Sign in to follow this  
Gareth_Sims (DayZ)

This is NOT a zombie game...

Romero isn't the only person who ever wrote about or thought about zombies.

28 days later wasn't the first fiction to feature fast zombies.

The fact that you are so engrained with the idea that everyone thinks of only two IPs when they think of zombies proves that you are either young, or didn't learn about zombies until 2004 or whenever the DOTD remake came out.

I've watched many zombie movies, some i can not remember the names of, also i have watched the original 'of the deads' yet to see the remakes.

I simply used the examples as a reference to the two different types people think about, Romero style is very heavily the biggest marker when people think of zombies, Rocket used 28 Days Later as a reference in an interview about which he preferred. Why use references of the genre from the 1930's when majority of people have only seen the more recent additions.

I'm not going to list every single different type people have come up with within the genre since the 1920's it is uneccessary.

If you want i can retract and say none of the above are correct and talk about the original 'zombie' from voodoo but that's besides the point.

Point is, the game is a zombie survival game, plenty of fiction make the breakdown of society and psychological change within humans as the survival instinct kicks in as the focal point, the zombies are the cause of it all within those but the way humans react and adapt to the sudden threat becomes the main focus of the story, in my opinion this mod follows that path, Zombies are not much of a threat while other humans are.

I'd rather not bicker, it serves no purpose, as for the concerns the op shows, i think that the zombies are as they should be, albeit glitchy, every death i've had to zombies has been while i was to busy focusing on another player being around me and not watching my back enough.

i always thought the Z in DayZ stood for zombie

I dont get difference really.

Both zombies and infected eat humans, both look disgusting, both make grunting noises. XD

Other pressing issues are on right now though.

Zombies have died and reanimated, they remain activate for years and are not very fast, infected are usually infected with bio-hazards like viruses, they are NOT dead and just as quick as humans, usually last for months without food because their organs still function(to a degree).

Seeing how Zombies aren't real (unless you take bath salts), people are allowed to have their own interpretation on how zombies react/move/etc. You need to have an open mind as zombies are only labelled as "undead". Nothing details characteristics from anywhere I've seen. Even movies, TV shows, games, all have their on version of zombies. Hell, Dead Island had fast moving zombies as did Zombieland.

You can try at a rebuttal but I doubt you'll succeed.

Zombies in the wilderness?

Sure... 20% chance 1-3 zombies spawn within 150m radius per shot fired with a scoped rifle.

There'll be zombies all over the hills in no-time.

what i mean by this is as anyone who has played this game for a bit of time knows once you get a gun or even a hatchet the "Zombies" become a non issue, you can run through cherno or elektro or anywhere for that matter with your only concern being other players, the Zeds are only a problem when you are a fresh spawn

I think you're ignoring a pretty major factor; zombies are a huge part of *PvP* as well as PvE. You could be ready to unload on a group from a concealed position, but if you have zombies near you, that becomes an issue. Also, many (maybe even most) PvP encounters start with some one killing a zed only to have a player hear the shot.

As far as zombie fixes go, it'd be nice if they ran at you like you'd expect; I'd also reeeallly like to see zombie hordes outside of cities pseudo-randomly like heli crash sites, just to add the "oh shit" factor when you aggro 40 zombies you had no idea were there. Spawning zeds only by buildings makes them a tad too predictable for my tastes.

Zombies have died and reanimated, they remain activate for years and are not very fast, infected are usually infected with bio-hazards like viruses, they are NOT dead and just as quick as humans, usually last for months without food because their organs still function(to a degree).

Ah right i forgot all that happens in this game, because its based on the real life zombie and infected time we had, right? :D

• Like 1

There needs to be either more zombies or stronger zombies. Stronger zombies would mean higher cooperation between survivors which would mean less shoot on sight mentality because zombies would be a bigger threat compared to the ax wielding survivor.

Ah right i forgot all that happens in this game, because its based on the real life zombie and infected time we had, right? :D

Zing!

• Like 1

Just stating the two most popular types of zombies in films. I'm not implying anything about real life zombies, you are.

Just stating the two most popular types of zombies in films. I'm not implying anything about real life zombies, you are.

I am not, I am stating there is no facts because its fiction (atm :o). Movie adaptations do their own thing. This game, does its own thing. Thats what I am getting at, in the end weather you say infected or zombie or monsters or mobs or enemies its all same thing end of day: something that wants your brains.

so hypothectically.. replace zombies with ....... infected chimps, i mean its not a streatch to visualize those hoppers lol, replace the skin, make the arms longer and then they can swing thru the trees ahead of you to block you off. zombie chimps? did i say zombie? no i said infected. or make them elk deer giraffes, aliens, mobile gelentous cubes ffs.

shimmering sparkle were pigs. does it still matter to the core of the game? day Z its zombies, zombies zombies. zombies are infecteds. infecteds are zombies. brains fried, rage and eating flesh or protien the most easily attainable source would be humans.

they are the risen dead, recently expired. one is enraged and infects you.; beat you to a pulp and maybe in its fever burned out short circuiting brains its primal rage and basic need to feed due to massive expended energies.....

the other is still infected and will infect you if bitten. they tend to be slower the longer they have been walking dead, but fresh ones seem to be still having the remaining synapses connected to enable the balance, i figure once the rot starts fluids fill the inner and outer ear thus making them stumble and shamble. they still have a need to eat, they will bite and beat you until your tenderized flesh is soft enough to render asunder and be shoved down a gullet, like marvel zombies a insane desire to always eat. but in marvels case eat like a boss.

