rocket

Hotfix Build 1.7.2.3 Rolling Update

Same as everyone else really, so far problems include:

• Very long loading- sometimes up to an hour, seems to be load dependant
  • Severe FPS drops in built up area's, takes a while but as stated elsewhere, even a beast can be brought to its knees, I had drops as low as 10 FPS.
  • Stationary Zombies, Zombies spawning in triplicate, Zombies spawning close by, cycling through available skins and then disappearing, Zombies generally ignoring players, areas devoid of Zombies for long periods of time. Zombies are too handsome.
  • Loot, when it actually spawns, seems to be about perfect, other than the good old ammo clips refilling on reconnection, and the rather annoying amount of time it takes for loot to actually spawn into an area you have just entered, is this intentional and/or related to the hoppers? People are now hopping server restarts due to the large amount of time it takes for loot to respawn.
  • No Gillies or Camo anywhere so far, unless they are ultra rare, which would be epic.
  • Several of my friends and I are having almost game breaking graphical glitches, The contrast shifting while in a forest between dark and light is eyeblindingly horrid, I'm having huge polygon shaped artefacts stab my eyes to death and gamma flicker also kicks in regularly and forces me to use tears of the Gypsy to allow vision again. I think these may all be Arma related, but nonetheless many factors worse than anything else DayZ ever throws at me.
  • Axe hit box seems nerfed or at least very glitchy, making careful placed shots pointless, as the Zombies will hurt you a little bit every time you use an axe.

It will be a beautiful and amazing moment when this game can be fully realised with an engine built to facilitate the game play as you envision it.

Sometimes its just the simple things like a server browser with a favourites tab, hit boxes, collision mechanics, terrain and weather factors etc. that can make all the difference to games like this that have a core game play mechanic so well defined, if not fully fleshed out yet.

• Like 3

Have all the stated problems with fps drops, sky-high artifacts (seems to be barbed wire model)

Also lost all the stuff that i packed into three backpacks and placed into tent. An hour later, backpacks are still there but completely empty. Think the server restarted in the meantime

my impressions in comparison to 1.7.1.5

performance: top!

zombies: flop! suggestion: decrease rang of sight, increase range of audibility (in this version they are more or less deaf)

it should be a risk for everyone to shoot a gun in town and in my opinion, sneaking is useless in this version because the zombies will see you anyway.

While zombies are still not perfect I think this is an improvement over 1.5, I think it's right it should be line of site dependent over sound as let's face it they are mindless things so sound unless they can relate it to something to attack should not aggro them, line of site on the other hand,,, if they see you expect to get attacked. The nice improvement is it seems easy to lose them running but you risk yourself getting exposed to murderous players, so I feel it's an improvement in the right direction.

Killed a cow today, gutted it, but couldn't take the meat out of it =/

no option was showing when i hovered over it or scrolled my mouse. ( i know how to cook meat so it wasn't my lack of knowledge)

• Like 1

yeah the action icons seem a bit funny, in 1.7.2.3, esp for animal carcasses.

And i strongly agree with the ppl who've said zombie line-of-sight needs tweaking down or made less weird, but that audbility needs to go waaay up. Shooting right near most infected with their back turned won't do shit. But sneaking into any area is now almost pointless, the infected will spy you from miles away through objects seemingly at random. I know they investigate small sounds without getting triggered, but overall detection feels mismatched in 1.7.2.3

awesome work though, still loving the game.

EDIT: reading the post below... Yes, sometimes that helps, but sometimes it doesn't do anything.

Edited by buttersoft
  • Like 1

Killed a cow today, gutted it, but couldn't take the meat out of it =/

no option was showing when i hovered over it or scrolled my mouse. ( i know how to cook meat so it wasn't my lack of knowledge)

one have to run away for 20-30 meters and come back to carcas. Then it works again

doing my best to get her pies

that's the spirit Rocket, her pies are the crustiest tuna-mayo this side of the tropic of cancer

Edited by Sandy

....but my point is they shouldbypass the childish complaining aboutzombie distance and focus on the people with detailed reports because yes its more reading but a more in-depth guide of whats happened .....

