rocket

Bandit/Survivor Morphing to be removed

You are the inhabitants of the world. I am the architect. You guys are going to decide how this world plays out.

God complex ? haha

I always wished for something more raw than STALKER ever was. And i think ArmA 2 DayZ is exactly that.

Eitherway this is exactly why i love this mod you made Rocket. Nothing is ever the same. The only constant in this game is the map. Every other situation is unique and plays out differently be it with zombies or players or both.

The most funny situation i had come across. Was a guy in a medium sized town running down the intersection in the middle of town towards the ocean. And i was standing on the road parallel to the ocean. And he had 20+ zombies chasing him. I could not stop laughing. Seriously one of those loony tunes moments. Tried to help the guy but zombies ate his brain. I killed off the zombies and looted his dead corpse.

The thing is, you will fuck the balance as it is now. But lets just try it.

I think there are ways to achieve both, a way to craft/find/loot skin wear, AND a Bandit/Survivor system, you could actually solve this without destroying the balance.

It was cool to have factions while it lasted tho, now it will be all vs all.

babies.

I really, really want to find woodland camouflage skin

• Like 1

Man you guys are a bunch of cowards. I FOR ONE SUPPORT THE NEW SKIN SIMULATOR.

SCREW YOU TF2 I HAVE DAYZ FOR FASSION NOW!

Haha I totally need the Takistani Commander skin! It would fit perfectly with the Idi Amin personality.

Arma2_TK_commander.jpg

All vs All is kind of the point i think.

You could still have a survivor / bandit system. But the skins/clothes where to obvious for that.

Just a teeny tiny change in the skin to distinguish a bandit from a survivor would be better. Basically the skins would look the same but up close theres a small difference to distingish someone from survivor or bandit. Be it colour change or hat worn different doesnt matter. Just a tiny insignificant feature to the skin/clothes.

This way you would still have this balance because people are always curious. And you actually have to get upclose before you realize who is bandit and who is survivor. Perhaps this would increase the interaction between players as well.

...I just see the bandit system as a form of false' date=' yet effective discouragement towards wrong doings, you know, not unlike religion!

[/quote']

But don't you see. That's the point. Why am I implementing that? Isn't that your job? Cmon guys! How long have we been ASKING for games that let the gamers call the shots! I should be focusing on providing the platforms/mechanics for you guys to decide this balance, and fight about what that balance is.

There's the AHA moment. I see where your head is at now. Good stuff.

On account of this feature being removed is there any way to get a rollback for characters that were teleported to the ocean upon change in this version (1.5.7)?

But don't you see. That's the point. Why am I implementing that? Isn't that your job? Cmon guys! How long have we been ASKING for games that let the gamers call the shots! I should be focusing on providing the platforms/mechanics for you guys to decide this balance' date=' and fight about what that balance is.

[/quote']

I absolutely understand where you're coming from, and I like the concept I just don't agree. I guess I'm a bit jaded to the fact that I think since it's a video game, the majority of the people will err on the side of sadism. Think about the Milgram experiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment), but from the aspect of the test subject inflicting pain, at points fatal amounts of it, to someone they cannot see. Without seeing the direct result of your sadism, you're freed to be more sadistic, and our 3D models, even the HD PMC versions, aren't giving us identity or familiarity, you don't get to like or dislike people by their character models, especially not with the limited Arma 2 models.

I just worry that this isn't giving people the freedom to make a world that they want to make, it gives people the freedom to kill everyone and everything as they would in any other FPS multiplayer game.

I just truly hope I'm wrong and you are right, and judging by the success of your vision so far, I imagine you have a good point. I've just played a number of different games for a long time and know that ultimately, game communities of people will disappoint you with their shittiness. EDITED: Similar to how they have already disappointed you with the cheating, hacking, and exploiting. The reason why there are only limited amounts of that is because you have set a precedent that it is not tolerated, and will be punished, creating a factor discouraging others who might consider hacking to not do it as they do not want to be banned or have their servers banned. I feel like that's a decent analogy for murder and the admittedly flawed bandit system. I see removing the bandit system completely right now without a replacement to be similar to you guys saying "We're done banning people and revoking servers for hacking and exploiting. We want you, as the players, to make that moral decision yourself."

I don't really think it matters who is wrong or right, so long as we keep trying different things and not go full-retard and insist all the answers are here already just because the mod got some press coverage. That's really all I am asking.

I'm right, but i won't share my knowledge of the rightness until i am presented with 10 high grade military weapons and 3 magazines for each.

