rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Well I guess I am one of the cheerleaders, the mod rocks.. I am a thirty something gamer and have waited a very long time (started on a vic-20) for something of this caliber, and with this potential to come along. Top this with the allowance (for all of US) to be a part of the alpha process.

Keep it coming, I would drop some loot for a polished version of this. There is currently no form of entertainment (that is anyway interactive and electronic), including all forms of cinema , that can even compare in a time vs. money (taking into consideration entertainment value) to say paying $60 dollars for a great game, or even $10 bucks / month... I say make the game killer , the core group will gladly pay (look at what WOW has done...)

anywayzzzz... keep it coming, can't wait to see what you throw at us next..

• Like 1

"hive reputation",

I like that idea. The hive learning players overall tendencies and punishing the abusers.

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

"[NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play"

So when a hacker makes me invisible and disables my hunger and thirst, cleared my inventroy and teleports me 30k out into the debug plains what the fuck am I supposed to do?

Deal with the hackers before you start working on the kiddy stuff that hardly matters.

You realize server admins have NO tools available to them to determine who a hacker on their server is right? Currently the only way to find out who is hacking is if someone else is using the same scripts themselves.

So in other words I can potentially get banned from the database for even trying to find a stable server? GG welcome to the start of a very painful death of DayZ. Just remember folks you heard it here first.

So, when does this update drop?

I'm not sure if I like this, I have crappy internet and sometimes disconnect. Will this affect me?

are you kidding me? do ANY of you read anything before posting the same dumb question that has been asked 20-25 times already in this same thread?

don't need to say more or ?? PLS first read and then post your questions.

Firstly, we will do what DayZ always does... we will collect data.

At the same time, initially, login cooldown will be applied (and grow) where you transfer to another server, and cooldown will be applied significantly if you try and reconnect to the same server (with an alive character). Once we have enough data, we will use that to determine algorithms that detect a players behavior over a period of time. This will allow us to then start applying warnings > punishments > database bans; to those players who continue the behavior.

I log in and out of servers constantly because THEY DO NOT label their servers correctly or are using INCORRECT timezones on their server or have lag and desync issues.

Am I going to be punished?

Edited by Oshrilkal

May I suggest an addition to the tracking of login/logout?

I realized that I sometimes hop between servers just at the start, as I try to find a good server (mostly looking for a server without fps issues).

Assuming that isn't abusive somehow, would it be reasonable to exclude logins/logouts that occur after not having played for several hours? It could also be dependant on whether or not certain actions were made during the brief period of play, such as shooting a gun or aggroing zombies. That is: so long as you haven't done such actions, haven't played for several hours prior to a string of quick logins/logouts, there will be no punishment.

But maybe this would have found it's way into the algorithm anyway through the analysis of collected behavior data.

ROCKET! THIS ^ !

Please really take into account all the situations where players actually NEED to server hop, such as finding a day/night server, a non-laggy server, server hopping to play with friends, etc.

I log in and out of servers constantly because THEY DO NOT label their servers correctly or are using INCORRECT timezones on their server or have lag and desync issues.

Am I going to be punished?

Exactly! When it should be day it is night etc... annoying...

Anyone having some problems using SixLauncher... had to restart the program several times to get servers then notices alot of the UK ones are missing.....

The Gamespy stuff is under maintenance. So most servers will not show.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on the * [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4) part?

What will it actually do?

plz?

Anyone having some problems using SixLauncher... had to restart the program several times to get servers then notices alot of the UK ones are missing.....

Yeah just came back..

• Like 1

The Gamespy stuff is under maintenance. So most servers will not show.

Thanks dude, just noticed a few have "popped up" still a bit annoyed ive lost my LA85 though

i concur with the legit server hopping concerns.

i sometimes bounce around between 8-10 servers because so many of them have issues. there are so many server issues even when the server pings back at a seductive 20ms...

a) huge yellow-chain desynching every few minutes

B) awful framerate

c) server description is incorrect

(if this issue has already been addressed, then apologies - didn't have time to read all 35 pages :o)

Another minor glitch i have noticed. (well actually its pretty major) is sometimes i cannot pick up items, it wont give me the option even if i use the scroll wheel... anyone else having this problem or am i just landing in the wrong servers?

The approach we're taking is to look at a players previous data when they are authenticated. If the server see's clear evidence that a player has been doing things that they are not allowed to do (such as large quantities of ALT+F4, hacked weapons, teleporting, spawning, or anything like that...) then it will either warn the player of their status, or prevent them from being authenticated.

We need to add a new feature to the site that allows the player to review their personal data, so that they can check their Hive reputation, and ask for a manual review where they consider something is in error.

I didn't think that anything short of disconnect timers or some other more complicated mechanic would work but you sold me! A data-driven approach is the way to catch people. Log out on one server, log in on another, then kill 3 people? Very bad.

Get shot at, disconnect, switch to another server and heal up? Very bad.

This is fantastic and I can't wait to see how this plays out!

Also, could we get a database wipe so that we can get start with a clean slate? I feel like this is also the best way to get clean data.

Edited by jesquik

One problem I see is that without the respawn button coop play will get even more difficult.

Until now you could (ab)use it to get a spawn closer to your team but now it will take ages to reunite.

Considering that you can die because of a tree or bush or other environmental entities, makes alpha testing the mod even more

of a pain.

Basically it's a good idea but maybe it's a bit too early to implement that

Wait, wait. Does this mean (* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play) that for the next patch I will spawn when I am dead and then I have to stick with my position?

If this is the case, I would perhaps consider the possibility to delay this new mechanic until I can choose my spawn location. Don't you think?

He has a good point....

