Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Its not that its too hardcore. Its unplayable and not very fun. At night.

I think people are only asking for a small adjustment to dial it in. Black screens are no fun.

there are no black screens. That's a straight up lie. calling it unplayable is also a gross exaggeration. Again, every night time server i enter is rife with activity. Seriously, people are implying that it's all just admins and their friends spawning night vision goggles? people will say anything at all in the interest of furthering their argument.

seeing as recent patch notes included the amendum "you're all fucked' date=' hahahahaha" I'd say it's a fairly good assumption that Rocket gets a good laugh here and there when people complain his hardcore mod is too hardcore.

[/quote']

At the same time, he obviously wants to make a game that people will want to play and has demonstrated a clear willingness to listen openly to our suggestions and incorporate them as appropriate.

Besides, no offense, but your stance is hypocritical. You claim the darkness level is fine, but openly admit to altering your game's settings to compensate because it's too dark at the default levels. If you feel compelled to artificially enhance the light levels by changing your game settings, then isn't that a sign that the default darkness levels are too extreme even for you?

there are no black screens. That's a straight up lie. calling it unplayable is also a gross exaggeration. Again' date=' every night time server i enter is rife with activity. Seriously, people are implying that it's all just admins and their friends spawning night vision goggles? people will say anything at all in the interest of furthering their argument.

[/quote']

Actually, last night it was pitch black. More so then usual...

all I saw were stars and everything was BLACK.

That's with gamma/brightness at max with HDR

there are no black screens.

You are incorrect sir. The numbers and facts do not support your hand waving and name calling.

there are no black screens. That's a straight up lie. calling it unplayable is also a gross exaggeration. Again' date=' every night time server i enter is rife with activity. Seriously, people are implying that it's all just admins and their friends spawning night vision goggles? people will say anything at all in the interest of furthering their argument.

[/quote']

Then you and I are playing completely different games.my self and my group went through 4 or 5 EU / Rus servers last night looking for one that was playable all of them were to dark to make out trees from the grass or buildings in-front of you.

I turned my brightness and gamma up a couple notches and it seems pretty accurate. I think I have them both at 1.3 (obviously be different depending on your monitor). I can make out rough shapes (but no details) outdoors, but indoors and in the forest it's still pitch black. From what I've experienced on a moonless night in the country once your eyes adjust I would say it's realistic.

I wonder if there's a way for the game engine to simulate your eyes adjusting? In the dark your vision would gradually get better and better for 30 minutes or so. If you light a flare or fire or someone shines a light in your face you have to re-adjust to the darkness again.

Then you and I are playing completely different games.my self and my group went through 4 or 5 EU / Rus servers last night looking for one that was playable all of them were to dark to make out trees from the grass or buildings in-front of you.

Exactly. After failing to find a server I could even see in (before the patch, I pretty much only played during the night), I gave up and didn't bother playing.

This is a game killer for me since I work 40 hours during the week and work normal business hours. By the time I get home to play some games, every server that I can get into that isn't across the ocean is night. The only way I ever see light is if I luck out and find a server where time is flipped or some how not get kicked from a European server.

I wonder if there's a way for the game engine to simulate your eyes adjusting? In the dark your vision would gradually get better and better for 30 minutes or so. If you light a flare or fire or someone shines a light in your face you have to re-adjust to the darkness again.

The ArmA 2 engine does cover eye adapting. Stare at the sun then look away, you will not be able to make out detail for several seconds.

Also all you thinking that it's DayZ making the nights so dark are only the iteybityiest right. The only thing this mod did was turn of all the street lights and house lights because there is no power now. All of you that think it's to dark and not realistic probably do live to close to a town with any number of street lights (Light pollution anyone?).

TL DR: Not the mods fault you can't see, nothing they can do or probably want to do about it. But there is an honest problem with most peoples settings being to dark and you do need to turn it up.

as soon as my server host gets the new server in, it will be running on reverse time on the east coast. soo night will be day and day will be night. Those all playing after work around 8pm east will now have morning daylight to enjoy till the early morning :D

Even during night time, there is always a slight white source of light. The moon provides the most obvious illumination, depending of course on which light. And the eyes are tenfold more sensitive to light as they are during the day. While details still need to be indistinguishable during the night (such as survivor vs zombie recognition), the landscape needs to be visible at the slightest and a the sky clearly distinct from the horizon in order to achieve the least bit of orientation.