so unless you are talking bout a golem, which is more reanimated clay with the blessings of god etc. or even a frankenstien which os a over charge of at the time the newly discovered electricity and its resorative properties. apply current to cadaver see cadaver twitch though its heart is stopped as you can clearly see thru the hole we made in his side.

or even the demonic fantasy zombie which is still a rotting meat bag. or the evil dead army of the reanimated dead. they are fucking zombies.

infecteds are classified as the higher brain functions are irreversibly damaged. the stupor of wandering around with a blown fuse. then the rage as something move disturbing your stupor you must destroy it so you can go back to the calm stumble about walking into walls and off cliffs etc.

its brains fried man, romero zombies brains are fried, frankenstiens brains are fried. golems have no brains mud and straw and holy relics, items, symbols.

one last thing. its a zombie game man, or else it was and now it has evolved into a bandit game with zombies as a distraction.

if the name changes to dayb with the "beta/alpha/what ever they decide to label it" or days or dayi or iday or vday or dayv for virus wouldnt surprise me. as if they aint zombies then why is it called dayz? if the man says infecteds and yet its a zombie survival sim....with infecteds then the accepted name should be zombies as obviously the man understands the difference yet still uses dayz and the term zombies. everyone elses OPINIONS mine included are moot.

zombies are infected, infected are zombies. notice the leave out of voodu zombies, as they are not actually living dead but chemically altered and convinced they have died been buried and risen from the long sleep and should now do the priests bidding. not the same genre. but shares a striking similarity to movie and book zombies, the dead and rising from it part, the fried brains from drugs and potions and poisons, just enough left in the brain pan to hear and do the most basic and simple of tasks.

so to sum it up, everyone is right and everyone wins TEH cokkie!!!11!1 now about those one hit knockout broken legs bleed out zzombies wtf i thought i was slightly faster how do they catch up and do that from behind? im running away any blow should be lessened as both objects are traveling at roughly the same speed in the same direction. oh and what ever you call them they arnt supposed to see me from behind in the dark. across the field roughly 200m away and come sprinting. totally breaks the immersion factor. that and the teleport thru walls and me and trees and then hitting from nowhere, and how almost everytime when i crouch to check a map, they spawn in packs right on top of me.....

and watching a town from the hill thru glasses and seeing nothing for 5 minutes then jogging down and 20 zombies suddenly spawn around me ....remove them and let the players have full free roam add more enterable bldgs and let peopel DM the apoc away. as the zombies as they stand are broken to what ever infected or zombie cannon ofiction known. of course if they are phantasms that are phasing thru us and the walls, then call it dayp please lol jk

I dont get difference really.

Both zombies and infected eat humans, both look disgusting, both make grunting noises. XD

Other pressing issues are on right now though.

Zombies are dead, infected are not.

Zombies are dead, infected are not.

if it walks like a zombie, and it talks like a zombie, and it smells like a zombie......

It's a survival simulator. It's Day Z, the time post-apocalypse, and is more about people trying to survive, and their interactions with others and the environment. The catalyst for the whole game world is the outbreak of something that led to the creation of zombies. The zombies are always there, but they take a background to the main events. Whether they walk, run or fly, who cares, they are just a part of the reason the whole game world exists, the rest is about survival, not killing zombies. If they were to become any more important, this would become a regular shoot-em-up zombie game. How boring.

I would consider it survival before i would consider it a zombie game and the survival aspect is a lot more fun than "zombie" games like left for dead and whatnot.

This is less an argument about zombies and infected and more about Romero purists being anal about definitions for essentially mythical creatures (bath salts, hypnotism, mental illness and voodoo notwithstanding). I'm personally up for Rocket justifying his "zombies" anyway he wants, because then that gives him creative freedom, which is far more important.

honestly dayz hasnt been a zombie game for weeks now. its fast just turning into a pvp focused fps shooter free for all played on a large map with some npc's and limited survival elements thrown into the mix.

Shambling Romero Zombies are about as scary as pissed-up, arthritic 60 year olds. Infected is where it's at.

The single best way to make this game scary is to:

A: Make Z's run straight for you and catch you in <30secs.

B: Deal damage even if you continue to run.

Otherwise just get rid of them.

I know it might get me flamed due to the apparent general feeling for the game, but I do like what L4D and to a lesser extent Killing Floor did with zombies/clots - added incapacitating elements, such as terrible movement speed when they are meleeing you. This at least makes them decently frighting in groups, as it can be hard to get them all off you before they tear you apart. I wouldn't want to see smokers and the like (although Tanks and Hunters are decently plausible), but would like to see Zeds being able to snack much more easily upon a lone survivor.

• Like 1

I know it might get me flamed due to the apparent general feeling for the game, but I do like what L4D and to a lesser extent Killing Floor did with zombies/clots - added incapacitating elements, such as terrible movement speed when they are meleeing you. This at least makes them decently frighting in groups, as it can be hard to get them all off you before they tear you apart.

This. As it is now, the zombs can pace you while sprinting, and RARELY glitch forward enough to hit you every once in awhile while sprinting, but unless it causes you to start bleeding, it doesn't matter. Why shoot the guy when you can run a few miles to the nearest barn/town and lose him? Or lose a horde of 20 for that matter?

But if he hit you once and slowed you down, simulating grabbing at you, you'd keep getting hit, actually have to fight the fucker, and if you didn't have a silenced weapon, risk drawing more in, etc... shit could get hairy quick and you'd have to think twice before dashing through Cherno on a shopping spree, scanning rooftops and windows and ignoring the horde of zombies chasing you. I do this and I know it's not what I'd be doing in a real zombie apocalypse, if my life were on the line.