Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Realism is a part of the vision of the creator. It's what he wants it to be. People that turn their nose up at realism shouldn't be playing games that are designed with ultra realism in mind. It's that simple.

The reason people say 'go back to X' is because that game caters for what you seem to want. Where as this game does not' date=' rather than change a game away from what it wants to be that suits you, instead play a game that does suit you.

[/quote']

Yeah! Realism is the point! That's why we can gut and butcher an animal in a field with only a knife in around 6 seconds....

And why we can use a book of matches to start a fire, but not a road flare.

And why we can gulp down 5 cans of baked beans, 5 cooked steaks, and 4 cans of pepsi in minutes without puking our guts up.

And why we can easily stuff the main rotor assembly for a helicopter into our backpacks.

And why we can only hold a flashlight or a pistol, but not both at the same time.

And why we can't find firewood in a forest.

And why we can chat in general and the rest of the world can see it.

And most of all it's why we get to respawn after we die.

.. Cause that's how it would work in real life!

Some servers have started to reverse the time so that way when it's night time were the server is its rally day time. Hope that helped an made some sense.

LoL, thanks.

That would explain why all the UK servers are playing a night time game.

I guess I will have to wait until tonight to play in the day.

Oh look it's the daily "OMG IT'S TOO DARK/IT RAINS ALL THE TIME I GOTTA PLAY ON ANOTHER SERVER!" thread.

Use a flare, chemlight or a flashlight.

Realism is not the aim, authenticity is.

The mod is about feeling shit.

Shit like fear, hunger, thirst, desperation, hate, jealousy, greed, superiority, kindness, homicidal, helpsome, helpless and blind at night.

If you don't like the whole hardship, emotional experience, maybe something more RAWR RAWR WUB WUB BOOM oriented would fit you better.

My thoughts on this topic:

Don't change the day/night cycle.

Don't change how dark it is at night.

Do give every player a torch as part of their standard kit.

Consider additional game play mechanics that slightly alter how we approach the game at night.

Zombies make more noise at night

Zombies eyes glow slightly at night

Both of these night time specific features would help players determine zombie numbers and position with the possibility of also adding more tension.

Realism is a part of the vision of the creator. It's what he wants it to be. People that turn their nose up at realism shouldn't be playing games that are designed with ultra realism in mind. It's that simple.

The reason people say 'go back to X' is because that game caters for what you seem to want. Where as this game does not' date=' rather than change a game away from what it wants to be that suits you, instead play a game that does suit you.

[/quote']

Yeah! Realism is the point! That's why we can gut and butcher an animal in a field with only a knife in around 6 seconds....

And why we can use a book of matches to start a fire, but not a road flare.

And why we can gulp down 5 cans of baked beans, 5 cooked steaks, and 4 cans of pepsi in minutes without puking our guts up.

And why we can easily stuff the main rotor assembly for a helicopter into our backpacks.

And why we can only hold a flashlight or a pistol, but not both at the same time.

And why we can't find firewood in a forest.

And why we can chat in general and the rest of the world can see it.

And most of all it's why we get to respawn after we die.

.. Cause that's how it would work in real life!

And that's why you're here. Not to have fun and play the game, but to alpha test a mod that needs work doing to it. So that some of the things on that list can be changed and implemented.

Night time isn't one of them, as it's intended.

Night is awesome, the balance of safety vs danger in the dark makes it sooo tense.

I'm all for the darkness at night, but I can't play on EU servers due to it being so dark and not having the correct equipment to survive. Saying that the darkness is realistic and should be kept but then altering your game settings to be able to see is not.

ITT: Half of the playerbase whines about how the game is too hard for them at night because they're too goddamned stupid to launch a flare into the horizon or find a chemlight.

The fact that this game has ridiculously low visibility at night is what makes it fun. Lower population makes sense at night as there would likely be people sleeping at night to avoid the darkness. Not being able to see makes sense because it's NIGHT TIME.

And yeah, I own NVGs. Rather than bitching and moaning at the people who actually function at greater than a fourth grade level, why not go find your own NVGs? It's pretty simple, let me explain:

You spawn. You use flares sparingly to find the next magical item: CHEMLIGHTS

You now have chemlights. You use them not-so-sparingly because they last a goddamn hour so you can find one of the next magical items: FLASHLIGHTS OR NVGS (the prior being much more common).

You can now function properly at night.

Also, just for the record: when someone tells you to go back to CoD/BF3, a lot of them are doing it as an insult. However, there are some people who are literally saying this because the game suits your desires and you might enjoy playing it more than Day Z.

