Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Srsly Weak Thread / Concept.

power grid feature/idea is its one saving grace.

But srsly, make the nighttime brighter? Wtf is wrong with you people...

I vote NO x 1000 because nighttime seperates the nabs from the people who actually -have a clue-

and i'd bet all my beans that these people bitching are the same 'pros' running around in groups with the point man carrying a flare.

People are complaining about the rain too?

/facepalm.

People could use teamwork, have one guy higher up in an observation position (under a tree, better visibility) guiding others..

But instead its easier to leave the server or better yet, cry and try to get the game fixed on forums.

..some way along the road something happened to you people.

So here's what it comes down to - people want realism in the aspects of the mod they enjoy.

The night is way too dark to be even close to reality, with a couple years of combat patrols under my belt I can tell you that yes, it does get that dark, but very rarely, and not every single night.

The night needs to be brightened *somewhat* we're not talking about turning it into a darker version of day, just being able to see silhouettes instead of nothing [without gamma/brightness jacking - ie, using same settings as daytime].

But if we're going for realism with the night and day cycle, what about the rest of the game? Why am I drinking and eating every 15-30 minutes?

I get an average play time of say, 2 hours a day max during the week, 6 hours on the weekends. If the average person eats 3 meals a day, and ingame you have to eat every 30 minutes... well you get where this is going.

I use HDR and gamma boosting at night and I find it really fun 1) it's still a completely different game. 2) It helps in the open but in buildings and forests it's still too dark to see and you have to use flares - which is - realistic.

I've always said night time should be an impairment, not a blanket of darkness.

You guys do know that you spawn with flares and they can even be picked up and carried around for a good while before they burn out

You guys do know that you spawn with flares and they can even be picked up and carried around for a good while before they burn out

No, no one knew that, holy shit Nikomof - you have solved a problem that created a 28 page forum discussion. Everyone - the problem about night being too dark is over - WE HAVE FLARES

Maybe some of us don't want to be a big bright target :dodgy:

Going to repost what i said in another thread on this subject:

I also come from the middle of nowhere in the countryside and agree with the others, night times arent really this dark since your eyes adapt to darkness. I know there is eye adaptation in the game so if it were possible to fiddle with the settings to allow it so after a while in the dark the hdr adapts allowing you to see more.

at the same time this would also mean if you carry a flare you will have to adapt all over again once it goes out, adding a new dynamic to the game as people who havent been using flares will have a slight advantage over you for a short time. then again someone using a torch could easily also blind/disorientate someone whos adapted to darkness.

more info for those who are unaware of what eye adaptation is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_%28eye%29

this is why in ideal conditions you are able to see a candle from about 3 and a half miles away.

I know rocket is making this mod as an experiment or anti-game so its unlikly this will be changed, however as someone who works in the industry in lighting, it'd be nice to be able to see realistically like you can at night (unless i have an owls eyes or something IRL)

Zeek' date=' I think you missed the point of his satire...

[/quote']

At this point I can't tell if people are being sarcastic or are just genuinely retarded.

Going to repost what i said in another thread on this subject

I know rocket is making this mod as an experiment or anti-game so its unlikly this will be changed' date=' however as someone who works in the industry in lighting, it'd be nice to be able to see realistically like you can at night (unless i have an owls eyes or something IRL)

you should ask bis for that. not rocket. there is eye adaptation in arma but it's not flawless.

i guess you clearly can't see a difference between addon, or as you call it "mod", and the base game.

I find it very suspicious that some people only have 1 post, and it's just to verify that they enjoy the nighttime and the rest of us need to just deal with it, or adjust our gamma settings. o.0

That being said, I'd like to flip the trend. This is my first post, and I support making nights lighter.

if a zombie is an inch from my face attacking me' date=' i should be able to make the thing out from the trees on the horizon. just sayin

[/quote']

Why? Why should you be able to see anything if you don't bother to use one of the many sources of light that are available?

So here's what it comes down to - people want realism in the aspects of the mod they enjoy.

The night is way too dark to be even close to reality' date=' with a couple years of combat patrols under my belt I can tell you that yes, it does get that dark, but very rarely, and not every single night.

The night needs to be brightened *somewhat* we're not talking about turning it into a darker version of day, just being able to see silhouettes instead of nothing [without gamma/brightness jacking - ie, using same settings as daytime'].

But if we're going for realism with the night and day cycle, what about the rest of the game? Why am I drinking and eating every 15-30 minutes?

I get an average play time of say, 2 hours a day max during the week, 6 hours on the weekends. If the average person eats 3 meals a day, and ingame you have to eat every 30 minutes... well you get where this is going.

I use HDR and gamma boosting at night and I find it really fun 1) it's still a completely different game. 2) It helps in the open but in buildings and forests it's still too dark to see and you have to use flares - which is - realistic.

I've always said night time should be an impairment, not a blanket of darkness.

Yes the game is not 100% realistic, that's why you need to eat and drink that often. But what game is? It would be pretty difficult to make a game/mod that's 100% realistic. You can fly a chopper in this game. I bet none of us (or probably almost none of us) could fly a Huey in this game if it really was made realistic. So let's just stay with the night is too dark discussion.

The problem with your suggestion here

The night needs to be brightened *somewhat* we're not talking about turning it into a darker version of day' date=' just being able to see silhouettes instead of nothing [without gamma/brightness jacking - ie, using same settings as daytime'].

is that people will still use gamma and brightness tweaks and with your fix and their tweaks they will be able to see almost as good as in daylight. If you could set it server-side like the draw distance, then it would be a better idea. But even then, people can tweak monitor and driver settings to make the game brighter.

It needs to be a little brighter, i used to live in the countryside with very very little light pollution and i had no problem navigating woods when walking my dog. Yes, there were dark nights, but they didnt happen more than once or twice a month, even with cloud cover.

