I just have to ask: just whose law are you going to enforce? I take it you mean Your law, because I dont recall being consulted :)

Also, what constitutes the lawless (beyond the fact that you and your self-appointed law-enforcers have decided that someone is breaking the law)? Is it as simple as "anyone that shoots at one of us"?

You are not the "law" so far as I am concerned, which makes you nothing more than a potential hostile and no different from any other killer in the game.

Heh, this is not a personal attack of any kind, and I dont have any objections...it is rather an observation about the general idea of enforcing the "law" in the world of DayZ.

In an apocalyptic world where there is no longer a government or an aggreed ruling faction, just who decides what the law is? I mean, every organised group will have its own rules and laws which they will enforce amongst themselves...there is no definitive "correct" set of laws to follow.

The "Law" I'm mostly concerned is the Golden Rule of ethics (also found in the Bible, although I'm not religious): Don't do anything to others that you wouldn't wish done to yourself. It's simple, easy to remember and the basis of all civil conduct.

This being a game though, we can improvise a bit - I am not the higher authority to anybody (even the Regulators themselves), so whatever brand of "frontier justice" people will want to enforce is entirely up to them (I'm a big fan or Justified, the Preacher comics and westerns in general if that helps you understand my point of view). Play how you like, just don't shoot anybody who doesn't deserve it. I'm a simple man.

-O

EDIT: here's the wikipedia link for it - the rule of reciprocity that was essential in building any organized culture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rule

Edited by Oldtribe

The "Law" I'm mostly concerned is the Golden Rule of ethics (also found in the Bible, although I'm not religious): Don't do anything to others that you wouldn't wish done to yourself. It's simple, easy to remember and the basis of all civil conduct.

This being a game though, we can improvise a bit - I am not the higher authority to anybody (even the Regulators themselves), so whatever brand of "frontier justice" people will want to enforce is entirely up to them (I'm a big fan or Justified, the Preacher comics and westerns in general if that helps you understand my point of view). Play how you like, just don't shoot anybody who doesn't deserve it. I'm a simple man.

-O

Like I said, I have no objections. It is just interesting the way that things play out in DayZ. People wish to create groups to hunt down those they consider hostile, but one man's "survivor" is another man's killer.

It all adds to the world of DayZ though, so go for it :)

• Like 1

I just have to ask: just whose law are you going to enforce? I take it you mean Your law, because I dont recall being consulted :)

Also, what constitutes the lawless (beyond the fact that you and your self-appointed law-enforcers have decided that someone is breaking the law)? Is it as simple as "anyone that shoots at one of us"?

You are not the "law" so far as I am concerned, which makes you nothing more than a potential hostile and no different from any other killer in the game.

Heh, this is not a personal attack of any kind, and I dont have any objections...it is rather an observation about the general idea of enforcing the "law" in the world of DayZ.

In an apocalyptic world where there is no longer a government or an aggreed ruling faction, just who decides what the law is? I mean, every organised group will have its own rules and laws which they will enforce amongst themselves...there is no definitive "correct" set of laws to follow.

The law of not being an evil murderous thieving... I'll stop there XD.

Yes, we'll be enforcing what we perceive to be just (as in justice) laws. I practice complete non-aggression (except with bandits), if you read my story a few pages back, you'll see the kind of members that join the Regulators. We won't shoot you, even if there's a good chance you're going to shoot us. We only fire when we've confirmed one is a bandit or a kill on sight player. We're kind, and ready to offer assistance when we can. So while I understand you being willing to shoot us before you know who we are, there's really no sense to shooting us after you've determined we're part of the Regulators.

It's a vigilante style law, that's why we're the "Regulators" (I believe it's a cowboy era reference), it's about justice, protecting the innocent, killing the bad guys, and in this case taking their fat lootz. Will we get it right every time? No. Can anyone say that what we're doing isn't a morally good and just thing? Not really. Ultimately, people will get bored of kill on sight eventually, this is an alternative form of content that will spice things up for everyone. Very well geared players hunting other very well geared players but also trying to protect innocents? It will probably make some very cool encounters. We want Day Z to be better, where people don't have to shoot on sight to get by (like you seem to), that's all :P not trying to subjugate the masses.