Okay. I think that's all I wanted to say. Carry on.

/end rant

I love how difficult Day Z is.

However, the night time is just useless for those without NVGs. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, spawn in two hyper-campable barracks at the NWAF.

Flashlights work, but they don't work well. Sure, they go quite a long way... but that doesn't change the fact that the area outside that beam of light is PITCH black even on a cloudless and starry night.

Chemlights are alright, in that they allow you to see the grass below you...

Flares are idiotic, and unless you're marking a general area... you shouldn't be using them. They certainly are not for land nav unless you want to get shot.

The nights are too dark for the game and for reality. Stop hiding behind "I like the difficulty", it'll still be more difficult at night even if the nights were less-dark.

Also, bear in mind, people that want brighter nights aren't asking for easy mode... they're asking for something that's at the very least, playable.

Of course, all of this is overridden by jacking up your gamma to 2.0. Which I shouldn't have to do to have remotely realistic night-time.

All kidding aside, i feel that the rain, at its most potent, fills the screen to an ungodly amount and it is extremely hard to deceiver anything going on in game when its tied in with pitch black darkness. So for an honest opinion I think the weather effects should be toned down.

I do like the the dark though and I feel way more safe at night than during the day. Darkness at 8PM in game is a lot brighter than 3 AM. It is COMPLETELY realistic. Anybody who has seen pitch black darkness without street lights would agree with me.

I find it really fucking annoying that the night comes so early, I mean in Finland the sun sets around 11pm (even after that you can see clearly without any street lights), and yet the FI 3 server is dark by 8pm, and I mean pitch black. I think that's bullshit since I usually play games from around 6 pm to somewhere around 12pm. So I only have a few hours to play before I'm pretty much forced to switch games.

I don't really mind the dark personally since I'm always carrying a gun with a flashlight (Remington usually), but the rest of my group has AKM's and CZ550's so they all log off for the night, just when I get started.

Oh, by the way, flashlights don't increase zed aggro at all, 5 meters away proned with a flashlight? No problem. I think it's pretty balanced that way, since flashlights are soooo easy to be spotted by players and unlike chems and flares, you can't throw a flashlight on the ground so it's always showing exactly where you are. But seeing how Rocket is with de-incentivizing playing at night, I'm guessing it's gonna be changed at some point to aggro as much as flares or something.

Though I'd like the not-aggroing flashlights to stay because it allows for more tactical gameplay, with one or two players showing light to the rest of the group.

Anyways, playing alone is BS to me because I'm a team player. So easy to get onehitted to unconciousness by a zed and bleed to death. And I fucking love that because if you play alone, you have to be so goddamn careful of zombies because you have no helping hand, no backup, nothing. All it takes is one lucky zombie and your ass is zed grub. Not to even mention hostile players.

Let me preface this by stating that I grew up in rural Vermont where the closest town was 10 miles away, and lived there for 18 years. I then moved to rural Southern California for 4 years in the Marine Corps. I then moved back to rural New Hampshire, and have lived here for going on 6 years. I know a lot about vision at night, both from a casual and from a tactical perspective.

I will agree that night is way too dark in DayZ. Yes I love the simulation aspect, but the darkness in DayZ does NOT simulate night time in the countryside at all - it simulates an enclosed room with black walls. Fact of the matter is the human eye has an incredible ability to focus to account for low-light situations in anything but zero light - an ability that is NOT apparent in the game.

You guys can argue all you want that DayZ at night is fun the way it is, but that doesn't change the fact that it is completely, 100% unrealistic. I'm also inclined to believe most of you like playing at night for the simple reason that it keeps everyone but the "hardcore" players off the server, which is a very self-defeating attitude. The whole point of the game is to introduce the challenge of numerous players in the same scenario, thus excluding the majority because they can't function due to the the lack of proper lighting catering to NVG users and not to the realism aspect of the game.

I'll say this in closing - rocket should increase night-time visibility, but not to the extent that it makes NVGs pointless. I've used real NVG's in the Marine Corps, and they definitely come in handy for seeing people at distances greater than 50 meters, something one without a set has a hard time doing in any lighting but a full moon. At least give players the option to navigate at night without the need of a chemlight.

And that's why you're here. Not to have fun and play the game' date=' but to alpha test a mod that needs work doing to it. So that some of the things on that list can be changed and implemented.

Night time isn't one of them, as it's intended.

