dnoparker@gmail.com

My first murder and now I feel guilty

I tried my absolute best to avoid murdering and what and to be friendly. But after I had been killed around 5 or 6 times by players I'd approached as friendly, I used one of my bloodbags to help a guy who was near death only for him to shoot me as soon as he got up. Something snapped right there and then.

I respawned, and just ran straight north while contemplating my DayZ time so far when I happened upon a crashed heli. It had already been looted, but whoever it was had missed some NVG and left a Glock with a fair amount of ammo (5 or 6 mags). As it was turning night, my revenge was starting to become planned out in my mind right there and then. I waited until it was fully dark, and headed to Cherno to find people... I immediately found a guy running from zombies. He started cowering in the little train cart thing just outside Cherno. I unloaded a magazine into him from outside the cart before running from the zombies I'd attracted. That was my first kill.

Sure, it was a dick move cos he probably wasn't armed. But I don't/didn't feel guilty. What I do feel guilty for is what happened next - I ventured into Cherno after killing the guy in the train, and spot a guy via his flash light. I followed him, staying back as he was sprinting from zombies. He climbed onto a roof, I followed him up and there was another guy up there too. Both unarmed. I shot the one guy, knocking him out, while the other ran to the other side and started hiding behind an air conditioning unit. I walked up to him, pointing my gun at the unit and he got up, turned and jumped off the roof. I saw his body down below so went back and shot his friend in the head to finish him off. I then hear zombies aggro'd and running, so I go back to where he'd jumped and see he'd survived the fall, not broken his legs somehow or fixed himself and had woken up and was running away. I took about 8 or 9 shots and eventually sniped him in the leg with the Glock, where he began crawling, so I left him to be eaten by zombies.

I felt like a psychopathic badass - but it worked. I no longer feel the need to kill people and simply avoid them if I can :P

Edited by Prof Sheen

Did you do the right thing? Yes. Absolutely. You did not know his intentions before you fired, and he gave you no reason to trust him.

Should you feel remorse? Yes. Absolutely. That is what keeps you human in the post apocolyptic world of Chenarus.

I had to come to terms with a murder I felt bad about myself a few days ago. I was a fresh survivor in Elektrozavodsk that got extremely lucky and found an M1911 pistol and an Enfield in the first couple buildings I entered. I had a meeting with someone that had a hatchet but he was just watching me from about 10 meters away. I leveled my gun at him and said "I'm friendly but I have a gun, stay the hell away from me." in direct voice. He stared at me for a few seconds, then did a lean dance and ran into an alley without ever saying a word. I let him go and began checking my back side every few seconds for a while after that in case he doubled back, but I never saw the guy with the hatchet again.

I began to make my way towards the supermarket but a ways off I saw someone rummaging around inside. What's more I heard gunshots in that direction. Not wanting to get into an altercation, I sneaked into the two story diner/apartment building across the street and kept my eyes on the super market from the top floor. From here I had a great view as he checked the loot piles and I managed to identify the majority of his gear. He had the basic coyote patrol pack but he was armed with a rifle that looked like an Enfield.There I waited, hoping the guy would get his stuff and leave allowing me to go in and find what was left. About five minutes past before he finally left the supermarket. The unfortunate turn of events was that instead of leaving Elektrozavodsk he ran into the downstairs part of the building I was in. I cursed under my breath as I heard him moving around on the first floor. I quietly moved to the doorway that joined the room with the stairway to the room I was in and pulled out my M1911 (faster rate of fire and at close range that is more important then the accuracy of the Enfield). I leaned my head into the stairway room and pointed my handgun at the top of the stairs hoping against hope he would not come up those steps.

A few long minutes past that felt like a damned eternity. Several times I considered calling out to the man but I was scared because the only way out of the building was down those stairs and if he knew I was up here and he was unfriendly, I'd be very trapped. So I silently waited, hoping he would just leave. That is when I heard the footsteps on the stairs followed a few seconds later by the blue cap on his head. I hesitated just long enough to see the rifle. I could now clearly see it was a Winchester, out and ready to fire. The man turned his head just in time to see the flash from my gun as I emptied the entire clip into his skull.

He did not have time to react in anyway. One moment he was a living human that had just had brilliant luck in the supermarket, but he decided to press it, and the next he was a lifeless body on the floor. I just stayed in the doorway a few seconds, my pulse pounding, before I cursed out loud in frustration. I went to his body as his blood leaked out onto the floor and inspected it. The man's name had been simply Nick. I quickly took the items he got from the supermarket and placed them in my own pack as I knew he would no longer be needing them. I felt like a complete and total asshole as I looted what I needed. Under different circumstances I may have contacted him, maybe we could have worked together, maybe we could have been allies but I just could not take the damn risk in that situation. All I could do to honor Nick was make sure that his death was not in vain which meant I had to make damn sure I survived. I very quickly left Elektrozavodsk after that.

