XFileGunner88

Duping ruined game for me

Not sure what topic this should have gone in but I just want to state that I’ve heard of duping and thought to myself, why? 

So my buddy and I were runner around, firing at zombies and running low on ammo. Another plyr wandered over, friendly and asked to join. We said sure. We ran a few towns up and click click click.... out of ammo. 

The guy who joined us had some but said let’s go in a house. We followed. He asked if we dupe. We said no. He said well I’m almost out of ammo so hang tight. 

He kept jumping in and out of server, each time, you guessed it duping ammo.... so we took some, it got to be about midnight so my buddy and I said thanks for running with us, gotta go. 

When i I woke up the next day I emailed my buddy saying what’s the point of the game if you can get guns, ammo and ANYTHING you want to have, dupe it a few times, STASH it, and never worry about getting killed? Isn’t that the point of the game? To be cautious, stealthy and not die or SURVIVE? 

I can honestly say the next day I went into a house off the coast, dropped an 80backpack, left dupped ammo and extra M4 along w a few other dupped items and exited the server. 

I want NO PART of duping. It kinda ruined the game for us because now I’m almost certain most everyone is doing it(YouTube videos prove it) and that’s why everyone doesn’t care if they get into heavy fire fights or die because they have a STASH waiting for them to go get and restart. 

So that’s my 2 cents. And I believe if the Dev don’t fix this, this game won’t be around by years end. 

I hope this isn’t the case. I love this game. I’m 50, and this game is what I’ve been waiting for..... it’s a true survival game and the little things that can ruin the game are ruining the game. 

I have 2 guys, one I run solo when my buddy isn’t playing the other is when we run together  

XFileGunner 

xFileGunner86

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Duping has been in the game for very very long. The best is to find a nice community and play on private hives that monitor cheaters/dupers/glitchers/etc. That way you won't be plagued by the duping problem.

But, as the problem persists, you can ask yourself if it will ever truly disappear. The first time I saw duping was in Diablo 1 back in the 90's. Almost 30 years later and it's still a thing in many video games.....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

Duping has been in the game for very very long. The best is to find a nice community and play on private hives that monitor cheaters/dupers/glitchers/etc. That way you won't be plagued by the duping problem.

But, as the problem persists, you can ask yourself if it will ever truly disappear. The first time I saw duping was in Diablo 1 back in the 90's. Almost 30 years later and it's still a thing in many video games.....

I suggested a while ago (AND again NOW)  that key loot items - probably just Mil Weapons would be a BIG help  - are given Serial Numbers (like IRL arms) - digitally it means only ONE BYTE added to the parameters of the unique spawn item  "xxx-yyy-Gun" when it spawns on a server. Then, at specific events, check the serial numbers - and if two are the same anywhere on the server,  vanish the items, and - if you can, also hang the owner/owners (literally) from a lamp post in the nearest town.

Dupers have to finish their manipulation in the dupe-location server to collect their dupe-loot. If they move on to another server, and a friend takes the dupe-loot to them, then 2 serial numbers match on the "other" server (vanish them/hang them).

dupers could get away with it for a while by never hanging out on the same server with two items with identical serial numbers, but it is not their style to split up forever, or carefully scatter their loot.. it renders the exercise totally pointless - and solo dupers couldn't do it (they have to return to or stay on the original server) .. 

the max number of one single item (high loot value item)  spawned on a server is NOT vast (not 16 thousand, for instance)  .. one byte will cover ALL unique identifiers .. front end bits indicating the server of origin (to avoid having to cross check all servers when assigning or checking a serial number)

THEN check the server list of THAT item for duplicate serials when a player logs in, and at 20 min intervals across the server?- or random checks - check serials for one key item, then at another time check serials for another key item - (AND you only have to check items that are stored or carried by a player)
- how many clicks would that take per hour for the handful of key spawn items that dupers love?

This would mess up dupers something terrible !
(specially if you hang them without trial when you catch them)

It would not stop them duping completely (eg) ammo or spark plugs,  but would stop them duping the "good stuff"- for instance automatic rifles & mil tents, etc.. which is MAINLY what folk are complaining about, and MAINLY what dupers want to dupe.
Right ??

What have I missed? - what is WRONG with this idea ? - please? - serious question, anybody ??  @ImpulZ ??

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2
  • Beans 2

18 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I suggested a while ago (AND again NOW)  that key loot items - probably just Mil Weapons would be a BIG help  - are given Serial Numbers (like IRL arms) - digitally it means only ONE BYTE added to the parameters of the unique spawn item  "xxx-yyy-Gun" when it spawns on a server. Then, at specific events, check the serial numbers - and if two are the same anywhere on the server,  vanish the items, and - if you can, also hang the owner/owners (literally) from a lamp post in the nearest town. 

