oshi7

CryEngine 3 - Possible?

Saw some screenshots of a game called Russia 2028 on the CryDev.net forums. It's not the same visual style as DayZ, but shows how you can use this engine to make highly tense scenes

http://www.crydev.ne...65563&start=585

screen1lx.jpg

screen2lt.jpg

screen5dk.jpg

screen10g.jpg

screen25s.jpg

NW Airfield would be even scarier ;)

screen29o.jpg

"I hear shots!"

screen32.jpg

Get those bandits!

newtod.jpg

This. This goes to those who say CE3 is too "cartoony". Thanks for finding this project.

Edit: Now watched it a couple of times. This is how DayZ should be, if it's ever made with CE3. Would be pure win.

Edited by onguntoglu

I think it would take a lot of time and work to get DayZ on CE3, but i think it would defiantly work, and IMO would look fantastic.

The CE3 is a great engine and opens tons of possibilities and for the most part mostly everything that can be done for DayZ in the ARMA II engine could be implemented in Cry Engine 3.

However the issue with switching engines like so many people have stated is Rocket would have to start from scratch for the most part.

As much as i would love to see this, i don't think it would happen due to demand vs development time.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, if DayZ was developed on CE3 it could easily be deployed on consoles as well. (I do not necessarily think that this is a good thing as DayZ/ARMA is a PC game through and through, but it could be done)

Edited by Riordin
  • Like 2

This. This goes to those who say CE3 is too "cartoony". Thanks for finding this project.

Edit: Now watched it a couple of times. This is how DayZ should be, if it's ever made with CE3. Would be pure win.ç

That looks fucking LAME! no thanks. I think Cod already has a zombie mod or somthing.

By going on another engine Rocket has to start from scratch, learn the engine, produce every single assets from models to textures to sounds.

If he stays on RV he get to use an engine he knows, maybe sourcecode access and he get to recycle the huge asset database that Bohemia made for all their games since, shall i remind you, Rocket is a BIS employee.

As for what you call the "strafing" issue when leaving buildings.

Arma handle your collisions and the collisions of your gun, 99% of the games out there, the gun in your hands doesn't actually exist from a physical standpoint.

You cannot move properly inside a small house with a long weapon sighted, you have to lower it.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 2

Lol, this thread is like watching people argue about politics or religion. Everyone on both sides is spouting uninformed b.s and ignoring, discounting and just plain insulting anyone who posts intelligently. This explains a lot about the bandit population in the game.

• Like 2

Lol, this thread is like watching people argue about politics or religion. Everyone on both sides is spouting uninformed b.s and ignoring, discounting and just plain insulting anyone who posts intelligently. This explains a lot about the bandit population in the game.

Pretty much.

Dayz would work well on Torque3D :) but that's because it's my favourite engine so i'm biased :D In all honesty moving to another engine would be counter productive.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Arma II engine doesn't use map generation, it doesn't generate worlds like minecraft.

It generates items and AI sure, but a lot of other engine does that too.

If anything DayZ would simply work with any engine, it's just the matter of assets.

Rocket is no 3d modeller, animator, musician, artist, or voice actor.

This is because DayZ is based on the presumption of a modern world with modern guns, so in a sense they use Russian, America, and British weaponry in it because of the backstory in Arma II.

If you were to play it on a new game engine, you need a new assets, and that's about 75% of the game.

If you want a huge new map, then good luck making one.

Edited by dra6o0n
  • Like 2

Rocket is not making any assets as far as I know. The 3d guys create them if they want custom content, but yes he is currently using the large database of arma 2 stuff for the vast majority of the game, but if he means to go standalone then many, if not most assets have to be made anew, unless it simply grows into an extra thing for arma 3...

Edited by Hulahuga

Arma II engine doesn't use map generation, it doesn't generate worlds like minecraft.

It generates items and AI sure, but a lot of other engine does that too.

If anything DayZ would simply work with any engine, it's just the matter of assets.

