Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

the buildings and cities are wide open with nothing over them and the moon and stars provide at least enough light for me to see some what around me, at this point i see nothing but a black screen. I understand it would be dark and much darker in the forest area but a large city with moon light and stars reflecting off of them with nothing towering over head would give some visabilty. It pretty clear you just like playing with a black screen which seems odd to me that anyone wants to play with a black screen.

I was in the US army and did ruck marches through the middle of forestw of North Carolina Fort Bragg with no city lights for miles i could still manage to see people in front of me an around me at no time was i ever so blind that i couldnt at least make out somethings around me.This was in the middle of a forest that is extremly dense , so much so you couldnt hardly see the sky and stars. Just not seeing the realism at this point in the game.

Blind does not equal dark.

there is so much light pollution in now a days, that "real" dark is getin kinda rare :). So obiviusly without electricity, nights would seem A LOT darker to most of the ppl at europe, noth america and asia atleast.

"The only places in continental Europe where the sky can attain its natural darkness is in northern Scandinavia and in islands far from the continent."

edit: Not saying is it a good or a bad thing, that it's so dark in the game. Just wanted to give some facts :)

the buildings and cities are wide open with nothing over them and the moon and stars provide at least enough light for me to see some what around me' date=' at this point i see nothing but a black screen. I understand it would be dark and much darker in the forest area but a large city with moon light and stars reflecting off of them with nothing towering over head would give some visabilty. It pretty clear you just like playing with a black screen which seems odd to me that anyone wants to play with a black screen.

I was in the US army and did ruck marches through the middle of forestw of North Carolina Fort Bragg with no city lights for miles i could still manage to see people in front of me an around me at no time was i ever so blind that i couldnt at least make out somethings around me.This was in the middle of a forest that is extremly dense , so much so you couldnt hardly see the sky and stars. Just not seeing the realism at this point in the game.

Blind does not equal dark.

[/quote']

there is so much light pollution in now a days' date=' that "real" dark is getin kinda rare :). So obiviusly without elecric, nights would seem A LOT darker to most of the ppl at europe, noth america and asia atleast.

"The only places in continental Europe where the sky can attain its natural darkness is in northern Scandinavia and in islands far from the continent."

edit: Not saying is it a good or a bad thing, that it's so dark in the game. Just wanted to give some facts :)

[/quote']Exactly this, light pollution has basically removed any sense of what real night is like. Anyone here ever been to Congo in Central Africa? Well I have and at night you can see nothing whether it be in a jungle or out in the savannah. There is so little light unless the moon is out and it is so sparsely spaced that light pollution does not even really exist.

Now look where this game is set, in a world that has ZERO artificial light to speak of hence zero light pollution. When the moon is not out all you can see is the contrast of objects against the night sky, highly realistic and when the moon is out you can make out shapes and small contrasts of things on the ground.

Guess what, that is how light actually functions in the real world.

the buildings and cities are wide open with nothing over them and the moon and stars provide at least enough light for me to see some what around me' date=' at this point i see nothing but a black screen.

[/quote']

In Arma 2, when the moon and stars are out it is much brighter and you can see quite well at night. However, it seems that you are describing a black moonless and cloudy night in-game, and are then arguing that the moon (which isn't present) should provide enough light for you to see.

I understand what you mean when you say that open and urban areas should reflect more light and thus be brighter than dense forest areas; but when there is no light source to begin with everywhere will be pretty damn dark.

Also, the fog that is always hanging around Chernarus would contribute to the lack of light.

Edit: Nya' beat me to it :P

A city beyond the horizon can reflect light from the clouds to create enough visibility to navigate at night, but in Chernorus there is no working powerplants or lit up cities. The only natural light you can rely on is the moon and the moon is not a static object on the night sky.

I like the night just not the 8/12 hours of it thats pitch black.

Bingo! No need to change anything else but the stupid real-time. Bonus: Dayz will be played by a new group of ppl: Non-unemployed adults.

there is so much light pollution in now a days' date=' that "real" dark is getin kinda rare :). So obiviusly without electricity, nights would seem A LOT darker to most of the ppl at europe, noth america and asia atleast.

[/quote']

Funny thing: ive been up hiking in the northern scandinavian mountains more than once, and i can tell you its plenty bright there even when the moon isnt out.

On a really cloudy night, with no moon or stars, it can get pretty dark, but never so dark that i cant even see where im putting my foot on the ground...