Rocket, is it possible to implement some sort of proximity effect on players? so they could see through the murk up to say...20-30 yards? but this would only be visible to them. That way you could solve the issue and not make it exploitable with the gamma/hdr 'fix'. Cus to be honest, having to tweak my graphics settings on nvidia control panel is getting tiresome (i play on a Sony Bravia which has that True Black bollocks, so the dark nights for me on Arma2 are literally pitch black, flares dont even help much unless i carry them around)

(and no, im not going to use flares, only idiots use flares in any capacity, if i wanted to get shot, id stand on the roof of the hospital in Cherno during the day time advertising my location in chat. It would be a far more hilarious way to go out than getting shot in the ass, in the woods in the dark.)

Heh, people always say that like it's SOOO safe to do. Right. I know bandits totally love it when you do it, no question there. :rolleyes:

Maybe I've just had terrible luck and all, but almost every time I try to walk around at night with a flare in-hand, or even toss a few around so I can see to scavenge, I get shot at and usually killed, if I don't just abandon my plan and run for the woods, since once I back away from the flares to take cover from the gunfire I can't see a thing--yet somehow they always can. Often it's the same with carrying around chem lights. It's all actually very risky to do at night, yet, is really sometimes the only thing you CAN do (even with my gamma/brightness/HDR all at full it's still a challenge to see much).

I wish it were lightened overall just a little bit. As it stands, at least until my friends and I aren't such noobs and can handle ourselves better, we just migrate to daytime servers where we can actually see the game we're playing. We're weird like that. Dark is one thing, but ArmA II dark is like playing in a black hole, where all the light gets swallowed up and ceases to even exist!

I'm new to this game, and had some problems getting it working, and logging in, but I finally fixed all my problems last night and logged into some servers.

Problem is, when I logged in, my whole screen was black. I didnt realize that it was just night-time. I just thought it was just a continuation of the problems I was having getting the game working, lol. It took me joining a couple different servers before I figured out what was going on.

Call me a noob or whatever, but I doubt I'm the only one who's had this happen to them before. The night is TOO DAMN DARK! :)

But this is just how the Arma 2 engine is right? Or is it just extra dark in DayZ?

It's funny to read, how ppl want the night's to be brighter so they could see.

Same guys REFUSE to use flares or chemlights, becouse they think they will be like insta shotted in few seconds after they throw a chemlight.

+to top this, most of the guy's who's whining the dark also says that the server's are allmost empty @ nighttimes...

so ofc the night should be brighter, becouse @ nights you will be instashotted if you use chemlight (which can be seen like 200m max, specially red ones) on a empty:ish server.

If the nights would be ANY brigter, that would make chemlights and flares totally useless, since allrdy ppl can see @ open too good with hdr/brightness/gamma settings.

tip: JUST USE chemlights (and flares if you have to), you have to be terribly unlucky to get shot. Prefer red chemlights if you are too scared.

in my opponion, flashlight should go to the another top spot (With binoculars), that should be enough since flashlight is allrdy pretty common find, but becouse it takes spot of the pistol it's not that commonly used.

and about the light pollution, it rly doesent help that you live in the country becouse the light pollution from cities goes 100km or more, SPECIALLY the cloud's reflect the light.

http://www.wtnrradio.com/images/darklights.jpg basicly if you live anywhere near to the light's there, you have light pollution.

Has anyone pointed out that the night is this video is pretty much perfect and what we want, but isn't what is represented in game?

It's un-realistic dark. Need to throw a moon up there that will rise and set so at least there is good moonlight for most of the night.

Another problem with night...

Even if you are suicidal enough to use a flashlight, they suck and are totally unrealistic.

Go grab a real flashlight and try it. You get a narrow beam. Light bounces, though, so you end up illuminating quite a wide area and not just the beam. In this game, light doesn't bounce so you illuminate NOTHING outside of the narrow beam.

Flashlights should really throw off 3 light sources to be somewhat more realistic:

* Narrow cone. Brightness 10.

* 60 degree cone around the narrow cone. Brightness 5.

* 360 degree sphere around the user. Brightness 2.

I think you'd find this to look a lot more realistic and incidentally make flashlights more useful (albeit still suicidal).

There was a note some pages back, but the extremists/complainers ignored it fully:

Realistically, unless you're in a cave, after some time in the dark your eyes will adjust.

At night there are light sources -- stars and the moon -- but because they're so far away we don't believe them to be as such. Yet they are.

If there were a "night vision" mechanic -- I'm not talking goggles -- wherein, if you stay away from light sources after a couple of minutes, over time you'll be able to see better. It won't ever be half as good as a chem light or a flare, but it would add an interesting mechanic: Shoot a gun, toss a flare, and you lose your night vision, just as you would outside right now.

If you're taking that shot, you'd BETTER make it count, or you'll immediately be blind and it's your own stupid fault. If you're using a flare, it'd BETTER be worth it, because once you leave that area you're once again as blind as a bat, and it's also still your own stupid fault.

That would also assist with those belaboring that Day Z's recent popularity has brought forth a surge of "CoD" folk (though I suspect few of them have actually played CoD or they're only capable of speaking in extremes) that're simply killing one another over and over again. Now, they'd have a hard time deciding whether or not someone's a zombie. They may take that shot, but now they're blind and if they picked wrong and there was a human nearby, that human now has the drop on them and can just walk up and execute them point blank.

It forces caution and patience, but integrating it as part of the game without heavy-handed "gaming" mechanics. In a game like this, OF COURSE there'd be issues with one's natural night vision. It'd increase the realism, allows those who work well in darkness to still do so, but doesn't prevent those more casual players from being able to enjoy the game.