Don't take this post as aggressive or anything, just to clarify, I have no problem with your post. I'm just trying to explain our position a little bit more :P.

• Like 1

The law of not being an evil murderous thieving... I'll stop there XD.

Yes, we'll be enforcing what we perceive to be just (as in justice) laws. I practice complete non-aggression (except with bandits), if you read my story a few pages back, you'll see the kind of members that join the Regulators. We won't shoot you, even if there's a good chance you're going to shoot us. We only fire when we've confirmed one is a bandit or a kill on sight player. We're kind, and ready to offer assistance when we can. So while I understand you being willing to shoot us before you know who we are, there's really no sense to shooting us after you've determined we're part of the Regulators.

It's a vigilante style law, that's why we're the "Regulators" (I believe it's a cowboy era reference), it's about justice, protecting the innocent, killing the bad guys, and in this case taking their fat lootz. Will we get it right every time? No. Can anyone say that what we're doing isn't a morally good and just thing? Not really. Ultimately, people will get bored of kill on sight eventually, this is an alternative form of content that will spice things up for everyone. Very well geared players hunting other very well geared players but also trying to protect innocents? It will probably make some very cool encounters. We want Day Z to be better, where people don't have to shoot on sight to get by (like you seem to), that's all :P not trying to subjugate the masses.

Don't take this post as aggressive or anything, just to clarify, I have no problem with your post. I'm just trying to explain our position a little bit more :P.

No problem at all with your post.

I would however point out that in general I do not play aggressively, but at the same time I have no interest in dying. If I see someone and they are going the other way and have not noticed me, I will usually just watch them pass by. If I see someone at range, I will often just clear the area. If I see someone up close; if I am alone and do not have a real advantage; it they are heading my way and there is no way to avoid an encounter....well I am sorry, but in those circumstances my own safety comes first...I will probably fire and fire first.

The fact is that almost everyone in the world of DayZ will at some point have killed someone they may not have had to kill...there are no "innocents" in the world of DayZ...a post-apocalyptic world tosses aside notions of innocence.

Dont read this as any kind of attack. I really like DayZ because it really does make you think about things.

It is all good, but an interesting discussion nevertheless :)

Some of my gaming buddies and I decided to take up the role of regulators to spice up our usual scavenging trips. We typically try to find a sniper rifle or DMR, and binoculars before climbing to a vantage point over whatever city we find ourselves in. When there we will watch for survivor activity - we help them fight off zombies or bandits, provide food and medical assistance, and show newbies the ropes. The same goes for any players we encounter while travelling that aren't immediately hostile.

I find it to be a very rewarding way to play, and as long as there's skilled bandits around to test our mettle it never gets dull! I'd love the chance to join up with more like minded players. :)

• Like 3

Actually, I think the best kind of Regulator would be a "repentant bandit" - this guy would have the necessary skills to do this job and had most likely reached a point where player killing had lost it's excitement almost completely. He'd understand the point of view of both parties and like you said, there are no innocents in DayZ, we've all killed other players for good or bad reasons and felt both good and bad about it.

At the end of the day, this whole idea came from reading the forums and seeing the unbelievable amount of frustration people have and thinking "hmm how could this be fixed without changing the game" - I think penalizing bandits "unnaturally" is downright stupid (although I'd like to give them some added horror effects, like having the ghosts of the people you've killed walk behind you, only being seen by you).

-O

My friend and I are currently playing in this manner. We tried to help two guys coming in from the coast last yesterday near Elektro... I made voice contact offering blood transfusion (one of them was bleeding as he ran across a field earlier) and anything else they may need. I think the leader got spooked and ran away over the ridge where they wwere both gunned down by a group of bandits. We proceeded to hunt the bandits. We were really close as they killed one or two more survivors, but there were 3 of them and 2 of us and we didn't have a safe shooting position, so we had to let them go. They never knew we were there so hopefully we'll get the chance again.

