rocket

Bandit/Survivor Morphing to be removed

Well, I'd say, go for it, if you feel like trying it. Just have some kind of back-up plan to get the thing rolled back with "minimal damage", should things get out of hand.

I guess the current system is a bit flawed, but still, without it, like some others here, I fear things might get a bit hairy. From a point of a lone survivor, I think the game already gives a big advantage to bandits. Specifically if you play without any voice comm. Try to type something in the chat, and you'll just be making yourself a stationary easy target. The guy who is willing to pull the trigger and empty the clip to your head on sight already has the upper hand. So the communication on encounters surely are a frantic, paranoid game of hide and seek, gun pointing, and "friendly?" texts. And that's with other people wearing survivor skins. At least in those cases you might sometimes be willing to risk the chatter (and also most often get shot for it). Take away the skin difference (which already is very little guarantee) and the result will be even more of the shoot first, ask later.

Considering that I'm already starting to get frustrated to getting constantly sniped by bandits and shot at point blank range by people with survivor skins - and bored after collecting the same stuff over and over again - and once done with it, having nothing to do but to hide in the woods or get myself killed in some town... And the only thing keeping my boredom in check and preventing me from going about to create mayhem is mainly that I wish to keep my humanity and the survivor status (skin). Take away that incentive, and well... I just might relieve my boredom by going to have some shootouts on the coast.

So if my current survivor logic is generally:

a) Try to avoid other people, both survivors and bandits.

b) If you happen to have a clean shot at a bandit, take it.

(And for bandits it seems to be: Take the shot)

It's probably now going to be:

a) If you happen to have a clean shot just take it, no questions asked.

Nothing will change for the bandits, at least the dedicated ones, they'll still shoot everything that moves. So things will get even more difficult for the survivors. They'll be targets for both the bandits and even more to each other. The balance will tip even more for the bandit game style.

The added amount of spawned zombies already made survivor life harder, and bandit life easier. ('cos the real bandits won't bother scavengering villages, they'll be just sniping the survivors doing that, and having to avoid the added zeds just makes one an easier scope target, and mistaking in shooting the zeds will certainly tell every bandit where you are).

I was originally kinda hoping the added zeds would have added the need for survivors to band together, but in the end, it just made it a much harder for survivors to successfully loot towns without getting shot (and incidentally caused the framerate on my oldish quad core to dive to 10 fps or so near the zed hordes) :P

The whole realism aspect of this can be forgotten - Its not realistic that a person changes appearance if he has killed someone - but neither is is realistic that ppl are polygon-faced clones who's tone of voice cannot be heard nor any other subtle cues can be seen. Nor is it realistic that a person can start a shootout with you and once both of you are dead, just hit the respawn button until he respawns close enough to your bodies and then run to loot them. So no, the game is not realistic as-is, nor will it be any more realistic by preventing the appearance change. If you really would want realism, then the lives should be persistent - if you die, you really really die and cannot play the game again. Now, that would actually make the bandits re-think about whether they're willing to start a shootout :). The current penalty of having a bandit skin is really nothing compared to that. So the realism aspect... pff.. forget it. The skin change has nothing to do with that. If anything it added a little hint of realism (by having at least some penalty for the bandit's starting shootouts, since they don't really have to fear for their loss of life).

With all this said, I slightly fear for the game turning even more from surviving the zeds and other players - more so into a TDM between the few somewhat organized bandit groups, and some lone gunmen (the previous lone survivors) thrown into the mix... All shooting at each other.

But as if I would know where it actually leads to - Maybe even to a brighter future where all people try to co-operate in an atmosphere of mutual mistrust... We'll just have to wait and see. :)

Yeah, those bandits skins are not working as they should, try to remove them, we will see ! Maybe this test will give us some ideas on how to make the humanity system work better. Not a big message who gives idea or shit, but you got one more ipinion maybe you need alot of em' to make descisions !

have a good day

Also... ENOUGH ABOUT THE MAIN SERVER!

Waiting for host' date=' waiting for response.... requesting character data....

The main server isn't even breaking a sweat, fuckers. It's the local servers getting fucked because you guys keep DDoS'ing them. ArmA2 wasn't designed to have thousands of people trying to connect to one server by spamming the enter key.

[/quote']

Is BIS able to fix this issue then?

