VodkaFish

Basebuilding still a cruel joke

@VodkaFish I honestly don't think it is broken. In real life it would be harder to build something than to smash your way through it. I also think that if one person or clan has all the high tier loot stashed in an impregnable location then nobody eke on the server has a chance. To build some of the things you're suggesting such as vault rooms would be quite an undertaking in an apocalypse. And even then, given the right tools and a bit of determination it could be breached. 

1 hour ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

@VodkaFish I honestly don't think it is broken. In real life it would be harder to build something than to smash your way through it. I also think that if one person or clan has all the high tier loot stashed in an impregnable location then nobody eke on the server has a chance. To build some of the things you're suggesting such as vault rooms would be quite an undertaking in an apocalypse. And even then, given the right tools and a bit of determination it could be breached. 

I agree that building a bunker would be quite a task under these conditions.   One man building an underground shelter is more realistic than one man maintaining a helicopter, or rebuilding a car from parts.

Mixing and pouring concrete has been done for centuries.  Using scrap metal to make complex items with hand tools is also possible.  Look at the Philippines hand made gun market.  and they think they are going to ban guns in the US?  LOL

• Sad 1

Sad truth about base building in DayZ is that the map is just too small for the feature. There is just no way to keep a base hidden for any amount of time, someone will stumble upon it in a matter of days if not hours. And a fortified, locked base is an irresistible lure to nearly every DayZ player alive. What juicy lootz do they have inside? I have to have it!

So, even though it realistically makes sense that bases can be broken into in a fraction of the time it takes to build them, to balance the gameplay they need to be more time consuming to raid, or the effort to build them is simply not worth it. We can't be there 24/7 to protect it, in fact most players play a few hours a day at most - which leaves a base unprotected and risk free to raid the majority of the time.

On a map ten times the size of Chernarus (without more points of interest, just longer distances, more woods between the villages) a base could remain hidden much longer. It would simply not be feasible for raiders to scour the entire map in a few hours looking for bases.

For that reason I would agree that bases, as the game is currently working, need to be much more resistant to raiding. They can start by making it take time - and more than one pair of pliers - to get rid of barbed wire. Dismounting from outside in a few seconds makes it utterly worthless.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

I agree that building a bunker would be quite a task under these conditions.   One man building an underground shelter is more realistic than one man maintaining a helicopter, or rebuilding a car from parts.

Mixing and pouring concrete has been done for centuries.  Using scrap metal to make complex items with hand tools is also possible.  Look at the Philippines hand made gun market.  and they think they are going to ban guns in the US?  LOL

I wouldn't personally want to see helicopters in the game anyway. Basic car maintenance on the other hand doesn't take much to change a radiator or spark plug. 

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

You do realize Dayz has never taken kindly to exploiting... Look what they did to North East Airfield. I would not go around exploiting. My advice to you is if the game is not sitting correctly with you on the official servers is to find a moderated modded server, such as DayZ underground or one of uncle zeds servers and reside on there till Easycheat can increase its numbers, lets face it- EVERYBODY knows there is of cheaters plays DayZ, shit- I have seen players flying around in the sky dropping other players to there deaths, killed countless times just hiding inside elektro or cherno where I could not be found, blaseted through walls. I had my entire base one time teleported to random locations all over the map, I know because I found my gate with a 4 combo lock on it ontop of the police station in solnichnty and my combonation for the 4 dail lock on it opened the gate, all my crates were scattered from tissy to black forest to Z-town. WarZ (Infestation stories) branched off of DayZ & its by cheaters for cheaters, they also got into a criminal lawsuit as well... and the fact that Dayz sold millions of copies and the whole 20,000 bans this year from easycheat is not an acceptable number. But just because there is not much push from it currently from the DayZ dev team DOES NOT mean they tolerate it in any amount of degree. How would you like it if someone was destroying your hard work at an immersive payable and fun atmosphere just because they cant hide a few toys here and there? Cheaters in a survival game is the stupidest display of a lack of common sence I can think of. ITS A SURVIVAL GAME, Why cheat at a SURVIVAL game, you are not ment to live forever, your ment to see HOW LONG you can survive!  If your not going to place YOURSELF to the test of surviving WHY play it, let alone cheat at it & ruin the experience for those that do.

