dnoparker@gmail.com

My first murder and now I feel guilty

You obviously shouldn't feel guilty, if you ever get into a situation like that again, and you didn't shoot, you would've just been reset back to the Beach.

Sadly, you can't trust anybody in this game, and if you think just shouting friendly would help, it doesn't. Paranoia has spread across the lands of Chernarus and you soon will understand.

overall 2 players are more likely to be spotted by bandits then 1 alone sneaking around I would say. Unless very well coordinated...

more people means more mess which means lower expectancy of survival... just a feeling.

If your group is big enough, your expetancy of survival is incredibly high. Started playing with one friend. Now we roll with 6-8 people which allows real tactial operations and movement.

When me and my mate played the first days, we had no good guns, little amounts of food, medi and tools. The zeds had torn us apart more than one time. Many people tried to shoot us.. everywhere. It was scary but a great experience, even though it was quite hard to survive more than a week. Times have changed since then. Fixing cars, heading for heli crashsites or overtaking NWAF is what we've done lately. This is not comparable to a group of 2 survivors or even a lone wolf. In my opinion, playing in a group will nearly elminate the chance to starve/dehydrate and if you use decent tactics, it will be a great benefit on firefights as well.

• Like 1

At one point I was sneaking around Cherno in the middle of the night, and I popped into the church to see if anything was there. As I come back out and start to go around the corner, there's a guy kneeling there with a pistol, illuminated perfectly by the moonlight. I paused for a moment, waiting to see if he would continue around the corner so I could avoid attracting zombies. He turned towards me in that sudden snap I've come to know as somebody recognizing you're there, and in almost the same instant we unloaded on eachother. Luckily, my G17 was a little better than his Makarov when it comes to unloading and I only suffered a single body shot. Sometimes I think about this incident, and I comfort myself a little by thinking that at least he fired the first shot, even if only by a milisecond.

• Like 1

It surprises me at how many people are actually playing as survivors and not bandits! When I first began playing, I tried making friends and playing the good guy. I gave that up. Very quickly. It seemed quite evident that standing still, holding down the Caps lock button and asking if they were friendly almost always ended in death. My death. Me asking them if they were friendly just gave them some time to line up their sites and put a hole in my head and steal my beans. Now, when I see a survivor, unless it's a friend I shoot them as soon as I get the chance. I don't necessarily do it for the fun, however it is quite fun watching them drop, I do it for safety. Now I always hear people go on about how they "don't have a gun, don't kill me you asshole" or whatever, but if I don't kill them then and there, eventually they'll find a weapon and they'll be as much of a threat as I am. But anyway, just my way at looking at things.

IMO you should always feel sort of bad for taking somebody's life. Even if you killed him in self defence, and he deserved to be killed.

It's when you stop feeling (a little)bad about killing others; then your heart grows cold and you cross over to the dark side...

• Like 1

when in doubt there is NO doubt shut that mother down... ;)

YYyyyyeah, some dude sneaks up prone behind me with a hatchet, he's getting a bullet to the head. And I wouldn't feel bad about it in any way.

If I hit the torso and knocked him out, I might bandage him so he stops bleeding. That way, when he wakes up and starts to crawl around, I can get better aim and put a bullet in his head like I meant to the first time. If I had a blood bag, I might transfuse him while he's out. That way, I get some +humanity (don't forget, the variable is still there) and will know that I won't kill him by shooting him in the leg first, to prevent him from running away.

Just shooting someone doesn't teach any lesson. Gotta be creative. Maybe not "drag to a pen of barbed wire and throw cans at him" creative, but...

• Like 1

I simply can't fire the first shot. Have only done it once, a guy was carrying around an Enfield at the firestation and my buddy told me to shoot him for fear he was a bandit. Ended up getting a murder not a bandit kill. I still remember his name, RangerDan,

• Like 1

Something that the bandits out there, and those with a sick, twisted like yourself, Brew, might mind amusing is when you knock a player out, get someone to epi-pen him, then as soon as you do that, get the other person to scroll and click drag. You now have a new pet! Unlimited fun! I have about 30 screenshots of me and 2 other friends with out new pet.

"Friendly" is a system generated from fear. People who want to play together are in fear of other players and zombies. People who want to horde gear together. The only time you're free in this game is when you don't care about your loot or if the guy next to you is going to pull the trigger after staring at the back of your head for what feels like an eternity.

That being said, anyone in Cherno? :P

I was at the military camp next to the airstrip west of Cherno. Had just started playing (for real) after installing, and was lucky to get the beach spawn close by. Anyway, I had watched enough videos and had a map showing loot locations, so was jazzed when I was so close to 4 deer stands.

