Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Trade Zones

Well, in the Walking Dead graphic novel there was a prison that pretty much worked as a safe zone for a long time. There was also a small town that was walled in, so that wouldn't require a government.

I'm not playing DayZ for that long, but the PvP really gets on my nerves. There were people stupid and slow and I had to chase them to talk to them. And when they finally notice me they open fire - popular place for that is inside a church. So the churches are supposed to be PvP areas? I am mostly annoyed by the whole "making contact" part of the game; it isn't really there. I also don't know if the point should be to shoot everyone at sight. I've had far more fun playing with others than alone. Greed is how our society works. This game displays that pretty good. And it also helps foster the bad inside every one of us.

Example: I shot some guys with an enfield that had alice bags and an M4 and a Kobra + lots of stuff. I can only imagine all the shit they went through to get it and all I had to do was wait for them and ambush them. (I heard gunfire from the castle and knew they would come that way). Does that make me a hero? No - it makes me a dick. And that's what all that PvP is in my oppinion: a show of 1 inch dicks. It doesn't make for a better game and the fact that it's everywhere at the moment is just suck. I don't ask for much, but some sanctuary would be nice, imho.

Your post quite obviously shows that you are new to this game, even without "I'm not playing DayZ for that long, but the PvP really gets on my nerves."

"There were people stupid and slow and I had to chase them to talk to them."

In the end, who was actually the idiot of your story?

"Well, in the Walking Dead graphic novel there was a prison that pretty much worked as a safe zone for a long time."

How safe was it actually, can you tell us all how it really turned out to be in the end?

I'm not ok with a permanent safe-zone, something scripted in the game which restricts player actions inside that zone, just NO NO NO!

What I do like, is a possibility for players to "build" their own bunkers, fortifications etc. and then ENFORCE the rules there by themselves.

The prison was safe enough, until their rules got broken and they messed with outsiders. So was the small town, until one of the outsiders let loose a zombie girl (daughter of the town boss). But those were only examples. I never asked for a persistant zone, just tried to figure out a way how trading might work and players might do something else for a short time. Yet, you are right, I wrote that after the first day I played, because my first impression was that something was thoroughly missing. If you play too long you become accustomed to the shortcomings of a game, but since it is in Alpha and I already found out that much of the stuff players adress is in constant flux and subject to change, I am quite happy now.

By players being slow I meant, i could have shot them ten times, because they didn't see me, even when I typed in chat and was basically standing right behind them. I play very stealthy now. I have heavily armed players pass me by at close range, but I don't engage them, neither do I try to communicate. I keep myself safe without shooting others, if I can prevent it. That is - to me - the most difficult and exciting way to play this game.

Edited by S3V3N

The prison was safe enough, until their rules got broken and they messed with outsiders. So was the small town, until one of the outsiders let loose a zombie girl (daughter of the town boss). But those were only examples. I never asked for a persistant zone, just tried to figure out a way how trading might work and players might do something else for a short time. Yet, you are right, I wrote that after the first day I played, because my first impression was that something was thoroughly missing. If you play too long you become accustomed to the shortcomings of a game, but since it is in Alpha and I already found out that much of the stuff players adress is in constant flux and subject to change, I am quite happy now.

By players being slow I meant, i could have shot them ten times, because they didn't see me, even when I typed in chat and was basically standing right behind them. I play very stealthy now. I have heavily armed players pass me by at close range, but I don't engage them, neither do I try to communicate. I keep myself safe without shooting others, if I can prevent it. That is - to me - the most difficult and exciting way to play this game.

yes but the trick is creating an environment with incentives to drive the "making contact" and acting as groups, without putting in artificial mechanisms of safety.

Remember the way the prison ends up goin XD

Also if ye are up to date, read #100 last night :S