(and on a full moon night with no clouds, its almost as bright as day sometimes... or at least it feels like it when your eyes ajust)

I don't really understand the realistic argument here. There are plenty of examples of non-realistic elements of this mod that are there to enhance or are contrained by gameplay.

I'm not asking for 20/20 vision at night here, just the light tweaked slightly higher. Right now unless I pop a flare and ask to be sniped in the head or swarmed by zeds; I can't play it and enjoy it.

Well in any case no one well really see eye to eye on this. For me no matter the night time its 100% black to were i can only see the stars in the sky it is no different then if i were to just close my eyes. In the end its still a video game and playing a game with a pitch black screen is just dumb. Id have to say most people agree with that , lots of people talk about it and lots of people server hop to aviod the dark night and some servers change the time zone for that server that alone has to say somthing. while i do agree night should be dark and hard to seen anything to far away, the way the game is built right now i may as well turn my monitior off as it looks the same. Only way i can change that is to change gamma to play black and white, which is another thing alot of people do, which should tell you what they think of night time.

I don't really understand the realistic argument here. There are plenty of examples of non-realistic elements of this mod that are there to enhance or are contrained by gameplay.

I'm not asking for 20/20 vision at night here' date=' just the light tweaked slightly higher. Right now unless I pop a flare and ask to be sniped in the head or swarmed by zeds; I can't play it and enjoy it.

[/quote']

If DayZ nights was just about making the screen black and white, we might as well remove chemlights, road flares and flashlights from the game too. The night is not pitch black all the time, only when the Moon hasn't risen and can't reflect sun light down on the dark side of Earth.

Imagie US nights without working powerplants:

2zs0f9y.jpg

I suppose another reason for it being so dark is that it forces people to use the light sources available in game. When the moon is out there is no use for flares/chemlights/torches except for signalling people. On such nights even NV can get a bit annoying and it narrows your FOV.

The only downside is that some (most? idk I don't do it) people up the gamma I guess.

So pretty much at night people who up the gamma or people with NVGS are at a much more advantage then people without that. So i must play the game in black in white gamma mode to be able to see anything like some of the other people who run around with it like that who just love to shoot me a the while i have to look at a black screen or run around with a giant glowing stick or flare in my hand saying shoot me im right here.

It would seem much better if 5 meters in front of me i could see ok and make out who is around me and then every 5 meters or so it gets slighly darker till around maybe 50 meters it starts to get to dark to see. at which point i could throw some flares and see what is beyond my vision if i feel the need to. But right no on my screen at least all i can see if pitch black and i cant even see my own chracter when in 3rd person mode or the gun in my own hand. Like i said before if its like this i may as well be playing the game with my eyes closed or the monitior turned off.

I really don't see any point when people from Europe come home from work wanting to play the game and after about an hour it is starting to get darker (about 7:20pm server time you can hardly see surroundings). Let's be honest - most of the people prefer to see where they are going and what threats are around them.

So they leave their servers with low ping and trying to enter US servers.

What do we get? Almost empty servers in Europe and lagging/falling server in US region.

If night will be not so dark and people will be able to see zeds\other players at least from 40 meters they will mostly stay at their servers. And I mean they must be able to see surroundings near them from the start at least outdoors. And if they want to see targets from far distance or indoors they have to look for night goggles or flashlight or throw flare.

Also I don't see much reason in 24 hours day cycle. It would be much better if player will be able to see day, sunset, night, sunrise all of these in single few hours game session. Or at least it may be like, for example, today when I come home from work I'll play at night and tommorow at the same time at the same server it will be day. I think you have to experiment with day length. You can see how Mortal Online deals with it. I really like their day/night cycle.

In general, I think it's too dark night is responsible for the ever-overloaded servers. Solving this problem you will avoid the risk that players will just get tired every night looking for a new free server, watching at the "Waiting server response..." and then connect again and again all around. And not the fact that the server does not fall after 5 minutes due to congestion. If people are distributed across the servers in their own time zone, it is obvious that the load on the servers will decrease by half, and all will just benefit from that.

Anyway thank you for the great mod! =)

So pretty much at night people who up the gamma or people with NVGS are at a much more advantage then people without that. So i must play the game in black in white gamma mode to be able to see anything like some of the other people who run around with it like that who just love to shoot me a the while i have to look at a black screen or run around with a giant glowing stick or flare in my hand saying shoot me im right here.

