Raptor97

When will helicopters be implemented in vanilla ?

Hi All

Are the devs still working on helicopters for vanilla or will this never happen?

BR

Raptor

You may as well be asking for the return of the bow.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, General Zod said:

Hopefully never. 

Why never? I never found a vehicle since at least a year in vanilla, bikes also missing, you cant walk all the time after almost 2000 hrs, otherwise im very happy with the game. It takes too much time to build a base too.

Lead dev admitted in an interview a couple of years ago that all plans for flying vehicles had been permanently scrapped due to lack of resources. They simply didn't have the manpower to implement the necessary physics. Now they are currently working on moving over a newer version of vehicle physics from the current version of Enfusion, whether this will include support for other vehicle types than regular cars is another question.

Personally I think the maps in DayZ are simply too small for flying vehicles, but I would very much like to see boats and bikes implemented at some point.

• Like 4
  • Beans 2

On 4/6/2022 at 3:38 PM, Parazight said:

You may as well be asking for the return of the bow.

Please dear god let us get the bow back one day

• Beans 1

I dont wanna helis because:

1. Map is too small for them and you could get from coast to tisy in few minutes 

2. Typical survivor as we are in dayz dont know anything about piloting compliacted maschine like helicopter

3. I prefer to add simple "bumbblebee plane" as they announced few years back. Plane like this isnt very fast, there is higher chance that typical "survivor" will have pilot skills for that (it isnt that uncommont for someone to learn to fly in like aeroclub on small planes) and plane like this fits more into dayz world.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 4/6/2022 at 10:50 PM, Raptor97 said:

Why never? I never found a vehicle since at least a year in vanilla, bikes also missing, you cant walk all the time after almost 2000 hrs, otherwise im very happy with the game. It takes too much time to build a base too.

Because it will never be a proper simulation. Cars are passable, but having arcade helis brings nothing to the game. 

4 hours ago, ZBA said:

2. Typical survivor as we are in dayz dont know anything about piloting compliacted maschine like helicopter

3. I prefer to add simple "bumbblebee plane" as they announced few years back. Plane like this isnt very fast, there is higher chance that typical "survivor" will have pilot skills for that (it isnt that uncommont for someone to learn to fly in like aeroclub on small planes) and plane like this fits more into dayz world.

Also this. The simplest planes actually are not much more complicated than a car to start up and winged flight is easier. So it makes a lot more sense to have simple planes around. Still the maps are too small for these. I'll argue that maps are already too small even for cars. Cars are at this point are good just for transporting more stuff. But by driving around in a car you, ironically, miss a lot of the map. Or you constantly get out and walk and you always have to return to your car. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I'll argue that maps are already too small even for cars. Cars are at this point are good just for transporting more stuff. But by driving around in a car you, ironically, miss a lot of the map. Or you constantly get out and walk and you always have to return to your car. 

Couldn't agree more. I've enjoyed mooching around for car parts occasionally and getting one running, but I really couldn't be bothered going through all the effort of not just getting it running, but also keeping it running and stopping it from being stolen. Last time I had a car, I would strip it right down and bury the parts. Ridiculous really. And yes, I also agree that the map is too small unless you're keen on base building, which I'm not. 

Helicopters on vanilla dayzmod were usually used just by a few people/groups. They were hard to find, a pain to repair and impossible to hide and they were used to gather more loot and terrorizing the coast. And in this securety state of the game, the hackers would profit the most. How should you repair a chopper anyways? Carrying rotary parts and and a whole engine in a field backpack like back in the old dayz?

Simple vehicles for the common players would be more fitable, bicycles, motorcycles, craftable stuff (could you theoreticly craft a bicylce?), easy to repair or even wheelbarrels would fitbetter.

For modded servers helicopters/planes sure is a different story.

Edited by Officer Failure
formatting