BossFi

For the good of the game: everything needs to breakdown!

Items and weapons that last forever will kill the gameplay. Rare items will become more common as times goes by. Example:

1 Player picks up rare item. He gets killed and looted while another rare item spawns in the world.

Now 2 players have that rare item, eventually everyone you loot will have that same rare items.

Once you have nice loot, there is no reason to find heli crashes or go back to supermarkets for a box of matches etc.Also new spawns just need to kill another player because he is more likely to have all the tools and other stuff you need. No reason to loot buildings for that special loot.

I suggest:

As examples (which can be expanded for other gear)

Anything that takes batteries runs out after so many hours of use and has to be thrown away, cannot replace batteries! (need a battery life indicator)

Box of matches: used up after 50 uses. (need uses left bar)

Weapons breakdown from wear and tear (need health bar)

• Like 11

This falls pretty well under the category of "realistic for realism's sake." This wouldn't improve the game in any way, shape or form.

This falls pretty well under the category of "realistic for realism's sake." This wouldn't improve the game in any way, shape or form.

Not entirely, this is a survival game after all. Stuff breaking/degrading or running out of power is a very real threat in a survival situation.

This is not actually a bad idea but it might be better in a different form.

Wear and tear and conditions on weapons BUT with the ability to maintain and repair your weapon with components.

Would love to see the extra realism with people firing guns found in bad condition and that they have a chance to jam on them. Guns jamming in mid firefight would give people seconds thoughts about just blatantly firing them on others while giving the majority of the other people in the game something else to do for the long run.

Letting weapons spawn in different conditions will also give people more reason to look for ones in better condition, or head North for that matter if all guns at the coast are in a bad state when they spawn. Pretty realistic with weapons lying in the open with the salty air for god knows how long.

• Like 1

I agree on this too.. Give items a finite lifespan.. this will make the game harder and more fun I think... IT will also force players more in to towns/loot spots and this will make it easier to hunt then for there beans:-)

Thinker

Sounds like Far Cry 2 for me and not everyone liked that system.

Your forum name is '1337', your opinion is not valid.

Yes. I like the idea of weapon degradation and requiring maintenance. Limited use of matches, batteries etc. Yep. All good.

Not bad thinking! We would just need really good way of implementing this.

But yeah, weapon degradation would definitely push people to visit spawn places more and if you ran out of matches, you would definitely want to get new one.

When we are on the vibe of harder survival, why not to make cooked steak last only certain time?

You would surely not carry the same piece of cooked meat in your bag for over a day or two,before it would go bad right?

This would make canned food a bit more desirable too.

Btw weapons should jam sometimes as somebody suggested. Then you would have to reload them again to unjam it. Would make some firefights damn more intensive.

Now to implement some of these things + prevent combat D/C and it would make this mod closer to perfection again.

There's only 3 different things to think about with stuff like this.

Balance > Realism

Fun =/= Realism?

Can Fun = Balanced?

Your forum name is '1337', your opinion is not valid.

And you have over 150+ posts, and flame this guy for giving his opinion, because of his name - even thought his viewpoint is solid. Don't be a dickhead @DryGulch, you should be better then that.

@l337 - I agree i dont like that system.

• Like 1

overall this idea certainly has some potential, i was about to post a thread about matches and one about bullets, i'll put my idea here as its really now just an embelishment.

Matches - very common - 15 uses - 5% chance of wasting a match in the rain.

Cheap lighter - reasonably common - 100 uses - 2% chance of wasting a use in the rain

zippo lighter - uncommon - 250 uses - 2% chance of wasting a use in the rain - can be refilled with lighter fluid (one can = one inventory slot = 5 refills)

Flint and steel - rare - 3000 uses - weather independent - rare spawn in deer hunting posts?

what do you all think?

Re Bullets, i think you should be able to carry rounds and magazines. you can store say.... 200 rounds in a slot, and one magazine per slot. you gotta keep your magazines full (right click, fill magazine). This takes time so isn't really an option in a combat situation. Benefits of this is you could carry 3 mags for your prime and a slot of bullets in your backpack. more realistic AND helpful IMO.

I may post these separately if people think i should?

I think if you implement something like this for a few of the tools it would certainly make people need to keep looting. Also making the basic matches more common would increase access for noobs in hunting.

Edited by gurei

I think this idea is awesome!

I would love a system were the weapon would slowly degrade due to use/weather/time and you would need to get parts (maybe scrap metal or something similar) to keep it maintained. Maybe also gun oil that needed to be applied to the weapon periodically or the weapon would degrade quicker.

The higher the degredation the higher chance of misfires and jams, and if it is really bad the gun could explode casuing injury.

I feel this would add depth and give players more to do. Guns shouldnt break down quickly but it should be something that the player needs to keep an eye on.

Edited by Mick458

I'm for it but it would have to take awhile for them to actually break. However it would need to be cleaned somewhat often. Add a "cleaning kit" with infinite uses for this?

I'm all for matches having a fixed number of uses. Anything that forces hardcore survivalists back to the zombie infested areas.

As for weapon degradation, I have seen so many games where they are either mildly annoying (fallout 3) or game breakingly unrealistic (System shock 2). S.T.A.L.K.E.R's Complete mod did a good job of it with single use repair kits scattered sparsely around the gameworld and technicians that will fix something up for you for a price.

For the sake of both realism and added depth, I think Day Z should have weapons with a fixed condition (a simple good, fair, poor) that can be improved with highly sought after repair kits (you could diversify the kits if needed for each weapon class). IRL, guns do break down but the rate they do in video games is implausable.

