-Gews-

Reviews starting to come out

6 minutes ago, eno said:

DayZ devs seemed to lose interest in preserving that uniqueness and instead pandered to the shorter term PVP crowd- which was my original point. There is 0 about PVP in DayZ that isn't done better by any other PVP title. 

And now there's very little that sets it apart in its niche market of PVE... since it's not doing that very well either and never really has done so in a consistently reliable fashion. 

So we're left in a state of ambiguity a few weeks after the launch to 1.0 that we all knew was going to be a gong show while the devs enjoy a holiday that couldn't have been more poorly timed. Like I said in another thread... everyone needs a vacation but when the forecast includes launching a severely bugged project to catch money train at Christmas time- plan around it and take the holiday when the dust settles. 

What is that uniqueness in your opinion, if I may ask? Of course, the different aspects of DayZ on its own are no match against other games, as you stated. There are enough PVP games that are better, as well as games that offer a better survival experience. But if you take all these things into one game and then compare that full game to other similar games, then there is no other that really surpasses it.

Anyhow, the devs have a ton of work to do and I do really wish them the best with it. I personally hoped to have a better working 1.0 right now and i'm disappointed that this is not the case, especially during these holidays.

No one has successfully made a game with 100 players 400sq km and a credible number of animals and zombies. This right here is really the best that we have that I know of.

All the money right now is being made on 64km square maps or likely much smaller with zero AI in effect.  At 8X8 km this game would likely work with a few hundred zombies. But that is not the target. 

Everything better we see in the game vs 6 years ago from a performance stand point could be chalked up to 3 iterations of Moores law. PC and video card horse power has doubled 3 times during the "development cycle" (assets of course are much nicer)

How many times over the years have people on this board said that anyone who questioned the duration of development and the crazy slow progress just didn't know anything about software or game development. lol. The various generations of devs that have worked on the game have done some great stuff. But the original mod dude thinking that the underlying structural challenge of the game was trivial to resolve was always going to taint this project. Because its at the very fundamental of the game scale that the problem lies. 

• Beans 1

I dunno, I still find Dayz as a welcoming addition to other games in my whole gaming experience, playing for an hour or three. That's the main thing. Despite this latest official release to the public and how it's going through.

4 hours ago, amadieus said:

Well to be fair, there is not really any game similar to DayZ that is significantly better. 

Not true, dayz .49 at least you had fun in it. Our numbers where high, we had high interactions etc...

But we did donate for a new engine and all :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/dayz-review/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

"February, 2013. Barack Obama is in the White House. ‘Thrift Shop’ by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis is topping the charts. The Harlem Shake is taking the internet by storm."

So I played a bit after 1.0 went live.  It was an ok experience.  Spawned in.  Got into a fist fight with some jerk.  Kicked his ass.  Met some guys and wandered around the map for an hour or so.

Honestly though, after 5 years and around 350 hours of play, I'm just kind of bored of DayZ.  There just isn't that overwhelming sense of dread about being sniped or accidently agroing a whole city full of zombies.  I don't know.  For me, the SA has never really captured that same sense of impending death as the Mod did all those years ago.  I'm just kind of disappointed at this point.