KungAndersNo1

Dogtags

I would like the devs to implement dogtags for players. It would be cool to know the players gamename and maybe  the avatars age since spawn. Im always curious about who  I kill. Or interact with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andyyypandyyy said:

Good idea but then you'll get me on a bad day who if I kill you I'd just message you trolling haha

I think that's the exact reason why it's a bad idea. 

It was cool in the battlefield series because, at least in my experience, you had very few salty toxic players that would go out of their way to message you bragging that they killed you and to 'git gud, boi' etc, however, DayZ having the community that it does, this would just further increase the toxicity of the player base.

I don't know if this is a regular occurance on all servers, but on my server, which is relatively quiet, I'll have randoms send out chat invites to the server to try and hone in on and pvp with players just going about their business. 

Imagine if these players, who only view DayZ as another pvp game got a hold of the dogtags of players who didn't want to pvp in the first place and didn't put up much of a fight? 

IMO, this would send more players away from the game than all the bugs and the hoarding combined.

It's a form of bullying and if I'm coming onto DayZ to escape my life (not saying that is the case) and I'm getting harassed by some guy who got my dogtags, that's not going to make the game better for me. 

Inb4 "just block them", no, if it's not in the game, it isn't an issue to begin with. 

My 2 cents. 

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

How exactly would another player message you? Especially if a lot of the players are still running around with the default "Survivor_##" name? 

Default survivor name? I've only ever seen gamer tags

2 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Default survivor name? I've only ever seen gamer tags

Well, this must be a console thing then. But if you already see the gamer tags anyone can harass you, right? 

Anywho, even without the added layer of possible harassment or whatever, this would be quite an odd thing for everyone to have by default. Maybe optional, i.e. you find empty tags and can wear them and get something inscribed on them. That being said, basically we just need pen to return to the game. Yeah … in the old days you could write on a piece of paper and leave messages that way. You could also plant a paper with a message on a dead body, so that anyone who is reading it stands still for a few seconds … you get the point. 

1 hour ago, William Sternritter said:

Well, this must be a console thing then. But if you already see the gamer tags anyone can harass you, right? 

I don't know what you mean? In the server menu where players are listed, the list of names is your gamer tag. I gather Playstation actually shows your tag when you aim at someone but this isn't on xbox thank god. 

1 minute ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I don't know what you mean? In the server menu where players are listed, the list of names is your gamer tag. I gather Playstation actually shows your tag when you aim at someone but this isn't on xbox thank god. 

Nothing like this exists on PC, at least on the official servers 🙂 maybe on a private server you can see the list of players, but anyway you can type whatever name for your char or leave it default. So there really is no way to get a hold of the others outside the game unless you also join Discord or something like that. 

21 minutes ago, William Sternritter said:

Nothing like this exists on PC, at least on the official servers 🙂 maybe on a private server you can see the list of players, but anyway you can type whatever name for your char or leave it default. So there really is no way to get a hold of the others outside the game unless you also join Discord or something like that. 

Ah I see what you mean. No, console has no option to change name. It would be a nice feature though. 

10 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

I think that's the exact reason why it's a bad idea. 

It was cool in the battlefield series because, at least in my experience, you had very few salty toxic players that would go out of their way to message you bragging that they killed you and to 'git gud, boi' etc, however, DayZ having the community that it does, this would just further increase the toxicity of the player base.

I don't know if this is a regular occurance on all servers, but on my server, which is relatively quiet, I'll have randoms send out chat invites to the server to try and hone in on and pvp with players just going about their business. 

Imagine if these players, who only view DayZ as another pvp game got a hold of the dogtags of players who didn't want to pvp in the first place and didn't put up much of a fight? 

IMO, this would send more players away from the game than all the bugs and the hoarding combined.

It's a form of bullying and if I'm coming onto DayZ to escape my life (not saying that is the case) and I'm getting harassed by some guy who got my dogtags, that's not going to make the game better for me. 

Inb4 "just block them", no, if it's not in the game, it isn't an issue to begin with. 

My 2 cents. 

So because you had a bad experience, it is a bad idea? We've had plenty of times where we added the people who killed us/who we killed on Steam (if it's a low pop or we knew who it was) and had a civil conversation. We've even had an instance where the two who we were fighting ended up playing a few sessions with us.

Perhaps it's the server which you play on, since I never had a rando add me in Steam trying to get some PvP.

It's a good idea and I believe even the developers back in the day liked this idea. It's not the first time someone has suggested this. It's also way better than the "Check pulse" option we had back in the day.

12 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

How exactly would another player message you? Especially if a lot of the players are still running around with the default "Survivor_##" name? 

Dude, this is the xbox section. Things are different to pc. Maybe you can select whatever name you want regardless of your steam acct name, but us console plebs cannot. We just open up the menu, select 'online' and a list of everyone who is on the server appears and we can then add those names to a group chat. Furthermore, those gamer tags will be saved as people we have chatted to, so in days, weeks, or months, we can track these people down again. 

