Tommygunz89

controversial opinion

Base raiding  IS BALANCED. Finding 6 grenades for 1 wall IS BALANCED. Having to take the time to find grenade launchers and grenades IS BALANCED. Crafting IED takes time, it is balanced. So why does everyone say dayz base building isn’t balanced? 1 word….

DUPERS…

thats it. Game will never be “balanced” as long as someone can duplicate a sea chest full of grenades. 

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

By "dupers" you mean exploiters, right? Yeah, thats a thing too. But rest assured, any experienced player can farm a crapload of ammo and grenades, enough to blow up almost any base.
What peoople complain about basebuilding is not that they want wall to hold 300 grenades or make people waste more resources in order to break in. What most people complain is that there are no defense to basebuilding while you are logged off. And in that regard, no matter how hard it is to break in, they will break in in late hours if there are no one to defend it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thundermight said:

By "dupers" you mean exploiters, right? Yeah, thats a thing too. But rest assured, any experienced player can farm a crapload of ammo and grenades, enough to blow up almost any base.
What peoople complain about basebuilding is not that they want wall to hold 300 grenades or make people waste more resources in order to break in. What most people complain is that there are no defense to basebuilding while you are logged off. And in that regard, no matter how hard it is to break in, they will break in in late hours if there are no one to defend it.

Yes but farming grenades IS RISKY you have to go to high traffic pvp areas to get that loot.

4 hours ago, Thundermight said:

DayZ is supposed to have the perma death penalty, which means you're not supposed to have an unraidable base that you can go back to every time you die and gear up instantly. 

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

We can't board up pre-existing structures (the logical thing to do in an apocalypse).  Also, and most importantly, a player will never build a base without checking an online map to see where the gas bombs land.  Right?  Authentic?  NO.  So even if it is balanced, it's still really gamey.

Let's say you're playing on a high pop server that has heavily vetted its player base.  Maybe you play on a LAN with many people who you trust not to cheat since it's whitelisted.   Is base-building and breaching balanced then?

It takes a while to build a base, and while it is risky to loot for base raiding supplies, it still only takes a few minutes to get inside most bases.  The best servers I have been playing on are the ones with NO base building and have a lore with places to explore and traps and such.  You forget all about waste building.

People keep saying it takes seconds to break into a base, but they aren’t taking into consideration the time it takes to find the supplies. That’s the Problem I have with people complaining about the base raising system. It could take days to find the supplies. It’s not something you can just do in 2 minutes like everyone says….UNLESS…you are using the duplication glitch. The duping glitch is the real problem, not the game itself.

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:51 AM, Thundermight said:

Yes there are ways to defend your base bear traps, mines, trip wires? What are you talking about? Everybody is crying because they think it’s going to make base raising easier, in reality it will make it more dangerous. You better hope you don’t hit a trip wire or blow yourself up when raiding.

Edited by Tommygunz89

The best base you can get is a barrel or a crate stashed somewhere no one is going because there is no reason to. I once had a red barrel (couldn't be any worse colour) hidden is a bush that barely covered in one of the ruins and it went unnoticed for 3 month until server wipe due to update. There is also a lot of chrismas trees that touch each other on a way that allow you to hide a green or even a yellow barrel so well that it's almost impossible to spot. And if you want to play Bob the builder and make a big ass grandiose base you have accept that someone will sooner or later force their way in. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I really don't think duping is a problem anymore, I can't remember the last time I suspected someone of it.

What I think gets forgotten is, there are groups of players who PVP and raid constantly and exclusively. When you play in a group of 4 or more, steam-rolling players/bases week in, week out, stashing, you soon have so much gear/grenades no base can stand in your way. 

How do you balance that? A solo player will always be way less efficient then 6 working together. Do make bases hard to raid for the group of 6? If so, it's now impossible for a solo. I don't know the answer. 

Edited by RZ0R
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

We raided a base yesterday and it took 3 hours even though we could climb in and had all the ammo in the world at hand.

Now we are so geared up that we can raid any base on the server within minutes.

But we only reached that stage because we raided a base that let us jump over the wall (bad design) which had a thousand bullets inside collected by a whole clan over days of time.

If you look at the total time investment it is days of playtime that gets you to that level, so it is not easy to raid bases until you have invested a dozen hours or stolen loot from someone who invested a dozen hours, or the base is just built vulnerable.

Edited by Pyongo Bongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:03 AM, Pyongo Bongo said:

Today a basebuilding balancing patch with new base health was released.