The bandit system seems little artificial right now, so maybe it's not a bad idea to see it go in favor of finding new clothes. It would be cool if some new additions would come with it. For example military skin would give you some more damage resistance, a coat could keep you warm during rain (when the temperature feature will come into play), and so on. As for the bandits - right now we are all in the same team. Maybe after killing someone you should be automaticaly assigned to the opposing team, with their own side chat and so on.

1. Bandits couldn't track you based on the chat with other survivors.

2. When you would aim your crosshair at them their names could appear in red.

This would balance the game a little bit and would keep both sides organized and better separated from each other without changing their appearance.

Being a good person now became even harder. Bandit's life is easy - just shoot to everyone, no difficult decisions "shoot or don't shoot". This is going to be the World Of Bandits. Definitely, humanity has to be rewarded some how. May be health or armor bonus or something - I don't know. Otherwise, I'm afraid, "silent guardian" means some useless numbers in stats. I'm expecting life expectancy will drop down dramatically. But let's wait and see.

I never really killed a survivor because i did not want the bandit skin and be a target many people shoot at when they first see me, now that it does no have a visual effect, i probably will kill more people. I think it will have a negative affect but you never know.

-Making the game 1 shot kill with the makarov would make it very intense too, wont make it better though.

High humanity players should be able to show this (voluntarily) to other players. Like giving out a white flag of surrender to players above xxxx humanity.

just differentiate the loot so that in bigger ,more fancies cities you'll find better loot,but change the zombie ratio so that in these cities there will be A LOT more zombie that in less loot-profitable cities/places.

so even if you can't tell if someone is hostile or not,people who want better loot will be forced to cooperate with other survivors even if the usual reaction would be "shot first and ask later",while if someone wants to be a lone wolf (being a lone survivor or a lone PK/bandit),as chances of surviving just staying away from the big cities,but with worse/scarcer loot.

things can be interesting when you go to a big city with a big group trying to get big loot,and people begin betray each other for the more interesting loot,while being aware that less people around means more zombie-to-kill ratio for anyone.

make it so you can see the humanity of other players on regular servers, easier to identify?

make it so you can see the humanity of other players on regular servers' date=' easier to identify?

[/quote']

this change is made so that you CAN NOT identify hostiles on sight

Thank god. I've been a bandit for so long, and it's so hard to go back due to people just shooting me on sight! I've had to continually play the way the game force me to simply because of a fucking skin! My current humanity is -20,000 because i have to fend off every person i see.

I am so glad rocket saw this problem and is going to fix it. Fuckin awesome.

This sounds like the end to cooperative gameplay.

I'd like to shoot a few people, but I haven't so far because of the bandit skin. Not only will that deterrent now be gone, but it will be gone for the other players as well, making it downright stupid not to shoot people on sight. That is, as long as there aren't zombies around.

IMO:

Fuck the skins. I don't care about having a different skin.

Give the players the ability to see the humanity levels of other nearby players.

This sounds like the end to cooperative gameplay.

I'd like to shoot a few people' date=' but I haven't so far because of the bandit skin. Not only will that deterrent now be gone, but it will be gone for the other players as well, making it downright stupid not to shoot people on sight. That is, as long as there aren't zombies around.

[/quote']

you're right,that's why i've proposed this

just differentiate the loot so that in bigger ,more fancies cities you'll find better loot,but change the zombie ratio so that in these cities there will be A LOT more zombie that in less loot-profitable cities/places.

so even if you can't tell if someone is hostile or not,people who want better loot will be forced to cooperate with other survivors even if the usual reaction would be "shot first and ask later",while if someone wants to be a lone wolf (being a lone survivor or a lone PK/bandit),as chances of surviving just staying away from the big cities,but with worse/scarcer loot.

things can be interesting when you go to a big city with a big group trying to get big loot,and people begin betray each other for the more interesting loot,while being aware that less people around means more zombie-to-kill ratio for anyone.

that way you'll force people who search for people to cooperate with instead of just kill everyone in sight

Thank god. I've been a bandit for so long' date=' and it's so hard to go back due to people just shooting me on sight! I've had to continually play the way the game force me to simply because of a fucking skin! My current humanity is -20,000 because i have to fend off every person i see.

[/quote']

Another happy bandit. How did you get bandit skin? Let me guess - "It happened by accident, I just shoot people in self defense". I don't believe in this crap. If I see a player with bandit skin - I shoot on sight. It's a good reason for me to play this game because I hate bandits. But now it will be impossible to find out is someone bandit or not (so called "realism", huh). How long I should watch person to make decision?

