vfxtodd

Examples of "bad".

Here is a screen shot taken a few minutes ago. I'm a fresh spawn, maybe 5 minutes old. And my water and food are already YELLOW. A couple minutes after this, my food was RED and my stomach was growling like mad.

It's crap like this that makes DayZ frustrating to play. This was my 4th character in a row where I was yellow or starving within a few minutes after spawning. This is so far removed from reality and doesn't belong in a video game. Yea, it's a survival game. But, this goes beyond ridiculous.

Day-Z-dying.jpg

We all spawn in this cold world with a few items and a certain set of skills that can be used to live through another day. Ain't that an advantage already?... To know how to execute everything flawlessly, to not waste effort and materials on learning... A crutch for all.

If it was me, i would give fresh spawns absolutely nothing. Empty pockets. And these spawns would not be healthy at all. I would transform them into survivors of a shipwreck that barely made it to the shore. That would eliminate all those clowns that can only run towards military loot, all those heroes which try to kill anything in their sight as soon as they start. I would make people suffer so they could appreciate little things - like the fact they're still alive when most common people are dead.

But that scenario needs a lot of features this game currently don't have. It's a game - so there should be a prospect of development for all survivors to see. To achieve something more than just a box full of items. To feel that playing - even solo - has something to it. Maybe a reason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@vfxtodd

Take your finger off the Shift key.

You should not be sprinting, only jogging, until you can find food and water.  Sure, you will travel slower, but will live much longer.

Unless you're on a modded server that has reduced the start hydration and energy levels, there's nothing wrong with the default starting levels.

• Like 2

Your character also is on cold temp which Will drain energy even faster.

Get warmer clothes, even ugly ones, dont sprint, live longer. 

Your stamina bar is near empty so please dont come with the: "I wasnt sprinting" remark. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

And my water and food are already YELLOW

You spawn practically starving... that's the only "difficult" part about this game... don't like it? play on x50 servers or something...

Get better clothes, drink from a well, don't sprint, get some food, get some tools...

3 hours ago, nemorus said:

like the fact they're still alive when most common people are dead.

and now you've got literally empty freshie towns with 50 dead corpses in each, and it keeps on repeating all the time because people can't progress because you want it to be even more difficult... join a full unmodded, untweaked community server just after a server wipe and good luck finding food and tools in freshie towns.

Edited by DefectiveWater

4 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

Here is a screen shot taken a few minutes ago. I'm a fresh spawn, maybe 5 minutes old. And my water and food are already YELLOW. A couple minutes after this, my food was RED and my stomach was growling like mad.

It's crap like this that makes DayZ frustrating to play. This was my 4th character in a row where I was yellow or starving within a few minutes after spawning. This is so far removed from reality and doesn't belong in a video game. Yea, it's a survival game. But, this goes beyond ridiculous.

... or how about you just git gud. If you are playing on a official / vanilla server, you are having an easy time already.

Edited by 'AZAZEL'
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, drgullen said:

@vfxtodd

Take your finger off the Shift key.

You should not be sprinting, only jogging, until you can find food and water.  Sure, you will travel slower, but will live much longer.

Unless you're on a modded server that has reduced the start hydration and energy levels, there's nothing wrong with the default starting levels.

That's crazy, You spawn miles away from any location with the slightest bit of loot. I've been playing DayZ for years. It was never like this until recently. If I jogged everywhere it would take me hours to get to the nearest town. And I've played this game enough to know that even jogging I lose food and drink levels pretty fast. This doesn't happen on every server. Although today, it did seem to be the case on every server I jumped on. 

3 hours ago, McWendy said:

Your character also is on cold temp which Will drain energy even faster.

Get warmer clothes, even ugly ones, dont sprint, live longer. 

Your stamina bar is near empty so please dont come with the: "I wasnt sprinting" remark. 

Did I say, "I. wasn't sprinting"? No, I didn't. So, don't put words in my mouth. 

4 hours ago, nemorus said:

We all spawn in this cold world with a few items and a certain set of skills that can be used to live through another day. Ain't that an advantage already?... To know how to execute everything flawlessly, to not waste effort and materials on learning... A crutch for all.

