Bukethead

Reduced AKM/AK74 spawn, replace with SKS

SKS in DayZ  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SKS be added to DayZ?

I can buy a AK for 100 bucks if not less from my local gun store. AKs are so common because billions were made. Nothing needs to be changed however, more guns can never be a bad things.

You live in West Virginia, not Chernarus. Also 100 dollar AK? Sorry that's not even possible. Not even the worst AK, the WASR-10 sells for that low a price.

If you want to go to the other extreme of the argument, someone from Europe would be bitching that there are two many military weapons and/or guns need to be removed because a common citizen cannot purchase them without some problems.

What everyone is forgetting is this is post-apoc. No laws or government apply, it's non-existent. It's literally anarchy.

That and you are not accurately gauging how many SKSs and other soviet weapons were made en mass before the AK was even invented.

Edited by Bukethead

I can buy a AK for 100 bucks if not less from my local gun store. AKs are so common because billions were made. Nothing needs to be changed however, more guns can never be a bad things.

Are you kidding me? Adding to what Bukethead said, the lowest AK you can get around here, in Ohio (not far from you) is the WASR-10/63. They sell second hand for around 450 dollars. New they are around 500. Another AK that is far superior, but around the same price, is the Hungarian AMD-65, that sells for 450-500 dollars. To say you can buy an AK for 100 dollars is plain bullshit, you can't even get a used demilled parts kit (Missing barrel and receiver.) for less than 150. Ak's were also never made in the "Billions". In the hundreds of millions over the years? Yes. But there have not been a billion AK's made.

EDIT: By the way, on the other end of the spectrum, a high quality, Russian made stamped AK series rifle (Sold in the US under the Arsenal brand), sells for anywhere from 800-1000 dollars. Most AK's from ex-soviet nations sit somewhere between 550-800 dollars.

Edited by Nick8478

Wow I'm sick of you idiots, begging the devs to add other guns into the game. let me put it simply.

If its not in arma2 OA, then it wont be in dayz.

If its in arma3, then they'll probobly put it in dayz.

Wow I'm sick of you idiots, begging the devs to add other guns into the game. let me put it simply.

If its not in arma2 OA, then it wont be in dayz.

If its in arma3, then they'll probobly put it in dayz.

I wasn't aware it was against the rules to do something you don't approve of, OH WAIT, it's not.

The crossbow, the hatchet, the crowbar, the Winchester 1866, and the double barreled shotgun are all weapons that are not in arma2/OA and are in DayZ.

Your logic fails.

Edited by Bukethead
Abusive language
  • Like 2

Hells to the muthafuckin yeah put this gun in-game!! Should be slightly less common than the AK's but still be able to use those mags. This would bring out the "duck and cover" attack style in most people IMO.

Edited by Medic (not bandit)

I think the background story would make sense as well. The AK47s we're taken by the survivors of the zombie attacks, while the less-effective SKS weapons were naturally left behind.

Maybe they can even add in a slap-fire mechanic for the SKS. For realism, of course.

• Like 1

Maybe they can even add in a slap-fire mechanic for the SKS. For realism, of course.

Would definitely add an interesting aspect to using it.

The AKM/AKMS would be very common in any military base in a former soviet bloc country. The SKS would be more rare in that situation. I think the SKS would be more common with police and civilians. An SKS in a firestation makes more sense that an AK. While I really like the AKM it could be reduced a little in the spawns and still be a common military rifle. Same goes for the AK74/AKS74. That rifle is a little less common than the AKM.

More weapons I would like to see that is already in ARMA 2 is the Vz.58 and the Vz.61(a.k.a the skorpion). Vz.58 is a Czech rifle that is visually similar to the AKM but internally different. The Vz.58 would fit in perfectly since Chernarus is based off the Czech republic. Same goes for the Vz.61 skorpion. Its a common czech SMG/PDW.

• Like 2

The AKM/AKMS would be very common in any military base in a former soviet bloc country. The SKS would be more rare in that situation. I think the SKS would be more common with police and civilians. An SKS in a firestation makes more sense that an AK. While I really like the AKM it could be reduced a little in the spawns and still be a common military rifle. Same goes for the AK74/AKS74. That rifle is a little less common than the AKM.

More weapons I would like to see that is already in ARMA 2 is the Vz.58 and the Vz.61(a.k.a the skorpion). Vz.58 is a Czech rifle that is visually similar to the AKM but internally different. The Vz.58 would fit in perfectly since Chernarus is based off the Czech republic. Same goes for the Vz.61 skorpion. Its a common czech SMG/PDW.

I'd like to see the western rifles, such as any of the M4/M16, M14, M1911, M1014, M24, etc and their variants only spawn at certain Humvee wrecks, and military camps such as in Berezino, Chernogorsk, Stary Sobor, etc and keep the barracks, airfield spawning the eastern weaponry exclusively.