Edited by Exxoduss

I think Fallout shelters would be an acceptable and reasonable addition to the game, they dont need to be "made" they could be static locations by the coast. It could server as a good stepping stone to get the logistics of making your own base...??? I dunno-

but also increasing the map area another 740 sq km would take care of alot of problems when it comes to bases being raided...!

Edited by Exxoduss
(askme- I would love to design that map, I would make it a lifetime job, I would put so much love into it)

5 hours ago, Exxoduss said:

just because they cant hide a few toys here and there? 

There are a lot more problems in this game than the useless base feature.  This game is broken and it lacks any meaningful support.

13 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Basic car maintenance on the other hand doesn't take much to change a radiator or spark plug. 

Basic car maintenance doesn't take much in our world.  Refined oil, synthetic oil, high test fuel, new filters, new spark plugs, and other supplies are readily available.   We can take our cars to the shop for an engine or transmission replacement, straighten a frame, etc.  The shops have computers that can give your vehicle's computer the latest updates from the factory.  Vehicles that sit tend to have problems.  Vehicles that have been subjected to flooding tend to have problems.

What would we do if we found an abandoned car like the ones on the map and didn't have all that stuff mentioned above.

We'd be walking.

4 hours ago, VodkaFish said:

Basic car maintenance doesn't take much in our world.  Refined oil, synthetic oil, high test fuel, new filters, new spark plugs, and other supplies are readily available.   We can take our cars to the shop for an engine or transmission replacement, straighten a frame, etc.  The shops have computers that can give your vehicle's computer the latest updates from the factory.  Vehicles that sit tend to have problems.  Vehicles that have been subjected to flooding tend to have problems.

What would we do if we found an abandoned car like the ones on the map and didn't have all that stuff mentioned above.

We'd be walking.

There would be cars everywhere in perfect working order, without any missing parts. If I don't drive my car for a couple of weeks, it still starts first time. Sure, there would be some old bangers you might have trouble with, and a few cars that have had some parts stripped off them. But dayz takes place very soon after some sort of pandemic. Vehicles haven't been stood for years. And we're also talking about pretty basic Russian cars here, no engine management systems. We're talking about replacing a spark plug, a radiator and maybe a couple of wheels. 

I'd be driving. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

But dayz takes place very soon after some sort of pandemic. Vehicles haven't been stood for years. 

That's what I have trouble figuring out, the time line.   Like someone pointed out there are stacks of bodies in mass graves throughout the map.  I don't know how I didn't notice them before.

Those bodies would not stay there for long in good condition.   Where are the people who stacked those bodies?  The yards don't look too over grown, recently cared for really.  Most of the houses are in decent condition.

Some of the vehicles look trashed to me.  They look old.  This includes the ships.  If It was recent I could see you doing some minor work on one, or even finding one that runs.

After the initial fuel and oil is gone on the island I'm not sure what we'd do as there are no game mechanics to make fuel or oil.

Edited by VodkaFish

Like I say, I read it that dayz is set on the first few weeks of the pandemic. The bodies piled up suggest that. Who put them there? Other survivors? Maybe people who succumbed to the virus. Either way, plenty of fuel left in the garages because most people are dead or infected. 

• Like 1

I dunno. There are rusted out tanks and columns of destroyed military and civvie vehicles which suggests a longer period than a few weeks.

I always figured that DayZ took place at least a few months into some apocalypse, maybe even a year. But that there's still an ongong battle between military elements and the infected, hence, still burning choppers.

