To keep impostors at bay, I envision the Regulators working in smaller cells (of friends who are already playing together) and recruiting help from people they have already played with - usually we'll be against 2-5 bandits anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to get at least the same number summoned if this thing takes off like I hope it would.

If any other vigilante groups are reading this, PM me your details - I'd love to hear your experiences and work with you!

-O

Iam new to the game but from what I've seen superior numbers will not be the only factor.

As deadly as the well organised bandits are, the solo bandits arnt push overs either, if you come strolling into a town, open area, it takes just one sniper with half a brain and a pinch of luck to take out several other highly armed players. In that regard is difficult to just form an angry survivor mob of bandit hunters in DayZ when you have cities with multiple well concealed sniper nests.

In my opinion you should go after a much narrow field of targets. Like patrol the coast line and try to find assholes camping spawn points....that would be useful!

I think its a great idea though and wish you success in this, however im not going to hesitate when observing you from my scope :)

• Like 1

*facepalm*.

This is how this scenario plays out:

Regulators: "HURR DURR LETS GO LIBERATRE ELEKTRO FROM BANDITS!"

Regulators: "LETS CHECK OUT THE FIRE HOUSE"

*AS50,DMR,M107 fire*

Regulators have been killed.

regulator respawns

Regulators: "HURR DURR LETS GO SWEEP DA FOREST FOR BANDITS NEAR ELEKTRO!"

regulator enters forests and begins sweep.

*Sniper spotter unloads SAW/Assault rifle into regulators*

Regulators have been killed.

Bandits are far more organized than any group of survivors that is not set on PvP, and those survivors that are generally KOS the first survivor they see with a gun.

You make it sound like we are a load of noobs unable to defend ourselves or think

We are not stupid and dont just charge in screaming, we are as good at you at sniping, sneaking and general combat and the only difference is that I observe to determine who is the criminal (ie guns down a survivor with no weapons) Then I will make it my mission to hunt that person down and kill them.

Unlike you, killing everything that moves just gives away your position even with a silenced weapon most good sighted survivors can spot you

This is just an attempt to dishearten us because if we did get organised, bandits would not be able to do much about an organised group of bandit hunters.

And another thing, I regularly camp on buildings and watch for people killing other players in cold blood, and keep an eye out for player spawn killers who have nothing better to do than sit with a sniper rifle on the beach killing new spawns.

Besides whos to say I dont have thermal sight?

Those woods wont cover you now will they?

We are not noobs with equipment from the stone ages, we too have access to the same crap you do, and will use it just as effectivly.

Im hardly going to be going around annoucing my presence

Edited by thelonewarrior
  • Like 5

In my opinion you should go after a much narrow field of targets. Like patrol the coast line and try to find assholes camping spawn points....that would be useful!

I think its a great idea though and wish you success in this, however im not going to hesitate when observing you from my scope :)

I wouldn't like it any other way, man - the fear of death is what keeps the game good for me :D

I know there are some badass lone wolves out there too (I've been fought a few and usually gotten my ass handed to me), but I'm also thinking that some of these elite guys are getting bored of sniping targets of low value for a can of beans and might feel it's time to try out some bigger game that has been out of reach - organized bandit clans. I really hope we get a few of these mofos to join the Regulators, because there's nothing more dangerous than an all-around lone wolf player moving in the night...so, if any of you are reading this, think about it. No need to change anything in your play style, just point the gun at people who'll put up a real fucking fight and let people know that the LAW is in town (yeah I'm being melodramatic but I just think this game needs some drama :D)

-O

• Like 3

I wouldn't like it any other way, man - the fear of death is what keeps the game good for me :D

I know there are some badass lone wolves out there too (I've been fought a few and usually gotten my ass handed to me), but I'm also thinking that some of these elite guys are getting bored of sniping targets of low value for a can of beans and might feel it's time to try out some bigger game that has been out of reach - organized bandit clans. I really hope we get a few of these mofos to join the Regulators, because there's nothing more dangerous than an all-around lone wolf player moving in the night...so, if any of you are reading this, think about it. No need to change anything in your play style, just point the gun at people who'll put up a real fucking fight and let people know that the LAW is in town (yeah I'm being melodramatic but I just think this game needs some drama :D)

-O

Aw dammit,

Where do i sign up? lol

Sounds fun.

• Like 1

Two things:

1. How many have we got so far?

2. Anyone who is a regulator want someone to play with? I just got owned by three bandits and I'm thinking that I'd rather play with other people that want to kick bandit butt. I'm no military commando, I don't have a mic, but I know the game well enough.

Edited by Brad_B

I don't think there's more than a handful of us currently (10ish) so spread the word, lead by example and stay safe - I've been playing lone wolf this week (banding up with three guys on the weekend) and just doing observation/warning and dropping food and ammo near the beach (don't know how long it stays on the ground, but people were getting iced constantly so hopefully somebody found something useful).