The zombies were all dead near/in the camp, but I didn't see anybody around, so started searching. I went through all the tents with no contacts of any kind (and no loot...). I went into the first deer stand, and found a couple things, but nothing too exciting. The next stand, I found an AKM with ammo!

Just as I'm about to go back down the ladder, I see 2 guys enter the camp! I saw them turn my way (in the stand) just as I dove for cover. I'm sitting there, really hoping they go somewhere else before coming to my stand, when I see the 1st guy climb up...

All I can see is that some variant of the AK, and he's seen me...also with an AK. I unload on him, killing him before he even reacts...

I wait a few seconds, but the 2nd guy never shows himself, so I peek over the edge, and he's prone at the base of the stand, noob backpack on his back, and *Nothing* equipped, not even a melee or flashlight. I know none of that matters, so figure I'll grab some of the guy's stuff while I can. I end up with a 1911, binocs, canteen, watch, more AKM ammo, etc etc. He also had an Assault Backpack(?), but I felt like I'd already spent too much time. I looked back down at the 2nd guy, and he's still down there, moving occasionally, and still very helpless...

It was then that I realized they were probably friends, and the 1 guy was helping the 2nd guy get gear and oriented in the game...I felt pretty guilty for probably smoking the "guide", and leaving the new guy helpless with probable respawns soon. I proceeded to climb down, and watched the "noob"(?) watch me leave....probably shitting bricks over what just happened...

I still feel a little guilty over that, but I'd probably do it all the same if it happened again. Maybe the first thing to die in a zombie apocalypse is trust..

*Murders: 1* =(

• Like 2

I felt bad the first and only time I killed someone. I was traveling to elektro trying to find my friend...when I came across this guy in the woods. I shouted "Friendly, don't shoot I just want to pass by!" He started to fire his AK at me. I popped a Lee Enfield into his chest and he went down. I stood there speechless...I walked to his corpse and saw he had food and water bottles. He was trying to survive just like everyone else and was only trying to get by safely...I noticed I could check his pulse and he was fine, just knocked out from my rifle. I was scared, I knew he was gonna end up getting up and firing back at me. I had a choice, book it to elektro or kill him. I panicked and pulled out my handgun. Shot him twice in the head, ending his life. Right before I shot him I said in direct. "I'm so sorry..." I took some food and left the rest of his stuff...I figured he could find it and I'd be gone, with little to no chance of him being able to chase me down.

People don't realize, this may be a game...but it plays with your emotions...you will panic for real...you will feel guilty to no end....you will have paranoia as well. The team did a real good job of making a game that plays you just as much as you play it. I don't know if I can handle the guilt of murdering someone else myself, but my teammates are able to kill anyone like it's nothing. So I'll be in good hands.

• Like 2

I was stood in a tree line scouting a village below me, I was there for a good few minutes trying to plan my scavenging mission when I heard something move to my right. I turned to find another player sneaking up to my feet prone. He held a hatchet in his hand and I immediately pulled the trigger on him without hesitation. I heard him shout 'friendly' milliseconds before I killed him.

I don't know why I had this reaction! I didn't even think. Now I am washed with guilt because I know how frustrating it can be when another player has killed you.

Did you feel guilty about your first murder?

Do not feel guilty matey, that poor bastard was about to murder you with an axe .. but with time you will get used to it. Killing survivors eventually become fun. You should see how human bodies fall to the ground in positions so strange, I chuckle every time.

I was stood in a tree line scouting a village below me, I was there for a good few minutes trying to plan my scavenging mission when I heard something move to my right. I turned to find another player sneaking up to my feet prone. He held a hatchet in his hand and I immediately pulled the trigger on him without hesitation. I heard him shout 'friendly' milliseconds before I killed him.

I don't know why I had this reaction! I didn't even think. Now I am washed with guilt because I know how frustrating it can be when another player has killed you.

Did you feel guilty about your first murder?

I wouldn't trust him, but i wouldn't kill him either, just tell him to back off and move to the destination i was going... He would probably axe you if he could and take your gear...

I shot 3 ppl since i was playing although i couldn't confirm the third because i was killed ( by obviously a bandit, because they were two and his buddy shot at my with a scoped riflt before that ).

Two were bandits, the first ran into the treeline while i was attempting to run out with a friend searching for one of our own. So there he was as startled as i was aiming his M9 at me and me yelling in TS if it was him starting shooting as he said he was still farther off. The Bandit died by 10 .30 bullets from my M14 and my friends FAL. Lucky me the guy only had a 9mm and only hurt me a little.