I'm sorry Nick.

Remember, do what is necessary, but do not forget to mourn those that have died to ensure you survive. That is what makes you human.

Edited by Sparks
  • Like 1

I was running at Balota airstrip when the guy came running into the ACT when we were there. We killed the Zeds and he came down and was all like "FREINDLY, FIRENDLY!!!? he had an MP5 SD equipped, and I was scared shitless... Well, we let him tag along a while, but when he went into prone to go under a fence, a spark lit up in me. I don't know what it was, if it was just the feeling he would soon betray us, or just out of sheer evil, but I took out my Makarov and put a whole clip in his back. His last words was "aaaaw maaaan" then the flies started flocking to him. I felt I had done something extremely evil, and I sensed a wellbeing I never had before.

I am evil now, that person, no, I changed because of it. Hope to never meet you ingame fellas, cause I won't hesitate at all any longer

Bro what was his name I have a feeling that was me......

Once again . That was really strange; I was in Cherno with 5 real life mates. Well after 30 minutes we finally met with everyone. Later we saw a guy bleeding and with broken legs . So we gave him an bandage and just when a friend wanted to give him a morphine. His friends came. He was just there to attract someone! . Well I was lucky . :D I was on facebook so i was afk 50 meters away from my buddies .

They killed all my friends someone of them wrote " That is my first murder. And i love it this way.."

Then ... I was angry. And now im a bandit for killing four badasses.

They should feel guilty for ...killing this way :o

Edited by Sureksots

Friendly in this game is like the michael jackson definition of bad it means the exact opposite..... The funny thing is most times people are bad actors and when I hear a nasally buthead sounding kid say friendly I can usually here the muffled snicker in the cadence of their voice....

generally if the term friendly is accompanied with the term "wait up"...or "hold on"....well I hope your armed well because they have no intention of doing anything nice with or to you....most friendly survivors keep to themselves and avoid conflict and if they are friendly will ask you to join them when they are on the beach and have nothing that either of you fears losing....

if there are any newer players that want some info on the game, or vets that want more info into the mechanics, I did a very detailed guide...

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22434-new-player-guide-v10/

@OP: As others have already said, you were right to kill him, sneaking up on you was the only way that axe was gonna get in swinging distance before you noticed him. As for the guilt, its a good sign, you still have your humanity.

As for my first murder? It was pretty simple, I came into the Balota ATC tower and could hear footsteps above me. I called out to whoever was there and told him to say something or Id shoot, but he kept quiet and crept down the stairs till he was directly over me on the stairs. I asked one last time for him to identify himself before I strafed out and cut him in half with my AKS-U. Strafed a lil too far though, his AKM broke my legs and he'd logged out and despawned his corpse before I was on my feet again.

Gave him more than enough chances, he could have went out the other way, down the ladder, but he wanted to shoot me. Only regret there was that I didnt get to loot him.

I have felt guilty the last day or so though. I was scavenging the factory between Orluvets and Polana when I hear AK fire erupt out the back where Id stashed my ATV. Cursing, thinking Ive just lost my wheels, I took up a position with a decent view and peered through the twilight. I caught a glimpse of someone I could have sworn had NVGs on. It was a bright night, but thinking that Id just lost my vehicle to someone so well geared that they would turn thier nose up at an ATV in good condition, I decided to wait a while instead of engaging.

5 to 10 minutes pass before I crawl out under the back wall. I opted to down the zeds along my escape route, for the sake of gettin out fast and quiet with my prized M4 CCO SD. The adrenaline had me shaken though and it took 4-5 shots to find the heads of two walkers. As the second goes down I see the two survivors crawling right at me, maybe 20 metres away. Immediately I say "Evening gents." over direct, to see how they react knowing they've been spotted, but they just keep crawling. I keep my head down and crawl to a crumbled wall nearby. "Stop crawling towards me or Ill frag the two of you." I warned them, forgetting that Id moved my grenade to my backpack to pick up tires. But they just kept comming, these silent unknown crawlers in the night. It was messy when I stood up. Most of a mag went into them before the flies came, but they never fired a shot. Between them they had a winchester, a sightless AK74 and basic supplies, what I thought were NVGs must have just been the rim of his baseball cap. My ATV in the trees nearby was also untouched, that hail of gunfire must have just been reckless fire at some zeds. I felt hollow inside, these were no badass bandits, just a couple of hapless newbies. Didnt even loot all those beans they'd collected, just walked away and spent the next half hour or so driving aimlessly along the highways, wondering if there was anything I could have done, if they even knew I was there in the first place.