Yeah, now when people want to troll and build around water pumps we are fucked 🤦‍♂️

• Confused 1

base raiding is nowhere near balanced. You can spend 50 in-game hours building your base and have it destroyed in less than 15 minutes. Dupers aren't even a concern w/ nades at this point; you can farm 10 nades in under 30 minutes of looting Swarog, Nadbor mili, and ammo factory. I have 4+ crates of nades stashed, and I have never duped loot. The only bases that arent easy to either destroy w/ nades or boost your way in, are bases built on exploits (like building on top of blue barn, see Gliniska/Gieraltow Livonia 8537 official). For base building to be worth the effort, more structures and building materials need to be added (especially w/ all of these new explosive toys coming in 1.18). Currently, building options are extremely limited; you can only build either towers or walls, which  kinda sucks. 

I'd like to see more focus on base building/defenses (traps) in future updates, but it's totally dependent on the direction the Devs want the game to go. It seems like a portion of the community is against bases altogether. I think more options for building would revitalize the maps that have become somewhat stale, and give players more purpose. Here's a few ideas that could be nice:

-ability to hook generator up to barbed wire for electric fencing (no more meleeing barbed wire, unless the generator is sabotaged)

-taller walls (boosting over walls is completely broken atm)

-cheval de frise barricade (crafted with sharpened wooden logs + sharpened sticks  /option to combine barbed wire) 

-larger/thicker walls that handle more dmg (requires more logs and wood, creates thick wall w/ pillars on each end) 

-wall reinforced w/ sandbags (use shovel to fill burlap sacks w/ dirt, attach bags to walls to increase defense)

-sandbag barrier, walls, and bunker

-toolbelt (holds hatchet/hammer + nails)

-ability to add windows and doors to standard walls instead of having a ton of gates 

-gun racks (found in supply closet of markets and double door barracks, weighs 100)

-lockers (found in schools and barracks, can be locked w/ lock-pick) 

-ability to add sticks and plant material to walls (creates exterior camouflage textured the same as improvised shelters- much better than camo netting) 

-passive skill; the more your character builds, the more efficient you are w/ tools and nails (faster building and use slightly less nails when building) 

-rain catcher (combine tarp + rope + logs to create a rain catcher -barrels are kinda cheesy) 

-fence kits snap together to make lining them up less tedious and painful

These are just a few ideas that could be reworked to spice up building a bit, let me know what you guys think. 

• Thanks 3

I do not know these latest news, now I play almost only in my private server or in other modded ones, but up to 1.17 I have also played a lot in the public vanilla ones. Grenades are too common, with one character I once found so many that no longer fit in my inventory (and I always equip myself with a hunter's jacket, USMC pants, smershvest with smershbag and Alice backpack) so much so that I went to the top to a building, when the server was nearly deserted, and I threw them all over the infected. If I had been a "raid fan" (which I hate to receive and have no intention of doing), I would have filled at least one of my submerged barrels (which were never found, but only wiped out by the various WIPEs) in anticipation of a raid . I DO NOT duplicate, but grenades are very common indeed, much more so than weapons and magazines you really need. With Christmas, even land mines are found by the ton, truly in the "Christmas spirit"... 🙄

I would be curious to see what is really inside the skull of the DayZ programmers... Lucifer? Nosferatu? Count Vlad? 🤔

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Riddick_2K said:

Grenades are too common, with one character I once found so many that no longer fit in my inventory

True.

They did make grenades weaker VS base walls in 1.18, but grenades are still too common.
I think now you need 12 grenades for 1 wall.

Edited by DefectiveWater

Well if so it would be good news if it weren't that they have implemented other various types of explosives... One they fix and another they break it... it's since I started playing that I always see the same thing, patch after patch... but the main flaws are still there... 🙁

• Sad 1

On 7/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, Riddick_2K said:

Well if so it would be good news if it weren't that they have implemented other various types of explosives... One they fix and another they break it... it's since I started playing that I always see the same thing, patch after patch... but the main flaws are still there... 🙁

The new IEDs are actually a bit time consuming to craft because there are a few components you're required to find (plastic explosive, detonator, wire repair kit), but you can find all of those at the same type of area. I think it would be better if you were forced to traverse the map to get the different parts, rather than looting the same spots over and over. The detonators could spawn in high tier military zones and the plastic explosives continue to spawn where they already do. Grenade spawns obviously need to be lowered, but players should also be able to build a wall that can withstand grenade blasts so IEDs are required to breach. We should be able to build a wall out of another material that is hard to make and very strong, like a step above metal walls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bases are much too weak. You need weeks to build and they are raided in minutes. It's much more balanced when damage on fences and towers are disabled like on this server:

[EU] Cheranus | no base damage | Loot+ | Vanilla | IKEA
5.83.170.48:19000

It is the only Vanilla (official) server without base damage as I know. Other servers have spacy mods and are very different to official DayZ.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:22 PM, Tommygunz89 said:

Finding 6 grenades for 1 wall

It’s 12 Grenades now, not sure if that means 6 = wall + 6 = frame or 12 = wall + 12 = frame.

Which I’m glad of because explosives aren’t difficult to come by, especially for a large group.