oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

I have heard of custom maps in cry engine that are over 30 km across...but never the size of arma maps. Its the only engine i know of with that size of map with the same amount of detail

Chernarus is small, there are much bigger maps possible with arma (biggest map at armaholic is about 34000km² big)

http://www.crydev.ne...t=87249&start=0

This is one of the most biggest maps created under CryEngine3, and i think cryengine still can handle a map like chern ;-)

as i said chernarus is small, compared what is possible. A dayzmap could be thousands of square kilometers big, if someone map it

http://www.crydev.ne...t=87249&start=0

This is one of the most biggest maps created under CryEngine3, and i think cryengine still can handle a map like chern ;-)

I went through the whole thread, didn't see anyone mentioning how large that terrain was. And I think the performance of the map was pretty bad.

I didn't see any mention of it either actually, some pretty nice assets though, but yeah no mention.

I have heard of custom maps in cry engine that are over 30 km across...but never the size of arma maps. Its the only engine i know of with that size of map with the same amount of detail

You can get it up to over 80x80km if you want, or even more, but it lag a bit with current gen computers, yeah. But if you've seen my post previously that a map slightly larger than Chernarus is perfectly possible as I tried it with a height map extracted from arma 2 (albeit with no objects yet due to time constraints, but those scale very well and are quite optimized :))

I think Dayz would be brilliant with this engine but you have to think about how much of the game can be put into this engine. Could there still be a hunger and medical system? What would happen about the map? make a new one? If the game were to use this engine then it could take a long time before its up and running and some of the systems may have to go. you would need to weigh up the pros and cons for changing to the CryEngine3 and decide on which is more beneficial!

Of course you can script such a system lol...

Edited by Hulahuga

Perhaps people don't realize how much content DayZ borrows from the existing ArmA 2 libraries. One does not simply conjure up DayZ on CryEngine 3!

Furries are not allowed to have opinions. Out.

As much as i would LOVE to see dayz on a engine like frostbite or cryengine, i thinkb the ArmA III engine is the best bet. It looks way more optimized, and pretty, and can handle a lot of terrain, npcs, and objects.

I hate than games rush into graphic not into gameplay. Not everyone is enought rich to change PC every year to keep be able to play something. More universal game enginee is crucial, and less resources it need its better. Because bring to game large group of players not always with uber PC's.

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

For me it's Cryengine3 > Unreal > then Arma thingy.

I hate than games rush into graphic not into gameplay. Not everyone is enought rich to change PC every year to keep be able to play something. More universal game enginee is crucial, and less resources it need its better. Because bring to game large group of players not always with uber PC's.

Actually, Unreal and Cryengine run BETTER than Arma thingy.

Edited by Again_Dejavu

For me it's Cryengine3 > Unreal > then Arma thingy.

Actually, Unreal and Cryengine run BETTER than Arma thingy.

But can they handle everything dayz needs. Think about how big maps can be in arma's engine. Plus no one has played the latest update of the engine so you don't know.

From a game designer standpoint i find this topic pretty insulting. It's like gamers pretty much think that everything has to do with the game engine used and that the people behind the game are basically incompetents that need a pre made engine to do anything.

Pre made engines are a convenience and a gain of time, but they are really not what makes or break the game.

Dayz had been announced that it is going to become a stand alone! Hope for an engine change :)

cry engine 3 sucks, hit has no gun physics you can shoot a guys 10 kilometers by aming on hit. there no realistic movement and other stuff, no interface usw.

so thats bullshit sir

cry engine 3 sucks, hit has no gun physics you can shoot a guys 10 kilometers by aming on hit. there no realistic movement and other stuff, no interface usw.

so thats bullshit sir

so thats bullshit sir

No?

You can script ballistics perfectly well if you want to... And I am pretty sure the current system is quite solid as it stands though.

However peeps, BI and him are making it as a standalone now, so that means that they want all the spoils, and as a result ArmA 3 engine... Take it or leave it B)

Hey, at least we get a game now and not a mod. Engine access and removing client side script execution will do so much to help. Bummed its not on a better optimized engine, but maybe they will do something about that. Trim the fat so to speak.

WHY. WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY ARMA III IS NOT A GOOD/OPTIMIZED ENGINE. Yes arma II's engine was kind of shabby, but thats the big thing about arma III! Its engine is much smoother and much better, and now it has Physx technology for more realistic vehicles, objects etc. You can't say a engine is bad if you haven't even tried it yet. The displays BI was showing wasn't a insane rig either, so that means this is much smoother then arma II is.