8 hours ago, IMT said:

So because you had a bad experience, it is a bad idea? We've had plenty of times where we added the people who killed us/who we killed on Steam (if it's a low pop or we knew who it was) and had a civil conversation. We've even had an instance where the two who we were fighting ended up playing a few sessions with us.

Perhaps it's the server which you play on, since I never had a rando add me in Steam trying to get some PvP.

It's a good idea and I believe even the developers back in the day liked this idea. It's not the first time someone has suggested this. It's also way better than the "Check pulse" option we had back in the day.

So because you had a good experience it's a good idea? 

Oh, of course; perhaps it's because of my decision. I should have known that all bad things that happen to me are of my own making, lol! 

Again, this is the xbox section. Your experiences on pc with pc players are irrelevant. Console players who come to DayZ to pvp usually do so coz they are tired of sucking at actual dedicated pvp games and so are looking for easy kills. Does this sound like a respectful and mature person to you? Well, I have not been so naive to meet up with any such players, however, I have engaged with them in conversation and I can assure you that they are craving for blood and when you don't seem to be falling for their tricks of meeting up with them to "trade", they resort to name-calling and harassment. 

Now, I can hear you thinking "but if you answer the chat request, they'll have your I game contact details anyway, so what's the difference?" 

The difference is that they will have conquered you and have a trophy with your name on it reminding them that they are awesome and that you were their biznitch and to send you a message to get a rise from you is cocaine to the mind of a bully. No matter what you say, if you are foolish enough to do so, they merely comeback with 'I got your tags, pussy.' 

At the end of the day, if the devs add dog tags, all that means for me is I won't be using them. 

But heed my words, ye who would take the dog tags and inscribe thine name upon them, heed my words. 

/rant

On 10/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, William Sternritter said:

What world you been living in? Default survivor_## get outta here with that! If youre on console you'll see their names/GT. You thinking of vigor or something 😅

1 minute ago, LyrikalD said:

What world you been living in? Default survivor_## get outta here with that! If youre on console you'll see their names/GT. You thinking of vigor or something 😅

I'm not on console (at least not for DayZ), so I was curious. Thanks for chiming in though … it's not like you're late or missed the rest of the conversation … 😄

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

I'm not on console (at least not for DayZ), so I was curious. Thanks for chiming in though … it's not like you're late or missed the rest of the conversation … 😄

PC player yet youre in the Xbox section? Okay then.... 🤦‍♂️

Late or not I'm here now 🙋‍♂️ and how could i miss anything? I read it from top to bottom before i replied 😄 I see someone else corrected you too but ya know 🤷‍♂️ I like to chime in 😉

I don't think it's a bad thing for pc players to have an input in the discussion. I don't think it helps anyone to have a divisive forum. 

6 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I don't think it's a bad thing for pc players to have an input in the discussion. I don't think it helps anyone to have a divisive forum. 

Look I get that, everyone Does have a right for input, freedom of speech and all that. But there is a PC section and a seperate Xbox section for a reason. 

Wii players could have input on the topic but it would be an invalid point as it shouldve been in the respective forum. Not here to divide anyone just confused how someone who has never played DayZ on xbox can comment on it 🤷‍♂️

23 minutes ago, LyrikalD said:

Look I get that, everyone Does have a right for input, freedom of speech and all that. But there is a PC section and a seperate Xbox section for a reason. 

Wii players could have input on the topic but it would be an invalid point as it shouldve been in the respective forum. Not here to divide anyone just confused how someone who has never played DayZ on xbox can comment on it 🤷‍♂️

Yet game mechanics are the same, in case you didn't notice. So if someone is proposing a game mechanic like permanent dog tags that every character will wear it does not matter which section it is. You can be quite sure, devs will not make it XB only. Which is why I'm able to advise someone in PS4 section, because we're all stuck in the same mess. Also, it gives you and us guys to get to know that there are still some differences due to how the infrastructure works on consoles and so on, which is not a bad thing to learn. 

But of course … you can always be a dick about it and resolutely say I should not comment in your section 😛 

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, LyrikalD said:

But there is a PC section and a seperate Xbox section for a reason.

Plenty of console players chip in to pc threads. It's that not OK either then? 

6 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Plenty of console players chip in to pc threads. It's that not OK either then? 

Didnt realise they do? Id say freedom and rights of speech, if thats where they choose then thats their prerogative but at the same time as only a console player i wouldnt feel comfortable talking on a subject in which i have no experience or experienced knowledge. (DayZ PC) Ive seen alot of DayZ on PC i mean how else are people hyped about the console version, and religiously watch frankieonpc. (Why i even know of the game) but you wont see me complaining about console stuff in the PC section that just seems counter intuitive 😂

3 hours ago, LyrikalD said:

you wont see me complaining about console stuff in the PC section that just seems counter intuitive 😂

The person you complained about though wasn't complaining. He was joining in a discussion about a suggested game mechanic. As stated elsewhere in this thread, it's healthy to have discourse between pc and console players.