Dupers have to finish their manipulation in the dupe-location server to collect their dupe-loot. If they move on to another server, and a friend takes the dupe-loot to them, then 2 serial numbers match on the "other" server (vanish them/hang them).

dupers could get away with it for a while by never hanging out on the same server with two items with identical serial numbers, but it is not their style to split up forever, or carefully scatter their loot.. it renders the exercise totally pointless - and solo dupers couldn't do it (they have to return to or stay on the original server) .. 

the max number of one single item (high loot value item)  spawned on a server is NOT vast (not 16 thousand, for instance)  .. one byte will cover ALL unique identifiers .. front end bits indicating the server of origin (to avoid having to cross check all servers when assigning or checking a serial number)

THEN check the server list of THAT item for duplicate serials when a player logs in, and at 20 min intervals across the server?- or random checks - check serials for one key item, then at another time check serials for another key item - (AND you only have to check items that are stored or carried by a player)
- how many clicks would that take per hour for the handful of key spawn items that dupers love?

This would mess up dupers something terrible !
(specially if you hang them without trial when you catch them)

It would not stop them duping completely (eg) ammo or spark plugs,  but would stop them duping the "good stuff"- for instance automatic rifles & mil tents, etc.. which is MAINLY what folk are complaining about, and MAINLY what dupers want to dupe.
Right ??

What have I missed? - what is WRONG with this idea ? - please? - serious question, anybody ??  @ImpulZ ??

xxp

You have to be aware that we are talking about a public server hive, connecting dozens of servers. Even if we "just marked" all automatic weapons on the servers, we would end up with hundreds of items which need to have numbers assigned - across servers. Because when Player 1 goes to a different server, he needs to have a different number for his weapon then what's already available there. Meaning we end up with a number as big as all automatic weapons on one server (X) times all servers on the hive (Y) (we are talking 5 figures already, and that would not include duping connected to base building/ammunition etc). Even if we were able to establish this kind of naming and cross-checking of all those items every few minutes (optimal would be to check with every new player logging in) without impacting performance, we still had to check across all servers. Why? Because otherwise players could just dupe weapons from one server to another, meaning server 1 could receive "weapon copies" from servers 2, 3, 4 and so on... It is also important for the server to know which weapon number he is allowed to respawn.

All that effort and massive performance impact just to avoid double weapons and mitigate the damage done by duping. It is just not feasible.

----

However, we do not ignore the issue of duping. On the contrary, it's a massive thorn in our eye. Which is why we are looking into solutions for not only this problem, but also the ghosting issue, as both are partially related to server hopping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was watching a stream last night on twitch and someone in chat said that it doesnt work anymore and has  been solved? Is this correct and if so is it just now waiting for a full wipe for normal service to be resumed @ImpulZ

21 hours ago, XFileGunner88 said:

A “nice” community? Which would be? Any Recommendations?

thanks in advance

The DayZ Underground, DayZ Village, the =UN= or the Colony. Personally these are my top four. Be aware that apart from the Colony (US-2 is roleplay/pvp while US-3 is PVE only) all the others are 1PP only.

But these servers threat glitchers or cheaters severely, and have pretty high population.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:14 PM, pilgrim* said:

snip

I remember about 2 years ago when Eugene was talking about a system exactly like that. That was their solution, to have every item have a specific "hash" file attached to them so that when 2 identical hashes were detected on the server, one of the items was going to vanish. (get deleted)

Sadly after many changes to the CLE and mechanics, it was abandoned completely....    :( 

It's the only real way to remove duping the in game.

Thus why I ONLY play on certain private hives that monitor any form of abuse.

Edited by odin_lowe
typo
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

29 minutes ago, odin_lowe said:

Thus why I ONLY play on certain private hives that monitor any form of abuse.

I play both, public hive - and private shard servers now that some modding is coming in, for the interesting changes

Also, public hive gives a great opportunity to Hunt Dupers (mainly dumb herd animals but some can be extremely dangerous and they attack without provocation) .. so its a fine sport.. no rules open season any kind of weapon  - a game worth playing in itself

[ reminds me - there are NO Boar Spears in DayZ - terrible oversight - a functional Boar Spear is a traditional coup-de-grace hunting device, still a contemporary arm in Europe - and today they are plentiful on the web (even Amazon)  and they do a damn good job (the Vikings thought so too) . .. heh .. scuse me.. just saying  ..  was mostly thinking about hunting Dupers  - seeing as we cant hang them.. 
... ho-hum

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

. .. heh .. scuse me.. just saying  ..  was mostly thinking about hunting Dupers  - seeing as we cant hang them.. 

... ho-hum

A lot of lost potential there.

It would have been great if the devs froze a duper from a pole, as you mentioned, however their survival requirements were frozen whilst they hung around waiting for their several week to months long punishment to end. All while sporting a “I am a duper” sign around their shoulders.

If someone likely finds them, they are able to be killed, though they’ll just spawn back on another pole regardless, until their time has been served.

This may seem rather dark, however it would surely be damn effective on a personal level.