THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

On 12/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, 'AZAZEL' said:

... we still posting console garbage videos? Of course vehicles suck there, garbage local hardware... garbage server hardware.

You always attack the issue and blame the hardware.   Should people be expected to spend thousands of dollars just to play a game?

Don't you think that the product should be able to perform on average and accessible components?   Do you think that unreasonable system requirements are the foundation for a good business model?   And why hate on consoles?  They're not exactly a niche market.

• Beans 2

It will be interesting to see how cars will be framed by BI for 2022.  They said they would make fixes in 2021.  Turns out that was another broken promise.  Will they rise to the occasion this year?

The intended realism is just jaw dropping.

21 hours ago, 'AZAZEL' said:

laggy console garbage servers at it again...

only time I've had a death caused by a car freaking out on console day z was with an olga that had both left side wheels missing and it was slightly sunk into the ground, a simple fix for this would have been to put both tyres on that side so the car came out of the ground. other than the 1 time I've mentioned I haven't had ant other problems with cars on day z, yes sometimes it freezes near big cities on both livonia or chernarus but all in all I've just had the 1 bad experience with that 1 olga. and for the record this is on a ps4 slim lol don't get me wrong yes the cars are a problem, they certainly do not function as they should but from personal experience it's been pretty positive for me and that's with 2000+ hours on console (ps4).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

only time I've had a death caused by a car freaking out on console day z was with an olga that had both left side wheels missing and it was slightly sunk into the ground, a simple fix for this would have been to put both tyres on that side so the car came out of the ground. other than the 1 time I've mentioned I haven't had ant other problems with cars on day z, yes sometimes it freezes near big cities on both livonia or chernarus but all in all I've just had the 1 bad experience with that 1 olga. and for the record this is on a ps4 slim lol don't get me wrong yes the cars are a problem, they certainly do not function as they should but from personal experience it's been pretty positive for me and that's with 2000+ hours on console (ps4).

A garbage server to that guy is anything under 3000 dollars.  His post history can verify this.  Azazel isn't willing to compromise, he'll tell you to spend lots of money on servers instead of accepting the fact that the game should be able to run on reasonably priced servers.   Which would make sense because the average player uses average hardware.  It's unreasonable to have to spend thousands of dollars to make the game run, you'd think.

15 hours ago, rackinglad27 said:

Yep, this has been exactly my experience too, on og xbox one with extremal drive. The only issue I've ever had was way back when cars had just been introduced. Certain car spawns were notorious. They were slightly sunken into the ground. As soon as you got in, instadeath. There was one near berezino. I thought I'd been sniped so went back to it and it happened again! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parazight said:

A garbage server to that guy is anything under 3000 dollars.  His post history can verify this.  Azazel isn't willing to compromise, he'll tell you to spend lots of money on servers instead of accepting the fact that the game should be able to run on reasonably priced servers.   Which would make sense because the average player uses average hardware.  It's unreasonable to have to spend thousands of dollars to make the game run, you'd think.

A $3000 server solves player latency? Interesting 😄 

Cars are still dancing - doesn't matter which server it is - even on "Frostbite", AZAZEL. Just look at the cars that spawned without any wheels - each reset they change position. And what about reducing gears to neutral before turning off engine? If you don't, the car will dance each reset, doesn't matter if the wheels are attached to it or not. And snowmobiles (modded)? Mine teleported onto the roof of a structure because it standed too close to the wall when reset happened. The game is a swiss cheese and needs some work. After all this time it DESERVES that much - out of respect for the time already invested.

Edited by nemorus
a=e

Bottom line is DayZ is built on a hybrid between an ancient game engine and a very early and incomplete version of a new one. It's a bloody miracle it actually works as well as it does, all things considered. The various physics-related issues we see - including the crazy shenanigans vehicles get up to - boil down to this fact. The DayZ dev team can tweak this or that to improve stuff, but there is little they can do about the situation with the engine. Maybe - just maybe - BI will actually let DayZ be moved over to full Enfusion, but I very much doubt it, at least until a new Arma is out. I have this feeling the guilty pleasure that is DayZ just can't be allowed to be the first "real" Enfusion game from BI. I hope that is just me wearing a tin foil hat, but yeah that's the feeling I get.

Edited by Derleth

41 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Bottom line is DayZ is built on a hybrid between an ancient game engine and a very early and incomplete version of a new one. It's a bloody miracle it actually works as well as it does, all things considered. The various physics-related issues we see - including the crazy shenanigans vehicles get up to - boil down to this fact. The DayZ dev team can tweak this or that to improve stuff, but there is little they can do about the situation with the engine. Maybe - just maybe - BI will actually let DayZ be moved over to full Enfusion, but I very much doubt it, at least until a new Arma is out. I have this feeling the guilty pleasure that is DayZ just can't be allowed to be the first "real" Enfusion game from BI. I hope that is just me wearing a tin foil hat, but yeah that's the feeling I get.