The first innocent person i killed was just because they were in the same town as we were and we didn't want to take the risk because our group as larger then theirs. So i took the shot and realized after killing him on the roof that it was a still innocent player. I didn't hit the second one so my friends did him and spared me from beeing a murderer. I felt bad first but what would have happened if we came along later and they were already on the roof spotting us...?

I dream t that i was being chased by a girl in a crossbow while i had my crowbar weapons and stuff and then i out ran her and i ducked down under this building and then all sudden i teleported out somehow and then i saw the girl trying to aim at me and i sprinted as fast as i fricking could!! And then i woke up ^-^

I've learned to shoot first, no use risking ur life. If they say friendly it doesn't mean anything, just shoot. Although, my first one was on a helpless survivor running around, and i had no guilt :)

Just like others I have tried the "friendly dont shoot first" approach only to be out right murdered for a bandaid about 8 out of 10 times. So now I generally avoid any and all contact.

I got the mod two weeks ago and I committed my first one last night . And I did feel a little guilty about it , but the fella left me no choice. He kept advancing on me when I was cornered in a house with one door with no where to go. I said in direct chat leave or get shot and he kept getting closer. He saw me strait across from him with a semiauto shotgun aimed at his head and he still kept slowly creeping closer. Needless to say my shotty out performed his hatchet.

I felt bad because when I checked his corpse he had just the hatchet with no food or water. He might have just wanted some help or to look at the little bit of gear I had, or maybe to bury a hatchet in my skull. He may have just been trying to get further away from the door so infected wouldn't see him.

He may have been a hapless noob that didn't even know how to respond back, but I just couldn't bring myself to take any of those chances.

So sorry fella if you happen to read this it wasn't personal, I didn't want to kill you , you just left me no other choice in this paranoia filled game. I do actually try my hardest to avoid these situations. But inevitably everyone that plays this game will have to make these choices sooner or later.

If you come at me with a weapon in hand you're on the menu, no weapon in hand and I'll let you live every time.

• Like 1

One time a guy approached my barn-hideout on the server I play on. He was using a crowbar. He had a ghillie-suit too. He used the 'friendly' tactic. Needless to say I put a bullet into his leg with my Enfield. Then I proceeded to ask if he wanted to kill me. He said yes. So what I did was get my secondary weapon out, and put a bullet into his other leg. And then he just crawled towards the barn. I just sat and watched. So, as he got closer, I switched for a hatchet I had in my supply stash, and waited for him to crawl in. I went down and chopped him into bits. He had a full inventory of beans. Nothing else. No weapons except for the crowbar. I then laughed at him when he started raging. I never felt guilty. But it was probably my most favorite 10 minutes in this game.

I killed a guy for the first time.

He came on me with a hatchet and said Whats up in mic. My microphone didn't work so I said "Hey" and after that "Can't speak" in chatwindow. then he approched me with his hatchet and I shot and missed. Then he strafed like a lunatic towards me and I got the shot he instantly went down.

Does the Le Mfield kills you instantly?

Edited by Baltsar

You did the right move OP. Same thing happened to me but I shot a guy in the knee and dropped a bandage and a pile of wood from a distance.

This was just today, and i've only had the game for two days, yesterday I spent 4 hours walking up the coast and scavenging the area north of electro, then I died to zombies.When I respawned in Cherno today I said Screw it, I'm going into town.So with all my Metal gear solid skills I snuck into town. While raiding the super market I peaked out and sawn another survivor with a markaov entering, he hadn't seen me, so I yelled friendly and aimed at his head ( I wanted to show force, I had the upper hand and by mercy I was letting him go) I left him to loot the rest(I had gotten all I needed in alice pack) but before I left I heard Gunfire and him yelling who is shooting me. I just left him and Ran like hell using his death as a distraction so I could get out of range(not before taking a bullet to the thigh mind you) Do I feel bad...kinda.... but that guy was oblivious. he wasn't gonna survive long anyway.

A couple weeks when I started to play DayZ, I got murdered by a fellow survivor. But it happened so funny. I had no gear, nothing, just what you start with and I was scavanging this village. I see another survivor. He sees me. Nothing happens for a few seconds. Just a stare at each other. I decide to run away. He runs after me. So we sprint for a half minute or so. I try to move between trees and bushes, but he (or she) outrunned me and shot me in the back of my head. I laughed out loud. A fun way to get murdered. :)

I used to get mad, but you start realize after a while, that these are the conditions of DayZ.