Sign in to follow this  
kaz (DayZ)

Tent duration after death

OK, i'm new to the forums, so LMK if this is in the wrong place.

I read the wiki, and it stated that camping tents despawn "6+ days" after the owner's death. Does that apply only if it hasn't been saved, or do all tents despawn some amount of time after their owner has died? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having tents?

Thanks,

-Kaz

Doesn't the tent poof if the server resets anyways? I just put them up in dumb places for that reason and never use them for anything.

1 day after death. Have to save the tent again if you die to keep it from vanishing.

1 day after death. Have to save the tent again if you die to keep it from vanishing.

Did not know this, so you can keep it up indefinitely as long as you keep saving?

Can you still pack it up?

Edited by Whattteva

It's a little bit offtopic but I'm just curious if it's the same with vehicles. Are they bound to you and your last save?

Untrue, I have tents in several places on our server that have been there for weeks without me visiting them and I have died many times over those weeks.

so, saving a tent(or vehicle) means that it will stay around indefinitely, sans glitches or other players?

Untrue, I have tents in several places on our server that have been there for weeks without me visiting them and I have died many times over those weeks.

If you haven't visited them, how do you know they're there? ;)

Edited by kaz

We had a camp near black lake, which we abandoned a month ago.

I went there last night and the tents are still there after weeks.

We had a camp near black lake, which we abandoned a month ago.

I went there last night and the tents are still there after weeks.

Maybe players keep looting them, so the server keeps them around due to their activity.

I would also like to know if tents stay indefinitely.

Tents never go away right now. Ever. This has been confirmed by the developer who was "supposed" to implement their de-spawn mechanics.

I'm not feeling like digging around for the post right now, but he basically said "I never got around to making them disappear."

Tents are permanent as of now. Unless the developers wipe them from the database manually they will never, ever go away.

Destroyed tents will come back.

Packed tents will come back in their original positions even if you put them down somewhere else.

etc., etc.

The only effect of death is that you will no longer be able to pack tents that belonged to you.

I can confirm this. Visited my old camp after 3 weeks and the tents are still there, with everything we left in it.

Since tents are server based, I wish I knew how the (MySQL I'm guessing) database was setup that stores tent info, I'd make a tool for server admins to run once a week to clean up tents that either players have already died or haven't been used in a weeks time (not placing an item and removing it, but actually SAVED) but since I don't run a server I shall never know how it's setup, but making such a tool would probably "be against the server hosting rules" but I don't see why it should be because honestly it helps the server run better. This bugs me because I have old tents in my camp from where I died I no longer use and want gone but alas they are like roaches, they survive everything including a nuclear blast >_<.

Edited by kicktd

I planted a tent two days ago and died afterwards. It's gone now. Is that because I didn't save it?

What do you guys mean with "saving tents", would be nice with an explanation :)

Necro thread is necro. You realize the last reply before you was in july?

There's no longer manual saving, vehicles and deployables stay on the server until removed by destruction or by the admin.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So in theory, does this mean that if i deploy a tent it wont be removed unless someone else finds it? How can i destroy a tent btw?

So in theory, does this mean that if i deploy a tent it wont be removed unless someone else finds it? How can i destroy a tent btw?

Unless someone else finds it or an admin purges the deployables db table for whatever reason.

You can repack tents via mousewheel if they're yours, if they arent, you can run them over with a car.

on my server its 7 days if your tent is untouched. So if you die, just remember to have a fiddle with your tents at least once a week and they will be fine. (I think 7 days is the default btw)

So let me sum this up. If i place a tent it will probably never be removed unless someone destroys it but everyone can loot it?

tents are only exclusively yours if they aren't discovered :P

after you die you can still put gear in and take gear out and it will save the gear. Just if you forget about it and don't go back to it in 7 days (or less if some admin for some reason has it set to less in options) it will disappear