If you guys want, I can create a FB group to server as the member roster so you can hook up on raids there?

-O

I think you have to take it a step further and provide small safe zones. Have a fee of 2cooked meat or a STANAG round for entry into the safe zone where players can trade goods or maybe just chill for a bit. Of course the biggest issue is a defendable spot and 'regulators' will need high end gear to fend off any bandit attacks

You make it sound like we are a load of noobs unable to defend ourselves or think

We are not stupid and dont just charge in screaming, we are as good at you at sniping, sneaking and general combat and the only difference is that I observe to determine who is the criminal (ie guns down a survivor with no weapons) Then I will make it my mission to hunt that person down and kill them.

Unlike you, killing everything that moves just gives away your position even with a silenced weapon most good sighted survivors can spot you

This is just an attempt to dishearten us because if we did get organised, bandits would not be able to do much about an organised group of bandit hunters.

And another thing, I regularly camp on buildings and watch for people killing other players in cold blood, and keep an eye out for player spawn killers who have nothing better to do than sit with a sniper rifle on the beach killing new spawns.

Besides whos to say I dont have thermal sight?

Those woods wont cover you now will they?

We are not noobs with equipment from the stone ages, we too have access to the same crap you do, and will use it just as effectivly.

Im hardly going to be going around annoucing my presence

1) You're not noobs but you stand on top of rooftops of buildings? good way to catch a bullet in the head.

2) Watch for players killing other players? How often could you seriously see that happening? Usually you're lucky to just head the gun battle.

3) Very Few if any bandits *camp* the coast. If anything they would be moving along the coast between cherno and elektro.

4) Bandits dont want loot from the costal areas they're just there to kill anyone so it doesnt matter if they have an axe or not.

5) If you're just observing, then thats all your going to be doing. What fun. *yawn*.

Valid points Osirizoran, but I have to say that if you hunker down to a high-risk area and keep watching it for a while, you can start to see people getting killed fairly frequently and can usually pinpoint the killer (or at least see their lootrunner) relatively easy: I've seen many guys who get pretty sloppy when they're hunting humans - they stand up to binoc the area, fire multiple shots, have their lootrunner walk up to their position to deliver ammo (or something) and they just overall get wayyy too comfortable/careless after they've killed a few guys. There are some stunning exceptions to this as well, but in those cases I wonder why even bother wasting your .50 cals on useless targets (except maybe for target practice).

Observing might be boring and that's why I don't want to tell anybody what to do - think of taking the [Regulator] tag as a way of telling other people that you're not necessarily a threat right off the bat. The way you play the game is totally up to you: snipe, heal, observe, charge head-on - whatever tickles your fancy. Just have a point and a bigger picture guiding the decisions you make (if that makes sense).

This game has hundreds of thousands of players, so even a fraction of a percent playing with this "philosophy" is a massive force to be reckoned with. Furthermore, it'll accommodate many different play styles - the tactical guys can band up to hammer hard on bandit positions while lone wolfs can gather intel and set up resupply points for survivors.

-O

@Ratfever: I think the small number of guys we have all scattered all over the place (UK, US, Asia, Europe) so I'm trying to plant the seeds of this thinking and hope every member inspires more people to join the cause on their own region rather than running this from a centralized "Regulator HQ". Bands of RL friends make good "cells" to begin with and judging by the amount of hate these forums have for the state of the game now, the momentum will keep it going until we've made the game better for everybody.

• Like 1

Well regulating is impossible if you're alone, and spread so thin. If you do that, you'd just be random anti-bandits. I reccomend turning a server into a much more lawful place, and grouping up with your fellow regulators.

I think you have to take it a step further and provide small safe zones. Have a fee of 2cooked meat or a STANAG round for entry into the safe zone where players can trade goods or maybe just chill for a bit. Of course the biggest issue is a defendable spot and 'regulators' will need high end gear to fend off any bandit attacks

Yeah after giving a reality check to myself on the safe zones, I don't think they are a very good option actually - people can ghost in and attack them from the inside, it takes a lot of people to secure anything bigger than a farmhouse etc etc - the better approach is to give these murderers a healthy fear of repercussions - you kill people, you'll attract attention. Enough attention, you become the prey and 1) DC, 2) die 3) kill/evade your pursuers - all of which are good outcomes for any of the noobs you were targeting just earlier (and gives the Regulator soldier types a clear, good mission to execute, real milsim style), so win-win.

-O

Yeah after giving a reality check to myself on the safe zones, I don't think they are a very good option actually - people can ghost in and attack them from the inside, it takes a lot of people to secure anything bigger than a farmhouse etc etc - the better approach is to give these murderers a healthy fear of repercussions - you kill people, you'll attract attention. Enough attention, you become the prey and 1) DC, 2) die 3) kill/evade your pursuers - all of which are good outcomes for any of the noobs you were targeting just earlier (and gives the Regulator soldier types a clear, good mission to execute, real milsim style), so win-win.