People ARE giving detailed reports on the current random chance of being seen by a zombie from an extra long distance because it is a new feature that is detracting from enjoyment aka is broken.

The original set up was that if a zombie was aggrovated it would attack but otherwise woulds & could still see you, this caused a nice build up of tension, the current set up is you can run (not crouch run) past 10 or so zeds for them to not even respond yet other times in prone & not moving a zed will see you from 100's of meters away and make a beeline for you.

This broken mechanic ultimately leads to you coming to the conclusion that it is not worth wasteing 15 minutes or more to be stealthy as eventually you WILL be seen by that randomised eagle eyed zed. Its easy to loose it going benny hill style going in & out & round & round buildings, you may pick up 1 or 2 on the way but most will ignore you now. That to me seems obviously broke & has completely killed the stealth element, surely that is worth reporting & asking for it to be changed asap, no?

....., sky-high artifacts (seems to be barbed wire model

I second this observation. Often seen at the seaside towns (kemenka size) and never in the usual spawn location but will include low level/junk items such as tin cans, makarov ammo, whiskey bottles etc.

Edited by Turk
  • Like 2

I've noticed random deaths occurring for no reason. Usually when stood near trees, you end up dead on the floor with full blood. Guaranteed not just some sniper kill from far off. Also died from standing next to a tank trap.

Got this yesterday. One moment I was happily lying under a tree, the next, a broken bone noise and dead. My death screen still showed 9600 blood. I may have moved slightly just before dying, as I was about to leave the tree. But other people have experienced similar deaths in previous patches, and I think it's just the Arma2 engine. Can't those environment kills be disabled? They do more bad than good.

For a proper DayZ bug: I ran to my corpse with my new spawn and looted all my stuff. Then I took a break and logged off 10-20 meters from my old corpse. When I logged back on, everything in my main inventory I had picked from my corpse was gone. My backpack (with contents), weapons and maybe 50% of my toolbelt were there. But the main inventory only had my bandage and painkillers.

I recently had an MP5A5 in my possession, with 3 clips. I then found a MP5SD6 without specific SD clips, switched these weapons, and I could happily shoot in ultra-silence mode. Then I found a bison and switched to it. Later I switched back to the MP5SD6, and lo! It would not recognize the clips I still had that worked perfect before. I dunno what is the bug: should it accept the ammo, making the latter state the bug, or shouldn't it accept, making the first state the bug?

Also, I've read somewhere that these 19x9 parabellum are convertible from M9 ammo and such, yet I didn't find any way to do it.

On the whole, an awesome update!

I have to disagree with the zombie aggro issues in general - we play in a group of 5-7 all moving around together so we pick up swarms of zombies unless we're really, really slow....

Right there is why you haven't experienced what others have. I'd go as far as to say your opinion was useless in all honesty.

If you think being spotted whilst prone & not moving by a zombie over 100meters away spot you with ease and come running yet at the same time between 5 & 10 closer zombies as little as 3 meters away do NOT see you is "ok" then I guess we can end this conversation now :)

Obviously if you are in a group you will never experience this as you say you will always aggro zeds regardless but think of it this way:-

1 person spending 15-20 minutes sneaking past groups of zombies, the tension builds up over these minutes as they squeal & moan when you get to close almost ready to scream for you so you go prone for 5 minutes not sure if you were seen or not the zeds are screeching away, you eventually get a block away from the safety of the building you had your eye on when back in the trees but just before you get there you turn the corner and boom a zed spots you SH1T !!! RUN!!! -

thats a buzz now change it to:-

you begin to stealth round zeds, you go prone & don't move as theres a zed 5 meters away, it walks on by not a sound next 1 spots you so far away you weren't considering it a threat, screech you get up & run , run some more oh why aren't the closer zombies moving or even grunting?