Thank god. I've been a bandit for so long' date=' and it's so hard to go back due to people just shooting me on sight! I've had to continually play the way the game force me to simply because of a fucking skin! My current humanity is -20,000 because i have to fend off every person i see.

[/quote']

Another happy bandit. How did you get bandit skin? Let me guess - "It happened by accident, I just shoot people in self defense". I don't believe in this crap. If I see a player with bandit skin - I shoot on sight. It's a good reason for me to play this game because I hate bandits. But now it will be impossible to find out is someone bandit or not (so called "realism", huh). How long I should watch person to make decision?

I'd shoot guys with CZ rifle --gun's only good for shooting other players.

A player moving towards gunfire is probably up to no good.

Basic kit guys with only a mak anywhere inland. They got nothing to loose, everything to gain from a pk.

Basic kit guys with only a mak anywhere inland. They got nothing to loose' date=' everything to gain from a pk.

[/quote']

The main problem I have with the current and maybe coming system...

I am very nervous about this change. But the bandit system is NOT working. And fuck it' date=' let's change it and see what happens? If it is more stupid, then I will roll it back. No harm, no foul. Lets do all the stupid shit now, before this gets too serious.

What do you guys say? With me on this? I mean honestly I don't know how this is going to go but the existing system is pretty shit.

[/quote']

All I will say is that its gonna turn in pure PVP because If you have "hard to find" rifle you ain't gonna group up with noone.

I'm all up for removing the bandit skin. Kinda silly idea from the beginning.

And would be nice that you could mix up current skins. With this i mean you could wear doctor jacket and have farmers pants on and pair of riding boots with a cop hat. OK that sounds silly, but i think you get the idea here. But ofc the playability comes first and tweaking later.

But i'm all up for the removal of the skins as they are now.

EDIT: oh and btw. It seems already that ppl will shoot on sight. Last night i went to Cherno store, i was upstairs when ppl came to down stairs with some zombies chasing the. They managed to kill the Zeds and came upstairs. I looked at them and made not even a one gesture that i'm hostile. And bang they shot me straight away. Same happened to my buddy who was unlucky enough to being shot by same survivors.

[/quote']

A lot of people get bandit skins from self defense. Including myself.

I was walking north of Electro and there was a bandit and his two survivor buddies who opened fired on my friend and I. We dropped immediately and counter fired on them, killed them both along with the bandit. I got turned into a bandit. Then every single time afterwards that I found a survivor, I was shot on sight so of course, I had to kill the guy before he killed me. I would never kill anybody if they didn't know where I was.

But regaining humanity was way too difficulty since nobody would let me near them or transfuse them. I'm glad for this system. Now I can probably coop with people and at least if somebody kills me now, it's not because I have some shitty skin that I didn't deserve to get.

I am very nervous about this change. But the bandit system is NOT working. And fuck it' date=' let's change it and see what happens? If it is more stupid, then I will roll it back. No harm, no foul. Lets do all the stupid shit now, before this gets too serious.

What do you guys say? With me on this? I mean honestly I don't know how this is going to go but the existing system is pretty shit.

[/quote']

In theory this change will add more intensity in the game world, I like the idea of it, I really dig being able to choose skins.

Perhaps those with evil intent will opt for the more menacing looking skins (if there are such skins)

I know one thing, meeting people post 1.5.8 will be fraught with even more dilemma.

I'm all up for removing the bandit skin. Kinda silly idea from the beginning.

And would be nice that you could mix up current skins. With this i mean you could wear doctor jacket and have farmers pants on and pair of riding boots with a cop hat. OK that sounds silly' date=' but i think you get the idea here. But ofc the playability comes first and tweaking later.

But i'm all up for the removal of the skins as they are now.

EDIT: oh and btw. It seems already that ppl will shoot on sight. Last night i went to Cherno store, i was upstairs when ppl came to down stairs with some zombies chasing the. They managed to kill the Zeds and came upstairs. I looked at them and made not even a one gesture that i'm hostile. And bang they shot me straight away. Same happened to my buddy who was unlucky enough to being shot by same survivors.

[/quote']Pretty sure mixing outfits is impossible. If I remember right clothing is not separate from the player model. It's part of it. Creating new models would be required to mix up outfits. Talking from experience when I used to create different player models as addons, probably weeks worth of work depending on how many mixed outfits are possible.