Good condition- The weapon will never jam and scoped or sighted weapons are well callibrated.

Fair condition- Pistols and fully automatic weapons may jam infrequently but reloading will fix this. Scoped weapons will veer off target slightly in a subtle but predictable way (this would be interesting, making players need to familiarise themselves with the weapon they are using, knowing it's flaws).

Poor condition- Pistols and fully automatic weapons may jam and not be fired again without a repair kit (the repair kit also upgrades it's condition). The same goes for scoped weapons but they also fire in a subtle but erratic way that is unpredictable.

I like the idea of getting familiar with a fair conditioned rifle, knowing where the sighting is biased and correcting for it, knowing that the weapon would be useless in the hands of someone that loots it from my body until they learn how it works. I also like the idea of a high tier weapon being highly sought after right up to the point where it jams permanently. Leaving a player with the difficult choice of having it take up space in your backpack as a useless item until you find a maintenance kit or ditching it alltogether. A less than respectable player trying to exchange a jammed or poor condition weapon for a fair conditioned one.

Edited by Bribase
  • Like 1

I believe, if well balanced, this is not only great idea, but excellent... I have noticed that this thread actually divided community in two sections - one that wants to have easy fun, second that wants to have realism - coz, lets face it, this is a Simulator, not just a simple game. So I would go one step further, and make this dependable on server - So if we have regular server, weapons might break down slower/not at all, if we have veteran/extreme server, weapons would get damaged and wore off. If you ask me? I would definitely go for the Veteran server, with no questions asked, coz this is something you would have to consider.

What I love on this game, that every now and then, I am somehow attached to my character, I live with it, and I breath same heavily after running off 10zombies chasing me(not even D3 HC mode made me feel like this), this would also make me love my weapon and possibly give it a name:)), now lets imagine, that I have an option from choosing of my own Winchester, which is in brilliant shape and very well maintaned, for hunting rifle with scope, that is however in devastating shape - I cannot carry both, but I have to choose... I would love that actually

Someone mentioned Far Cry2 here - the game wasnt bad because of this, this was thing, that made the game great, thing that made the game crappy, was it was boring like hell...

Of course, this change is quiet big, and it would need a lot of testing, but hell, thats why we are here, to test it, and give feedback, and I will gladly do that!

I could back degrading weapons due to use, but most games take it too far. After only a few magazines, the weapon becomes next to useless and I think that is a bit much. In real life, you don't see bent barrels or rusted bolts after firing 90 rounds through your gun, and I doubt that'd be well recieved here. Personally, I usually don't fire 500 rounds before I am killed. I survived 19 days ingame, and I probably fired 13 rounds with a CZ550, 60ish rounds with an M4A3, and like 40 rounds with a DMR. So maintaining those weapons wouldn't be much as I'd maybe clean them once and nothing else.

So if it was based on realistic cleaning practices (not firing range practices) then I'd back it. Otherwise, I see this becoming a retarded time-sink.

EDIT: We also don't routinely run through mud-holes or take dips in rivers, or even wipe our weapons through sand, so jamming wouldn't happen all that often. If my M1911 stove-piped every other round because I fired 2 mags through it I'd stop playing and look for another game.

Edited by Zeromentor

everything should need attention, it might make the game a bit crazy "realistic" but it would expand on the survival aspect, im talking about

• matches running out
  • flashlights run out of batteries, go find new batteries
  • knife and hatchet goes dull (sharpening should require tools and should take a good 2-5 minutes to do, if they are not sharpened gutting, getting wood and killing with the hatchet should take more time/hits)
  • weapon needs cleaning or it jams often (good weapons cleaning can take an hr or more in rl, lets cut it down to 5-8 minutes in game)
  • canteens need to be cleaned or they rot (happened to one of my troops in RL, he had great regret for not cleaning his canteen, 1 minute at the pond or well should be fine)
  • meat goes bad after a while ( maybe after 12-24 hours, can still be consumed but makes player sick and gives less blood)
  • beans are awesome (awesome sauce)
  • clothes get dirty, smell attracts zeds from greater distance and makes animals run from you
  • medical equipment expires (we have several "combat lifesaver" bags in our company that are UN-usable because the content expired, maybe morphine for example could expire after 48 hours)
  • wood gets wet if its not in your back pack when it rains, takes more matches to light fire (yeah quick way around it get new wood but what if you dont have a hatchet ;) )
  • nvgs run out of batteries, get new ones (would put balance to it, people would conserve it rather than hunt player without it at night)

all this sounds crazy but would increase gameplay. it would give people reasons to go back to towns etc. making things break/ perish would force a player to be more careful with its use and would force him into sticky situations. right now if you have matches a hatchet a knife and a canteen, you can survive in the wild for aslong as you want, no problem. would be nice. beans given ;)

Edited by thedog

nvgs run out of batteries, get new ones (would put balance to it, people would conserve it rather than hunt player without it at night)

NVG's are a rare item and to keep them rare they need to break themselves. Replacing batteries defeats the purpose of rare items. If batteries are made rare then they won't be enough for the common items like a torch.

Same with rare weapons, they should degrade, not fixable otherwise everyone will have them still.

Edited by BossFi

i agree. You shouldn't be able to be "set for life", because as it is, my survivor is pretty the best he could get, and there's no more incentive to loot.

+1 to this idea. Although repairing weapons/finding batteries should be put in. I don't think that you should throw away NVG's because the batteries have run out.