Greensek

Stable Update 1.06

47 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Thank you and beans for one of the most informative posts in the recent time. I've learnt a lot, but I'm still scratching my beard in some places. Could you do me a big one and talk like to someone who doesn't regularly deal with such variables? I know this forum seems at times to consist only of professional devs, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a layman. 😉

ok, hope this helps

47 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

So again, what do the nominal, min and max do? I reread it several times and I don't think I full grasp it. Possibly a related question - what is the actual chance of triggering a pack/a bear when near a spawn point? Is it affected by other instances during the same server session? Does the 'time' on the server (i.e. time since restart), or other factors, matter at all?

I am extrapolating and observing when I say what I think they mean. All data is Chernarus

The nominal seems to relate to pack size. For the bears it was zero, no packs. Wolves have eight nominal so max pack of eight

min and max seem to relate to number of spawns on the map. Bears are two so two possible spawns. Wolves are four or six so up to six possible spawns.

probability = number of events/number of possible outcomes   (its a while since I did probability so . .. it wasnt my favorite subject )

I took the probability calc out. .. . .. too many parameters to give a good number

This is also a bit simplistic, because it could be that if you are the only player in a wolf spawning zone, and no wolves have spawned elsewhere the probability hits 100%.

I havent really read the code for this. It was bad enough reading the code for food and digestion processes. My reason for saying this was observing helicopter spawns and the troitskoe wolf experience (see below). I think the server must consider who is on the map and where they are and consider to spawn something next to the available player, if they are in the relevant area and there are no other considered spawns. But sitting and waiting for a helicopter never worked . . ..

for wolves there can only be 6 events, bears 2, on the map at any time. Strictly that should be included in the probability, but I assume no other spawns. But yes if there are six wolf packs/ two bears somewhere else on the map, you will not get a wolf or bear spawn.

I havent seen time having an effect. For my last server I was running a 24 hour restart cycle. Wolves and other animals appeared throughout the cycle. They do not spawn in just at the start of the server. But the server does spawn in the animals at random. For an empty server, wolves would spawn in regularly, clearly by some random function to put wolves in, if no other triggering occurred. I had a base near Tisy, and I could hear wolves spawning in, not on me (empty server (mostly))

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Can you find info about the aggro radius of a wolf pack? In the first itinerations it was possible to sneak up on them, but later I found out that no matter how much I crouch and sneak, the howling always comes before the visual. I came to conclude that they must have a 'magical detection' range. Is that true?

I believe aggro radius is safe radius, so for wolves, if you are within 200m of their spawn point and conditions are right you will get wolves. Bears have the same radius.

Sure, the howling is the trigger warning, but I have had wolves spawn right next to me with no howling as I approached Troitskoe through the woods. So it must be that while you are in the trigger area, it will consider to spawn. For the wolf that appeared next to me, up until that point there must have been wolves appearing elsewhere on the map.

Interestingly the behaviour of the animal is related to its pbo. I tried putting wolves in on the chickens territories, I got wolves behaving as chickens. It was very funny, walking up to a wolf cowering under a bush just like a chicken

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Do herbivores behave in any way similar to predators? I was quite sure that these spawn at the server restart and roam the map, mainly between water reservoirs (or at least that's what the devs assured us about back in the day). Can you find how many of deer/cow herds spawn? Or is there some other feature we haven't been told?

No. They dont seem to, but now hunger has become a killer (died twice as a freshspawn from hunger recently (not including Livonia)) I am going to be looking into it. They do spawn in (timing random) and wander around, and then despawn from what I see (from the days when hunger wasnt so critical)

As above, behaviour is coded individually in the pbo for each animal.

sure, I will pull the pbo files down and have a look

• Beans 4

I am not at all sure about this, but I think wolf spawns are not related to player positions at all, it seems to me they spawn and roam (howling) until they catch the "scent" of an animal or player. I have a few times been or driving and passed wolves chasing boars or deer across the road, the other day I came back to base to see a large flock take down a poor pig. Player proximity might be a factor considered when spawning a flock, but I am confident it is not a direct trigger. Otherwise you'd be fighting wolves non-stop when playing on low pop servers, but in reality there can be days or even weeks between encounters.