I do feel better about TRYING to help even if we didn't really get to. I'm also glad the guy didn't blast me ( I think he saw me hiding in the bush....).

Edited by baz
  • Like 3

@Knave

Very cool man! I'm playing *somewhat* similarly, though a little more close and personal. I'm PvE focused, so I prefer an M16 to a DMR, so when I go bandit hunting I have to be a bit more close up (only got one so far, and he wasn't looking XD).

@baz

That was very noble my friend. People seem to think that being selfless in this is a hard thing to do... but they really need to try it, it's very rewarding. Lots of people probably think we're a group of holier-than-thou dudes that need to loosen up -- but it's quite the opposite. Hunting down well equipped, hostile players is a very rewarding experience. It's enriched by the fact that we try to be as helpful as possible -- it makes the game all the more enjoyable.

I suggest to anyone that is having problems staying interested in Day Z, or is looking to spice things up a bit, don the Regulator tag, give being the good guy a try. It's a very fun, very rewarding experience.

• Like 2

Im definetely up for this idea. I think Regulators should be another kind of "class" in the game. We have Bandits, Survivors, and now we'll have regulators. It always nice to see people help out each other in the game.

• Like 2

Can i make a point about the concern someone made about 'what law?'.

From Fallout 3 its the law of the wasteland. Its an idea to try and bring a sense of community to the world and get people to work together (think Megaton). Think about if it was real life. Eventually all those cans of beans will run out (wont respawn obviously). So it would be either to join in with the walkers and eat people or try and grow crops etc. If there is no law and people KOS then theres little chance of a farm being made. The Regulators (or at least how i see it) are trying to bring people together to work together for the better of survival. Instead of fighting over that last can of beans we help each other find/make more food. Its strength in numbers after all. As a side note i think the mod would be brilliant with some sort of crop system and it requires more than 1 person to add in teamwork and a sense of survival than just respawning food.

In society today we need law to keep the peace and so there aren't those phycopaths killing everyone with no repercussions. In Dayz there are no laws so... WE ARE THE REPERCUSSION!

The first few times i played the game i survived for a long time each time (like 2-3 hours each and for a noob thats long!). Only dieing to walkers a few times and a couple of Bandits the other times. The PVP annoys me to hell. I mean its good as its more sense of urgency and paranoia. But when people kill me and then run off without even looting me or killing me when they just saw me spawn and again no looting i find it very against the spirit of the game. The Regulators are needed (or PVP specific servers) in my opinion.

Edited by Grey Warden
  • Like 1

@Grey Warden

I think your point is actually very accurate -- lots of people try to make excuses as to why banditry (and murder) is realistic in this setting, when it's just not. This is not to say not murder and no banditry would exist, but it certainly wouldn't be super common like it is in this game. In real life, you'd never just kill someone (with a gun or anything loud that is) and you probably wouldn't kill them even if you knew they had good loot (what if they have friends nearby, what if I attract zombies, what if I attract bandits, those aren't even dealing with the obvious moral problems most sane people would face with the thought of taking a life).

Indeed, I hope Regulators can grow into a force that will truly have an impact on the game. Spread the word friends, we're growing pretty fast already by word of mouth and these forum posts. If you meet survivors in game with like minded goals, ask if they want to join -- there are no obligations of any kind except for not being a person who kills everyone else (only self defense when fired upon, and bandit killing is allowed).

It's good that more groups like this are forming. This means the likelihood of KoS is going down! When KoS goes down, more innocent survivors are around to take the fight ot the true bandits that have chosen their path.

I definantly support this idea, and will look forward to fighting off some Reg's in the future. I can already see it's growing quite a bit, and hopefully I'll run into someone with a regulator tag eventually ingame.

• Like 1

I really like the part where you announce yourself.

I am all for this.

US 104 that server has ruthless killers on it. It needs "cleaning up."

