RustyShmakle

Cars wont drive uphill

Hello! Ive been playing Day Z on PS4 for a few years now and ive had this bug for as long as I can remember. I absolutely cannot drive up any incline with any vehicle . Not to mention trying to get up steep roads is impossible. I have deleted and re downloaded many times with no success. Does anyone else have this issue; are there any fixes?

Adas are the worst for hill climbing. But all cars are shit to drive up hill

Edited by Blades56
Spelling

@RustyShmakle Shift to first gear when going up a hill slowly. Ada actually has the best performance going up a hill but you need to shift first gear. Keep it in first gear until you climb it. No, that is not how cars work IRL, unless the hill is really steep but this is the problem with vehicles in DayZ at least since 0.62. Even when driving fast like 60 on the asphalt, it is still better to downshift at least one gear to maintain speed up hill. 

Edited by William Sternritter

This might sound stupid but you are going in the first gear, right? Not many people know how to drive manual IRL and in game.

• Like 1

There's a mechanic where you can hold down the Shift key for extra boost.  I don't know the keybindings for console, but driving works fine.  You can drive the ADA uphill and through forests, easily.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Parazight said:

There's a mechanic where you can hold down the Shift key for extra boost.  I don't know the keybindings for console, but driving works fine.  You can drive the ADA uphill and through forests, easily.

The boost function doesn't exist on console. There are parts of the map where cars just seemingly can't get any traction. Sometimes it's because there's clearly a large hill or incline, but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it. 

Here's a recent example. 

The car just COULD NOT accelerate no matter what I did. The only thing that works is putting it in neutral, revving the engine, and doing incremental tiny boosts until it frees itself. The ADA performs the best uphills and on forest, but it's not at all consistent.  

Man, that sucks.  Console needs the boost function.

I've driven every back road in Chenarus with the ADA.  Traversing roads has never been an issue.  With the boost function, you can make tight turns in a forest, at night, while raining, uphill, and while intoxicated.

13 hours ago, thepoey said:

The boost function doesn't exist on console. There are parts of the map where cars just seemingly can't get any traction. Sometimes it's because there's clearly a large hill or incline, but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it. 

How is that even possible? The turbo boost is simply flooring the accelerator, without it you're always running at something like 60-70% so it is literally vital to get up some hills. On PC it is the sprint button (shift). I simply can't believe it isn't bound on console yet.

Mind you even with the boost some uphill forest and dirt roads are too steep for all cars but the M3S (that can drive basically anywhere, it is a beast) and the Ada. The gunter and sarka are terrible on anything but paved roads and the olga will struggle up the steepest slopes. Only way to get up some hills is by making a running start and just hoping you'll make it up before you lose all the speed...

Some of the frustration with this is caused by the sound effects not matching what happens when losing traction on a dirt road - there is no cue that the wheels are spinning wildly, usually the engine doesn't even rev up for some reason. Anyway I often get the impression that gravity is simply a bit too strong - the way you accelerate downhill reinforces that impression.

• Like 2

rev up the engine in neutral(with turbo binded,really high, to redline), then quickly switch to first/reverse (what you need) while still holding gas+turbo, unfortunately 2 years after release BI still doesnt know how vehicle gas pedal, torque, and basiclly whole car works without artificial boosts(same as vanilla physX vehicles in A3) to engine inertia/performance, because why learn how to use bullet physics lib properly when you can screw every aspect of the game and its mechanics

Edited by TheSzepy