• Beans 1

5 minutes ago, Derleth said:

I am not at all sure about this, but I think wolf spawns are not related to player positions at all, it seems to me they spawn and roam (howling) until they catch the "scent" of an animal or player. I have a few times been or driving and passed wolves chasing boars or deer across the road, the other day I came back to base to see a large flock take down a poor pig. Player proximity might be a factor considered when spawning a flock, but I am confident it is not a direct trigger. Otherwise you'd be fighting wolves non-stop when playing on low pop servers, but in reality there can be days or even weeks between encounters.

Yes, this seems to be the case. I have observed several times upon server restart that wolves spawned in and immediately attacked the infected. Thus player proximity thus seems to be the trigger for attack, not spawning.

13 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Indeed, I was just trying to say that the player location is only one of the things the server seems to consider. Ive gone to tisy and seen the wolves are hard at it with the infected. But it sounds like that might be the old days now

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aux7 said:

Indeed, I was just trying to say that the player location is only one of the things the server seems to consider. Ive gone to tisy and seen the wolves are hard at it with the infected. But it sounds like that might be the old days now

Yeah, I hope it is only temporary until they're not launching each other into the air. After an infected vs wolf fight there often one or two of each caught on a roof..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aux7 said:

… 

and so you can suddenly have hordes of infected appearing. (number of times I have been in Tisy, and only seen five infected. I fire a shot and 20 plus rush me)

again I do not believe these spawn at server start, but only on player interaction. As from the start, if you saw infected in a town from a distance you knew a player was there. I dont see any change in that strategy. I have made an overwatch on electro and cherno from a distance (more than 700m), and when there were no players (empty server), there were no infected.

maybe someone who has increased the infected can offer their opinion? 

Yes and it's really stupid at times. You come to a secluded place with one or two infected and all of a sudden there are 20 of them rushing you because you fired a shot, but regardless of how many there were you simply get rushed by a horde. They also respawn ridiculously quickly and even if they are on the other end of town they will practically teleport near you when you're not looking. 

I wonder how close do you have to be for them to spawn in. I have observed the same from distance that no infected were spawned in, but also when stalking towns long time may pass (30-60 minutes) during which no player comes by but infected do not despawn. Some areas like military and camps to me seem like they are always populated by infected regardless of player vicinity. 

14 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Yeah, I hope it is only temporary until they're not launching each other into the air. After an infected vs wolf fight there often one or two of each caught on a roof..

Yeah or they just climb it for no reason … but it always spooks me because the immediate thought is, player in the house 😄 

7 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Yes and it's really stupid at times. You come to a secluded place with one or two infected and all of a sudden there are 20 of them rushing you because you fired a shot, but regardless of how many there were you simply get rushed by a horde. They also respawn ridiculously quickly and even if they are on the other end of town they will practically teleport near you when you're not looking.

indeed

8 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

I wonder how close do you have to be for them to spawn in. I have observed the same from distance that no infected were spawned in, but also when stalking towns long time may pass (30-60 minutes) during which no player comes by but infected do not despawn. Some areas like military and camps to me seem like they are always populated by infected regardless of player vicinity.

On an empty server, I have not seen infected spawning outside of a 700m radius of me.

I presume the infected have a lifetime from spawn, but the number in the files does not make sense.

• Beans 1

4 minutes ago, aux7 said:

indeed

On an empty server, I have not seen infected spawning outside of a 700m radius of me.

I presume the infected have a lifetime from spawn, but the number in the files does not make sense.

May be that once they are spawned they stay there until killed. 