The following day my ATV flipped on the outskirts of Orlovets and refused to get going once it was righted, one of the back wheels seemingly stuck in place. After a long scavenge of the factory and two nearest towns, I finally got back with a wheel to see if that would dislodge it, but to no avail. Just as I was giving up hope, I heard an engine in the distance, getting closer and quickly. I only just have enough time to get 15 metres up the hill and behind a rock, but my mind is racing, what the fuck do I do?

This is the perfect setup for an ambush, my vehicle is stuck and along comes an even better one thats gonna park right in front of my face, asking to be stolen. The green UAZ pulls up before Ive made up my mind and a survivor jumps out and onto the ATV which he gets onto the road right away, much to my dismay. The ambush implications of this must have been apparent to them too, as they were on the move again 20 seconds after comming to a stop. As my precious vehicle that I gunned down two men to protect last night drove away, I found myself saying "Ohnononononoyoudi-int" and began popping rounds at the driver. The first few miss but as one finds its mark he starts fishtailing and drove off into the field round the corner of the hill. I sprint uphill to get a clear view as the UAZ pulls up next to him, a few more rounds and I see the pink mist of a headshot. He slumped off the quad and his buddy took off winding across the field then up the road.

I didnt fire at the UAZ, I just wanted what was mine to be safe. I felt totally justified in the moment, but as I questioned it, loading his gear into the quad, so not quite as profound an experience as the previous evenings, but still. I realise that if I was driving along with a buddy and saw another vehicle just sittin there Id totally have taken it too. This guy was just unlucky that they hadnt come across it 10 minutes earlier before Id got back.

Now this was a couple of days ago now and it's still on my mind, still plaguing me. This stands testament to the effectiveness of the game, that Rockets mission to make a game that engages players on an emotional level has been a success already. Hope he keeps up the damn fine work.

Sorry for the wall of text, been wanting to start a guilt thread for a while now.

TLDR;

Kill the sneaky axeman, but guilt is good.

I be all "Say something!" they be all "...", then I be all "FINE, BE THAT WAY!" *DAKKADAKKA* :(

Guy gets ony my ATV *DAKKA* ;) at first then I :unsure: :(

I haven't killed a player in a while now, the first time i did i was just wandering along the coast line and i see a guy come running at me with a pack of z's behind him, so i start running we keep running for a while. Eventually i think i'm gonna turn around and kill these z's, so i turned around and aimed, shot and started running again and i started to not hear the z's so i look behind me and i had shot the survivor by mistake they we're eating his corpse.

I felt horrible for a while after that.

I can't fire the first shot either, that's why i'll probably always play as a survivor, not a bandit.

That's why most of the time i get shot without even seeing my attacker.

Anyway, what the hell, that's just the way i like to play, don't want to start killing people for nothing just because almost everyone else do that.

Edited by Fenrig
  • Like 1

Although the shoot on site method works for some I find another method works better for me. My rule list is if I see a guy getting mobbed by zombies I go help him unless he has a real means to fend for himself, if you spook a guy expect to be shot on site so run for cover before he fires then talk to him and judge for yourself if he is trustworthy... another tip is to always offer to give him blood I mean nobody would pass up a chance to regain all their life. Those 2 rules seem to help prevent alot of deaths due to miscomunications and helped me make a few friends. Now to the story telling.

My first murder was in the electro grocery store. I had previously died in that store and was heading over to collect my body, also in several previous fire fights 6 other bodys were present. Knowing that bandits who had baracaded every other building were in the area I went into the house overlooking it. I had a revolver armed and much to what I expected I saw a man with an ak standing in the back looting a body. I called out my friends name who also was with me when I died earlier and I got no response. Then I said, "hey you in the grocery store". This oviously spooked him and he began looking arround for a survivor but didnt think the house accross the street was enterable. He didnt respond so I knew he was in a shoot on site mentality so I opened fire through the windows and aparently although my aim was dead on pistols cant shoot through glass. He was now looking into my buildings windows but by that time I was in the hallway heading to the back door then I simply walked to the back door and shot him from the back. I managed to get all my items back, his items, and some strangers items. I'm not guilty because I gave him a chance to reply or get the heck out of there.