Rocket is no 3d modeller, animator, musician, artist, or voice actor.

This is because DayZ is based on the presumption of a modern world with modern guns, so in a sense they use Russian, America, and British weaponry in it because of the backstory in Arma II.

If you were to play it on a new game engine, you need a new assets, and that's about 75% of the game.

If you want a huge new map, then good luck making one.

This.

My final thoughts on this matter:

I know that I have said I would love to see, and would prefer to see a CE3 version of this game. However, I do realize that that is unlikely. Rocket and Day Z will most likely stay with Bohemia. If Bohemia is the developer and publisher, then game assets currently used can continue to be used along with the source code access Rocket needs to really get the dev of this underway. The flipside of that same coin is that if its staying on the RV engine and NOT staying with BIS, then the engine, assets, models, etc, etc would all have to be licensed, as I dont think that BIS is just going to give them to him.

Im, OK with it staying on the RV platform. Would I prefer CE as an engine? Yes. From what Ive seen would I mind it on Unreal? Nope.

Base engine code access will really give Rocket the ability to make this game what he wants it to be, AND take care of the issues that I currently have with it, regardless of what engine is running it.

I still wish RV was better optimized though.

/thread

Unity Engine is pretty decent for a non-specific platform to develop upon.

http://unity3d.com/?overview

http://unity3d.com/unity/

There's a section for animation... So I think this engine has a animator.

EDIT: Actually this engine has 'pre-made' motion animation that can be applied onto skeletons.

EDIT2: The dude says with Unity 4 they are giving away the motion data with it.

EDIT3: Unity 4 Pro costs money.

The thing about DayZ is, if he does go standalone, what are the odds that he'll want to sell it for a fixed price? If so, he will have to pay royalty for licensing fee if he wants to use a freeware engine...

It won't cost him if he releases DayZ on the engine for free though.

This is if he's making money 'off' of the game, if he makes money via servers it'd be from server, not game clients, so he can release the client for free, but the server he can use separately.

I'm pretty sure Unreal engine 3 has it's own list of assets you can use for free.

EDIT: It looks like unity runs a asset store lol.

There will be a unreal engine 4 soon so yeah.

http://www.unrealengine.com/unreal_engine_4/

Edited by dra6o0n

Unreal 4 looks cool, but not really anything ground breaking except for the deferred ligthning (which all engines are pushing now ;)).

Here guys have some heightmaps usable in CE3 (I tested them). :)

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34679-chernarus-height-map/page__st__40#entry548982

Also ArmA 2 uses an engine called Real Virtuality 3.

Does anyone know what the player/world scale is in ArmA 2 so we can get an exact terrain height/scale in CE3, thanks.

I know that in CE3 1 unit = 1 meter and 100 generic units in max = 1 unit in CE3. I think player height is 6 feet/ 1.83units in CE3 not sure of ArmA 2.

• Like 1

dude, rocket works at bohemia, he wont change the engine, its his bosses engine, also the game will be made by bohemia so they use their own engine.

Saw some screenshots of a game called Russia 2028 on the CryDev.net forums. It's not the same visual style as DayZ, but shows how you can use this engine to make highly tense scenes

http://www.crydev.ne...65563&start=585

screen1lx.jpg

screen2lt.jpg

screen5dk.jpg

screen10g.jpg

screen25s.jpg

NW Airfield would be even scarier ;)

screen29o.jpg

"I hear shots!"

screen32.jpg

Get those bandits!

newtod.jpg

Actually that's CE2 I remember seeing this a while ago, also the video says they are working on CE3.

Check here for the CE3 screens :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russia2028/438697996164427

Edited by icomrade

Would it be possible to run the game on console if in fact rocket does switch to the CryEngine3 despite all the complications?

If it were for console alot more people will play it and buy it.

inb4pcgamersrage

Here guys have some heightmaps usable in CE3 (I tested them). :)

http://dayzmod.com/f..._40#entry548982

Also ArmA 2 uses an engine called Real Virtuality 3.