Edited by William Sternritter

Also also, the "other extreme" is when you come to a location, there are no infected and it will take some time for them to spawn. There are no dead bodies either so it does not look like player(s) killed the previous bunch and left just before you came. Problem is as with all of these, I can never 100% tell if this is a result of player activity or just some random glitch in the game. This effect that there will be no infected on location started quite recently. Sometimes it just seems like the game takes time to realize, you're looking at the location and there should be some infected but other times …. 🤨

• Beans 1

Remember there are static and dynamic spawns for infected. The static ones are always active while dynamic are triggered by players coming within the spawn trigger radius. I like having static infected in all important locations, so it is not so player dependant. Makes the world feel more alive.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

Finally some good info and discussions taking place here. I like. 

Beans to all!

• Like 3
  • Beans 1

Has zed alertness been cranked up? Either vision or hearing?

I'm noticing more and more that when i do a slow incursion into say a small roadside military checkpoint with a hatchet or can of tac bacon. Even if I bait a zed out or deal with them away from the others that now with current patch hitting a zed with a melee seems to draw aggro from a much greater distance.

Trying to pinpoint the issue since i'm not sure if its my melee drawing the attention or the zed scream that can bring more infected. Can zeds hear other zeds when they agro and then join in? Trying to adjust my playstyle for more optimal incursions since obviously if their are any players camping in that checkpoint then they would def know i'm there.

10 hours ago, aux7 said:

The nominal seems to relate to pack size. For the bears it was zero, no packs. Wolves have eight nominal so max pack of eight

Thanks for your input. The 'solo bear/wolf pack' is simple enough, but the above variable still gives me a pause. Shouldn't the value for bears be 1, for a '1-bear pack'? If 0 is 'no pack', then why 8 is 'an 8-wolf pack'? How would a value of 1 behave in this case? It's not important to the gameplay, I'm just curious about the numbers.

10 hours ago, aux7 said:

This is also a bit simplistic, because it could be that if you are the only player in a wolf spawning zone, and no wolves have spawned elsewhere the probability hits 100%.

Sometimes I play this 1pp near-empty server to wind up after a day  of work, and I take my SKS and just roam around wolf spawns (Nespesnov, Devil's and Black Mountain castles), often alone on the server, straight after the restart. Sometimes I can't find a target for a long time (up to 20 spawn points). What is the possible reason for that?

For that matter, I almost always find wolves at the Eastern entrance to Tisy, but as mentioned recently here, they'd usually get a surprisingly heavy beating from the nearby zeds. Not a challenge to finish them off.

Also worth noting, the first wolves introduced would roam in packs of 7. Sorry to hear the devs scaled it down.

10 hours ago, aux7 said:

I believe aggro radius is safe radius, so for wolves, if you are within 200m of their spawn point and conditions are right you will get wolves. Bears have the same radius.

Sure, the howling is the trigger warning, but I have had wolves spawn right next to me with no howling as I approached Troitskoe through the woods. So it must be that while you are in the trigger area, it will consider to spawn. For the wolf that appeared next to me, up until that point there must have been wolves appearing elsewhere on the map.

So in practical terms, should I read it as 'forget about sneaking on wolves'? No amount of crawling and laying prone, listening and scoping would help me with that?

Hunting in DayZ should really be closer to something which pretends to be hunting.

Anyway, great discussion, most of other game forums have that as a standard instead of bitching about development.

9 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Thanks for your input. The 'solo bear/wolf pack' is simple enough, but the above variable still gives me a pause. Shouldn't the value for bears be 1, for a '1-bear pack'? If 0 is 'no pack', then why 8 is 'an 8-wolf pack'? How would a value of 1 behave in this case? It's not important to the gameplay, I'm just curious about the numbers.

I cannot answer that one. There are a number of cases where the numbers dont make sense, but then you read the code, and you can see how it works.

admittedly a 1 for bears would make more sense. But people are

starting to announce seeing bears in Chernarus, so 0 must somehow work. ( I havent seen one yet, but since the 1.06 release I am stuck near the coast . . .)

