rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Can't wait to play this patch! Any ETA of when you are releasing the patch?

Antibiotics are probably EPI-PEN or the other one for broken bones. The filename does not always correspond to the actual item ingame.

I have personally seen at least 50 EPI-PENs around the world' date=' he's saying 50 players total have the item. It's clearly a super rare, separate item.

It makes me want to keep playing 1.5.7 so he never releases it. 1.5.8 sounds like it's getting worse and worse.

I agree.

Getting too spergy survivalist for me.

I remember when Day Z was fun and wasn't a game for masochists who actively hated doing anything in the game that could be considered fun.

Then don't play. I like the direction it's going in. Extremely unique from anything I've even seen in a decade + of gaming, especially mod gaming. Though maybe if you guys keep shitting on the game more in a patch thread, Rocket will code in a Bejeweled mini game for you fellas.

If you look at the loot cheat sheet, antibiotics are a separate item and have a very small (~2%) chance to drop in hospital loot drops, so lets hope that the drop rate is increased or we don't get infections super easy, otherwise there will be a shit storm of complaining about it.. who am I kidding there will be a shit storm of complains either way, lol.

Rocket's doing great things. I love it. The tears, while getting Rocket drunk I'm sure, help me to sleep like a baby. This isn't some run and gun find loot fps game. It is a sandbox, zombie apocalypse simulator based on a very unforgiving TACTICAL fps military simulator.

Best game/mod I have found in over 20 years of gaming.

Edit: that drop percentage for antibiotics is actually 0.22% chance to drop and not 2%.

This patch sounds AMAZING. To everyone complaining that its getting too spergy survivalist leave now. This isn't a video game in a classic sense, its an anti-game. It is not meant to reward you or hold your hold hand, its meant to beat you in to the ground and remind you "Life is hell now, survival is your ONLY option, and it won't be easy." This isn't a zombie shooter, this isn't a deathmatch, its a survival game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic zombie scenario.

Emergent game play abounds because of this setting and difficulty, but it won't necessarily be "fun" game play, or even "video-gamey". What it is however is an incredibly immersive experience that opens the doors to thousands of possibilities, and tons of differing strategies. It is a brutal game, it is an unforgiving game, it is a survival game.

Stop complaining, and go play L4D, you morons.

So..... I guess I'll be the one to ask it.......

How do we get wood?

:D

.... To keep fires going that is! Lumberjack simulator?

Getting too spergy survivalist for me.

I remember when Day Z was fun and wasn't a game for masochists who actively hated doing anything in the game that could be considered fun.

Then don't play. I like the direction it's going in. Extremely unique from anything I've even seen in a decade + of gaming' date=' especially mod gaming. Though maybe if you guys keep shitting on the game more in a patch thread, Rocket will code in a Bejeweled mini game for you fellas.

[/quote']

Damn straight. A game that is hard and caters to the niche players is more fun. If you can't take the heat, then GTFO. However, it isn't just about being hard. You could make zombies invincible and it would be hard, and not fun. Rocket is pushing the boundaries in a very new and interesting way. Those of you who want your fun spoon fed to you need to learn how to cook and chew your own steaks from now on. This party is just getting started.

This patch sounds AMAZING. To everyone complaining that its getting too spergy survivalist leave now. This isn't a video game in a classic sense' date=' its an anti-game. It is not meant to reward you or hold your hold hand, its meant to beat you in to the ground and remind you "Life is hell now, survival is your ONLY option, and it won't be easy." This isn't a zombie shooter, this isn't a deathmatch, its a survival game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic zombie scenario.

Emergent game play abounds because of this setting and difficulty, but it won't necessarily be "fun" game play, or even "video-gamey". What it is however is an incredibly immersive experience that opens the doors to thousands of possibilities, and tons of differing strategies. It is a brutal game, it is an unforgiving game, it is a survival game.

Stop complaining, and go play L4D, you morons.

[/quote']

manly men like yourself are more than welcome on our servers :cool:

How do we get wood?

I would venture a guess and say from the numerous logging areas and cut down logs. Maybe from the dead tree in some forest areas. Will be interesting to find out.

So now that is night time servers and maybe servers were it is raining that people will typically not join causing even more stress on the remaining servers?

Hmmm.

I hope this all works out, in theory to me it sounds flipping amazing but not sure if it will work, i hope it does since more hardcore features like this should surely get rid of those noobs that justdo nothing but act like ***** :)

This mod is getting insane. This is that game you've always dreamed of as a child. This is becoming an apocalypse simulator. It'd be cool if rocket through safe havens into the update as well.

i think some of these guys playing and complaining of how hard or how they don't like the new features should go make a cod zombie mod to play casually arcade like.

arma is a simulator, dayz is a zombie simulator.

flight sim isn't just fun it's realism. it's hard. it's not something you just pickup and play.

neither should this be.

* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

This is great! I always thought that 15 rounds in the Winchester was a bug or something that would get fixed later. Then I looked it up and saw that indeed the Winchester does have a 15 round tube magazine, but the 12 guage model doesn't actually hold 15 rounds.

Getting rid of pellets essentially makes the winchest behave more like its normal .44-40 Winchester version (which actually does hold 15 rounds in the mag tube).

Now all we need are for shotguns and tube-magazine based rifles to behave properly for loading. They don't have removable mags, just tubes where you insert rounds one at a time.

Finally... this patch gives me a reason to pick up 870s and M1014s.

PS: This game needs more shotguns. Side by sides, over-unders, Mossbergs, etc.

