RSF TheCapulet

[GUIDE] City Sized Maps - WIP

I'm going to work on these occasionally. The Psd is linked below. I'll link updated icons as we need them. If anyone wants different towns or diff views just ask and hopefully me or someone else can put it together. Eventually the plan is to have all points of interest mapped. But to do that I'll obviously need a ton of help. So don't hesitate to load up new maps if you're capable and have the time.

This is a WIP view of cherna, half done.

chernoWIPmap.jpg

Full Size: http://ihiopc.com/chernoWIPmap.jpg

Here is a WIP view of Elektro, nearly done.

Elektro.jpg

High Res: http://www.ihiopc.com/elektro.png

[Map Project PSD, 7zipped]

http://ihiopc.com/mapproject.7z

• Like 13

I think this could be put in the game as well maybe? Something like a very rare survival kit, which includes city maps with points of interest, etc?

holy shit this is THE map, or would have been :(

Ah well the resources you put up for download should have ppl finishing this. Thanks for uploading it !!

Awesome work, dude! Good job!

May I suggest making the markers a bit more understandable? Your Residential marker, for example, to me I don't even know what it's supposed to look like. Other than that I applaud your work! If you want help mapping out cities/towns and other locations let us know how we can help!

I've edited the OP. Take a look before it moves to the newbie forum.

//HAVENT YET. ON TABLET, BLEH.

I respect players that do this to help the community. It takes patience and commitment to do anything right.

That said, I feel like too many games these days have all their aspects too well documented. There is a map, a guide, a how to for every ingame thing, mechanic or hurdle. It takes the magic out of finding something for yourself just because you decided to take a peek in one shack.

Sure, people can choose just not to use these resources... but they are like huge SPOILER ALERT buttons on forums and we all know everyone just clicks those anyway.

• Like 1

Awesome work! My only complaint is that it is quite difficult to distinguish the individual icons at a glance since they're all white on red.

You should use different colors for similar things, for example stairs, ladders, ropes, could all be orange, wells/harbor blue, gas stations green, hospital white with a red cross, etc. That way it would be far easier to quickly find something specific, and less time looking at maps means more time to not get eaten by zombies in-game :)

In any case, keep up the good work!

got a hi res of berezino? :P

I'll give it a try. Might have to split it up between the town and the docks though. It's one of the largest settled areas on the map.

Moved and Stickied

This is great for new players.

Thanks. :)

Just imagine being able to scroll into Cherno and seeing the HQ map you've made with all the locations marked. It'll be a navigators wet dream come true.

That's the plan. But I've never messed with any interactive map APIs' date=' so it'll be a new project for me.

I respect players that do this to help the community. It takes patience and commitment to do anything right.

That said, I feel like too many games these days have all their aspects too well documented. There is a map, a guide, a how to for every ingame thing, mechanic or hurdle. It takes the magic out of finding something for yourself just because you decided to take a peek in one shack.

Sure, people can choose just not to use these resources... but they are like huge SPOILER ALERT buttons on forums and we all know everyone just clicks those anyway.

I actually completely agree with you. And I feel the same way. When I don't have a map IG, I don't generally use one (nor do I have too, all that often) outside of the game.

But we have to remember that we're only one solitary type of player among dozens of other types of players. And some players find it too difficult without a map. That's not to say that they aren't trying hard enough or are particularly bad at tactical FPS or adventure/survival games, but instead it's just simply another play style to cater to. And while I don't use out of game maps most of the time, I can sympathize with those who do and help them out a bit as a fun little side project.

Awesome work! My only complaint is that it is quite difficult to distinguish the individual icons at a glance since they're all white on red.

You should use different colors for similar things' date=' for example stairs, ladders, ropes, could all be orange, wells/harbor blue, gas stations green, hospital white with a red cross, etc. That way it would be far easier to quickly find something specific, and less time looking at maps means more time to not get eaten by zombies in-game :)

In any case, keep up the good work!

[/quote']

Thanks! And I agree. My plan is to change the icons out pretty quickly with something a little less stylized/more useful. These icons were actually just based out of some open source pack I found, and I just threw in white'ed-out stencils of what I needed. I'll get around to making a more robust icon pack soon.

the aerial one of berezino' date=' is actually incredibly helpful, from a scouting pov. can we get the others like that or?

[/quote']

Sure. Berezino is actually like that because it's such a massive area, I can't get it all in top down view without multiple views (Which I may do anyways). But I hadn't thought of how the view could be useful outside of normal application. I'll deff try to get a few more shots like that of the most important coastal cities and perhaps some of the in-land as well. Which cities/areas are most important?

And thanks everyone for the compliments! Elektro should be useable atm btw. And as I or other people finish maps, be sure to always pick out errors or missing POIs and post them here. .

Well mate! Good job!

I'm stealing this and adding to Polish site ofcourse I'll add link to this thread!

If something contact me if you'll add more!