Sometimes I play this 1pp near-empty server to wind up after a day  of work, and I take my SKS and just roam around wolf spawns (Nespesnov, Devil's and Black Mountain castles), often alone on the server, straight after the restart. Sometimes I can't find a target for a long time (up to 20 spawn points). What is the possible reason for that?

sure, ive done the same. I cannot explain it. I would have to read the code to work it out.

For that matter, I almost always find wolves at the Eastern entrance to Tisy, but as mentioned recently here, they'd usually get a surprisingly heavy beating from the nearby zeds. Not a challenge to finish them off.

sure I used to have a base near Tisy, I would regularly see wolves (not every time, once every couple of days)

So in practical terms, should I read it as 'forget about sneaking on wolves'? No amount of crawling and laying prone, listening and scoping would help me with that?

Hunting in DayZ should really be closer to something which pretends to be hunting.

It would be more interesting if wolves spawned in like the other animals and then tried to find a target or you found them, but I suspect that that would lead to fewer wolf/player interactions. When you look at player heat maps the NWAF is the biggest magnet on the map, and players follow very well trodden tracks . .  . and a lot of it doesnt go through wolf territories. 

The wolves have different types of territories, and I thought that that might give rise to different behaviours, but no. It may be that this is a future feature to come. there are so many things in the files that have not appeared yet so .. .

For hunting, there would have to be tracking and consistent lives, instead of the spawn in and spawn out that we currently have.
Tracking/hunting players would be interesting . .. . . But I dont see how it could be enabled (tracks on the ground, path through bushes etc).

The release of the new scarlet xbox and new ps5 around the holidays late next year, and the subsequent (rumored) increase in processing power, may be the next opportunity for the game to improve in complexity and/or quality

• Beans 1

Hola

172px-OldTacticalVest01a.png 

How about returning this item to the DayZ ?

And how to add a notepad with illustrations from Asmondian. Make it a game item that can be found in the house in the starting locations. Which will greatly help new players.

Asmondian ❤️

1 hour ago, hegra said:

Hola

172px-OldTacticalVest01a.png 

How about returning this item to the DayZ ?

And how to add a notepad with illustrations from Asmondian. Make it a game item that can be found in the house in the starting locations. Which will greatly help new players.

Asmondian ❤️

Why should a military vest be in starting locations? I would understand a simple four pocket vest that people wear when they go fishing or such. Also, there already are two or three variations of this item.

27 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Why should a military vest be in starting locations? I would understand a simple four pocket vest that people wear when they go fishing or such. Also, there already are two or three variations of this item.

I'm talking about a notebook with elustations for new players, and the armor is simply returned.

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

They aren't referring to the vest, they are referring to the notepad with illustrations suggestion. 

2 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

The vest is a Police Vest not military 

15 hours ago, aux7 said:

It would be more interesting if wolves spawned in like the other animals and then tried to find a target or you found them, but I suspect that that would lead to fewer wolf/player interactions. When you look at player heat maps the NWAF is the biggest magnet on the map, and players follow very well trodden tracks . .  . and a lot of it doesnt go through wolf territories. 

They could just add more wolf spawns on the way to the NWAF. 😉 Granted, it's possible to skip forests when going through Sobors/Kabanino.

Anyhow, thanks for all the input and keep us posted if you notice something. I'm interested in all tiny info related to animal AI.

Hello Survivors, 

We released a new update that aims to fix potential crashes related to object placement and manipulation.

Please, give us your feedback once you get to try it.

Thank you.

-Greensek

What about consoles? We have a lot of issues as well, especially with crashing servers....

nvm:

Edited by SillyJoe

2 hours ago, Greensek said:

Hello Survivors, 

We released a new update that aims to fix potential crashes related to object placement and manipulation.

Please, give us your feedback once you get to try it.

Thank you.

-Greensek

How exactly do you go backwards in version numbers?! Experimental was 1.06.152871 but on stable it's 1.06.152858?

Edited by Uncle Zed