Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

I sorta agree. It IS REALLY dark in this game, but imagine being in the middle of the woods with no lights for miles. It'll be muthafriken dark.

If possible, the brightness during night should at least be increased by 5-10%.

That is my opinion

The metric is pretty straight forward.

If queues remain high and wait time is longest on servers during their 'day time' hours whilst central database load remains constant throughout the period (accounting for source IP time skew) people are following daylight.

It's not difficult.

Posters opinions (being in the extreme minority) as screaming as they can be are utterly irrelevant.

Source IP's are easily graphed and if 'day time' machines are being disproportionately fucked they're disproportionately fucked.

If there are two major factors involved in primary connection choice. (game time, ping time) and people are trading ping time for apparent game time then there is a concrete reason for them to do so.

Simple.

I'm willing to bet that people who say (in this thread) that the night is perfectly fine the way it is, are using either NVG's or the gamma trick.

I'm fine either way, make it brighter or don't, the gamma trick works fine so far so I don't really care. Would be nice if I had some colors on the screen at night though.

Now that I think of it, the maxed gamma+HDR has pretty much the amount of darkness I'd like there to be, maybe around 10-20% darker than that. Because then there's light enough to move and see near you (meaning like 10 meters and a bit blurry), but still dark enough that you need some kind of light source to see farther and clearer.

I am sorry hatesauce but I played last night for about 4 hours in the dark using chemlights/flares and I aggroed not a single zed, my partner was using chemlights/flares as well and he aggroed no zeds. I don't believe your statement about attracting zeds from miles is accurate.. you still need to move silently even if it is dark :)

Picture this scene...

It's pitch black, you have a road flare though your not using it and don't want to risk it, zombies are near by, some how you disturb them as you hear them getting cranky. If you can't see anything because it's pitch black...

HOW THE HELL does a zombie who's a re-animated corpse home in like a missile...seriously...they're dead, they can't have 20/20 perfect built in night vision...

And if you're crouched and walking, not sprinting, not crouch running...just standing still yet you've aggroed the zombies...they home in like a missile and you're screwed...

I've made them mistake only once at night.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but BI put a visual effects module in the game that adjusts night time to look more natural.

The problem - I'm sure - is syncing that with 50p multiplayer and a 24h day/night cycle without making daytime look like equal shit.

To add to OP,

fact that all the VA -5 servers past 5pm are EMPTY or only filled with AFKs....

Then you look at any VA +4 server and they are filled to the max all night....

Or any UK server is maxed...

Facts are there to show people HATE nighttime, and I for on can't stand it. And I for one also can't STAND ADMINS WHO DON"T NAME THEIR SERVER WITH TIMEZONES!!!

Yes that is every other server expect the VA ones, but then it turns into a guessing match to get in a day server if you give up on UKs or VA+4s.

Nighttime is as dark as this forums background ffs

Okay then. As a game mechanic night should be harder. You shouldn't be able to run around at night without a light source. If you can' date=' it's essentially no different than daytime. Does that satisfy you as a viable reason?

[/quote']

There's still a difference, it's harder to see, easier to stealth. I'm not going to use flares and flashlights so I can broadcast my location to every other player on the server, I'm going to do what every other player in the game does right now, switch servers and add stress to the central login servers. Every god damn day you can see the login servers lag to shit around evening time when everyone is swapping servers.

I am sorry hatesauce but I played last night for about 4 hours in the dark using chemlights/flares and I aggroed not a single zed' date=' my partner was using chemlights/flares as well and he aggroed no zeds. I don't believe your statement about attracting zeds from miles is accurate.. you still need to move silently even if it is dark :)

[/quote']

I bet you were no where near a main town. What did you do in the dark when there is no loot and no Zeds or players around?

Sounds so amazingly fun I might try it. Basically you just sat and did nothing by the sounds of it.

I'd like to know where you came up with the "numbers" that majority does not like night and only few ppl likes it. And I think rocket made this mod' date=' not to the big majority of the ppl ( there are plenty games for that allrdy). I rly dont understand why is it that hard to use flares and chemlights.

[/quote']

numbers come from the fact that servers that are having their night cycle typically are less than 50% full. hence more than half. this completly discounts that while the servers are at daytime, they are completly full, and empty slots get snatched up almoast instantly, so the number is a good deal more than 50%, but since it can't be measured theres no need to go into it.

bottom line, servers clearing out to 20 and under players at night time says the majority of players don't like the dark. its really not rocket science

I think the night darkness is just fine' date=' this was the 3rd time I've ever played the game and this is how my first night went down, enjoy: http://www.twitch.tv/cdnthe3rd/b/319082376

[/quote']

Now go do that solo and with out a flashlight 50% of the time and report back, and see if a bandit takes off your head next time with all those flares.

+1 vote for lighting up the night somehow.

If I have to wreak havoc on my display settings to be competitive (aka able to survive) at night I'll just gamble with lag on EU servers where there aren't as many bandits anyway. It's like playing a game where you can turn off foliage to expose snipers, the realism is betrayed by the game options. NVG should also be removed, there is no equivalent mechanic (vision vs. no vision) during daytime and so further lowers the incentive for playing on a night server.