It's difficult to ascertain, but completely unimportant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

But you still haven't figured out that DayZ, not only is badly handled, but also poorly written ... and not just for code flaws, but there are also many voluntarily written BSs that have nothing to do with reality and realism. And some also invoke "playability". Here everybody tries to justify what he likes or is comfortable with with the most absurd arguments.
The fact remains that, in addition to the mountain of flaws, the game is also written in an absurd and incoherent way.
A simple and stupid example?
The timeline:
Dandemic recently or long?
A little bit like that and a bit like that.
Canned food, jams, medicines seem to imply that the pandemic is only a few years old.
Instead the cars, completely rusted with the parts to be used also completely rusted, seem to imply that the pandemic began many decades ago.
But all food and medicines (no more products) should all be expired already.
it's all an opposite of everything ... here it's all absurd.
Sin.
I really like this game, but the further it goes the more patches they add, the worse it seems to be.
This 1.10 has broken the behavior of the cars more than the previous ones that I have seen (game from 1.07).
I really don't know where we're going to end up.
Perhaps hope that BI sells the game to some more "serious" company that actually fixes the game without adding anything, and the Modders for what it takes in the game.

2 hours ago, Riddick_2K said:

Perhaps hope that BI sells the game to some more "serious" company that actually fixes the game without adding anything, and the Modders for what it takes in the game.

I was expecting they do that when they announced Dayz standalone, back in 2012. I also hope that they would do it when they reach a deadend with Real Virtuality engine, but they replaced it with Enfusion. 
 Since then, i'm not expecting that they sell it anymore, it would be so much expensive for any company to buy it. As you well know, it's all about the money.
 But we can only hope.

I still can't find the vice video I'm looking for, but here's another one.

Edited by VodkaFish

On 12/19/2020 at 4:08 AM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I've never had a barrel stash found. Ever. They are virtually impossible to find unless you know exactly where to stand. Buried loot is too easily spotted. But you could be stood virtually next to my barrels and not find it. Bases can be spotted a long way off. And if someone spots it, they'll want in and it doesn't matter how well built it is, they'll get in eventually. Especially a squad. 

I can hide barrels on the costal hotspots and they won't be found. 

Back on the old UN Clan servers around .55 or so, I had 18 barrels hidden in the woods near Tulga.  No one ever found them.  Hiding barrels used to be great when you could put them in trees.  Everyone is gambling: some that people won't take the time to break in, some that people won't stand in just the right spot.  I like your odds better.

35 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

Back on the old UN Clan servers around .55 or so, I had 18 barrels hidden in the woods near Tulga.  No one ever found them.  Hiding barrels used to be great when you could put them in trees.  Everyone is gambling: some that people won't take the time to break in, some that people won't stand in just the right spot.  I like your odds better.

Yeah, of course there is also always the chance someone is watching you go to your stash. I don't bother hiding loot anymore. I keep what I can carry and generally travel light. When I die I die. I never go back to my body. But hiding barrels to me seems more realistic than building a big fort in the woods! 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:56 PM, Exxoduss said:

Im sorry to hear that.. I know the feeling gnawing inside, the anger, mixed with other emotions... "Why cant these lazy P****'s find there own loot like a man?!, Its no wonder this world is in the shape it is in!"  But in reality...  I could goto your house in real life and it would take me less then 20 minutes to use a sawz-all and physicaly cut a hole in the exterior wall of your house and gain enterance- I dont care what alarm system you have around the windows and doors. if a dog charges me it to would be cut in half. and if I felt extra awnry, I could cut the nails holding the tie.ins to your walls at corners and junctions, drop your sheetrock from your ceiling to expose the trusses and cut the truss tie ins to your exteroir wall, sweep along the bottom of the wall where the studs are nailed into the bottom plate and drop your entire exterior wall in less then an hour. something that would take up to a year to build, GONE in less then a few hours.

HAHAHA- You would come home from work to see the whole front side of your house laying flat on the ground, the roof sagging and drooping would become your new front porch.

