oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

The standalone is using a kind of ARMA 2.5 engine according to Rocket in an interview.

Listen people...I'm gonna make this as short as possible (cuz i'm not into writing) Cry engine 3 is made for FPS games ONLY like farcry,farcry 2,crysis,crysis 2 (not all of them were made on the cry engine 3 but still...)as for Arma 2 and DayZ they use Real Virtuality engine 3 that are made only for simulators.

Cry Engine 3 would die on it's ass trying to run a 225sqkm game, let alone one with the complexity and graphical beauty as the one Arma 2 does. And then on top of that HUNDREDS of AI all doing their pathing ON THE FLY.

No, no way, Cry Engine can barely deal with the small environments they have in Crysis. Arma engines are the only engines out there that can run a massive, beautiful looking world with so many AI.

OMG this idea is so good cry engine 3 would make dayz everything it needs to be

Cry Engine 3 would die on it's ass trying to run a 225sqkm game, let alone one with the complexity and graphical beauty as the one Arma 2 does. And then on top of that HUNDREDS of AI all doing their pathing ON THE FLY.

No, no way, Cry Engine can barely deal with the small environments they have in Crysis. Arma engines are the only engines out there that can run a massive, beautiful looking world with so many AI.

Listen people...I'm gonna make this as short as possible (cuz i'm not into writing) Cry engine 3 is made for FPS games ONLY like farcry,farcry 2,crysis,crysis 2 (not all of them were made on the cry engine 3 but still...)as for Arma 2 and DayZ they use Real Virtuality engine 3 that are made only for simulators.

The ignorance is astounding.

People are idiots. Mmo's get developed on the cryengine, like Archeage. Archeage has no loading screens on a HUGE detailed map that not only supports 3 countries but also a huge open sea which is fully explorable, all while hosting thousands of players. The cryengine is a lot better optimised then the arma one too, and can run on a far more expansive range of PC's.

Also, people need to realise that an engine doesn't determine how the style of the game looks or plays, it's completely up to the art director and 3D modellers. You can make a totally fast paced FPS game, and a clunky, sluggish, atmospheric survival horror game on the exact same engine, it's just how well you are at good making.

I personally like the cryengine more because it's a lot responsive and has already been proven to be a very well optimised, flexible engine, all of which will give Day Z what it needs, and then some. But if rocket can make the arma engine fluid and well optimised, I don't really care.

People are idiots. Mmo's get developed on the cryengine, like Archeage. Archeage has no loading screens on a HUGE detailed map that not only supports 3 countries but also a huge open sea which is fully explorable, all while hosting thousands of players. The cryengine is a lot better optimised then the arma one too, and can run on a far more expansive range of PC's.

i wouldnt cry that loud about superiority of cryengine, when comparing mmorpg to a shooter, that has dedicated servers.

because net code can be totally different, and in case of mmo there is possibility to split games realm to handle by few servers. in case of arma`s engine there is only one server per realm

So... your willing to pay for the licenses for using the engine and development cost for starting from scratch ?

Than this would be a great idea :P

The thought of it is nice. I mean it could be such a dynamic and immersive world. The only thing that satisfies me knowing that they are working with RVE is because they designed it. The know pretty much all the mechanics and how everything interacts with eachother. Good thought and good post though.

When will people stop moaning about engines? The new engine it will be using will be fine.

And on top of that, if Rocket wont use an ArmA engine for the game, how the fuck can he recreate the weapon mechanics for it in a few months?

Edited by Sutinen

if dayz is the success we all hope it will be it will spawn imitations, some will be inferior (no need to name it) but others, maybe by using this cryengine or even superior engines that are yet to be developed, will be even better.

The future for the genre of post-apocalypse survival simulators is looking very sweet indeed, thanks in no small part to the game that really started it all off - Dayz.

Edited by Rastamaus

CryTek already has a 'serious games' division called Realtime Immersive (youtube it), they produce a milsim which beat Bohemia out for a $57M US military contract last year. The engine is a closed license, handles everything (including datum) better than VBS4, so if someone was looking to compete with DayZ, this is the engine to do it on. However I don't think anyone bar miltary and resource sector has used the thing. It also has the best video editor around. And yeah it already handles the Rigs of Rods plugin someone mentioned earlier. I thought WarZ would have used it, but they are dumb as fuck.

Edited by dystopeon

Coast Shot:

wsuv.jpg

Electro Dock:

x9ah.jpg

I had the same idea for DayZ within the cry engine, and I decided to start it as a new project of mine. This is my progress after a day.

The length of this project is daunting, and I just started. It doesn't look like much now but it has potential. No textures or vegetation has been applied yet, this is only the long range texture. After textures, trees, grass, and some lighting tweaks this will look much better. As for the rest of the work to do.... oh boy.

• Like 4

I would prefer see dayz on the skyrim, fallout series engine(whatever the hell it is), it's already proven to have very big worlds with a lot of variety in the terrain with enemies and a whole lot of loot too, plus I think it looks great.

I dont think it is possible (ik its.. but would take 3-5 more years tho) to make this game on any other engine now. Everything would have to be literally "re-coded". Arma engines are used cus the guys who make the game -as said many times- have lots of experience on arma engines.. they made arma mods and got used to the codes that are in the engines..

For them to make the game on a new engine would imo mean at the very least +5 years until the alfa would get out.

Possible? Yes. But i'd be seeing you in 3-5 years, by then we get over it.

Edited by Trizzo

bjsq.jpg

Work In Progress

• Like 3

Work In Progress

Wow, looking good, how long do you expect it will take you get this in a playable state?