• Like 1

I'd like to see the western rifles, such as any of the M4/M16, M14, M1911, M1014, M24, etc and their variants only spawn at certain Humvee wrecks, and military camps such as in Berezino, Chernogorsk, Stary Sobor, etc and keep the barracks, airfield spawning the eastern weaponry exclusively.

that makes sense. Humvee crash sites would add another cool random loot spawn. Never much gear at one because they would already have been looted by the survivors who destroyed them (zombies didn't blow up all those cars).

I hope you guys realize that the sks uses the same round as the AK-47 (7.62x39 .310 diameter) and is actually significantly longer range (440 yards compared to 300-380 of an ak) It should not be underpowered like some suggest because it would realisticly pose as a significant advantage at longer range.

Edited by Armadyl

its true that the AKM is pretty over-powered for how common it is (its one of the best assault rifles IMO). It seems to always spawn in the fire station

LOL...it's considered the worst weapon in the game by most players...a teammate doesn't consider it a weapon at all... Another mission: "So, what's in the crate?" "No weapons, just AKs..."

AKs are like your daily bread in a russian state, it's the most common weapon in areas where you can't get an Armalite or any other western weapon. Considering the time period the game is playing the production of the SKS should have been discontinued because the chinese and russians ( actually more the chinese who ruined their own market with that tactic btw... ) spammed the world with AKs. If the SKS was more common then why does every person in the third world countries who can't even afford a meal able to get himself an AK?

• Like 1

also the sks is not neccisarily limited to a 10 round clip..there are 20, 30 and even 40 round clips u can buy for it..

and different types of sks would be neat...like for example the yugo sks that has a spigot type grenade launcher on it with grenade laucnher sights and flash suppressor..

I'd say yes to the SKS but to add a slight difference to the equation on where they spawn.

Everyone seems focused on reducing the spawn rates of AKM/AK's inside Firestations and other similar Military Loot spawns such as Barracks or Airfields. In my honest opinion this is fine, AKM/AK's should be found soley inside Military Loot Spawns such as Barracks, Control Towers and Military Tents.

Fire Stations and other similar Police/Military spawns should have an increase in finding lower level Military weapons such as Sub-Machine guns (such as the MP5, Vz.61 and/or unsilenced Bizon PP-19), the AKS-74U rifle and Shotguns (such as the Remington 870 and M1014).

Not once however have I heard the mention of Deer Stands which often spawn a myraid of Military gear, both Warsaw pact AKM/AK's and NATO M4's/M16's, M24's and M14/DMR's.

However I believe that certain weapons such as the Lee Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Double Barrel Shotgun, CZ-550 and the SKS should spawn inside these Deer stands instead of military loot as well as inside Farmyard Barns and other residental buildings. Afterall with a name such as "Deer Stand" they'd be more used for hunting wild animals than containing Military loot such as DMR's and other such military weapons.

The reason being is that alot of old Surplus weapons like the SKS are often frequently used by the civilian populace as inexpensive hunting weapons in alot of European countries. Anyone who has gone hunting for Wild Boar/Pigs will testify that the 7,62x39 fired from an SKS is a perfect hog killer.

Also, to sort of add to this: I would like to see the SKS replace the Enfield, with automatics in general having lower spawn rates. It makes absolutely no sense to me that the Enfield is one of the more common shoulder weapons, and yet the SKS is completely absent.

see your own signature for your answer.

think about the rest of the loot that spawns at the firestation, it has to be one gun or another that gets the common spawn.

and if there's someone sniping a major city, you're not going to want a short ranged weapon to take them out. just be thankful

that it's the AK's that spawn, and not the DMR or M4A1 CCO. I think the SKS should be added, but not by replacing the AK.

most players can't even seem to control the AK(M/74) after a few shots due to the recoil and iron sights.

I think its the perfect pre-military loot weapon before getting more north towards hangers and barracks.

Edited by KattSavage

Don't reduce AKM/AK spawns. These guns are already shit-like in ArmA, so if you want more hardcore, let them spawn even more.

Though adding sks is a good idea.

see your own signature for your answer.

He's not even an active member anymore, you won't get a response from him.

Regarding the topic, yes, more Soviet/Russian weapons would be great, and only a small amount of NATO weapons.

And Gordon, we don't need MORE military weapons lying around, I think civilian weapons should be more emphasized.

It makes no difference.. It's still 7.62x39 and semi-automatic. Bang bang bang, you're dead. I use AKM semi-auto all the time. Killed a guy at 30 meters with semi-auto in a couple of seconds.

It would be a nice weapon to add, but the reason to add it can't be, because people "mow down" each other with the weapon. Fucking hell, I can't tell the last time I saw someone with an AK rifle. I've seen a lot of AR's and DMR's though.

Edited by Sutinen