It's not about the press conference, it's about the thousands of new players that have joined this community who might be from more immature, or cut and dry DM communities, who might relish in this new world to just go bananas.

For what it's worth though, I completely agree, the answers are not all here, but this massive debate on the subject is a productive thing, even with the petty aspect of it, because it's allowing people to articulate a lot of their thoughts and opinions, and even ideas that you may not have seen yourself (such as a person suggesting the dog system on a stream chat).

It's really an insult to the experiment of this project and this decision to write off the people who dislike this as complainers or carebears. It's just opinions and viewpoints that you, or others, might not have seen or considered, just as people who are all about the removal of the bandit system and explain why are giving different view points.

I think the debate and ideas that this decision has created is interesting and really pretty great.

I thought it would be helpful being able to identify bandits by skin, but it really doesn't.

The one time I was able to exact revenge was when I saw a bandit kill someone and start looting. As I ran up to do him in, three zombies came around the opposite corner. He shot them up and I shot down everything else left standing.

I would have killed that bandit (if I could!) skin or not. It was obvious that he was a killer by his actions.

Since people can shoot someone once in a while then up their humanity again, as many have said, everyone is a threat and anyone is a target. Suspense.

L

I see removing the bandit system completely right now without a replacement to be similar to you guys saying "We're done banning people and revoking servers for hacking and exploiting. We want you' date=' as the players, to make that moral decision yourself."

[/quote']

Yea this is how I see it too. As much as I agree with Rocket's reasoning about 'letting the players make the game' the problem I see with that is that w/o boundaries or some 'rules' there are those gamers that will abuse the freedom. Unfortunately there are those out there (kids) that arent interested in a game but are more interested in ruining the enjoyment for others. What I like about DayZ is I think it appeals to the more mature gamers particularly. A lot of kids wont have the patience for it and would prefer to run around in a COD-fest. So meh, maybe in view of that there wont be too many kids on DayZ ruining it for others... Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this pans out and imo nows the good time to try things while its still in Alpha & Im happy to give it a go.

Any idea on what kind of skins we can expect? Anything official/organised looking or just various civilian outfits? Sorry if this has been posted already.

Well this settles it! I will be sending you tears in mailbags every time I kill some dude not in a bandit outfit.

But shit, just do it. This is the time to test things. Change it all. And mix things up. Thats why we are here in an Alpha isn't it?

Oh and no polls please. I think you will get the big picture from the countless forum threads and hate mail.

Keep fighting the good fight and bring us the stuff we need. We can have the stuff we deserve later. And I want a bat cape.

What Weenus said. You were the one to ask us Rocket, lolz.

It would be pointless to ask us if you are the one who is not going to care about our opinions.

I guess what would be like super keen is if the ga e allows for custom appearances ad hoc. I'm guessing that it's really full model skins, so you could find a whole "outfit" that would essentially change the appearance of your model.

Having the ability to mix and match shirts and jackets and pants or hats/helmets would probably be impractical, straining on the database and really downright impossible.

Still, I can imagine something like... Wearing articulate colours to try to blend in... Attempting camouflage with scrounged assets. Organized groups could start to have uniforms and maybe even logos or what have you...

Skins will be cool, though.

L

Yeah, it's important that I note that despite my gigantic wall-o-texts (sorry I like to articulate my ideas), I'm still completely along for the ride here and I'm playing this game regardless of what happens. I respect Rocket's vision and his opportunity to experiment ideas trial by fire, I'm just voicing some points and suggesting some ideas.

I do read all the opinions. And try not to take what I say too seriously, all the time. Sometimes I like to have a little fun :)

I do read all the opinions. And try not to take what I say too seriously' date=' all the time. Sometimes I like to have a little fun :)

[/quote']

People are going nuts with your architect comments, the funny part about it is the people taking it totally out of complex, but I appreciate your occasional trolliness. :cool:

Mh... I like the idea of being able to find your skin instead of it being decided by some number.

I am however very intrigued by how you're going to be using the humanity levels instead, then.

Let me reiterate a very key point I keep trying to make:

You are the inhabitants of the world. I am the architect. You guys are going to decide how this world plays out. Don't compare this to other games and look for different balancing mechanics. This is an attempt at something different' date=' it is an experiment. There is no balance, other than the balance you will put in. I will put in the features required for you to either destroy this world into mindless PVP, or create something else. Don't look to me for that balance, because I will not give you it. We started this in a particular way, we're going to finish in that way.

[/quote']

Since there is no balance, can you tone down the fog so I can actually use my sniper rifles effectively? Thanks. :)

And in case this isn't clear, being the internet and all, this is a sincere request.