This sucks, i can run around without any probs except for this 1 zombie, hmm somethings broke, oh well i'll cheese the game and loose this zed by running around a house or through it then pick up all the stuff i just passed once that eagle eyed zombie is stuck inside walking slowly.... zzzzz <--- that is exactly what i did in zeleno last night, it was boring as hell. Before it'd take me 30 minutes to go 1 end to the other, this time i went up and down 3 or 4 times for thehell of it running without being spotted as i'd lost the zeds in the supermarket so i could search every house, shed & doorway without any hassles once i'd got rid of eagle eyes.

Which of the 2 sounds more fun?

Edited by Turk
  • Like 1

Noticed static zombies last night, they just stood there. They made noises but just ignored anything around them. Not sure what caused them to do this as we stumbled into them - they were despawned after the player that spawned them shot my buddy disconnected - they didn't react to the shots at all.

The stealth elements are pretty bunk now, spend all that time sneaking around then one just randomly sees you from around a corner 150meters away (?!!), he runs at you *bang bang* he goes down. The zombie 20m away doesn't pay any attention to the shots but one 75m away starts pegging it at you. :huh:

3 of us approached a deer stand last night. Next thing we know there's a massive population boom in the area! At first we thought it was 3 zombies per person but they just kept appearing, I didn't get a solid count on the numbers but there were more than 9.

Quick bit of feedback re: this patch.

(All of this played in the day)

• Zombies aggro from 150m if crouched/standing/walking meaning any sojourns into a town have to be initiated prone from way out. Quite painstaking gameplay.
  • Zombies sometimes can see through walls it seems. I was occasionally aggroed by a zed from the other side of a wall when prone and immobile ?!
  • Not sure if zeds can hear. It seems all zed detection is primarily based on sight at the moment, and whether I'm loud or not has no discernable effect.
  • Performance is good.
  • Loading/joining speed good.

Quick question for Rocket/devs: When zombies spawn around the player, are you using something like

(position player)

then moving them to a random location around the player in the script controlling it? Very rarely, I see the zombie flash up in front of me when it spawns, and then it disappears (as it is distributed to a position around the player).

If this is the case, could you use

[(position player) select 0, (position player) select 1, 5000]

and then assign them randomly (or something similar)? I was going to have a poke around in the pbo's to see how it's done, but I haven't really had time yet.

Overall though, DayZ is heading in the right direction. Thanks for the continued development!

EDIT: I know it's not DayZ responsibility, but the HDR is pretty shocking in Arma 2. If anything can be done and you have any sway over BI, then tap them up about it please.

Edited by Horde
  • Like 1

some more feedback...

zombies seem to be deaf ... but there's a quirk...

went crouched and running, stopped in a place and shot with winchester an infected going in a random direction. the infected around him and meters away from me don't reach. The moment I start moving again in crouched position, some zombie 50-100 meters up on a hill looking to my direction aggroes.

It's like between standing still and moving again, for a split second i'm registered as running and standing up or the visibility is the maximum...

Already reported something similar in which when a walking zombie decides to turn around the moment it's supposed to turn it's like it can see anyone that was behind him no matter if player is prone or not. one saw me as I was on the street behind him prone, not moving, about 20 meters away. The moment it decided to turn and go back it aggroed.

also... was almost night, went into a large barn near Dolina (the one near the lake/pond), was inside... heard the infected scream and was in the center looking at the doors to see when it comes in and half a minute later he hits me from behind, with half his body in the ground

Edited by mariush

At first I was annoyed by the spidey-sense Zeds, but I've learned to deal with it to a point where I barely get aggro (or even at all).

Simply crawl all the time when entering an area with Zeds and avoid open areas (like roads, grass-less ground, parking lots, etc) when a Zed is looking in your direction (yes, even from 100+ meter away).

You can crouch run just fine, but Zeds looking in your direction will definitely spot you from miles away (that's why you should crawl,it has the least chance of being spotted, lest you lay flat on your belly in an open area).

After figuring this out, I have a very hard time believing anyone that claims they got aggro from a Zed that was behind a corner 150 meter away, despite laying down and not moving at all. I haven't had that happen at all the past few days (and all I do is scavenge small towns).