The fact is plain and simple: Nights at country side aren't that dark.

It needs to be dark enough to ocult some dangers, but with some visibility.

Wait 3 days people. That is all...

I'm just going to provide some feedback based on certain perspectives:

Player standpoint

---

1. New players will most likely not start on a nighttime server when they know they can, just as easily, play on a daytime server.

2. New players are forced to use flares, which we all know are essentially beacons of death, whereas they can avoid doing that by playing on a daytime server until they acquire chemlights/flashlights/NVGs.

3. Anyone with NVGs will dominate other players at night, which players can avoid by playing in daytime servers.

4. "Just about everything regarding nighttime gameplay deincentivizes players that aren't properly prepared for it, so why bother with them?"

Technical standpoint

---

1. Players are currently attracted to any and all servers that are currently providing daylight, which puts excessive strain on select servers.

2. Players will join overseas servers to play on daytime servers regardless of an elevated ping.

Comments

---

If the endgame result was to be close to real life, the mechanics that DayZ displays at its current state would be pretty unforgiving as it should be. Life is hard, and DayZ is portraying it accurately.

However, DayZ is primarily a survival horror MMO game. Not only that, but it also has PvP combat. As such, sometimes you have to pull back the realism factor in the interest of fairness and overall gameplay. As it stands right now, nighttime servers offer nothing for the player (until acquiring chemlights/flashlights/NVGs) and as such you need to incentivize players who wish to participate in night-time gameplay. Some suggestions include:

1. Make DayZ consistently brighter (slightly) at night

2. Chemlights upon spawning

3. Higher chances of moonlight

4. Lower chances of rain at night

5. Higher chances of loot

Thanks for taking the time to read it (if you did).

too many people seem to be ignoring the fact that the current level of darkness isn't realistic. you can't go anywhere in the world outside of buildings/caves and find darkness as pitch black as this game.

fixing the issue would be no hit to realism, it would actually enhance it. too many people are saying they don't want to sacrifice realism, yet at the same time are arguing against making something more real. boggles the mind

3. Higher chances of moonlight

The moon follows the lunar cycle. In 3 days you will have 24 hours of almost daylight.

I personally enjoy the nighttime/darkness. The preview videos I saw of nighttime prior to playing was one of the reasons why I decided to get this game.

I guesss if the darkness in this mod isn't realistic enough for you or fun enough. Then there's always other games that do have a more realistic and fun night maps to play on or you could always hold your breath for this to hit your favorite console.

Flashlight?

Yeah, right, try to find one of those as a brand new player to the ArmA II gaming engine + this mod + the darkness using a road flare and that person will learn, that after several frustrating deaths / re-spawns, day time servers are better for the steep learning curve.

Plus Zombies at night are like homing missiles. How they can see you if you can't see them is beyond me. OK, they can hear you that surely doesn't mean they can pin point you exactly and chase you down unforgivably even if you sprint in any direction.

Players start with a wind up torch?

It is not even close to the same game at night. I appreciate both day and night play but the last update forces me to play at night due to time zone. Where did all the daylight servers go?

i want to be able to at least see my chracter in 3rd with out having to light up 1 mile worth of area and giving away my position to every bandit that wants to muder me.

Wait...what? You want to be able to see your character in 3rd person at night? I think that says all that needs to be said on that topic.

Flare use should be used to light up areas that i would like to see before heading into the area.

And chemlights are used to light up a small area immediately around you. Once again' date=' the problem is solved.

[hr']

Light a flare or chemlight' date=' EVEN in doors = every Zed in a mile radius sprints at you like bats out of hell and you die.

[/quote']

Also flares and chem lights are easy to use. But its annoying that i have to become this large glowing becoan to even see a few feet in front of me. Im not asking to see miles down the road.

Both of these statements are false. If you use chemlights' date=' particularly red ones, you are not visible more than a few feet -- by players or zombies. This is exactly the feature you say you want -- brighter nights without being overly visible to others. I don't even understand why this is even a discussion. If you have some phobia of chemlights, turn up your gamma.

[hr']

The metric is pretty straight forward.

If queues remain high and wait time is longest on servers during their 'day time' hours whilst central database load remains constant throughout the period (accounting for source IP time skew) people are following daylight.

It's not difficult.

You logic :

1. Night is harder

2. Because night is harder' date=' fewer people play at night

3. Since fewer people play at night, night should be easier so more of us can play at night

Shouldn't night be harder than day? What about the core players who _are_ playing at night and like the added difficulty?

[hr']

I'm willing to bet that people who say (in this thread) that the night is perfectly fine the way it is' date=' are using either NVG's or the gamma trick.

[/quote']

I don't know about the majority here, but I have yet to find NVGs nor do I turn up the gamma. For me, the thrill is knowing the tradeoffs I have to make at night -- try to navigate along the beach, where it's easier to see at night, or use a chemlight and skulk among the trees.