Derleth, I agree.  BI doesn't have the balls to admit how screwed up this is.  I'd have waaaay more respect for them as a company if they would just come clean and admit it's a ratnest, but also, what is the fix.  Like you say, I don't believe they will put DayZ on the full Enfusion package until Arma 4 is there.  I'd like to be wrong too, but considering I wasn't wrong in 2020 or 2021 about this issue.....   If they truly cared, this would have been fixed a couple of years ago.  Since it's inception, this game has only had potential, it's never really achieved what it's set out to be.  Most players I know that love this game see the potential, that's what they/me want... for the game to live up to it's potential.  NO OTHER OPEN WORLD SURVIVAL GAME HAS COME CLOSE PAST OR PRESENT.  DayZ HAS that potential buried in it.  IF only BI would capitalize on it instead of burying their heads in the sand.  At this point it seems we can all go wish in one hand and shit in the other to see which gets filled faster.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

I dunno, I saw the alpha disclaimer that we would have to suffer through bad design decision.   That's fine and all but the bad design decision never got fixed.  Instead of optimizing the code, they decided to implement security measures during the engine assembly.  Sure, everyone knows that to fix DayZ the engine would have to be reassembled.  Whatever.  I assumed that when I hit "I accept" that those things would be taken care of.  Instead, they DIDN'T fix it and I can't play with optimized code on my home LAN.  Really, we shouldn't have to know all this technical information and be expected to obtain above average hardware just to have a reasonable gameplay experience.  When my kid asks me "how come I can't play the game when I press the button?"  I have to respond with "sorry, they said there would be problems, but they never fixed them, deal with it". 

Then we got TenCent.  A 580 billion dollar chinese company invested in BI.  Still, so many problems.  Seems odd that there's nothing that can be done, other than make bad decisions.

16 hours ago, Parazight said:

I dunno, I saw the alpha disclaimer that we would have to suffer through bad design decision.   That's fine and all but the bad design decision never got fixed.  Instead of optimizing the code, they decided to implement security measures during the engine assembly.  Sure, everyone knows that to fix DayZ the engine would have to be reassembled.  Whatever.  I assumed that when I hit "I accept" that those things would be taken care of.  Instead, they DIDN'T fix it and I can't play with optimized code on my home LAN.  Really, we shouldn't have to know all this technical information and be expected to obtain above average hardware just to have a reasonable gameplay experience.  When my kid asks me "how come I can't play the game when I press the button?"  I have to respond with "sorry, they said there would be problems, but they never fixed them, deal with it". 

Then we got TenCent.  A 580 billion dollar chinese company invested in BI.  Still, so many problems.  Seems odd that there's nothing that can be done, other than make bad decisions.

Remember, we beta tested parts of Enfusion, and it doesn't look like we will reap a single reward for that.  All we have is shitty car physics due to a really dumb early design decision to stop hackers (I laughed so hard while typing that sentence), half-assed survival and base building mechanics, and zed AI that is so lacking that literally looks like the least amount of effort was given and then everyone went on holiday.  AND YET, here we are!  Willing this game to somehow be BETTER.  Begging BI to turn this good game into a game that deserves to be called the Grandfather of all Open World Survival games.  The community I helped found was formed around THIS GAME.  One or or two of us are even interested in DayZ anymore.  We all played the original Mod and moved on to so Exile and and Epoch, but then Standalone hit and we loved it for a long while, but now, base building is so lacking in Vanilla, cars are an absolute shit show, and we pay 80 bucks a month for what I would consider to be a killer server dedicated server 8700K procesor 32 GB memory NVME drive and unlimited bandwidth on a very high speed connection, yet with a few people on the server, cars wig out, unknown lag during gun fights.  It's just unacceptable.  BI doesn't interact with the community anymore, they just tell us what they deem we need to know and walk away until the next update.  And they still don't deliver on many of the critical issues they claim to be working on.

Some of these community servers are paying $200.00 or more for the highest end hardware.  That is insane.  I played on Frostbite and spoke with the owner a few weeks ago, they have the finest hardware you can rent.  The game tanks at half pop, and at full pop, forget it, cars are a crapshoot, and lag is a serious problem.  Why does BI not fix these problems?  Please not more hats or guns, fix the cars, make base building more varied and more effort put into it, make it a part of the end game even.  Make zombies smarter or at least more varied in how they operate.  The fact that they can still track you indoors without seeing you is the silliest thing ever at this point.  And fix the damn vehicle physics, it's been three years, I mean wars have been fought and won quicker than this is taking.

ikr.