If it was me, i would give fresh spawns absolutely nothing. Empty pockets. And these spawns would not be healthy at all. I would transform them into survivors of a shipwreck that barely made it to the shore. That would eliminate all those clowns that can only run towards military loot, all those heroes which try to kill anything in their sight as soon as they start. I would make people suffer so they could appreciate little things - like the fact they're still alive when most common people are dead.

But that scenario needs a lot of features this game currently don't have. It's a game - so there should be a prospect of development for all survivors to see. To achieve something more than just a box full of items. To feel that playing - even solo - has something to it. Maybe a reason.

You would make a horrible game developer if your idea is to start off fresh spawns with nothing. Imagine if you had to fight a zombie. Especially now. You will most likely find yourself bleeding. Without a rag or bandages, you would bleed out and die. Given the fact that it's almost impossible to find anything sharp in DayZ within the first hour or two, you're not likely able to cut rags from any shirts you'd find.

Make your own survival game where players start out with nothing. No one will play it. Ever. You should think your ideas through.

1 hour ago, vfxtodd said:

If I jogged everywhere it would take me hours to get to the nearest town.

I'm not suggesting you jog all the time, only right after you spawn as this is when you're most vulnerable.

The very first thing I do is look for fruit trees and for infected to kill as both are sources of energy and hydration.  Sometimes, those things are within eyesight right at the spawn point -- not always, but sometimes.  Fruit spawns similar to how infected spawn, so there might not be any at the trees at first, but circle back after passing by and you'll find some.  Dried fruit will help only your energy whereas raw fruit will help energy and hydration.

If you follow a path of trees to a town, eating fruit as you go along, it is literally impossible to die of starvation or dehydration in the game -- again though, so long as you keep your finger off the Shift key when your bottle/apple is yellow.

Once you reach a well (and drink like 30+ sips till you see the stomach full icon -- many people don't do this), then and only then is it time to sprint.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

Without a rag or bandages, you would bleed out and die.

No.  A cut will stop bleeding on its own.

Given the fact that it's almost impossible to find anything sharp in DayZ within the first hour or two

Doesn't understand how ambient spawns work.

If I jogged everywhere it would take me hours to get to the nearest town.

Hours?  This is simply not true.  

You spawn miles away from any location with the slightest bit of loot.

This is false.  There are many loot spawns, including food spawns, near every single new spawn node.

Survival is nowhere near as hard as you say.  The last thing we need is a bunch of nerfs to PVE.  Get some more practice with the latest update and you'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

"(...)No one will play it. Ever.(...)"

I would. And that makes your statement wrong already.

Edited by nemorus
<><><><>
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, vfxtodd said:

That's crazy, You spawn miles away from any location with the slightest bit of loot. 

So? Map knowledge is a skill, knowing where you spawned and which direction to go for the best start of your toon..

I've been playing DayZ for years. It was never like this until recently.

What year(s) was that? Development is so slow its almost always been like that. Especially food and drinks going yellow quick..

Although today, it did seem to be the case on every server I jumped on. 

Yes today they adjusted it for you to make it even harder. 

I guess with all info you provided you must come to the conclusion that even tho you played it for years (as a run gun pew pew Shooter probably) you are Just not good at DayZ as a survival game. 

Did I say, "I. wasn't sprinting"? No, I didn't. So, don't put words in my mouth. 

See problem one. Dont sprint.

• Beans 2

On 8/13/2021 at 12:10 AM, vfxtodd said:

That's crazy, You spawn miles away from any location with the slightest bit of loot. I've been playing DayZ for years. It was never like this until recently. If I jogged everywhere it would take me hours to get to the nearest town. And I've played this game enough to know that even jogging I lose food and drink levels pretty fast. This doesn't happen on every server. Although today, it did seem to be the case on every server I jumped on. 

Miles, hours? I can't ever recall spawning miles or hours from anywhere. Maybe a ten minute jog? 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 12:20 AM, vfxtodd said:

Given the fact that it's almost impossible to find anything sharp in DayZ within the first hour or two, 

There are a plethora of sharp objects. Stones are literally everywhere since the last update. Combine two stones to make an improvised knife. But honestly, I've never needed to yet because there are so many items you can cut up chickens with now. 

• Like 1