• Like 1

For those complaining about Zeds chasing you from a large distance, just make them lose sight of you. Its a LOT easier to lose them now than it used to be. I do it all the time, now my trips into more populated areas are a lot faster for it too.

That being said, I've run into the following issues repeatedly:

- Massive desync and sometimes lag (generally on a per-server basis).

- Getting stuck on the "Waiting for host" screen.

- "Wrong version" errors for servers that are listed as being the correct version.

- Zombies spawning and vanishing right in front of me.

- Connecting to the game as a "fresh spawn", even though when I last logged out I was somewhere else with gear and alive (fix for this is to "respawn", you'll come back as your original character).

Have not run in to any other real issues outside of those. I do like the new Zombie behavior.

• Like 1

One of my buddies got a free trip to the coast. Spawned near Balota airfield so he went to the military camp to try and get a decent weapon. So he manages to get in without much trouble, climbs up into a deer stand. All I hear over TS is "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!". Turns out there was a zombie he hadn't spotted at the top of the deer stand, thankfully it wasn't looking towards the ladder and it never saw or heard him, he climbed back down and carried on. :D

I spent 4-5 hours playing this weekend and not a single thing I did was saved. Multiple 1.7.2.3 servers were used but none of the things in my inventory were saved over multiple play sessions. Is my account bugged?

No your not bugged the inventory system is fubar atm ... having to pick guns up drop them put them in bag pull them out and equip them or I am loosing my stuff on log out at night.

I'm still stuck at the loading screen, why are some people able to get in fine whilst others cant get in at all, is it due to data corruption on the players end, or is it just random?

At first I was annoyed by the spidey-sense Zeds, but I've learned to deal with it to a point where I barely get aggro (or even at all).

Simply crawl all the time when entering an area with Zeds and avoid open areas (like roads, grass-less ground, parking lots, etc) when a Zed is looking in your direction (yes, even from 100+ meter away).

You can crouch run just fine, but Zeds looking in your direction will definitely spot you from miles away (that's why you should crawl,it has the least chance of being spotted, lest you lay flat on your belly in an open area).

After figuring this out, I have a very hard time believing anyone that claims they got aggro from a Zed that was behind a corner 150 meter away, despite laying down and not moving at all. I haven't had that happen at all the past few days (and all I do is scavenge small towns).

people need to learn to just honestly report what happened. exaggerations don't particularly help to testing process. I've been spotted from pretty far away, and I think once from behind a building, but never while prone

For those complaining about Zeds chasing you from a large distance, just make them lose sight of you. Its a LOT easier to lose them now than it used to be. I do it all the time, now my trips into more populated areas are a lot faster for it too.

That being said, I've run into the following issues repeatedly:

- Massive desync and sometimes lag (generally on a per-server basis).

- Getting stuck on the "Waiting for host" screen.

- "Wrong version" errors for servers that are listed as being the correct version.

- Zombies spawning and vanishing right in front of me.

- Connecting to the game as a "fresh spawn", even though when I last logged out I was somewhere else with gear and alive (fix for this is to "respawn", you'll come back as your original character).

Have not run in to any other real issues outside of those. I do like the new Zombie behavior.

I've had these exact same problems too.

Also, the last time I died, I respawned inland, with no gear at all, 8000 blood, flashing hunger and thirst and next to the body of a well equipped player. Very odd.

also... was almost night, went into a large barn near Dolina (the one near the lake/pond), was inside... heard the infected scream and was in the center looking at the doors to see when it comes in and half a minute later he hits me from behind, with half his body in the ground

I've noticed this bug too in previous patches (and this one). Sometimes the zombies just walk through the steps instead of on top of them to get into the large farm buildings, so they look like they're sticking out of the floor. Hopefully will be fixed around the time they stop zombies from walking through other walls :D

Honestly my only issue with zombies right now is when they stand around and don't agro at all.

As mentioned, it's ridiculously easy to lose them at the moment, just run through some bushes and they get confused easier than a blind guy on a merry go round. :P

I was running around one last night and he just stood there growling.. it was pretty pathetic, actually. ;)