People are right to complain about this and anyone who is implying that it is not a problem simply forgot that he turned his gamma to maximum a while back to actually allow him the play during the night.

The night is not TOO DARK but the damn horrible HUD is TOO BRIGHT.

Please, please, please let's have an option to either change the text opacity or hide it all together. The worst thing is playing in a dark room at night only to have the horrible over-bright text ruin my blissful immersion.

This is a problem, but, very soon, the moon cycle will reset to make nights brighter. Its a glitch with ambient light that I'm sure that the DAYZ devs will work on. There are some servers with backward timezones that allow you to play in the daytime when its evening. One of these is NYC 8.

Night time is so much fun. I shot in the direction of some guy running around the open with a flashlight active, seems like he fell in panic and Aalt-F4'd.

Sometimes, fun is what you make out of it.

And, regarding 'HUD', is there a way to switch off the general server messages locally? That spam becomes immersion destructing.

I like the night dark. Pitch black however is another story. On a rainy cloudy i get that its ridiculously dark, but even with a tiny moon and all the stars, its still dark as can be.

FWIW, even the brightness and gamma increase isnt really that much of an advantage. Maybe if you are in a town but in the woods...forget about any sort of stealthy navigation. Id rather crouch around the map in the daylight than to have to pop flares in the pitch black. We arent spelunking here, were traveling, in some cases, in wide open fields...there should be some ambient light.

It is an anti-game, as they say.

I love it.

But, it's actually darn realistic. In the army when I was, patrolling the camp, on an overacast moonless night - the same shitless shitty black is what I saw.

That's why I love arma. It makes you suffer as much as real life!

It is an anti-game' date=' as they say.

I love it.

But, it's actually darn realistic. In the army when I was, patrolling the camp, on an overacast moonless night - the same shitless shitty black is what I saw.

That's why I love arma. It makes you suffer as much as real life!

[/quote']

Except in real life you don't have ultra-bright white server text spamming your lower left eyeball =)

But' date=' it's actually darn realistic. In the army when I was, patrolling the camp, on an overacast moonless night - the same shitless shitty black is what I saw.

[/quote']

i live in the country and decided to get some proof of my opinion, so i walked outside on an overcast night, no moon, and i could see ar better than this game's night time. I'm surrounded by woods and trees too. but i could still navigate and see a good 5-10 feet in front of me without a problem

hi sry for bad anglish very

not my main

language

plz make daytime briter

ty

But' date=' it's actually darn realistic. In the army when I was, patrolling the camp, on an overacast moonless night - the same shitless shitty black is what I saw.

[/quote']

i live in the country and decided to get some proof of my opinion, so i walked outside on an overcast night, no moon, and i could see ar better than this game's night time. I'm surrounded by woods and trees too. but i could still navigate and see a good 5-10 feet in front of me without a problem

Unless your country has a country wide blackout, you will still have a lot of light pollution.

Look it up, it should be known, because it sucks.

not in the country man, theres no light polution where there are no lights

light pollution isn't like smog or some other type of polution, it doesn't drift through the air, if there are no lights there is no light pollution

on another note, it'll be funny when the new moon phase ends and the nights get naturally brighter, and the same people defending the darkness will be here complaining about how its not dark enough and not realistic

altho with all those being said, a person's nightvision does varry from person to person. I have blue eyes which supposedly see alot better at night, so i suppose it is possible some people are that blind at night

On overcast nights, while the clouds covers the star light, which isn't strong enough to affect your sight anyways, clouds are really good at reflecting light from towns beyond the horizon.

We had a guy run into three rows of nato wire on such a pitch black night, untangling him only with only G-shock watches as light was something of an experience.

I remember this one time I was on patrol and fell into a ditch 2 m deep, although I was progressing really slowly.

The only thing I could see was movement - the ditch was not dancing about so that might have helped him score.

But yea, in that sense the really dark night in the woods is different, because standing still I can see really just sensor noise and a vagely distinguishable sky, but when I'm moving the space lets outs its shapes and shadows dance about and so I get some sense of the surroundings.

I think I am gonna go to the woods the next time it's overcast and moonless ... got me damn curious now, have to retest.

It is fucking dark as shit when there is no moon btw, maybe not this dark but honest to god you cannot see fucking shit up north when it is cloudy.

Source: Many fishing trips