

Now with that this thread has nicely been put to death. Thanks to the both of us and it's all I have to say on the matter.

The only thing I think is missing is some kind of no-fire/trading zone. Maybe a church or something. Though this might break immersion when 20 players just sit in a church and spam local chat.

The fact the PvP has been so ubiquitous from the game's very inception shows how integral it is to the gameplay, and attempting to eliminate or discourage it would be stifling. At the same time though, I don't think random deathmatching should be the biggest part of this mod, because one can play literally any other game to get that experience. What I think we need is to make it a more productive and directed activity, rather than random griefing. "PvP with a purpose" is what I think we should strive for, through the implementation of factions.

Another solution to the current situation would be to incentivize PvE. There is no reason to attack the Zeds, especially considering how easily avoided they are, but killing a human player will always yield valuable items. I think that some sort of increase in humanity or some other kind of benefit from killing Zeds, no matter how marginal, would make the focus of the game less about spawnkilling other players, and more about working together to survive.

To keep this game fun without compromising the sandbox element, what we need is to create more legitimate forms of player activity, and subtly incentivize certain player behaviors, rather than punishing others. If PvE is pointless, and PvP is without gain at all, the safest course of action is to sit and hide by a stash, which is not what I think anyone would like to see this game turn into.

Oh hey you and you'r friend spent all day looting?

oh let me kill you with my silencer and nvgs

All PVP does is piss people off and make them PVP so you make a vicious cycle of people just PVPin and nobody has any fun

The only time i have killed another person was because of a reflex shot i did when i was getting chased some how he wanted to chase me so i turned around and popped him without thinking then i killed the three zombies i then noticed he had a backpack... good job whoever that was...

Being a former EvE Online player' date=' [/quote']

Then you know how horribly broken and what kind of mess the PVP system is in right now in this game - it was the same as EVE early betas before they put in an aggro and CONCORD system. The game nearly died in those stages because asshats (the ones that exist in every game just to grief others) would simply kill everything in sight.

Over however many years since then, we can take a page from developers who have been at this problem for the better part of a decade: Keep the PVP system alive but in-check; aim to fix it sooner rather than later after griefers/excessive PKers alienate the playerbase and kill the mod; lastly, enforce whatever system is created (meaning kicks and global bans for anyone who exploits the system).

Humanity is a good start (similar to EVE's standings system), but the next steps are needed. To take directly and unabashedly from EVE: sections of Chernarus can be deemed "badlands" (EVE's "low security systems") where anything goes and no hits to humanity, everywhere else, the PVP system is in effect (EVE's "high security systems"). It's even possibly to emulate CONCORD (EVE's way of allowing but quickly neutralizing PVP): have bandit aggression against non-bandits trigger a horde spawn (rational: hordes are attracted by excessive gunfire), then have bandits become higher-priority targets for zeds (rational: infected can smell pheromones produced by aggression and rage, attracting them to the aggressor).

Definitely, PVP needs to be an element to the mod, but a secondary one, not the current center-stage kill-all gameplay that is taking over this mod.

Definitely with you on the aggro attracting Zombies.

There needs to be more benefit to working together, and less benefit for being an asshole.

Griefing is not PvP in a zombie coop RPG *ALPHA*.

There is no reason to shoot random people currently unless they are firing on you as it's so simple to get gear and teaming up means even more gear since you can clear more zombies safely or loot quicker.

This "PvP" is detrimental to the game especially taking into account the NVGs, as new players get killed repeatedly by people camping a costal road or town with superior weapons from positions they will never be found in.

There really is no argument or way to hide it that you are a griefer if you actively believe in the pvp for this mod as it is right now.