rocket

Bandit/Survivor Morphing to be removed

You will find skins around the world' date=' that you can wear if you choose.

[/quote']

I am far more excited for this than I have any real right to be. I really hope that your dev crew has considered making a super rare model/skin to find that is basically one of the black shirt PMC guys with black trousers and the head of Arnold Schwarzeneggar, complete with equippable ray bans.

Call it the Dr Kimble.

Maybe add a buff of sorts to positive "Humanity" levels' date=' such as higher degrees of blood (endurance).

[/quote']

AHHAHAHAHA no.

after defending my self against someone who shot at me then getting shot at by another person minutes after cause i got the bandit skin, i welcome this decision!

Skins are lacking, and it will add much more to the ambiance if people look different. It adds personnality to people you meet, and remember skins is a small preview of what the person's personality is, and what their intentions could be... I'm not saying you can read the person's exact motives, but it's a small preview, and it's cool :p.

But like rocket said, the game does need something along the line of humanity but not the bandit skin system. In a real apocalypse you wouldnt just morph like a power-ranger when you kill too many people.

I think it's a really good thing. Yes it's nice to see who is evil but it's also nice to know the guy next to you could be anyone!

This is good news' date=' sort of a wild card I think, this will end in one of two results:

1. Players will shoot EVERYONE they meet on sight...

2. Players will be more inclined to team up, and less intimidated by what someone looks like

Obviously the initial greeting of 2 players will be as thin as ever, but this will give all those "self defense" bandits another shot.

[/quote']

What he said. For some reason I think it's going to be number one. Though I do like the removal of the bandit skin overall and it may be that the bandit stigma just needs to be removed from view itself to get players conversing again.

This is good news. I don't see how it's useful at all. Seeing how killing in self defense will give you a 'bandit' skin, there's no telling who are really bandits and who are not. Certainly not a basis to trust or distrust someone.

Can we start calling them "clothes" to fit the mod, rather than "skins",

its taking away from the realism.

Not a fan initially of the idea. But willing to try it out and give feedback to make this the best it can be. Bring on the DayZ deathmatch.

I'm just wonder who is going to use these bandit skins that you can find in the map.

I don't agree with people saying that this will end in all out death match. I bring some of my ethics into my gameplay (even though it is a game). The CoD generation will no doubt be doing a lot of shoot to kill as a reflex, but I think this will make everyone even more cautious, not homicidal. Former bandits will no doubt continue on killing sprees but the onus is on people who don't want to kill for the fuck of it to figure out whether they trust someone. Even with the bandit skin system I wouldn't trust survivors (they just haven't killed anyone yet!), but I'd either let them pass by not knowing I was there, get a friend to keep em in the cross hairs and then go in and say "hey", or just bite the bullet and hope I'm a faster shot if shit gets nasty.

Trying to imagine what it would be like in the zombie apocalypse I reckon you would distrust all strangers and put a lot of faith in those you know. Any friends you earn in DayZ land will generally have to earn the friendship, and you will have to reciprocate. I think this basic psychological tension (and Rocket's dogged approach to the authenticity of the mod) are what makes this alpha better than most complete stand-alones in terms of gameplay.

Now I've had my rant, I'm sure no one will read it cos after 42 pages who really gives a shit anyway. ;)

One thing i want to know is, are there going to be more than just the 2 skins? o.O

Its covert action to make people buy Private Military Company DLC so they wouldn't see blurry textures of default skin :D

The bandit skin is absolute no great future. I`v been killed by 1 bandit, and like 8 survivors so far. Being a friendly player, with all the survivors who killed me I have lowered my weapon. Hell, I even just ran away without fireing a single shot. The next time someone aims a gun at me, I try to kill him first. Does that makes me a bandit? No, just defending myself.

'm afraid it will just become a deathmatch, which i wont like as much as the current state, but after reading the rest of rocket's posts, i'm all for experimentation, so let's do it.

I think my issue with this is, it doesn't add anything to the game, it only cripples the already challenging cooperative aspect of the game.

I know some people have unjustly become bandits, but this doesn't make it easier for them, it makes it harder for them - and everyone else. Most often survivors would identify someone as a bandit before opening fire, but now I expect most will just open fire instantly. I know I will.

If the soul of the game is reflected in the frontpage trailer, it will be gone after the patch. The trailer portrays a 100% cooperative effort to survive in a zombie infested world, but there will hardly be any of that after the patch.

Just think about it: what's the best way to identify friendly group? If you and your 3 friends live through apocalypse, wouldn't you find the way to put similar clothes on you so you can better identify yourself? it is one of first elements of social management and I'm impressed that devs are putting this in. This is going to be HUGE.

Now, to counter DM problem (btw, its already seen on servers) I suggest putting lower weapon easier to use. Like overriding "space button" or something or maybe add action in the menu "lower weapon". Most people don't know the key for that and they don;t even know its possible. It could be good way to show that you are friendly instead of aiming in the head of guy and writing "friendly" on chat.

If the soul of the game is reflected in the frontpage trailer' date=' it will be gone after the patch. [b']The trailer portrays a 100% cooperative effort to survive in a zombie infested world, but there will hardly be any of that after the patch.

Did you see the "Paranoia" and "Betrayal" parts? I think it's an accurate portrayal of the tension between players and many trust issues in game.

Can we start calling them "clothes" to fit the mod' date=' rather than "skins",

its taking away from the realism.

[/quote']

They are literally different player models or skin replacements. :huh:

If the soul of the game is reflected in the frontpage trailer' date=' it will be gone after the patch. The trailer portrays a 100% cooperative effort to survive in a zombie infested world, but there will hardly be any of that after the patch.

[/quote']

I never got the impression that it was 100% cooperative from the trailer. The Paranoia and Betrayal parts pretty much spell out that inter-player conflict is a big part of the game.

Anyway, I'm keen to see how things pan out with this change. Sure, survivors will become less certain of who the dangerous players are (but it was far, far from certain before, I think we've all been killed by non-bandits), but I think a lot of bandits will be less inclined to shoot on sight.

I can see where Rocket is coming from with the whole bandit skin thing. Once you're a bandit you are forced into certain behaviours, namely shooting anyone before you're shot on sight, and that seems to be against what he's trying to achieve with DayZ.

Maybe it will turn into a massive deathmatch, or maybe it'll bring more opportunities for cooperation for those who have got a cooler head when comes to encountering people in-game. We'll just have to see how it pans out.

If it does make cooperation less common then I'm sure Rocket will adjust things accordingly. One thing's for sure, there are a lot of bandits out there for whom cooperation simply isn't an option, and some of them could be valuable allies in any number of situations.

Me, I'm going to play the way I've always played; avoiding people generally but helping out those who need it when my instincts tell me it's safe, and doing everything I can to not have to kill anyone. Killing people is easy, determining trust is hard. In fact I think that finding trust among all the anarchy and cheapness of life is the greatest and most satisfying challenge in this game. YMMV.

This doesn't sound like a great idea. I'm all for realism but you still need certain things that can be considered un-realistic.

This is going to lead to shoot on site or people just staying solo because they can't trust anyone.

The whole bandit thing i thought was a good idea because if you saw them you could choose to engage or stay well away. It added a fun element to the game. True i've been killed by more survivors than bandits (most shoot me in the back, cowards).

I will stick to how i play it and hope i still find friendlies. It will make me harder to trust them and if i find most just shoot on site then what am i going to do? I'd have to do the same.

It is still alpha and the whole point of player testing if to balance these things out. So i hope it does work out and it does work. To be honest though, i can see it being a deathmatch.