And the sad thing is- your neighbors would think you hired me to do this

This is not real life. It should be realxing, not frustrating. Life its not "balanced" but game should be, telling other people crap like this have no sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 8:48 AM, Tonyeh said:

I dunno. There are rusted out tanks and columns of destroyed military and civvie vehicles which suggests a longer period than a few weeks.

They have clumps of 12" high grass growing through asphalt and concrete in some areas.  It looks like 10+ years of neglect.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 1:47 PM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yeah, of course there is also always the chance someone is watching you go to your stash. I don't bother hiding loot anymore. I keep what I can carry and generally travel light. When I die I die. I never go back to my body. But hiding barrels to me seems more realistic than building a big fort in the woods! 

Exactly.

A big structure just says "Hello!!! There's loot in here!!! See if you can break in to get it."

Me, I'm still just dumping my stuff in crates and dropping them on the ground. Running the same toon for over two months now and nobody has found my gear yet.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Base building is a colossal pain in the ass and not worth a fraction of the time or effort. 

people can hop over, phase through walls with knives and glow sticks, glitch under the map and into your base. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone’s car took off flying and crash landed inside a base. 

Edited by YeedMyLastHaw669
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 12:43 PM, agresorxf said:

This is not real life. It should be realxing, not frustrating. Life its not "balanced" but game should be, telling other people crap like this have no sense.

Its a SURVIVAL game! You are not ment to live and win. during/after or before your death. What good is a survival game if it is not realistic? If you want a balanced play planetside2, thats another fabulous game that is based on team balance. If it was up to me they would add Thermal vision in DayZ so the people that dont cheat have a counter-balance against those that do. I agree with what your saying partially. But I certainly dont expect an infected to just stop hitting and leave me alone because Iam going to die on the next swing... Although I have had that happen. Same with the bear- Sure it is frustrating when you dont hear it sneak up on you, but I certainly would notbe happy if it just left me alone because I was not expecting it to be there. Base building is a chance you take. But it definatly needs to be a bigger map for it to be "Balanced". That is one thing I respect DayZ for more then MOST designers/programmers is they DO NOT succumb to cry baby crap to dumb down the game and ruin it for everybody. If its going to be online- survival- why not Make it realistic? At least that way you can experience some of the consequences of your actions and not pretend drinking gasoline is harmless.

Edited by Exxoduss
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 10:38 PM, Exxoduss said:

Its a SURVIVAL game! You are not ment to live and win. during/after or before your death. What good is a survival game if it is not realistic? If you want a balanced play planetside2, thats another fabulous game that is based on team balance. If it was up to me they would add Thermal vision in DayZ so the people that dont cheat have a counter-balance against those that do. I agree with what your saying partially. But I certainly dont expect an infected to just stop hitting and leave me alone because Iam going to die on the next swing... Although I have had that happen. Same with the bear- Sure it is frustrating when you dont hear it sneak up on you, but I certainly would notbe happy if it just left me alone because I was not expecting it to be there. Base building is a chance you take. But it definatly needs to be a bigger map for it to be "Balanced". That is one thing I respect DayZ for more then MOST designers/programmers is they DO NOT succumb to cry baby crap to dumb down the game and ruin it for everybody. If its going to be online- survival- why not Make it realistic? At least that way you can experience some of the consequences of your actions and not pretend drinking gasoline is harmless.

Thanks for the decision. I have a similar question. I want to unload the database of products of the well-known site for the sale of furniture https://www.roomservice360.com/modern-living-room-furniture/chairs.html. How can this be done if I do not have access to the site?

Edited by Jons Walter

There is a secure method to keep items safe. Create another character in the same server. Find your main, have him drop items on ground. log in with "Storage character" Pick it up. Log off. Now you have a Safe you can visit whenever you need your items. Boom problem solved. I have 12 characters on the server I play. At least 4-5 are Storage Characters located in key areas I frequent with my playable characters. Makes for quick easy re gear up if you die, just ae your way to a storage character to have him drop you whatever you need.