=)

Yeah I think there are numerous vigilante groups being formed all over, so we hope to be a part of that wave by casting our nets wider (and thinner) by not being a clan - if other vigilante groups are assembling/playing on a server, a Regulator might be able to join them to assist or at least give them useful information by patrolling bandit hotspots (won't hurt having a few extra sets on eyes on that server you're protecting). We're not affiliated with anything except protection, so if you need us, don't hesitate to ask for extra manpower - there is no territorial pissing contests with us, we're just here for the bad boys. B)

-O

• Like 1

Yeah I think there are numerous vigilante groups being formed all over, so we hope to be a part of that wave by casting our nets wider (and thinner) by not being a clan - if other vigilante groups are assembling/playing on a server, a Regulator might be able to join them to assist or at least give them useful information by patrolling bandit hotspots (won't hurt having a few extra sets on eyes on that server you're protecting). We're not affiliated with anything except protection, so if you need us, don't hesitate to ask for extra manpower - there is no territorial pissing contests with us, we're just here for the bad boys. B)

-O

Well said.

I definantly support this idea, and will look forward to fighting off some Reg's in the future. I can already see it's growing quite a bit, and hopefully I'll run into someone with a regulator tag eventually ingame.

I don't know if I should hope you do run into a Regulator, or hope that you don't XD. I have a feeling they'd be in a lot of danger rofl.

• Like 1

Well been patrolling cherno tonight with an ak kobra, moving from building to building every now and then

First time I went in, got shot at and barely made it out, morphine and meat solve that problem

By the way, whoever you are ive never seen such a terrible shot (two whole automatic mags, an AK I think, first mag cripples my legs only hitting me twice on full auto, I heal and make a run for it and you hit me with the last couple of rounds of a full auto clip but im still standing and fall back to the treeline)

60 rounds fired, 4 -5 bullets hit me, thats really bad, it was pure luck you got me, no skill at all, even im not that bad of a shot and you were close I could hear your shots were very close

Crept in when it was a bit darker, searched every rooftop but didnt find the sniper (probably alt F4)

Someone started following me, came in the apartment buidlings, told him to back off and stop stalking me, he tells me to get lost on chat and come out so he can see me and says i probably dont even have a gun if im telling him to get lost instead of just shooting him. So I fire off a clip of ak rounds from a window. Said guy leaves his cover and sprints away pistol in hand and keeps running until he reaches the treeline, but I cant get a good aim on him, climb to roof and fire a few rounds at him but by now hes a good 5-600m away and zig zagging so after 5 shots I give up though I hit you at least once as I see your bleeding

I then climb and keep and eye on the city until it gets dark, see two survivors going through the town where they raid the hospital im laying on, they are good at keeping down the agro and sneak through without attracting any zombies and go off towards the coast.

One of you had broken legs and crawled your way in, the other guy had a gilli suit and some kind of giant machine gun. Broken leg guy had an silenced mp5 I think

Hopefully tomorrow will bring something that feels more like I did some good, travellers in cherno, you have someone watching your back

Edited by thelonewarrior
  • Like 1

@thelonewarrior

Yeah, sometimes being the good guy doesn't go as planned XD.

Watched some of your youtube videos, first off, dig the accent. Secondly, what servers do you play on? I watched your "last stand" one and felt bad, if you ever need help like that again and if you happen to play on American servers, you can message me or post here any time.

Im mostly on UK servers, but I do go on the american ones when it gets dark in the UK ones.

I like playing at night, but just dont have any NV goggles at the moment

In my last stand video there a a number of gunshots that arnt mine, they are pretty close so I did wonder if someone did try and help me at one point, guess Ill never know, they probably just wanted my gear

The whole idea of a safezone is nonsense as long as players can just "beam" in by sever hopping.

Server hopping was once hard back in the times when servers werre rare but nowadays you find a slot anytime somewhere.

The whole idea of a safezone is nonsense as long as players can just "beam" in by sever hopping.

Server hopping was once hard back in the times when servers werre rare but nowadays you find a slot anytime somewhere.

Wouldn't go so far as to say nonsense, just really hard to pull off. Luckily, Regulators aren't try for anything like that... it would be a pain rofl.