[/quote']

Bandit system was working as intended too, until Rocket decided it wasn't. Don't try to assume you know what the creator is thinking, cause honestly, he's the only one that does. Wood placement in this patch should be proof enough of that. Just hang on and go along for the ride, no need to tell people to go find another game. And my point is that "Realism" has become a scapegoat for the pretentious idea that anything hard = good. Hard only equals good if it's executed properly. So far most of the mod has been great, realistic enough to be challenging, but also abstracted properly. Then we get servers who think that nighttime needs to be darker than black. It's not the mod devs fault, it's the server, because I've been in several servers back to back that were supposedly in the same state, some with realistic night time, the others doused with ink. Only difference was the names on the dark ones said expert.

Personally, even the darkest nights aren't hurting my experience, because I don't waste time on them. I'm a very patient person, I adapt and survive. And currently with the theme of some servers artificially darkening their nights just so they can feel like they're accomplishing something, there's no reason to go fumbling around in retardedly murky servers when I can just wait for the sun.

sienihemmo,

The game is based in the Czech Republic, which is further south than Finland, therefore the number of hours of sunshine is not the same as the Finnish server location you speak of.

In Winter you will find that it stays lighter for longer that you are used to in Finland.

I should have said closer to the equator than further south. :P

I'll say this in closing - rocket should increase night-time visibility' date=' but not to the extent that it makes NVGs pointless. I've used real NVG's in the Marine Corps, and they definitely come in handy for seeing people at distances greater than 50 meters, something one without a set has a hard time doing in any lighting but a full moon. At least give players the option to navigate at night without the need of a chemlight.

[/quote']

This has got me reading up a bit about NV.

I find it interesting how in very low light they can compensate by shooting out IR light.

..if only zombies were attracted to IR :D

I agree that it should be brighter, not a lot brighter, just enough so that we can tell the sky from the ground. Like the guy in the op said, even in the country, it is not that dark, so if it's realism the creator of the mod wants, it should be just a bit brighter..

Myself I would forget the night bit and replace it with dusk or dawn. But that is just my preference.

> And why we can gulp down 5 cans of baked beans, 5 cooked steaks, and 4 cans of pepsi in minutes without puking our guts up.

I can, you must be a metro-sexual that uses hand cream....

;)

I like the darkness. But then, I'm used to the darkness from Arma 2 anyway.

Though, I must admit...it is probably very disconcerting for a new player to come into this never having played Arma 2 and having to deal with a pitch black night.

I can see both sides of the argument. I think for the sake of everyone's sanity, the darkness should be lifted a little. For the new guys' sake at least.

Just my thoughts.

It's like people don't know about that light polution and stuff.

Some people work during the day. The game might be about a zombie apocalypse where no one has a real job' date=' but a lot of players also live in the real world where we have to work to stay alive.

Playing on a server located somewhere where it's daytime isn't a great solution - a high ping can be a major disadvantage. Australians, especially, don't get pings below 220 on foreign servers.

Edit:

Why are you posting this in the Day Z forums?

Day Z =/= Arma 2

So, you're saying that the devs don't have the ability to alter the darkness of the night? Or are you just trying to make some kind of smart comment about how native Arma 2 is also unrealistically dark on moonless nights?

I'm saying Arma 2 is the same as Arma 2 running Day Z.

I have no idea if mod developers can change the darkness.

If they could, it would probably be too bright when the moon is out.

> And why we can gulp down 5 cans of baked beans' date=' 5 cooked steaks, and 4 cans of pepsi in minutes without puking our guts up.

I can, you must be a metro-sexual that uses hand cream....

;)

[/quote']

Keep the conversation clean. Respect your fellow forum-mates. There's no need to name-call or hurl sarcastic remarks. Constructive criticism only.

sienihemmo' date='

The game is based in the Czech Republic, which is further south than Finland, therefore the number of hours of sunshine is not the same as the Finnish server location you speak of.

In Winter you will find that it stays lighter for longer that you are used to in Finland.

[hr']

I should have said closer to the equator than further south. :P

What time of the year is it ingame? If it's summer then I still think the night should be shorter. Though it might look more like fall, what with the yellow leaves and whatnot.

And I wouldn't be suprised that everywhere in the world has more light in winter than Finland. We only have like 3 hours of daylight in winter :) Well maybe not 3 hours, but thats how it feels when you spend most of the day indoors.

I think the darkness can be used as an advantage, so I would like it to remain at current levels. However, I think players should start out with flashlights instead of flares (perhaps make batteries a consumable).