-O

Not saying making a safezone, but perhaps policing a server. It may be impossible, but so is attempting to stop bandits. If it is fun you are looking for, then try that. If you spread that thin, you are just a survivor, that targets bandits, which is basically everyone. I know if I see a guy murder someone, I'll kill him. I wouldn't lose any sleep over some 10 guys with minimal communication on random servers looking for me for a murder I committed.

i remember when i spotted 3 guys in elektro, and they said STOP crouch down we will bandage you , an kill the zombies, i didnt think twice about stopping i legged it around buildings, as i was saying repeatedly "friendly" "friendly, i have no weapons do not shoot me", they caught up with me and told me to bandage my self then they shot me in the back of the head, i dont trust people who say they are the people who will help survivors i go with the experiences i've been through and stick to 'em, i would kill anyone if they decided to approach me with a weapon out

i remember when i spotted 3 guys in elektro, and they said STOP crouch down we will bandage you , an kill the zombies, i didnt think twice about stopping i legged it around buildings, as i was saying repeatedly "friendly" "friendly, i have no weapons do not shoot me", they caught up with me and told me to bandage my self then they shot me in the back of the head, i dont trust people who say they are the people who will help survivors i go with the experiences i've been through and stick to 'em, i would kill anyone if they decided to approach me with a weapon out

Yeah the lack of trust between players is the biggest issue that this game needs to overcome: I love the sense of paranoia, but there needs to be something you can trust or at least believe in without the game devs having to force faction rules etc on the community. Because I don't think it can be solved any time soon, I urge anybody trying to play a good guy to do it overtly so just to start tipping the scales a little bit towards that direction too. I don't make direct contact with people, but I use the map bug to write messages that anybody can see, global chat (if it's working) and just leaving supplies behind to places where I hope somebody can come across them (I wish this game let me leave written notes). I've interrupted a firefight by starting to pull fire towards me (not sure who started it or what it was about but as far as I know, the guys in the village got away) etc...it's all (hopefully) left at least somebody thinking "wow, that guy helped me out".

-O

I like this idea, you guys should take over the little square in electro with the hospital, office building, supermarket and corner appartment and make a little safe zone. Every time I'm over there (in the said square) I think to myself how awesome it would be if it were a safe zone lol. But it's actually one of the most violent zones I think. Everybody's always getting killed around there :(

Yeah, I wouldn't want to make bandits go away...you guys are what makes the game interesting and I hope we could all improve the immersion and feeling of the game by getting some decent opposition to y'all :D

thank you very much kind sir :) i do agree with you though, without pvp this game would be boring, but without pve'ers the game would be boring for pvp'ers muahahaha, so yeah, new targets :D

We focus on improving the community, and hunting only very well known bandit spots, an antibandit operation of this scale will only add to the problem.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable".

This quote seems to sum up my idea pretty well. By pushing these bandits back so far. They will only organise and push back harder just as we had done with this epidemic of banditry. We need to slowly improve the community, not force it to change to our liking. Give it time and more subtle operations like ours will affect the community without most bandits even noticing.

I had just PM'd the OP this. But decided I need everyone to see this in order for this message to get across.

• Like 2

It's a great point you're making Darknight, so let me respond here as well: I don't want to create a giant bandit-killing clan since that will inevitably turn into a giant bandit clan. I want the people who think the game has more depth to it than just lurking in the bushes and killing for sport join up and take part in this to prove that there can be laws (even if they are of the 'frontier justice' type) in the game. It will take time, but is instrumental in enacting the 'subtle change' you guys are looking for too.

In it's essence, this is a combat game first and foremost (at least currently), so I'm not thinking most people will find it enjoyable enough to do grass-roots good deeds all the time without much other rewards than getting shot in the head by the guy you just helped out. For this, we'll need to have roles for enforcers and those enforcers can channel their love for combat for the best possible cause: improving everybody's game (including the bandits, I'd say). I'm not great at combat, so I patrol and observe (and yak here on the forums) but always with the idea of NOT killing others and trying to prevent others from getting killed too. This all makes me sound very holier-than-thou, I know, but I find it to be the most enjoyable way to play currently.

In closing, do what you feel is best for you, but try to help rather than harm - that'd be a good credo for donning the [Regulator] tag.

-O

• Like 2

Young Guns definitely inspired the name, although you don't need to use just winchesters and revolvers :D

Fellas, take the pledge and start doing good in the wastes!

-O

Only if i can yell 'Regulators, Lets ride' before I get on my bicycle.

I'm happy with my community, but I certainly do love this concept. its a nice 'objective'

I have no intention of leaving my current community, but by all means, If you need numbers for anything, and youd let a non regulator tag along, im down (l85a2/m4sd) to fight!

for lack of anything more inspiring..

'Be the change you want to see in the world'

acting like a bandit dick just because others are, or cos you can.. thats no way to be.

• Like 1