Tindus

Base building waste of time

Last night I spent hours creating a base on a oficial server, and today when the server was restarted it completely disappeared...

wtf is this? a joke? to spend hours building? and a server restart we lost all ??

Probably among the most disruptive bugs currently out there... are you sure some dbag didn’t just come out and tear it down on you? As has been said often- hours to build / minutes to tear down. 

21 hours ago, eno said:

Probably among the most disruptive bugs currently out there... are you sure some dbag didn’t just come out and tear it down on you? As has been said often- hours to build / minutes to tear down. 

Yea bro, im still waiting for fixes!

27 minutes ago, choppinbroccoli said:

Yeah this bug really is a game breaker. We all know the devs know about it and hopefully they will have a fix in a few days.

I know you're not new around here but your optimism is... hmmm... Well let's just say that getting a fix for broken persistence in a few days may not be in the cards. 

Don't get me wrong- I think everyone wants one but "in a few days" isn't realistic.

Edited by eno

1 minute ago, eno said:

I know you're not new around here but your optimism is... hmmm... Well let's just say that getting a fix for broken persistence in a few days may not be in the cards. 

Have to keep the faith bro, it doesn't do any good to keep a negative attitude.

Just now, choppinbroccoli said:

Have to keep the faith bro, it doesn't do any good to keep a negative attitude.

Because staying positive has helped. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, choppinbroccoli said:

Because staying negative doesn't help anyone.

It provides a realistic expectation for people who haven't had 6 years of exposure to this title.

I'm not new to the game, nor the forums- there are times to be positive like acknowledging high points in the game, sharing experiences and interacting in the community. 

Then there is time for being realistic. 

This persistence shit isn't going away in a few days and it's practically idiotic to suggest it. 

Smarten up. 

Edited by eno

1 minute ago, eno said:

It provides a realistic expectation for people who haven't had 6 years of exposure to this title.

I'm not new to the game, nor the forums- there are times to be positive like acknowledging high points in the game, sharing experiences and interacting in the community. 

There there is time for being realistic. 

This persistence shit isn't going away in a few days and it's practically idiotic to suggest it. 

Smarten up. 

OK I am stupid for having faith in a game that you don't, yep that makes me ignorant.

OK I am stupid for having faith in a game that you don't, yep that makes me ignorant.

I guess we'll see in a few days, won't we. 

Yes we will, Happy New Year

Your optimism knows no boundaries! 

Kidding. 

Happy New Year to you too. 

3 hours ago, eno said:

Then there is time for being realistic. 

Smarten up. 

Staying on topic, I'm looking forward to read the book When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World and since recently I've had no doubt that good chunks of it will apply to this very board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Prophecy_Fails

This "optimism" you guys talk about is really nothing more than a coping mechanism.

• Beans 1

55 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

This "optimism" you guys talk about is really nothing more than a coping mechanism.

And I take it you cant "cope" so get over it and move on. Some people can be positive unlike you.

The reality of the situation is that the persistence issues are tied to server crashes which have been happening in all versions of DayZ in one form or another going back to the original Arma II mod in early 2013.  The DayZ Server can crash for many reasons, so this isn't going to be a quick fix on the part of the devs.  It will be a systematic, figure-the-crashes-out-one-by-one type of situation, so we're going to have persistence-related issues for the foreseeable future.

There's no way to put a time frame on it because I don't believe the devs know all the reasons why the servers crash.  Persistence will only be completely fixed once all those reasons are known, reproduced and fixed.

• Sad 1

Okay we cleared that up. 

Edited by eno

5 minutes ago, eno said:

No idea why you quoted me and then insult the optimism like the reference pertains to me.

He was taking a jab at me I think he got confused in his wisdom

• Like 1

Cleared up.

Edited by eno

5 hours ago, eno said:

No idea why you quoted me and then insult the optimism like the reference pertains to me.

Yeah, that was maybe unclear. But my intention was to support you and follow your train of thought. I remember you well from the "how's your day(z)" thread (BTW, how is ZH?) and always respected your input. And I think it's a shame that BI is losing even folks like you.

And I do think that it's the latest possible time to get "realistic", yes.

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, choppinbroccoli said:

He was taking a jab at me I think he got confused in his wisdom

To be honest, I just wanted to avoid a direct exchange with you. Dude, what are you doing? All you do is keep saying "oh I guess I'm stupid and you're smart, ooh oh" in a faux-sarcastic way. Where's the purpose of that? Should I (we) feel somehow embarrassed for looking down on naive statements? Because I never do. In fact, I can take your posts and say them straight-faced. Yes, I'm wise enough not to fall for a persistence fix in several days - granted, I don't think it takes that much wisdom.

If a guy comes up to me and says: "ooh, look at you, what a smart roundearther, mr smartass, I guess I'm stupid for being a flatearther, ooh", I'd reply with "dude, not only I agree, but saying this thing with airquote sarcasm doesn't help your case at all, so please knock it off."

If you think your faith in an immediate fix is reasonable, please state your reasons. If you don't think it's reasonable (and I think you don't), please don't get offended by people pointing out exactly that.

If the fix does show up in a few days, I'm gonna come over here and sincerely apologize to you and the devs. What will you do if it doesn't?

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, drgullen said:

The reality of the situation is that the persistence issues are tied to server crashes which have been happening in all versions of DayZ in one form or another going back to the original Arma II mod in early 2013.  The DayZ Server can crash for many reasons, so this isn't going to be a quick fix on the part of the devs.  It will be a systematic, figure-the-crashes-out-one-by-one type of situation, so we're going to have persistence-related issues for the foreseeable future.

There's no way to put a time frame on it because I don't believe the devs know all the reasons why the servers crash.  Persistence will only be completely fixed once all those reasons are known, reproduced and fixed.

Yep, this. The reason there can't be a 'fix' is because the problem is inherent in the server structure of the game. It was a niggling problem even when persistence 'worked' in previous builds. 

So whatever the discussion about 'optimism/pessimism' (in which people's frustrations about the game are displaced into hostility to each other...), there is a sound reason why the issue is just not amenable to the devs tweaking some code when they're back from holiday.

• Thanks 1

Get rid of each and every server crash is pretty difficult. Adding new features can re-introduce new server crashes as well. They said that they are looking for a long term solution, which sounds to me more than just fixing each crash that there is.

But then again, there are plenty other base building online games that do not have their bases wiped. So it should not be like re-inventing the wheel.