• Like 1

* [NEW] Respawn button is disabled during DayZ play

Really Rocket, really?

This is Alpha, we all know that because this forum has like 1000 users who dedicated their time to tell you "ALPHAZ!!111oneoneeleven" as soon as you "whine" about something, and in broken Alpha like DayZ mod is you decided to remove Respawn feature?

- Hackers: teleport you around, break your leg(s), send you to debug forest.

- Spawns: debug forest.

- Playing with friends: I am playing with 5-8 people, can you imagine nightmare of us getting together now? We will literally spend HOURS to just meet and start playing together, that is your intention that goes along with game's core design? I have to quit my job and my friends have to quit their studies if they want to play few hours of DayZ with me, because now... well... it's impossible to play DayZ for couple of hours as we will spend those couple of hours just running to find each other.

Oh cmon, don't just remove something like Respawning without giving us any alternative. What the fuck is my alternative if hacker breaks my leg in middle of nowhere while I am running through the forest? Is part of game's core design to have damn hacker on every damn server breaking my legs and teleporting me around? Most of people are already annoyed by overal hacking in this game, now we have to think about being stuck in nowhere without option to respawn/start from scratch.

Thank you Rocket, and your data collecting.

* [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4)

I don't even know what is benefit of ALT+F4 in DayZ but people are talking about that as it is form of hacking. I guess people escape danger doing ALT+F4 but I never understood why is it different then Abort->Disconnect.

Anyway, fighting against anything that annoys most of players is always good and nice but reading like 20 pages of this thread I found out you will also bring a lot of problems to legitimate users.

- Server/Client Performance: for some reason I can't explain nor understand why is my FPS changed by server's performance based on hardware and/or internet it has. I can NOT know if server I am joining will work well for me hence every day I am playing DayZ I have to change at least few servers before I find one that works fine. Why should I get punished for trying to play this game on server that gives me more then 15 FPS?

- Friends: same thing as above, different people have different PC configurations. When I play with friends some server we pick gives good performance to half of our group, while other half has shitty FPS. We gotta keep "server hoping" until we find server that works decently for everyone. Punish us? Of course, we are such abusers and exploiters...

- Misleading server information: AT LEAST half of servers "lie" about timezone and settings. Countless and countless of times I entered server where (by description) it should've been day but is night, or it says "CH:ON" but CH is OFF and so on. Should I be also punished because server admin doesn't care for updating server's name and description?

Basically this patch just PUNISHES me as legitimate user that doesn't ALT+F4, doesn't server hop for loot, doesn't abuse this game by any other means and surely doesn't hack. I play as legit as it is possible and after this patch I'll have HARD time playing with friends, I'll get punished for going through difficult process of finding decent server - difficult process that GAME/mod enforced on me, also I will spend my DayZ playtime running and trying to find friends OR I will crawl in forest for hours trying to find a zombie to kill me after hacker teleports me to forest and breaks my leg. Or... I will just be stuck in debug forest.

Really nice of you Rocket, instead of fixing bugs/hacks/performance issues that are here for months or AT LEAST enforcing same DayZ version/beta patch version on all servers you are adding Bear Traps and shitting on players who play this legit.

Thanks dude.

• Like 3

Rocket, love the patch. Thank you for your continued work.

Keep up with the plan to monitor log in/log out and ban the offenders.

Please keep work toward a 5 second log out timer though, as I believe that will curb the problem more than any other solution.

When you guys are done with DayZ and begin focusing on the standalone can you guys please release the server files and perhaps put a HIVE server which can be supported by the DayZ players to stay active as long as we keep donating?

I mean I am sure going to try out the standalone but personally speaking I love this mod and it would be better if I could host a server to play with my friends, randoms, etc...

Edited by maximiliousP

Another minor glitch i have noticed. (well actually its pretty major) is sometimes i cannot pick up items, it wont give me the option even if i use the scroll wheel... anyone else having this problem or am i just landing in the wrong servers?

Sometimes people will put items on top of something and you have to pick it up to get to the item you want. Also sometimes stuff bugs. Like this one time I found somebody dead and they had a Alice Pack. Well I tried just scroll wheel to take it but that wouldn't work so what I had to do was empty my backpack scroll wheel the body and select gear then click their backpack and in the bottom right of the inventory window click take and it swapped mine for theirs. Sometimes things just take a little finagling to get it to work.

Edited by Chaos5061
  • Like 1

Doesn't this seem sort of pointless in light that players can still just run up to the nearest zombie and let themselves be killed. You aren't actually forcing spawn points on anyone, just making it take a few secs/minutes longer.

Deal with what exactly? The reality that respawn or zombie food is always going to be faster than running? Just because Rocket thinks it's data worth gathering doesn't mean he's correct. The behavior will continue and the behavioral data won't actually change. Players will death cycle regardless of method till they get where they want to be.

it might set the scene better though.

about 90% of the fresh survivors you see away from cherno/elektro run 10 feet forward and then drop dead instantly. that's not right, and i would like to see it addressed. at least death by zombie would be a more feasible stunted life cycle than pandemic cardiac arrest.

however, i can see that the lack of suicide button would be very annoying if you don't have someone to help (think break a leg with no morphine or otherwise encounter a glitch which prevents you from moving anywhere at any speed... urgh)

Edited by tarquinbb

Here's an idea: When you attempt to abort log out the game forces you to type something specific into a box. Like "Bandits are slow and someone took my beans", random words, no not the same exact word every time, random words, every time it's something different. That would stop the combat disconnecters, although it wouldn't stop alt + F4ing as that is a windows shortcut, unless that shortcut can be disabled somehow or stopped from executing.