The only option we have is to relay these issues.  The company is still in business, it's still making updates, new games, and is active in some media.  But the communication is really bad unless the news is rosy.  Like, how about some acknowledgement of anything, tell us that it can't be done.  We're adults here.  Even if it's the worst news possible, it's better to hear it.  Go ahead and tell us that it can't be done, if it can't be done. Explain that it can't be done, so we can prepare and plan, it's really not hard, or damaging.  Not doing the right thing says "we're a bunch of bads".

1 hour ago, SillyJoe said:

3 words: Fix Server PERFORMANCE

The problem is BI has not published any recommended server specs based on player count.  And what would the point be?  After a dozen or so people join a server on damn good hardware, cars will fly, get a few dozen more and lag will become a thing in some scenarios and a few more will introduce the beginnings of bullet lag.  And GOD FORBID a server operator doesn't restart every couple of hours when they are full pop.  The server will be molasses in about two hours at 40 people.  Driving a car at this point in time is SU-I-CIDE

Standalone has been released for three years and it is still in beta form.  Is this the best BI can do?   I wish someone at that company had the balls to prove me wrong. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Is this the best BI can do?

Yes.  They dedicate X amount of time towards discussing the matter every week.  >.>

25 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

The problem is BI has not published any recommended server specs based on player count. 

Yea.  You're right.  I recently bought two new towers and was going to turn one into a server, as the GPU wasn't high-end.  I looked to find recommended hardware, but found none, so I gave up.

HNGBbHk.png

- there, so little content yet so many mistakes. And people ask what about spam on board or even bugz...

13 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

The problem is BI has not published any recommended server specs based on player count.

Well I can tell for sure that the official servers (Nitrado) are not performing well when high/full pop (50+slots) and it's a shame that BI aren't even able to fix the performance of their official servers. Even more shady is the fact that you can rent servers with 100 slots for console and I would even go so far to call this a big scam!

But I do have a feeling that CPUs that offer high single-core performance are the best choice for DayZ as the server sided code doesn't seem to be optimized for modern multi-core server CPUs which are usually optimized for high multi-threaded performance at lower clock speeds.

Edited by SillyJoe

You know, the last couple of days I've been looking for the latest car flying videos to post here on Youtube and ALL I AM FINDING ARE HACKING AIMBOT ADS to purchase cheats for this game.  I mean it is horribly bad the sheer volume of these ads that are showing up as of late.  For God's sakes BI please get a grip on this!  I can't even properly bitch about how bad car physics are because of all the hacks available for the game now!

I search for "DayZ vehicles" , but you can use many other DayZ search phrases and select a filter of today and wallah.... nothing but hack results, good job BI and Battleye!

hack.png

Edited by THEGordonFreeman

Well well, this just in from the 2022 "roadmap":

• We’re in the process of importing the latest version of vehicle simulation from a newer version of our Enfusion engine. We hope this will bring some much-needed stability to vehicle simulation in DayZ and expect to perform some public testing in the coming weeks.

Will be very interesting to see how this goes. 

• Like 1

This in today's Reforger patchnotes:

• Fixed: Vehicles would be left in undefined state if their driver’s game session terminated unexpectedly (“the flying vehicle” issue)

Took them two hotfixes...

So, when will testing of the imported Enfusion physics to DayZ start? February 10th you said "in the coming weeks". No surprise that it has taken longer, and I don't mind waiting, but could we please get a bit of communication about the whys and hows of the delay? Pretty please with sugar on top? @Kyiara @ImpulZ

43 minutes ago, Derleth said:

This in today's Reforger patchnotes:

• Fixed: Vehicles would be left in undefined state if their driver’s game session terminated unexpectedly (“the flying vehicle” issue)

Took them two hotfixes...

So, when will testing of the imported Enfusion physics to DayZ start? February 10th you said "in the coming weeks". No surprise that it has taken longer, and I don't mind waiting, but could we please get a bit of communication about the whys and hows of the delay? Pretty please with sugar on top? @Kyiara @ImpulZ

Ummm... the flying vehicle issue in Reforger is TOTALLY different than DayZ. 

Since BI doesn't communicate with it's community any longer the best theory going is this is a bug where if the driver disconnects while currently moving the vehicle will maintain velocity and continue to move in the direction it was until another player gets in the driver seat to resume physics simulation ecause even after the player leaves, the vehicle does not return to the server's ownership and continues to give the player ownership and, in doing so, input even though they no longer exist.

Completely different from waht is happening in DayZ where vehicles are client side PERIOD as it exists today.  Seriously, I jsut want to see them fix something of substance in DayZ.  The 1.18 patch does not address Vehicles or even more importantly, Server Exploits.

• Like 1