I want to share this too. Now I always avoid other survivors if I can. Yesteday, I started a new character in Electro. Looting inside tower of the fire station I heard footsteps outside. At this point I had a hatchet. At this point, I want to give others a fair chance, so I said "Stay away", he came up the stairs and saw with me hatched and he turned around and walked away (or ran). No one died. If he hadn't gone down immediately after glancing at me, I would have axed bye bye.

I said "thanks" after he left. A potential murder was prevented.

I was hiding in a crouch position behind a fence when I noticed another survivor dodging Z's and soon enough he was making his way towards me.

I dove and followed his movement until he went behind a building so I decided to see what he was up to.

I circled around the building stealthing as I went and sure enough, there he was! I let him go by me and followed him around the building next to a large fuel tank.

The last thing he saw was my axe buried in his head. He hit the deck and was bleeding out. The worst part was that he was still moving so I had to wack him a few more times to be sure.

That was my first(but not last) kill and I felt like shit after since he had squat on him for loot.

After being murdered several times lately myself and watching Rocket's Q&A vid, I'm happy to say that I will trust no one(except those in the vent channel) and I suggest you all take that attitude!

Don't answer any voice inquiries and forget typing in direct.

Kill or be killed...that is the name of this game...:)

Don't feel bad about killing someone, especially someone in melee range with a melee weapon, if he stayed at a distance and did a salute or something, making his presence clear, sure, but that guy definitely wanted blood and you acted correctly.

me and my mate were east of stary sobor, seeing a group of 6 people running into the town. we snook up and i managed to kill 5 of them, my mate got one of em. we owned 6 full geared ppl without getting one hit.

do i feel guilty? i feel more like SO MUCH WIN! :D

I always play as a survivor and only have 3 murders, 2 of which are from self defense. Now I just hide in the woods since I don't need to go in cities anymore.

It feels really good when you kill a bandit who has scavenged a lot from other survivors.

I was stood in a tree line scouting a village below me, I was there for a good few minutes trying to plan my scavenging mission when I heard something move to my right. I turned to find another player sneaking up to my feet prone. He held a hatchet in his hand and I immediately pulled the trigger on him without hesitation. I heard him shout 'friendly' milliseconds before I killed him.

I don't know why I had this reaction! I didn't even think. Now I am washed with guilt because I know how frustrating it can be when another player has killed you.

Did you feel guilty about your first murder?

Normally friendlies will just pass by or go into another direction to avoid any hostilities and not sneak up behind you unless it's a pretty tight/narrow spot.

I was running at Balota airstrip when the guy came running into the ACT when we were there. We killed the Zeds and he came down and was all like "FREINDLY, FIRENDLY!!!? he had an MP5 SD equipped, and I was scared shitless... Well, we let him tag along a while, but when he went into prone to go under a fence, a spark lit up in me. I don't know what it was, if it was just the feeling he would soon betray us, or just out of sheer evil, but I took out my Makarov and put a whole clip in his back. His last words was "aaaaw maaaan" then the flies started flocking to him. I felt I had done something extremely evil, and I sensed a wellbeing I never had before.

I am evil now, that person, no, I changed because of it. Hope to never meet you ingame fellas, cause I won't hesitate at all any longer

I can't stop laughing, oh my god, this game is awesome.

Brand new here so I can't say I've had to make any tough decisions yet. Certainly looking forward to it though.

I remember the first time I was killed :)) I was fairly new to the game ( only had the game for a day or 2 from what i can remember). Basicly I was in a town market looting some stuff (Had lots of loot by now) and was thinking to myself this is great loot and was excited to move on with my new weapons I looted. Suddenly out of nowhere I hear a can of coke getting sparked open and I was like wtf? Realised it was someone else near me and I said down the voice chat "whos there ?" I know its such as silly choice of words :)) like something right of a horror film :D. Anyways out of nowhere he pops out and sprays me down with his gun and takes my loot..it all happened so fast lol. I was angry and laughing at the same time at how the situation played out :D (Also I didnt hear him approach me at all before or after the can of coke getting sparked open)

Today I was with a friend and found a crash site near stary sobor and looted the L85A2 AWS and headed towards stary sobor to see if I could find some more mags for the sniper. I warned my friend that there was a guy in the big warehouse after spotting him with the scope and also warned him that from the other guys view he can see us over the tin wall but we cant see him. Anyways people up in that warehouse usually are bandits and we where gonna go kill him but move to him in prone :P My friend suddely tells me there someone in the bush across from us in prone ( He was looking to where the warehouse was so must have noticed the guy in the warehouse too ..but he didnt notice us coming prone from his side ...I sniped him dead and with no sign of the guy in warehouse we went to loot the body (friend dropped his bag to change it with the other guys) but the guy in warehouse reappared and started shooting at us ..he hit me broke my bone ...I crawled into cover and fixed myself up . Now we got ourselfs together i told my friend id cover him as he went down to kill the guy from underneath him ( as my friend approched him the guy threw a nade down and missed ...my friend poped out and killed him with his silenced gun and he took his backpack as his other one dissappeared :D It was so funny and a close call .

