DayzDayzFanboy

Loot respawns

Sorry to start another loot spawn topic. Can't remember this specific thing in the threads so forgive me if it's been mentioned before. 

I was watching someones base on the server I normally go on and was checking the sheds round about looking for burlap. I found two sea chests in a shed. I'm pretty sure they were a natural spawn and not placed. They were also empty. It just so happened that at that moment the server restarted. I was expecting it to, as it had just given the one minute warning. Upon reentry to the server, the same two chests were in the same shed. So, I assumed they had been placed after all. But then I noticed the other buildings I'd been on also had the exact same loot in them after the restart. Now, I was always under the impression that loot respawned with random items after a server restart. Is this not the case? 

Loot respawns has nothing to do with server restarts.

It's based on proximity. Pick up an item, walk far enough away, walk back, new loot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

Loot respawns has nothing to do with server restarts.

??  so when EVER  an Xbox server restarts it automatically remembers where every single individual item of spawn - type, item, and location - is at shutdown, across the whole map ??

Please explain your theory.  On PC this has never been the case.

9 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

??  so when EVER  an Xbox server restarts it automatically remembers where every single individual item of spawn - type, item, and location - is at shutdown, across the whole map ??

Please explain your theory.  On PC this has never been the case.

I know you've mentioned old dayz veterans before, but who do you know that probably has the best knowledge of loot mechanics in the current build? It would be interesting to know if or how they have changed loot mechanics from previous versions. 

10 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I know you've mentioned old dayz veterans before, but who do you know that probably has the best knowledge of loot mechanics in the current build? It would be interesting to know if or how they have changed loot mechanics from previous versions. 

Yes it would be interesting to know if an Xbox server relocates all loot items as they were before each restart. And also the REASON for it. I don't know the software answer to this and I have NEVER heard or experienced that all Xbox spawned loot is persistent on restart. Man Parts 241 claims it is, but I think he's being offhand.  From my experience with PC I cant see any reason for implementing such a heavy functional change, for extremely minimal & doubtful player benefit.

For best factual knowledge of Xbox restart loot mechanics - ask ImpulZ

Modders & PC server owners doing backups will tell you how it works on PC.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Yes it would be interesting to know if an Xbox server relocates all loot items as they were before each restart. And also the REASON for it. I don't know the software answer to this and I have NEVER heard or experienced that all Xbox spawned loot is persistent on restart. Man Parts 241 claims it is, but I think he's being offhand.  From my experience with PC I cant see any reason for implementing such a heavy functional change, for extremely minimal & doubtful player benefit.

For best factual knowledge of Xbox restart loot mechanics - ask ImpulZ

Modders & PC server owners doing backups will tell you how it works on PC.

Isn't this normal? I've not seen a proper loot respawn in a while now. No matter if it's a crash or a scheduled restart the loot is allways the same when I get back to the server. Only if I take something and come back later there's something new.

2 hours ago, nikoor said:

Isn't this normal?

It would mean that for a server restart, the entire whole game database of every single loot item on the map would have to be backed up and then restored competely  - not just player items etc... I can't see any advantage to this.  Perhaps someone has a rational explanation of why Xbox servers would do that?    What is the advantage, either to the player or to the game persistence software?   Is this part of solving "the persistence problem"  ?
p.s. If all loot items are backed up and restored, then all zombies in their current locations at reset should be backed up and restored too ? Might as well be? Easier to do it than to specially exclude them from "total persistence" 

I think the only solution is - ask ImpulZ

drop him a mail

p.s. there is a  discussion on PC that might be related :

Edited by pilgrim*

18 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I think the only solution is - ask ImpulZ

If you @ me, I will see it as well. :)

On both PC and Xbox, when you restart a server with persistence enabled, all items (both stored and in the open world) and dynamic events remain at the same position (ruined ones are probably an exception). Animals and infected are reset.

This is mostly so you don't lose your items on the ground due to a restart and to avoid players jumping at restarted servers to get "fresh loot".

• Thanks 7

57 minutes ago, ImpulZ said:

(ruined ones are probably an exception)

Can confirm. I am under the belief that ruined bags and clothing fall under the "clean up" part of the CLE code so they will disappear or "de-spawn" once dropped and leaving server, although I'm sure there is also a proximity de-spawn part of the code as well at work here most likely? My example is I drop my ruined backpack and leave the server it will de-spawn, but if another player was in the same vicinity and close enough to see the item, it would not de-spawn? I haven't tested the latter, but ruined items definitely de-spawn with no other players in the area apon leaving servers.

5 hours ago, Man Parts 241 said:

Offhand? Lol looks like I was right.

Just read everything and yes, this is normal (might was different before tho at some point, i cant remember ). Zombies btw respawn too, not only loot.

7 hours ago, xzDIABLOzx said:

Can confirm. I am under the belief that ruined bags and clothing fall under the "clean up" part of the CLE code so they will disappear or "de-spawn" once dropped and leaving server, although I'm sure there is also a proximity de-spawn part of the code as well at work here most likely? My example is I drop my ruined backpack and leave the server it will de-spawn, but if another player was in the same vicinity and close enough to see the item, it would not de-spawn? I haven't tested the latter, but ruined items definitely de-spawn with no other players in the area apon leaving servers.

If you die, leave, and someone is there, your shit will still be there as long as there's someone in vicinity.

I literally just died, left, came back, and suicided until I got a spawn close to my stuff. I was in electro btw. My buddy was there standing next to my corpse. I got all of my stuff back.

Just a heads up. 4416 has some jackass thinking he's a dj in electro. Just found out you can't kill speakers lol

Edited by Man Parts 241
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1