At the moment' date=' yes :P. I don't necessarily think its fair or enjoyable to be pursued by someone who can see in the dark while you can't, but I can deal with the unfair advantage that NV brings.

I hate, on the other hand, exploiting the gamma levels. assholes....

Just think of it as a challenge. I've somehow manged to survive for over a month with only a flashlight and a rangefinder in the pitch black. :P

And imagine if they ever implement spotlight mounted cars and helicopters how much fun it would be trying to outrun and hide from one in the dark as it hunted you.

1. Open Editor

2. Set date to September and time to 03:00

3. Press preview

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

I also think NVG are just part of the game and im ok with, but for me to be able to see at all i need to turn gamma up which is dumb to play a black and white game. I would rather just play ok a euro server at this point. dark should be very ill agree to that but wont i agree to is just being compeltly blind, its just that dark. I mean i should at least be able to see my own chracter and the gun im holding.

1. Open Editor

2. Set date to September and time to 03:00

3. Press preview

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

Not really seeing what your tyring to do here, the game runs off the time of the server not my computer. So i dont see how changing the time at my end would have any effect on the server im playing on.

I do not understand this, it does get this dark in real life, try leaving your street lit town for once and go 5 or 6 miles into the woods on a cloudy night, then see how far you can see without a torch.. generally with no moon and tree cover you'll struggle to see your hand in front of your face..

to add to this, NVGs do spawn in game, players just need to put the effort in to go and actually find them.

I do not understand this' date=' it does get this dark in real life, try leaving your street lit town for once and go 5 or 6 miles into the woods on a cloudy night, then see how far you can see without a torch.. generally with no moon and tree cover you'll struggle to see your hand in front of your face..

to add to this, NVGs do spawn in game, players just need to put the effort in to go and actually find them.

[/quote']

Yeah, add to this that Chemlights and flares are SO EASY to find, throw 1 flare, and you can find 20 more. OFC NVG's give huge advatage to ppl who has them, but thats the point of it :D.

And: barmalei No1 is forcing servers to run in "real" time, they can be set to inverse daytime if the ppl renting the servers / server hoster's want to. (as long as they dont change the time)

So they leave their servers with low ping and trying to enter US servers.

What do we get? Almost empty servers in Europe and lagging/falling server in US region.

Yes' date=' thats a fact. I ruins the game for many ppl.

Also I don't see much reason in 24 hours day cycle. It would be much better if player will be able to see day, sunset, night, sunrise all of these in single few hours game session.

I agree.

Everything we see is cheats (gamma setting, server in wrong timezone, etc.) or server-hopping (bad ping).

The real-time thing was a nice idea, but its a big FAIL.

I've been hiking in the middle of the forest with the army many times never did I lose track of my own hands in front of me or even the person 5-10 feet away. I've been to Iraq an have seen pitch black with zero lights on for many miles an guess what I could still see my own hands and the people around me I could even make out the humvees and other trucks down the street. I could see the the outlines of buildings etc could I see fine details of any of that no but I could still see what was around me and still make out what was down the road from me just from the shouilites of things. Also it's a video game not real life yes blah blah it's a realism mod. But in reality this game is far from it, I don't get hungry to death every few hours, I don't need water every few hours I also don't lose tempuartue so fast just be being rained on for a few mins to the point of death and hypnotherapy and also not many people could run non stop for many many miles without having to stop an take a break for a few hours. An to top it all of if this was real not many people would move around at night anyway thus making the games own idea unplayable for anyone playing at night. While yes we want some realism at the same time we need to rember it's a video game that has many non real things happening.

While yes we want some realism at the same time we need to rember it's a video game that has many non real things happening.

... like zombies...

My group of 8 people with 15 tents and a fleet of 5 cars are active heavily during night to pull off night OPS on areas. You are just bad at this game OP haha.

im sure this has been pointed out, but your easiest solution is to switch between EU/US servers to catch daylight. The ping really makes no difference whatsoever, unless youre on a 56k modem.

Also it's a video game not real life yes blah blah it's a realism mod. But in reality this game is far from it' date=' I don't get hungry to death every few hours, I don't need water every few hours I also don't lose tempuartue so fast just be being rained on for a few mins to the point of death and hypnotherapy and also not many people could run non stop for many many miles without having to stop an take a break for a few hours. An to top it all of if this was real not many people would move around at night anyway thus making the games own idea unplayable for anyone playing at night. While yes we want some realism at the same time we need to rember it's a video game that has many non real things happening.

[/quote']

very well said