Another time was at (Stary the day before ) whilst looting the tents ...I was shot from out of nowhere ...broken bones and bleeding out ...my friend dragged me into tent as i was just outside it and bandaged me up ...I was 145 health away from dieing :)) Used blood transfuse and morphine on me and we then decided to run for it as we didnt know where the shots came from and how many of them there was :)

So dont trust anyone (especially near big towns and places rare loot spawns) as its usualy full of bandits :P Did I feel bad killing them ? Not at all as for sure they would have done the same given the chance.

Although I will say I met 2 german guys on my first day of playing that came from the woods with guns saying "friendly" down the chat ..I had no loot and they didnt shoot me and helped me get some loot and answered my questions about the game. Played with them till I went off :)

Edited by Massicor

I like to murder being a bandit :P I kill for fun and beans as a plus. My heart beats so fast it glitches. I'm proud of it too.

My first "murder" was in Cherno firestation tower. I was up top prone, looking out of the window in 3rd person to see what was around. I noticed a guy running towards the building with zombies chasing him. He stayed at the foot of the tower shooting the zombies. I had some nice stuff on me and didn't want to tell him where I was in-case he lied saying he was friendly and killed me anyway. Once the shots had stopped I slowly went down the tower and could see him looting the zombies at the bottom. Instinct took over me and I dispatched him with my AK. He just said "why?" and that single word made me feel terrible inside. :( His loot helped me feel a little better though. :)

The first time I was murdered was quite funny but infuriating at the same time.

I had been collecting loot for a while. Me and a friend wanted to meet and we were trying to find stuff to live in the wild with. I had pretty much everything except matches, water bottle and a gun. My friend had a gun and water bottle for me though so all I needed was matches and we would be set.

My friend then told me that he had died so I decided to go back to a barn for an empty water bottle I had stupidly left behind. I carefully crawled back to the barn with a hatchet as my only weapon. I was liking the hatchet though because I could silently murder the zombies. Got into the barn and seen a shotgun in the corner that must of only just spawned. I thought "I'll leave that shotgun until last incase I have to kill more zombies" as I start crawling to where the bottle was some guy pops into the barn, comes straight over and put's his hatchet into my skull. It was horrible because if I would of picked up that shotgun he would of had no chance, if I wouldn't of went back for that bottle I would of been away. Decision's are what save you or kill you in this game and as horrible as that death was it was my decision that got me killed. The story's your decision's make is why I love this game. :)

I have a funny story of murder and revenge that I might aswell squeeze in here.

So I had ran to Electro and looted the power station. Got my self an AK and 2 clips. A friend messaged me and said he was joining me so I told him where I was and decided to go up the hill by the power station and log out. When my friend told me he was near I logged back in and decided to have a rummage in the power station again for more ammo or some tasty bean's. When I got to the power station i made my way up the tower, looting as I went. Got to the top and BAM! Shot in the face by someone waiting for me. :( Little did he know that my friend was nearby with a load of zombie's chasing him. I told him where the bandit was and he made his way there. He had nothing to lose. When he got near the power station the guy started shooting at him. Big mistake. :) The zombie's turned attention to him and my friend said he heard a few shot's then the guy's name came up saying he was dead. :D Then my friend said someone else was in the tower too, and guess what? That guy made the same mistake too ha. Once they were both dead my friend looted them and we met up so I got all my stuff back and more. RESULT! :)

Since global chat has been disabled, how would I even say friendly now? Wrong place to ask probably but I just kill anyone I see because I have no idea. Unless they kill me first of course :)

Edited by Smokey McCallum

I am a bandit. I am not ashamed for it. I love the adrenaline when I'm hunting humans. But only in northern half of the map. Yesterday with a new character and clean slate I said that I can not be a beast. I was in the supermarket at Berezino. How do I sneak, I see guy in the corner. He not seen me. I say through direct channel: dont shoot, I'm friendly. Slowly, he turned to me and burned me with a shotgun. This game is about survival. Or you die or I die. Guilty no place here.

Play with friends, have fun and I wish to all good loot.