Does anyone know what the player/world scale is in ArmA 2 so we can get an exact terrain height/scale in CE3, thanks.

I know that in CE3 1 unit = 1 meter and 100 generic units in max = 1 unit in CE3. I think player height is 6 feet/ 1.83units in CE3 not sure of ArmA 2.

Cheers man!

Aight, so I did some testing.

I have now imported the 16 bit heightmap into CE3 onto a ca 16kmx16km map, and set the water level to 365m (had to since the height map didn't go to absolute black). And the result is: Chernarus, only 1km larger both north and south (something that can be easily fixed), loading perfectly fine, I can edit and play in it as I see fit. It is of course a large map, but even on very high I don't have any performance issues at all :)

The only thing that one has to do now to properly test it is to add a similar number of objects and do some optimization, both whilst adding the object in terms of object types (brush vs entity) as well as tweaking the lod and visibility range :).

To then play it in multiplayer would probably be quite easy, especially if you introduce a node based system for the server load if you want a very high amount of players.

Edited by Hulahuga

Cheers man!

Aight, so I did some testing.

I have now imported the 16 bit heightmap into CE3 onto a ca 16kmx16km map, and set the water level to 365m (had to since the height map didn't go to absolute black). And the result is: Chernarus, only 1km larger both north and south (something that can be easily fixed), loading perfectly fine, I can edit and play in it as I see fit. It is of course a large map, but even on very high I don't have any performance issues at all :)

The only thing that one has to do now to properly test it is to add a similar number of objects and do some optimization, both whilst adding the object in terms of object types (brush vs entity) as well as tweaking the lod and visibility range :).

To then play it in multiplayer would probably be quite easy, especially if you introduce a node based system for the server load if you want a very high amount of players.

"The only thing"

You have pretty much everything else to do.

Oh yeah, you might wanna make your own map since Chernarus is BIS's property.

I understand this was just a proof of concept, still, everything remain to be done. Any engine can handle a huge map by itself, it's not a feat.

"The only thing"

You have pretty much everything else to do.

Oh yeah, you might wanna make your own map since Chernarus is BIS's property.

I understand this was just a proof of concept, still, everything remain to be done. Any engine can handle a huge map by itself, it's not a feat.

I know, and that is a bit of an undertaking. But you should also consider that IF you now want to replicate Chernarus, or some other location, you just take a satellite shot with arbitrary colors, defining vegetation/ground type, then apply these as a ground type in CE3, and then just put the vegetation on auto (very easy way to do this, those of you who know your way around CE3 will know what I am talking about), and then add the buildings. Not too much work really.

Am I saying I'm trying to make money out of this, then please inform me ;). The qestion of the thread is if CE3 can handle a map/game this size, and obviously it shows some clear signs of doing that ;). Every engine can't btw...

• Like 1

Perhaps people don't realize how much content DayZ borrows from the existing ArmA 2 libraries. One does not simply conjure up DayZ on CryEngine 3!

one does not simply walk into mordor either

dude, rocket works at bohemia, he wont change the engine, its his bosses engine, also the game will be made by bohemia so they use their own engine.

Rocket in fact does NOT work for Bohemia. He did, and was under contract to them for a while when he was still military. But not currently employed by them. Listen to last weeks RoosterTeeth Podcast where he states this himself. The last half hour or so of it is an interview with the RT guys, Rocket, and Matt Lightfoot.

http://roosterteeth.com/podcast/episode.php?id=176

Rocket in fact does NOT work for Bohemia. He did, and was under contract to them for a while when he was still military. But not currently employed by them. Listen to last weeks RoosterTeeth Podcast where he states this himself. The last half hour or so of it is an interview with the RT guys, Rocket, and Matt Lightfoot.

http://roosterteeth....sode.php?id=176

Ha, good to know, thanks...

http://roosterteeth....sode.php?id=176

Dean is a game designer for BIS. Yes he works for them........ for now.