Man this mod rocks. Keep the patching coming. Great job guys.

The infection system honestly sounds like a really bad idea to me. If the coughing sound attracts zombies or even just other players, then getting what is basically a cold through what is most likely going to be bad luck more than anything else will pretty much pin you down in one place. Antibiotics are currently so rare that they might as well not exist for 99% of the playerbase, so it sounds like this is totally out of the players hands as far as prevention and treatment go.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they want a hardcore game or whatever, but features like this seem like they either create situations outside the players control that they cannot cope with or prevent outside of essentially idling in one spot and not playing the game if the coughing is going to mean anything at all, which is bad. That isn't to say that there shouldn't be ANY harsh conditions, just that there should be reasonable ways to cope with them and still actually play the game. I guess there is also the chance that antibiotics will become much more common, which will basically just make infections into pointless micromanagement and antibiotics into a mandatory space-filler in the backpack.

I guess we'll see how it plays out ingame, but I really hope Rocket is open to removing it if it doesn't play out well.

Edit: that drop percentage for antibiotics is actually 0.22% chance to drop and not 2%.

Good catch, i thought 2% seemed higher than what i remembered but i know it was a 2 lol.

The infection system honestly sounds like a really bad idea to me. If the coughing sound attracts zombies or even just other players' date=' then getting what is basically a cold through what is most likely going to be bad luck more than anything else will pretty much pin you down in one place. Antibiotics are currently so rare that they might as well not exist for 99% of the playerbase, so it sounds like this is totally out of the players hands as far as prevention and treatment go.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they want a hardcore game or whatever, but features like this seem like they either create situations outside the players control that they cannot cope with or prevent outside of essentially idling in one spot and not playing the game if the coughing is going to mean anything at all, which is bad. That isn't to say that there shouldn't be ANY harsh conditions, just that there should be reasonable ways to cope with them and still actually play the game. I guess there is also the chance that antibiotics will become much more common, which will basically just make infections into pointless micromanagement and antibiotics into a mandatory space-filler in the backpack.

I guess we'll see how it plays out ingame, but I really hope Rocket is open to removing it if it doesn't play out well.

[/quote']

I can see where you are coming from. maybe add a feature to "cover" ones mouth to muffle the cough noise (if it does attract z's) which will then leave one hand used up. Which can hinder weapon handling. Or something.

But regardless, this is a mod. He can do whatever he wants with said mod. He even said that this is pretty much the only way to experiment without putting a development team in harms way of failing. Something along those lines lol. I agree. If devs do not take a leap of faith, then all games will soon be nothing but the same. Rocket can and will experiment with this mod to his liking. And since we are not paying anything for this mod, we really do not have a say on this untill it plays out and is released.

I hope that an infection is not common, and only happens when in water too long or in the rain for too long. Especially with the drop rate of antibiotics.

Even if the drop rate goes up at the hospitals, there's still only 3 of those throughout the game. If you could find them in every house, yes, it would marginalize the system. Between temp, infection, and hopefully improving comms ingame, I'm very interested to see how the game evolves.

* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas

What does this mean? Some kind of new communication features?

I think zombies will react to voice. ...And possibly text chatter?

I think you are likely right and, if so, is this a further nail in the coffin of the in-game direct comms, given the exisiting problems with it for those not using the OA beta patch?

From all the time I've spent on DayZ (on mainly EU servers), I haven't come across anyone using direct comms, amongst those that have mics, either because they believe it's bugged or, more often, because they're using something like Mumble/Teamspeak (not just clans/friends, often for the whole server). I think that's a shame because I think it's potentially a great in-game feature and I love the idea of calling out in the dark or in a desolate suburb on direct chat, either to look for help or initimidate.

And all text chat is pretty much confined to the side channel. Does text work on the direct channel, if someone's in range? I heard it has been fixed but haven't been able to confirm it, personally.

I know the plan in a future update is to disable global chat, which I think is great, but I fear an in-game disadvantage to direct comms will push even more people to use the other clients such as a server IRC channel, teamspeak, etc.

I know we can't stop people using voice-comms that are outside the game, which are already hugely advantageous in coordinating compared to those just using in-game communication, but I think making in-game voice comms suffer penalties will further hamper spontaneous teamwork (often borne out of brutal necessity to survive) which I believe is one of the great strengths of this mod, and what's led to some great stories.

i think some of these guys playing and complaining of how hard or how they don't like the new features should go make a cod zombie mod to play casually arcade like.

arma is a simulator' date=' dayz is a zombie simulator.

flight sim isn't just fun it's realism. it's hard. it's not something you just pickup and play.

neither should this be.

[/quote']

Yes, this mod has a bit of an identity issue to Arma newcomers. The mod should be coined as a "zombie apocalypse simulator" so that people can set their expectations accordingly. This would get rid of arcady gamers constantly complaining about difficulty and harsh features. On that note:

Attention casual gamers! You already have 90% of the gaming market catering to your demographic. This game should not be turned into yet another run-of-the-mill, middle of the road, accessible experience just for you.

So uh' date=' I got a bit carried away...

Updated Changelog:

* [NEW'] Chance of catching infection the lower your temperature

* [NEW] Chance of catching infection from already infected players

* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection

* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny

Will you eventually rebrand and remodel the 1866 slugs into .44 rimfire? Also as someone else asked, why are you making it even less desirable to play at night? As it stands already, only the dedicated or desperate play on night servers. I enjoy doing so since I have NVG, but I'm not sure how dedicated I can really be if it gets any worse.